NEPAGCA

matcat

Ok, just saw the note for slogans.

Since you're almost copying SEPAG's name, how about almost copying their slogan.

"Almost Never Lost"

"Rarely Lost"

"Sometimes Lost but we have GPSrs"

Or if those aren't right, how about:

"North of SEPAG"

"They have the Liberty Bell, we have rocks"

"Trackinthebox was ours"

"We're almost part of NY (or NJ, whichever is more positive)"

I vote for NY.. Sentences containing NJ are seldom positive. I used to live there, so I am allowed to say that :rolleyes:

Ok, just saw the note for slogans.

Since you're almost copying SEPAG's name, how about almost copying their slogan.

"Almost Never Lost"

"Rarely Lost"

"Sometimes Lost but we have GPSrs"

Or if those aren't right, how about:

"North of SEPAG"

"They have the Liberty Bell, we have rocks"

"Trackinthebox was ours"

OK, that is too funny, TITB was ours". The best part is, it's true, he's all yours, NEPA. :P Now who is going to claim King Riched? B)

Just confirming the obvious. Too much snow for Sunday morning hike. I'd still do it, but not with an almost two year old on my back. There will be plenty of time to do the caches in the future. Sorry, we'll have to plan ahead next time. Maybe we can have a BYOL (Bring your own lunch) or even a mini camp fire on the way back to these two caches one day. Seems like it would be a cool event, no sure if it's PA game lands or what, so not sure about an open fire. let us know what you think.

Just confirming the obvious. Too much snow for Sunday morning hike. I'd still do it, but not with an almost two year old on my back. There will be plenty of time to do the caches in the future. Sorry, we'll have to plan ahead next time. Maybe we can have a BYOL (Bring your own lunch) or even a mini camp fire on the way back to these two caches one day. Seems like it would be a cool event, no sure if it's PA game lands or what, so not sure about an open fire. let us know what you think.

Snowshoe caching anyone? We're up for it if anyone else has the proper gear. As for campfires, we can just bring our camp stoves for a nice hot meal. For anyone interested, I can show how to make a ultralight camp stove for pennies that runs on a couple teaspoons of rubbing alchohol. I've used it successfully on the side of a mountain above treeline, in the snow with a steady wind. Total weight is about 2.6 ounces.

Yup,

A trek to "The Mills" would be a journey more enjoyed in fair weather.

As for snowshoeing, I already had my sights set on a trek tomorrow morning in Nescopeck State Park. Any interested fellow cachers let me know. I may have a spare pair of shoes available. Or if you slip on over to Sam's they have some for under $60.00.

This may be a mushers last chance.

MtnDave

Snow doesn't scare me B) Though I don't have any proper gear, but, nothing I couldnt quickly get or make myself, hehe. Now where did I put those old tennis rackets... rofl

I don't think trudging through 10-14" of snow would be a fun event. Like WBFD said, there will be other days. The area is SGL, however I hunt back in there and build small fires to warm up all the time so I don't think anyone will give us a problem.

Actually, there is a rather nice area between the two caches, down by the stream that would be perfect for a little campfire lunch, etc. There is a campfire ring already there, plus a few places to sit, etc. We could do something between caches, or better yet after both are done.

Snowshoe caching anyone? We're up for it if anyone else has the proper gear. As for campfires, we can just bring our camp stoves for a nice hot meal. For anyone interested, I can show how to make a ultralight camp stove for pennies that runs on a couple teaspoons of rubbing alchohol. I've used it successfully on the side of a mountain above treeline, in the snow with a steady wind. Total weight is about 2.6 ounces.

Ok, I'll bite...how does one make an ultralight camp stove for just pennies? Sounds interesting....

I should have the actual site up on the new host tonight, I am just waiting on this stupid hosting company to setup the account :). They say instant activation, with up to 24 hours of wait time... go figure :wub:. Anyway, its nearing 24 hours, so I should be able to get it up tonight, and I will start working on the next steps for it, including the Slogan, and I like NEPAG - Discovering Northeastern Pennsylvania's Hidden Treasures myself :wub:. Though someone elses suggestion of rotating seasonal ones arent that bad either.

Ok, I'll bite...how does one make an ultralight camp stove for just pennies? Sounds interesting....

It's the soda can stove that was developed for 3rd world nations recovering from natural disasters. It consists of two soda can bottoms, a piece of metal ducting tape and a few minutes of your time. That's about it. Here are the directions: http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsistove.shtml

With a little time and ingenuity we've built a few different versions, but they all work very well. Oh, that weight is for stove, windscreen and pot stand. Actual stove is approximately 0.3 ounces. :)

It's the soda can stove that was developed for 3rd world nations recovering from natural disasters. It consists of two soda can bottoms, a piece of metal ducting tape and a few minutes of your time. That's about it. Here are the directions: http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsistove.shtml

With a little time and ingenuity we've built a few different versions, but they all work very well. Oh, that weight is for stove, windscreen and pot stand. Actual stove is approximately 0.3 ounces. :)

Oh, that is nifty! Thanks for the link. I have to show Whistler and he can try making one with the kids. How much alcohol do you use and how long can you expect that amount to burn?

I should have the actual site up on the new host tonight, I am just waiting on this stupid hosting company to setup the account :wub:. They say instant activation, with up to 24 hours of wait time... go figure :wub:. Anyway, its nearing 24 hours, so I should be able to get it up tonight, and I will start working on the next steps for it, including the Slogan, and I like NEPAG - Discovering Northeastern Pennsylvania's Hidden Treasures myself :). Though someone elses suggestion of rotating seasonal ones arent that bad either.

A series of seasonal slogans was a joke. I was dead serious about the "gurks" though. But Stellarscapes' is perfect!

Hey Dave:

How far is the treck in Nesco Peck?

I have the shoes,but sitting around all winter I may not be in shape.

The last storm I lent them to a neighbor to go to the store,and he wouldn't give them back.

The snow it be delightful and comming down hard. I'm going to take advantage of this last blast to get out on the shoes.

Sure would be fun to do a little trompin with some fellow cachers. Currently I have a spare pair of snowshoes on hand and up for grabs for a fellow Geocacher to join in. I'm counting on getting out into Nescopeck SP tomorrow and again on Sunday.

So who else is in?

Whistler:

Take 1 roll of toilet paper, drop it in a coffee can{fits just right].

go to the drug store and buy a couple of pints of Isoprop.Alcohol very cheap stuff.

pour over the toilet paper,and light. Keep warm, heat food, soup, etc.

I had one of these in my tree stand for years.just snuff it out,and put on the plastic lid until next time .

Lasts forever. :)

Oh, that is nifty! Thanks for the link. I have to show Whistler and he can try making one with the kids. How much alcohol do you use and how long can you expect that amount to burn?

Two tablespoons will boil a metal camp cup (about a pint) for a few minutes usually. Wind, temp and elevation are key factors, too. I've used olbluesguy's method, too (LOTS of heat), but these are much smaller, lighter, and leave no dirty residue if you use mineral spirits. The stove, fuel & a couple nesbitt tablets for emergencies will all fit inside a cat/dog/tuna fish food can with one of the little plastic lids for easy packing. :wub:

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

Hey Dave:

How far is the treck in Nesco Peck?

I have the shoes,but sitting around all winter I may not be in shape.

The last storm I lent them to a neighbor to go to the store,and he wouldn't give them back.

The snow it be delightful and comming down hard. I'm going to take advantage of this last blast to get out on the shoes.

Sure would be fun to do a little trompin with some fellow cachers. Currently I have a spare pair of snowshoes on hand and up for grabs for a fellow Geocacher to join in. I'm counting on getting out into Nescopeck SP tomorrow and again on Sunday.

So who else is in?

Maybe Sunday, have to watch the weather :) We'll probably hit up some local trails to avoid the highways tomorrow.

Dave:

just got back in from shoveling .Too late to call you this evening.{too tired too]

What time are you heading out?

If not to early, Ill give you a call. We have got to let them plows do their job in the AM.

Parking may be a problem up there with the snow .

OBG

OBG,

I figured with I give the boys a chance to clear the way on Saturday and head out about 11:am, give or take. Give me a shout and we'll figure where to meet up. Any other Saturday takers just e-mail me.

Maybe Sunday, have to watch the weather :) We'll probably hit up some local trails to avoid the highways tomorrow.

Fox & Hound,

Likewise on Sunday. Maybe a bit earlier since I have the Girl Scout Geo-class Sunday evening. Don't want to be too pooped. Any other Sunday takers just e-mail me.

Edited by mtndave

Ok a post up on the website, I have the host up and going, however the domain's dns settings havent kicked in yet, so I am taking up the time setting up the backend stuff for the webpage, I.E. switching it over to use MS SQL 2005 instead of access, and adding in a few features. Anyway, I don't want to get too technical, just know it will be up and about very soon :). Hey, I'm interested for tommorow, though I have not nor ever used snow shoes :wub:

Hey, I'm interested for tommorow, though I have not nor ever used snow shoes :D

MatCat,

Just say your IN for tomorrow and the shoes and all the gear you need for the day are yours. If you can walk you can snwoshoe. HONEST !!!!! Way easy and a very cool way to see PA.

So are ya in ???

MtnDave

Whistler:

Take 1 roll of toilet paper, drop it in a coffee can{fits just right].

go to the drug store and buy a couple of pints of Isoprop.Alcohol very cheap stuff.

pour over the toilet paper,and light. Keep warm, heat food, soup, etc.

I had one of these in my tree stand for years.just snuff it out,and put on the plastic lid until next time .

Lasts forever. :D

That is so neat! And easy too. Too bad half the coffee cans are plastic these days. Someday a regular metal coffee can will be a rare artifact, like a carbide lamp is.

Had a good time snowshoeing today, was quite fun! Hey, the website is up, http://www.nepageocachers.org, check it out. I will be working on it today, tomorrow. But for now its operational as it was, with some additions to the back end, which will be apparent from the front end soon.

Looks good! Let me know whatever you want for graphics and I'll try and hook you up. I already have a wallpaper for anyone who wants it. :anicute:

MatCat, Mt.Dave, and I on my vintage Canadian trapper Snow shoes did our trek today, and I am proud to say that there were no calls made to 911. [On my behalf]

There was, I am sorry to report a MAJOR charley horse at the most inappropriate time later in the day.

Thanks Dave , for bieng first in line.

OBG

MatCat, Mt.Dave, and I on my vintage Canadian trapper Snow shoes did our trek today, and I am proud to say that there were no calls made to 911. [On my behalf]

There was, I am sorry to report a MAJOR charley horse at the most inappropriate time later in the day.

OBG

OBG,

Always a pleasure to break trail for a fellow woodsman. It WAS a great day and a nice trek down to the Nescopeck and back.

Some day you will have to explain to me exactly what IS "the most inappropiate time" to get a charley horse. By the way, I recall I did mention the possibility of little post-shoeing discomfort. :anicute:

MatCat,

Great to meet you and kudos on your first time on the big shoes. You did well Grasshopper. Next we'll send you to Stiffler so he can show you how to jump off a cliff (with a rope that is). :huh:

Thanks for all you efforts setting up the website and we all are pretty excited. I've got a good feeling that the 3rd time around is the charm. ;)

MtnDave

Edited by mtndave

OBG

OBG,

Always a pleasure to break trail for a fellow woodsman. It WAS a great day and a nice trek down to the Nescopeck and back.

Some day you will have to explain to me exactly what is "the most inappropiat time" to get a charley horse. By the way, I did mention the possibility of little post-shoeing discomfort. :anicute:

MatCat,

Great to met you and kudos on your first time on the big shoes. You did well Grasshopper. Next we'll send you to Stiffler so he can show you how to jump off a cliff (with a rope that is). :huh:

Thanks for all you efforts setting up the website and we all are pretty excited. I got a good feeling that the 3rd time is the charm. ;)

MtnDave

I am glad I am young, I feel right as rain ;) Jumping off of a cliff... ;) We will see about that one, hehe.

It was a great time, I look forward to the next time we can go out hiking, I have a lot of trails to cover around here! hehe.

Hey, send me those pics too that you took today when you get a chance.

Although I'm in Brooklyn, NY now... I'd be happy to come to one of your future events.

My Best Friend lives in W-B, and I graduated from Tunkhannock, a lonnnng time ago.

I almost bought a house in W-B last month, but the inspection brought too many woes.

Glad this group was formed!

I love Stellarscapes' slogan idea - about discovering the Hidden Treasures....

On my first visit to the forums in a few weeks, and what do I find? This thread made my day!!

Sooo glad to see this getting off the ground. Best wishes for success, and LOVE the logo, Hound!

p.s. Don't listen to ODragon. The last time I listened to him my truck ended up needing floatation and a USCG icebreaker! :)

Edited by denali7

denali 7:

Is that for real your honest to God Location?

Is there really a Brick up there?

OBG

Hehe...I wish! There are really a bunch of storefronts and that wall mural in the town of Roslyn, WA, where the show was filmed. (Remember Cicely's partner, Roslyn? Her name is a bit of a thanks to the locals!)

Sorry to say, I'm in NJ, but I usually exercise no full acceptance of that reality! :)

Edited by denali7

denali 7:

Is that for real your honest to God Location?

Is there really a Brick up there?

OBG

Hehe...I wish! There are really a bunch of storefronts and that wall mural in the town of Roslyn, WA, where the show was filmed. (Remember Cicely's partner, Roslyn? Her name is a bit of a thanks to the locals!)

Sorry to say, I'm in NJ, but I usually exercise no full acceptance of that reality! :ph34r:

I don't understand why everyone is sorry to say they are from NJ. I spend a lot of time there fishing at the

shore, and think it's rather nice.

On second thought I spend most of my time in South Jersey. :ph34r:

I have four relatives strategically placed between Sandy Hook, and Cape May,

and anyone who has a boat at the shore is my new best friend .LOL

O’BGI

:(

I give Up!.....I tried to register,but I was caught up in an endless loop of your username is wrong,or your password is wrong,or Whatever.

One time it tells me my username is wrong,and when I try to re- register it tells me I am already registered with that name. can't even do the forgot your password routine......????????

I give Up!.....I tried to register,but I was caught up in an endless loop of your username is wrong,or your password is wrong,or Whatever.

One time it tells me my username is wrong,and when I try to re- register it tells me I am already registered with that name. can't even do the forgot your password routine......????????

Ok let me wipe you on the forum so you can restart :o

Yes I have a similar problem.. Matt has wiped my data out twice so I can start over yet I still am not registered. This time I registered and it didn't recognize my password, but it did allow me to try to retrieve it and sent me a new one... I figured I could then log on and change it back to what I wanted, but it didn't recognize the password it had just given me so I still can't log on. :D I'll try again tomorrow.

Yes I have a similar problem.. Matt has wiped my data out twice so I can start over yet I still am not registered. This time I registered and it didn't recognize my password, but it did allow me to try to retrieve it and sent me a new one... I figured I could then log on and change it back to what I wanted, but it didn't recognize the password it had just given me so I still can't log on. :D I'll try again tomorrow.

[/quot

Ed... do what I did to get back in. Go into your history and log in from the last time you were in before the foul up. matcat will fix it.

OBG