Garmin City Navigator Question

Geo-G's

Hello,

I have been lost all day and haven't even ventured out with the GPS unit yet.

I am still trying to put all the pieces together for our first geocaching trip. First I just have to vent a second about the frustations of Garmin's website and 1-800 number!......Okay, I'm done.

I now know that I need City Navigator in order to "get there from here". I understood that Garmin does not have a preprogrammed micro SD card of this mapping software. As I was searching eBay I came across a seller who states he does have it compatible for various GPS models in the 8.0 NT version. He has positive feedback from several buyers who have purchased the product.

Has anyone out there purchased, or heard anything about City Navigator North America in this format?

If advised to steer clear of this seller's product is there somewhere else outside of Garmin where I can purchase the DVD, UBS cable and micro SD card? By the way I have the eTrex Venture Cx.

Thanks for any and all information you can provide!

Geo-G (to be)

If advised to steer clear of this seller's product is there somewhere else outside of Garmin where I can purchase the DVD, UBS cable and micro SD card? By the way I have the eTrex Venture Cx.

Geo-G (to be)

You can purchase the software, cables and so on from a number of on-line retailers. Amazon carries all these accessories, and although may not have the lowest price you can find, is generally dependable and trustworthy.

Because CN requires an unlock code, I personally would steer clear of auction sellers. Others may have very different opinions.

Geo-G (to be)

You can purchase the software, cables and so on from a number of on-line retailers. Amazon carries all these accessories, and although may not have the lowest price you can find, is generally dependable and trustworthy.

Because CN requires an unlock code, I personally would steer clear of auction sellers. Others may have very different opinions.

After doing a lot of research last night the CN preprogrammed micro SD card is looking better and better to me. Can you tell me more about the unlock code though? Who provides that information and what potential problems are there if buying CN from a source other than Garmin? Thx.

You can try this website for your SD card Micro SD I have purchased several from them with no problem. As for the USB cable any computer store will have that cable it is the same cable used by several of the palm products and several digital cameras.

I would purchase the software from Amazon. Hope this helps a little.

You can try this website for your SD card Micro SD I have purchased several from them with no problem. As for the USB cable any computer store will have that cable it is the same cable used by several of the palm products and several digital cameras.

I would purchase the software from Amazon. Hope this helps a little.

I appreciate the link for the SD card. Thank you.

I had pretty much decided Amazon was the way to go for the software but as it turns out they don't have the micro SD version of City Navigator North America. Any other recommendations? And about that unlocking code...is that provided by the retailer with your purchase? As I was Googling the unlocking topic it seems as if its another potential frustrating problem for those of us that are technically challenged.

<snip>

I now know that I need City Navigator in order to "get there from here". I understood that Garmin does not have a preprogrammed micro SD card of this mapping software. As I was searching eBay I came across a seller who states he does have it compatible for various GPS models in the 8.0 NT version. He has positive feedback from several buyers who have purchased the product.

Has anyone out there purchased, or heard anything about City Navigator North America in this format?

Geo-G (to be)

For that GPSr, you might find the best deal to be a combination of the bean-bag auto mount, cigarette-lighter adapter, and City Navigator maps. I got that from J & R for about $140.00 a while back.

Unlocking the maps is not difficult at all. You can put the maps on as many computers as you own, but only two GPSrs. So you can put it on your Venture Cx now and if you upgrade in a couple of years, you can put the maps on that new GPSr.

I just downloaded the Mapsource map update yesterday using a WiFi connection at my local library. Since it is more than 45 MB, it would have taken forever with my dialup connection . . . faint.gif You'll want that once you have the maps installed on your computer.

Happy caching! :rolleyes:

Edited by Miragee

Hi Miragee! :rolleyes:

Now back on topic....

As far as buying the City Navigator software, I'd strongly recommend against buying the version that comes pre-programmed on a MicroSD card. You can pick up a 1 GB MicroSD card for $15 or $20. Buy the City Navigator NT a software on DVD ($110-$115 is a fairly good, easy to find price) and pick up a MicroSD card on your own, then load the software to it. It's much cheaper and you can upgrade the version of the software without having to re-buy another MicroSD card.

Now back on topic....

As far as buying the City Navigator software, I'd strongly recommend against buying the version that comes pre-programmed on a MicroSD card. You can pick up a 1 GB MicroSD card for $15 or $20. Buy the City Navigator NT a software on DVD ($110-$115 is a fairly good, easy to find price) and pick up a MicroSD card on your own, then load the software to it. It's much cheaper and you can upgrade the version of the software without having to re-buy another MicroSD card.

I appreciate all the input. I'm just so anxious to actually get caching yet so unfamiliar with all the tech know-how involved to get to that point. I'm curious to know why you would strongly recommend not going with the preprogrammed card. Are you aware of problems with it or is it an issue of caching in cities other than where you live where the mapping software can quickly become unfamiliar and outdated?

Now back on topic....

I appreciate all the input. I'm just so anxious to actually get caching yet so unfamiliar with all the tech know-how involved to get to that point. I'm curious to know why you would strongly recommend not going with the preprogrammed card. Are you aware of problems with it or is it an issue of caching in cities other than where you live where the mapping software can quickly become unfamiliar and outdated?

Read DocDitto's reply carefully. It's economics. The same maps are $50 or so more on the microSD as opposed to buying your own blank microSD card and City Navigator on DVD. Put the same maps on the microSD and save some dollars!

The downsides:

1) Can not view the maps on the computer. This is very useful for planning.

2) Can not upgrade the cards. The DVD versions can be updated at any time in the future for a reduced cost.

3) Can not use them on two units at the same time.

4) Cost.. MSRP for the City Nav NA is $200 on microSD card and $140 on DVD.

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynavnt.jsp

Yep... what they said.

The most important function I use is the maps on the computer at home.

I dump the geocaches onto the computer and sort, filter, and route... on the big screen at home.

Once I'm done, I download the geocaches (and sometimes the maps ) onto the gps unit.

I don't worry about the unlock codes.

If I mess up the gpsr's (yes, 3 of them), I just download the latest firmware and software right off the Garmin site (I am PC challenged too).

Since my gpsr's are recognized by the Garmin site (legal software), it has never been a problem getting the latest versions and patches.

Yep... what they said.

I dump the geocaches onto the computer and sort, filter, and route... on the big screen at home.

Once I'm done, I download the geocaches (and sometimes the maps ) onto the gps unit.

If I mess up the gpsr's (yes, 3 of them), I just download the latest firmware and software right off the Garmin site (I am PC challenged too).

Since my gpsr's are recognized by the Garmin site (legal software), it has never been a problem getting the latest versions and patches.

Yep... what they said.

Wow...VERY helpful information! Points I hadn't even considered, such as viewing the maps on PC for planning purposes ahead of time. Thanks to all.

Yep... what they said.

Me again...back so soon with another question...

What is the difference between City Navigator North America DVD & DVD NT versions?