Controlling Map Appearance on Cache Pages

ePeterso2

I recently edited the text of the description of my Earthcache The Everglades: River of Grass, and saw something odd happen.

Before the edit, the map shown on the cache page was a very nice image that looked like a Topo map, with the state and county name as well as little swamp symbols and even the name "The Everglades". An example is here at GCJA5T.

After the edit, the map changed to what I assume is a tiger.census.gov image showing nothing but a horizontal line on a blank background with a star in the center at the coords. Far less nifty-looking than the old map.

How the heck does the system decide which map to use? And why should my edit have changed the map choice? I didn't change the coordinates at all. And is there any way for me to tell the system that I'd like to use the old version of the map?

I'm assuming that the answer to my final question is "No", but I'm hoping someone here knows diff'rent.

-eP

We have a batch process that goes through all the new and edited cache pages and replaces the Tiger maps with the nicer looking maps. Its a very slow process, but your cache should be updated with the new maps in a little while.

:blink: Elias

We have a batch process that goes through all the new and edited cache pages and replaces the Tiger maps with the nicer looking maps. Its a very slow process, but your cache should be updated with the new maps in a little while.

:blink: Elias

That's what we've heard, but a cache we generated 2 1/2 weeks ago (GC11489) still has the tiger.census.gov map. We tried edits, and leaving it alone, but it has yet to be graced with a "pretty" map. How long does the nominal "little while" usually take?

TheZigs

:laughing: Elias

That's what we've heard, but a cache we generated 2 1/2 weeks ago (GC11489) still has the tiger.census.gov map. We tried edits, and leaving it alone, but it has yet to be graced with a "pretty" map. How long does the nominal "little while" usually take?

TheZigs

Seems perseverance (or at least patience) paid off. The nice map has been generated for our cache. Thanks!

TheZigs