eXplorist 500/600 (EU) Firmware Upgrade Version 2.57

Anyone know what the Magellan firmware update 2.57 has to offer that is different from my 5.2.03 version? Somewhat hesitant to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading,Kinda "If it aint broke don't fix it" mentality. Don't know why Magellan doesn't state the added features on the website. I will wait for a response before clicking "download".Cheers! :D

here is what is new: https://www.magellangps.com/support/softwar...600_4257_rn.asp

1. German grid fix regarding accuracy of position

2. New Swedish grid for SWEREF99

3. New SD Card management :

* Main Menu changed to move Map selection easier to access,

* Map selection Title changed from “active setup" to “active map"

* Auto-detect on Plug in/out SD Card and popup menu to propose detail map selection

* SD-card folders not anymore renamed (from original English)

4. Communication screen modified to add configuration between (USB and serial) for usage of new NMEA accessory cable

5. New navigation screens added :

* NAV screen

* SPEED screen

* TIME screen

* LARGE FONT screen

* Option in Preferences to select/deselect each of the navigation screens

6. VMG (velocity made good) added to information selected on configurable fields

dear lord, I've been waiting years for this and finally another version is released. LOL

I had given up....

looks like they brought back the screens from the sportrak series..

I guess europe is always first since their operations is over their. didn't they get taken over by another company a few years ago or did that deal die out.

I haven't been keeping up..

Edited by flir67

Thanks allot for the poop on the upgrade!,Can you tell me if this upgrade will benefit me if I am in Canada (and I am!) or is it more for the European market? can't see me using the Swedish or German grid fix but the other improvements seem interesting.

If the XL and--what was it, the 400? 210?--are any predictor, you benefit most from the options of the additional screens. Those of us who prefer miles over metric will have to switch that setting; otherwise I think we'll be good to go.

I haven't done the upgrade yet, as I'll have to wait for some spare time later today. But I expect to do it as soon as I get a chance.

Hmmm... tried uploading it as per the instructions and I get this:

at 31.8% it produces this "ERROR:Writing File E:\USBTRANS\USB0002.DAT

and then:

Make sure there is space on the card and files are not write protected

(note: the instructions told me to remove the card.... strange... I will try uploading it with the card in it and see what happens...)

DD

I just installed the new update and it appears to be working great. I like having the extra screen's back. It may just be me but it seems to aquire the sats quicker.

I had no problems at all with the update.

I thought it might address the new daylight savings settings for the US but it didn't.

Lee

Edited by gdps

I don't suppose that anyone has any idea when the North America version will come out? Since everything in regular memory has to be wiped, I would rather wait and do it once - unless it is likely to be weeks or months. Not a big deal to back up everything but why bother. Its still a pain to re-enter personal info.

Find-me

This is unreal.I am new to the sport (4 months) and used the explorist 400 as well as the etrex Yellow fellow

But this update is beyond anything i dreamed of.More screens speed projected driving etc.It worked just fine going in and man AM i gonna have fun now!!!!!Thanks for posting it...........

P.S. my sat lock does seem faster here in texas too!!!!!!

P.S.S. didnt know we could use the eu update for north american units but it sure seems to work in mine....which is the explorist 500 north american,not the LE version.

I have a eXplorist 500 North America edition (LI-Ion battery, not the LE AAA version)....

I would like to up grade from 2.03 to 2.57. Has anyone tried it on a NA edition eXplorist 500?

Did you save your base map first?

What about the new NMEA/serial cable mentioned as an option?

so would it be safe to assume since the 500 and 500 le are the same minus power connections shipped with - that one could try this update on a 500le?

What do I need to do to back up the base map etc?

Yes, safe assumption.

Since the explorist seems to be prone to basemap hosing, it's not a bad idea to back up your basemap to hard drive (you may want to copy it to SD card if you have the room, just to have it there if needed). Connect in data transfer mode to internal memory, and copy the BASEMAP.MGI file that's in the Background Maps folder.

Edit: just did the upgrade on my 500; all seemed smooth. I didn't bother to remove the SD card, as all my data was replaceable and I'm not convinced it's necessary. Nice to see some screens with *bunches* of data fields again.

Edited by embra

I thought it might address the new daylight savings settings for the US but it didn't.

I didn't ever look before so I don't know if it was always there, but I see in menu/preferences/clock that one can customize the DLS settings. I still had to manually reset the time, though...I guess that setting the beginning and ending of DLS only prompts an event that is triggered on the given date parameters.

Edit: I just saw in posts on the Yahoo group that this feature is available on older firmwares as well.

Edited by embra

Regarding the basemap file as described by embra. You can copy the Background Maps folder and the file will go with it even if you do not see the file. To see the file you must uncheck the Hide Protected Operating System Files in Tools/Folder Options/View in Windows Explorer.

My update went smoothly as per the instructions. Well, now my compass is precisely 90 degrees out regardless of how many times I recalibrate, and the weather features are broken--won't let me recalibrate, stuck at +277 deg C and 1686 mbar. :rolleyes:

I'm in Australia, and the local distributor points to the euro updates from http://www.magellan.com.au/Pages/Downloads...ndName=Magellan.

OK, so service menu 22 "Clear calibrations of electronic compass, barometer, and thermometer", then a FULL compass recalibrate (extra calibration tasks due to the reset) did the trick. I tell ya!

And, the new screens and possible customisations are very nice. :rolleyes:

Edited by mcjimminy

I've got a 600 NA, upgraded to the new firmware 2.57 (EU), I didn't backup the base map. After the upgrade, the NA base map was still there with all the Interstates, US Roads and State Roads on it. When I scrolled over to the EU however, there were no roads available. I even took out my SD card, just to make sure it does not read any data from the card.

I conclude, if you have a 500/600 NA version you can safely upgrade with the EU firmware and you will retain your US base map.

Edited by SwissTeam

My 500 is one of the originals the North American and the update works just fine. I did have to change back to Feet and Miles from metric. I did back up my basemap but I did not re-load it and the base map has all same things that it did before. I did take out my SD card and when I put it back in and made my detail map that was on it active it picked it up no problems.

I don't see any reason to upgrade again when the official NA version of the update comes out, this one is working just fine.

The Daylight Savings settings won't let you select the second Sunday it will only let you select First or Last and then what ever day of the week you want. I just turned the daylight savings off and will update it myself when I need to.

so would it be safe to assume since the 500 and 500 le are the same minus power connections shipped with - that one could try this update on a 500le?

Yes, safe assumption.

Since the explorist seems to be prone to basemap hosing, it's not a bad idea to back up your basemap to hard drive (you may want to copy it to SD card if you have the room, just to have it there if needed). Connect in data transfer mode to internal memory, and copy the BASEMAP.MGI file that's in the Background Maps folder.

Edit: just did the upgrade on my 500; all seemed smooth. I didn't bother to remove the SD card, as all my data was replaceable and I'm not convinced it's necessary. Nice to see some screens with *bunches* of data fields again.

Hi embra old friend

so did it affect your basemap?

DC

Yes, safe assumption.

Hi embra old friend

DC

Hi ya Dot com it didn't effect my base map at all Im not sure but it seems like it does have a few more items for the map display, I may be wrong there.

All I had to change back was kilometers to miles everything else seems to be working great,screens similar to the sport track or the meridian series.

I think this update will be loved just like 2.05 was

PS as for daylight savings time go to menu , preferences, clock, set the time there then scroll to customiize and you can set the dates there,Hope this helps

Edited by vagabond

anyway to upload the firmware with a newmac :rolleyes: , I just sold all my pc's and can't get the firmware on it

I used Virtual PC 7 on my PowerBook G4 to do the update. I use this for running the MapSend lite software too. If I had newer machine I'd run Windows XP under Parallels to do this kind of stuff...one day.

Hi embra old friend

DC

Why, my basemap is fine; thank you very much.

...I did see a mention in the Yahoo group that one person who did the upgrade found himself in the continuous NAND loop. I forsee a missing basemap once he fixes the loop thing.

I upgraded tonight with no issues with the base map, however I am having issues with the Temp and Barometer. I cant seem to bring up the hidden menus. When I try it with the power on no luck at all. When I try it with the power off I get a screen the says "NAVTEQ all rights reserved" Any thoughts?

I upgraded tonight with no issues with the base map, however I am having issues with the Temp and Barometer. I cant seem to bring up the hidden menus. When I try it with the power on no luck at all. When I try it with the power off I get a screen the says "NAVTEQ all rights reserved" Any thoughts?

I couldn't get the service menu from power off, but was successful once powered on with:

- press "menu" once

- toggle the four-way controller

- right

- left

- right

- left

This brought up the little two digit service menu box in the middle of the screen with the value "00".

I used the four way controller to dial in "22" then pressed it to enter. There's then a "Yes" or "No" confirmation, along with a warning that "This is a bad idea", which I ignored. I think that the unit powered off by itself after I confirmed this setting.

I also used this technique to get to service menu 03 and disable WAAS--as there's no service in Australia, and I'm not sure what the eXplorist is doing with the Japanese MSAS test signal. After changing this setting I needed to power off manually.

Obviously proceed at your own risk, but my compass/weather/barometer never looked like functioning post update until I did the above.

One other note: it took me three goes to follow the complete compass re-calibration instructions correctly (I'm a bit slow), requiring a return to the service menu each time I got it wrong. "Head" is the end that says "eXplorist"; when they say "tilt sideways" they mean on its side edge (90deg); position the unit as requested and wait for it to set data points and beep when ready for the next position; and the clue that you got it right is that when you get to the beginning of the regular calibration, the spirit level thingo functions correctly (it was stuck/motionless before the service reset).

Oh, and another note: when I first reset and powered back on, I couldn't see anything on the weather screen for a little while. Don't panic, it came back fine. Maybe it just needed to take some readings before it could display anything???

I don't have any observations to add to the basemap discussion. My unit shipped with DiscoverAus Streets & Tracks Topo on an SD Card (which I removed as directed during update). I'm not sure what the basemap story is with this setup, but nothing seems to have changed.

Hope some of this helps someone!

Is anyone else now getting a "Database Copyright Notices, Magellan © SDK" screen for a second or two on startup?

Edited by mcjimminy

Is anyone else now getting a "Database Copyright Notices, Magellan © SDK" screen for a second or two on startup?

Nice post. There does seem to be a copyright notice for a couple of seconds on bootup now, although it may vary by region. I saw Navteq and Trails.com get a mention here in the states...no SDK that I saw.

After a bad experience upgrading my new ROADMATE 6000T and dealing with Magellan and their repair facility, I reluctantly went ahead and did this upgrade on my Explorist 500 (not LE) and it worked like a champ! Now it's just like having a sportrak color with expandability! I had no problems with the basemap (which I did back up just in case) and I've loaded the direct route software to it and it's working great! The daylight savings fix would've been nice but maybe it'll be in the NA version. <_<

After a bad experience upgrading my new ROADMATE 6000T and dealing with Magellan and their repair facility, I reluctantly went ahead and did this upgrade on my Explorist 500 (not LE) and it worked like a champ! Now it's just like having a sportrak color with expandability! I had no problems with the basemap (which I did back up just in case) and I've loaded the direct route software to it and it's working great! The daylight savings fix would've been nice but maybe it'll be in the NA version. <_<

for daylight savings time go to menu , preferences, clock, set the time there then scroll to customiize and you can set the dates there

for daylight savings time go to menu , preferences, clock, set the time there then scroll to customiize and you can set the dates there

Ya, I already have it set but I appreciate the help anyway. Bob

I have a eXplorist 500 North America edition (LI-Ion battery, not the LE AAA version)....

I would like to up grade from 2.03 to 2.57. Has anyone tried it on a NA edition eXplorist 500?

Did you save your base map first?

What about the new NMEA/serial cable mentioned as an option?

I have the same unit as you NA 500 I had 2.03 on it.I followed the site directions and it loaded in fine with only the poi etc loss on the internal memory (due to it being reset)so it does work and work ver very well indeed.I reccomend it to ALL 500 owners.......

I also upgraded today with no problems. The one screen that I miss from my 4000XL still isn't here, A second Location screen. I switch between UTM with NAD 27 for use with real topo maps and Lat Lon with WGS84 when I am caching. The rest of the new screens aren't real useful for hiking and caching. Maybe in the next release they will add the second customizable location screen. Even a customized field in one of the other pages to show the location in any of the formats and datums.

Chuck

Edited by resqroz

Upgraded my 500 with no problems. It went very quickly, about a minute, although the program on my computer screen indicated that it was not done. But the eXplorist screen restarted and showed the new version number.

I went through all the menus, and set things to my preferences. I am using the Data and Speed Screens in addition to the original 4 (you can choose which to show.) I tried routing with Direct Route, and Track and road Vertical profiles with Topo3d, and all works well.

The time of day is now reset and within a second of true time. By clearing the internal memory, I cleared all of my saved Tracks and now accessing the Tracks is very quick (I backed up everything first.) I think the best thing to do if saving many tracks is to archive them on the SD card.

Overall, an improvement and I recommend that you upgrade to the new firmware. The only thing missing that I would want is the north reference choice of mils in addition to degrees.

One question I have is: has anyone gone into the POI.dat file in the USBTRANS folder and modified items such as Geocache, Max=200 and seen if this affects the allowable number of caches in this item?

I decided to give this a try. Overall, I would say that performance is the same. The new nav screens are interesting but I'm not sure whether they will be particularly useful - time will tell. I haven't done any geocaching with the new software yet. Base Map appears unchanged.

I have noticed that although the unit responds at about the same rate, it seems to take longer to access some items from the menu. In particular, it seems to take quite a long time to bring up the track log page, especially if there are any long tracks in there. I cleared an old (fairly large track) and the process speeded up greatly.

One question about settings... Under "Track Mode" (sub-menu of "Map Setup"), what do you set? Options are Off, Auto, Auto Detailed, and a selection of distances from 0.01km to 2km (I am set for metric). I assume the different settings will tell the unit how often to choose a track point to record? Any recommendations? I haven't played with this very much and it is currently set to the default (Off), but it still records a track log.

Thanks

Find-me

Edit: HAs anyone found an updated Explorist 500 manual based upon the software revision? I had a look but the one for the older version is still on the Magellan website (unless I'm looking in the wrong place).

Edited by Find-me

I have noticed that although the unit responds at about the same rate, it seems to take longer to access some items from the menu. In particular, it seems to take quite a long time to bring up the track log page, especially if there are any long tracks in there. I cleared an old (fairly large track) and the process speeded up greatly.

One question about settings... Under "Track Mode" (sub-menu of "Map Setup"), what do you set? Options are Off, Auto, Auto Detailed, and a selection of distances from 0.01km to 2km (I am set for metric). I assume the different settings will tell the unit how often to choose a track point to record? Any recommendations? I haven't played with this very much and it is currently set to the default (Off), but it still records a track log.

I hadn't checked out the track menu access times yet, but what you describe was true of the 2.03 firmware, too. I've learned to not have a lot of long tracks stored in that folder.

Your track setting depends on your use. Auto detailed is usually a nicely efficient way to keep track of things. If you are recording a cross-country trip, long intervals might work fine. If you want more detail, shorter intervals will help a lot. For detailed hiking tracks, I go for the maximum data log: every .01 km or .01 mi.