eXplorist 600 USB Device Not Recognized

Hi all...

I've had my eXplorist 600 for 6 months or so and it's been working fine with my PC. Beginning today, I've been getting USB Device not recognized errors when I power the unit up while connected to my PC. I realize the cable being installed wrong can cause this but, like I said earlier, I've been using it for months now so I know the cable is connected the right way.

Just wondering if it could be a bad usb cable, or maybe the unit itself is bad? Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!

Regards,

Goren

Are you using a USB hub to connect to the PC? And whether or not you are using a hub or connecting directly to the PC, have you changed which port you are using?

No, no USB hub involved. And I'm using the same port I always have. Basically, nothing has changed on this end, except now it doesn't work.

After it quit working, I did eventually try a different port, however, just to see if maybe the port it was in had gone bad. I was hoping it would reinstall but it didn't ... same result. I also tried it on a completely different PC (a laptop) with the same result. I have other USB devices on my PC which are working fine.

Edited by Goren & Eames

I submitted my problem to Magellan support and I got back exactly what I expected: a lame email asking me if I had the cable plugged in correctly, asking me to disable everything else on my PC basically, reboot several times, stand on my head while hitting ctrl-alt-del with my elbow, etc, etc. If you've ever dealt with Magellan support, you know exactly the kind of email I'm talking about.

and then, of course, my favorite ending: "we are confident this will solve your matter".

Well, my matter isn't solved. I'm going to try and borrow a cable from my brother-in-law tonight and see if that will solve my "matter".

Strange I had the same issue last week. Taded out the cable for the one I use for travel and it worked fine. Then last Friday same issue (with the travel cable). Went away for the weekend and plugged it in tonight and it works fine. Not sure whats going on.

Same thing here I've had problems off and on with the data cable I keep in the RV sometimes it works other times it doesn't, I had to go out and get my spare from the car this afternoon so I could connect to the pc.

Huh. I was thinking the cable, too. You may be right about the unit.

There seems a remote possibility that there's a firmware glitch or something like that. Although I don't really expect it to make a difference, you might try clearing all memory and whatever other system resets you can think of. You might see if there's anything on the rhamphorinkx site that might suggest itself as worth trying. I'd suggest reinstalling the firmware, but I guess that's not an option for you at the moment.

Out of curiosity, do you get the same error trying to connect internal as well as SD memory mode?

I think ultimately you will have to talk to someone on the phone about it. (I'm surprised you actually got an email response, never mind that it was useless.) I think trying a known-good cable on a known-good computer should facilitate a warranty repair.

It does the same thing regardless of whether I'm trying to use the internal or SD memory. I've reset everything I can think of, so I guess the next step is the dreaded phone call to support.

I just called but they're closed for Today. Guess the fun can wait until tomorrow.

FYI. I had the exact same issue with my 600. I sent it in for repair. It came back AND STILL DIDN'T WORK. I sent it in a second time (Magellan paid for postage both directions this time.) When it came back, it was perfect and has been fine ever since.

The good news is that the support folks were actually very good each time I called. And on the final call, I got in within a minute.

Good luck. B)

I just purchased an eXplorist 500 from the bargain cave at Cabela's. Item was in perfect shape. I get it home and I'm having the same problem you described so I'm guessing that is why it was returned. I'll call Thales and see what they tell me. I'm just kind of ticked off that I can't connect it to load up waypoints to go out geocaching tomorrow. I guess I'll have to hand load them in so I don't miss the trip!

I called Magellan support and after going through their troubleshooting steps (all things I've already tried, but I guess they have to be sure), they decided they were going to send me a new cable. When I told them I already tried a known, good cable, they told me to send the entire unit in.

I used it yesterday to go caching (manually entered the coordinates), but will send it in to the repair center tomorrow. Hopefully it will get back fast, and be repaired!

We were having the same trouble with our explorist 500 earlier this week. We knew it had worked before, but it just wouldn't do so this time. Before I called them, I reread their connection instructions...lo and behold, when I followed their precise (read as OCD) instructions, it worked like a charm!

It makes no sense to me why it has to be done in just that way, but the computer recognizes the device again...

The rather particular series of instructions is this:

Turn on computer (nothing connected)

With GPSr in OFF position, plug in USB connector to back of device

Plug AC adapter into outlet

Plug AC adapter into USB cord

Plug USB cord into computer

Turn on GPS device

At this point, the GPSr should go into "comunication" mode and the PC should be able to recognize it. Good luck!

I've been having the same exact problem.

I've changed out three (3) different cables; two I've been using and another I just purchased online, and it still isn't working.

Top this all off with sending it back in to Magellan and just getting it today only to find nothing changed!@#!!

I'm about ready to switch to Garmin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone else have any more ideas on how this can be fixed?