UK Maps for Garmin

SCOTUS

Good Day,

I will be traveling to Scotland in approximately 2 months and would like to get UK maps for my 60Cx to use while I'm there. I can't seem to find any the US side of the Atlantic, so I'm reaching out to you to see in you know of any good mapping programs that will work with a GPSMap60Cx.

I've heard rumors of a UK only map program, but I can't find it. Also do you have any suggestions for non-Garmin maps?

Thanks,

SCOTUS

I've heard rumors of a UK only map program, but I can't find it. Also do you have any suggestions for non-Garmin maps?

Are you thinking of Topo GB V2. Mapsource is the application which manages the maps and Topo is the UK detailed and routing map. There's loads of threads relating to it here. Costs about £145. It has topographical information as well as tracks, paths, roads, POI etc.

Only Garmin mapping products can be loaded onto a Garmin GPSr.

I asked Garmin a similar question. This is the reply I got back:

There are two maps I would recommend for the GPSMap 60Csx, City Navigator V9 NT or the TOPO GB software.

Please follow this link for more information on the City Navigator software; http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSourc...navntEurope.jsp

Please follow this link for more information on the TOPO GB software; http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/topogb.jsp

Both of these can be used to program routes on and off roads (you need to change the setting in the 60CSX to follow road or not).

The difference is that the TOPO only covers GB. It is the same data as city navigator but with topographical data overlaid.

City Navigator has street level detail maps for the whole of Europe.

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe

Hope this helps.

Edited by Eladrevoc

Garmin maps are poor and PDAs crash so often, I'm thinking of going paper <_<

I own a Garmin C510 and a Garmin Vista Cx that share City Navigator Europe NT V9. I also have an Ipaq PPC/Phone running TomTom 5 with a BT GPS.

I cannot agree with some parts of the statement above - I find that Garmin map/software updates incorporate new roads and dual carriageways ages before TomTom pick up on them. For example, the TomTom 5 still does not have the "new" dual carriageway between Attleborough and Thetford on the A11 - it's been there ages and feature in CN V7 several years ago. Goodness knows when the new bit of dualling of the A11 north of Attleborough will appear (it only just been opened, not included in CN9). You can also have a good laugh with TomTom if you care to drive up the A1. There's a whole lot that route TomTom are not aware of.

My Garmin kit, compared to my TomTom 5, is far superior in re-routing, it calculates the new route afresh when you divert off of the planned route. TomTom stubbornly insists on trying to take you back to the original route as soon as possible until you go through the menus to force it to calculate a fresh route. It then sulks and insists on completely ignoring any parts of the "old" route. Usually, I have to pull over for a second time after a deviation and get TomTom to recalculate the original route again....

I agree the comment about PDAs though, my Ipaq is flakey and falls over often needing soft resets. However, as an all-in-one solution, it is excellent. TT5 with POI Warner for Safety Cameras, MM 2004 for OS Maps, a phone, total synch with Outlook for contacts, birthdays, to-dos and other important stuff, Scrabble, Listpro, a Bluetooth keyboard (text as fast as the kids), earpiece and GPS, Expenses Manager, Word, Excel, e-books... it is a total boon.... oh! and GPSonar for Geocache files of course. This piece of kit is in constant daily use for work, probably the most heavily worked item I own. If it was bust tonight, I'd go out and buy a replacement tomorrow morning.

The difference is that the TOPO only covers GB. It is the same data as city navigator but with topographical data overlaid.

I find this an amazing statement from Garmin. :unsure: I have both products and know that Topo is vastly more detailed, not with just topographical information but all sorts of ROW.

I find a lot of people criticise Topo, but I wonder if they have used V2 (I understand V1 was vastly inferrior). I have a working knowledge of many mapping products and I find it an excellent product - not quite as detailed as Memory Map 1:25K - but not too far off, and way, way cheaper, you can load it on a Garmin GPSr and you can route on it!

The worst thing with Topo is that on the PC you are only allowed to view a small section of map at one time. This is to stop map printing.

P.S. City Navigator is a waste of time for geocaching / walking. It's great if you want to find a certain street in Belgium though. <_<

On the same-ish subject, I have a Garmin GPS MAP 76-S. This is the B&W model that came before the 60-CS.

I'm not thinking of replacing it any time soon as I love it (and it was expensive). However, I don't know whether the topo maps would display OK on the screen of the 76S.

I've looked at the Topo maps on the website and I'd like to go for it.

Garmin say it's compatible, so that's Ok. Anyone have any more info?