60CSX Daylight Savings Time (DST) Patch?

Jeff B

I wasn't sure if it would happen or not, but alas, my Garmin 60CSX didn't recognize the new DST.

Does Garmin have a patch? If not, what's the best way to adjust the time, so the sunrise/sunset/etc times are also correct?

Many thanks!

Jeff in Dallas

:blink:-->

QUOTE(Jeff B @ Mar 11 2007, 12:05 PM) 2756777[/snapback]

I wasn't sure if it would happen or not, but alas, my Garmin 60CSX didn't recognize the new DST.

Does Garmin have a patch? If not, what's the best way to adjust the time, so the sunrise/sunset/etc times are also correct?

Many thanks!

Jeff in Dallas

There's a 3.20 firmware upgrade, however there are some issues... other threads here mention them. Easiest way to make the change without the update is to go to the main menu - settings - time - and turn the Daylight Savings from "Auto" to "Yes".

:blink:--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeff B @ Mar 11 2007, 12:05 PM) 2756777[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Many thanks!

Jeff in Dallas

There's a 3.20 firmware upgrade, however there are some issues... other threads here mention them. Easiest way to make the change without the update is to go to the main menu - settings - time - and turn the Daylight Savings from "Auto" to "Yes".

Thanks for the tip on the time adjustment... because of the issues with 3.20 I decided against updating my 60CSx.

I don't quite understand the need for all these patches. I had to update, windows, my windows smartphone, my palm, my gps, and certain windows programs. Wouldn't it have been easier to just change the time on all these devices? I'm just confused when I spent almost an hour downloading and installing patches and in 5 minutes I could have changed the time. :rolleyes:

I don't quite understand the need for all these patches. I had to update, windows, my windows smartphone, my palm, my gps, and certain windows programs. Wouldn't it have been easier to just change the time on all these devices? I'm just confused when I spent almost an hour downloading and installing patches and in 5 minutes I could have changed the time. :rolleyes:

When you apply a patch, you do it once and it's done. When you simply change the time, you need to do it twice every year when DST starts and ends. Patching is a hassle but in the end it's easier then running around to all your devices every 6 months to re-set the time again... and again.... and again.

Edited by DocDiTTo

Well, I still have to change the time again and again on both of my vcr's and dvd players, as well as my new dvd recorder. One of them even synchronizes it's time with the cable signal, but it didn't auto correct. My g shock watch that synchronizes with the atomic clock signal from Colorado will not get an update to correct this either. My new Sony alarm clock I think can not be updated either. So outside of my pc, pocket pc, and gps units, I have to manually change the time. It would be nice if more manufacturers had some way of either updating or manually entering variable information like this to automate the units operation. In the big picture of things though, this is what we have had to do for years already.

But then next year, you won't have to mess with it! (at least that is the theory! :rolleyes: )

Let's hope so. But there is a provision in the legislation that allows DST to revert to the 1st weekend of April if not enough energy savings are not seen from the change. Yikes. Re-re-patching. Not fun, considering the issues with the patches this time around.

JD

But then next year, you won't have to mess with it! (at least that is the theory! :rolleyes: )

Let's hope so. But there is a provision in the legislation that allows DST to revert to the 1st weekend of April if not enough energy savings are not seen from the change. Yikes. Re-re-patching. Not fun, considering the issues with the patches this time around.

JD

Right, and if Garmin comes out with a replacement for the 60C(S)x in the meantime, then our units become "Legacy" meaning no patch. But we can hope that won't happen!

Better yet, you would think that a lot of these devices would just get the current time from the airwaves :huh:

JD

See, that's what I don't get. Now when I wake up in the morning, I have to turn on the lights in my house. Also, I get home from work when the sun is higher in the sky. That means I may have to turn on my air conditioner.

JD

See, that's what I don't get. Now when I wake up in the morning, I have to turn on the lights in my house. Also, I get home from work when the sun is higher in the sky. That means I may have to turn on my air conditioner.

The theory is you would have had the A/C on anyway, but you don't have to turn the lights on but for an hour or two before bed--like I said, that is the theory...

And I wonder how many of our politicians even CARE what their utility is each month?

Answer: Zero.

The cost for businesses to put this new DST change into effect has got to be astounding. And it probably rivals or exceeds any savings that was supposed be as a result.

For us small-time users the problem was more-or-less easily solved... download a patch to the GPS. For the airlines, companies like UPS and FedEx, maritime users -- I don't even want to THINK about how much trouble they're having. <_<

On top of the inconvience of changing clocks and "patching", we give everyone a case of "jet lag" twice a year--without having to take a trip. :)

-Paul-

Every Fall, my mother used to sigh, "Well, I guess we're back on Daylight Wasting Time!"