GPS UNIT 60CSx

I'm new and a big hello to everyone first. I'm getting interested in this geocashing and I have my eye on this unit gps 60csx. My question is this the right unit for me as I know nothing about any of the gps units. I would like all kinds of input bad or good. I would just like to get off on the right foot. Thank you, Pete

I'm new and a big hello to everyone first. I'm getting interested in this geocashing and I have my eye on this unit gps 60csx. My question is this the right unit for me as I know nothing about any of the gps units. I would like all kinds of input bad or good. I would just like to get off on the right foot. Thank you, Pete

I prefer the 60Cx. It is the same except for compass and altimeter. I've read about the difficulty with calibrating the compass so am happy with the 60Cx.

It must be less expensive as well.

I prefer the 60Cx. It is the same except for compass and altimeter. I've read about the difficulty with calibrating the compass so am happy with the 60Cx.

It must be less expensive as well.

Hey Thanks, I looked them up and there is a 20 dollar difference. The best price I found was PC Nation. If someone knows a better place to buy one please send me a pm or a reply here, Thanks Pete

Hey Thanks, I looked them up and there is a 20 dollar difference. The best price I found was PC Nation. If someone knows a better place to buy one please send me a pm or a reply here, Thanks Pete

Try shipdog.com I picked up my 76CSx last week , no shipping and no tax if you don't live in NY state.

You will also need map software it only comes with basemaps (big roads and big towns) so plan on paying

$100 bucks minimum

I am looking into gps mapping software now if anybody has input I would like to hear about your software if it will fit the 60 or 76 CSx

I would like topos, need input, thanks

Its a fine unit for geocaching, does a good job with driving direcitions and a great all around unit. Probably the best handheld all things considered that you can buy right now.

I can't think of a better place to buy it than PCNation. Just bought my 60CSx there and have to admit that it was one of the smoothest online transactions I've ever made. I ordered on a weekend and on Monday morning they even called my to verify my order before shipping it. I will definitely buy from them again.

The 60csx compass is indeed kinda a pain and needs to be calibrated after every powerup in order to display your direction correctly when you're moving at foot speed.

As for difficult to calibrate, no not at all. It is quick and easy -- just annoying to remember to do it.

You do need to buy CN but the Garmin topos are so-so. Better than nothing, but not great. You can build your own topos (see thread in this board about it), but they won't have as much meta-data (roads, trails, towns, etc).

The 60csx compass is indeed kinda a pain and needs to be calibrated after every powerup in order to display your direction correctly when you're moving at foot speed.

As for difficult to calibrate, no not at all. It is quick and easy -- just annoying to remember to do it.

You do need to buy CN but the Garmin topos are so-so. Better than nothing, but not great. You can build your own topos (see thread in this board about it), but they won't have as much meta-data (roads, trails, towns, etc).

I have a 60CSx and only have to recalibrate the compass when I change batteries, not turn it on, so it really is no big deal. One thing I found out about the altimeter is there is no way to disable it if you are in an airplane and want to track elevation. I was hoping just for the fun of it to track the elevation on a commercial flight but this is not possible since the cabin is pressurized.

I have a 60CSx and only have to recalibrate the compass when I change batteries, not turn it on, so it really is no big deal. One thing I found out about the altimeter is there is no way to disable it if you are in an airplane and want to track elevation. I was hoping just for the fun of it to track the elevation on a commercial flight but this is not possible since the cabin is pressurized.

Never have to re-calibrate the compass on my 60CSx unless I change the batteries either.

I have a 76CSX and my wife has the 60CSX...

Digital compas is easy to use & quick and easy to calibrate...

(and on both units, only has to be calibrated after battery replacement)...

and it is invaluable when you go to a multi-cache that has stages that are referenced by range & bearing as opposed to Lat/Lon...

works nicely when you are using the arrow window at a walking pace also...

I would spend the extra $ for the CSX model...

when u need it it is there, and is about the same price difference as a good compass...

although, I still carry a good regular old compass with me...

I am a sailor, and KNOW NEVER TO DEPEND ON ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT 100%!!!

You do need a simple backup... that does not require electricity or batteries...

(If it wasn't price prohibitive and impractical and unweildy and require so much education...

I'd carry a sextant also... but for geocaching, I think that is a little overkill!!!) :D

I do know how to use a sextant and...

We DO carry a sextant on the sailboat!!! :angry:

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

I have a 76CSX and my wife has the 60CSX...

Digital compas is easy to use & quick and easy to calibrate...

(and on both units, only has to be calibrated after battery replacement)...

and it is invaluable when you go to a multi-cache that has stages that are referenced by range & bearing as opposed to Lat/Lon...

works nicely when you are using the arrow window at a walking pace also...

I would spend the extra $ for the CSX model...

when u need it it is there, and is about the same price difference as a good compass...

although, I still carry a good regular old compass with me...

I am a sailor, and KNOW NEVER TO DEPEND ON ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT 100%!!!

You do need a simple backup... that does not require electricity or batteries...

(If it wasn't price prohibitive and impractical and unweildy and require so much education...

I'd carry a sextant also... but for geocaching, I think that is a little overkill!!!) :D

I do know how to use a sextant and...

We DO carry a sextant on the sailboat!!! :angry:

I can't think of a better place to buy it than PCNation. Just bought my 60CSx there and have to admit that it was one of the smoothest online transactions I've ever made. I ordered on a weekend and on Monday morning they even called my to verify my order before shipping it. I will definitely buy from them again.

I want to Thank everyone for the input. Now I just need to justify on getting one. I always have a fear of getting lost in the woods and I have been lost already but always found my way but with some extra walking. Once I found the road that day I was just happy to do the extra walking. The geocashing sounds like it coulkd be fun and I need something to get me out of the house, Thanks again, Pete

That's a funny question. Since this GPS is about as good as it gets, it's going to be right for you no matter what you do with it. The only regret you could possibly have is that you spent too much when all you wanted was a navigational paperweight to hold down your paper map while you look at it on the hood of your rig.

Edited by Renegade Knight

That's a funny question. Since this GPS is about as good as it gets, it's going to be right for you no matter what you do with it. The only regret you could possibly have is that you spent too much when all you wanted was a navigational paperweight to hold down your paper map while you look at it on the hood of your rig.

You are probably 100% right

If you have to be moving in order for the compass to read correctly then you're not using the magnetic compass in the 60CSx. The 60CSx compass will read accurately standing stock still if it is turned on. As with other responders, I only have to recalibrate when I change the batteries. When most people talk about the compass in the 60CSx being a pain they are referring to having to hold the unit level to get an accurate reading. You can set when the magnetic compass kicks in in the menus to get around this.

Its not geocaching, but on just one weekend outing with my son's Scout troop my Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSx came to the rescue multiple times:

1. PROBLEM: We're about to head out from the local church with five vehicles and two of them are nervous becuase it is snowing out and they don't know the route. SOLUTION: Use the 60CSx's Find > Addresses to find the address of the Scout Camp we're heading toward on the 60CSx and use the route provided to give directions, including intersection ramp numbers.

2. PROBLEM: We get about three miles down the road during a fairly bad snow storm and one of the drivers realizes that she has NO windshield wiper fluid left. Another realizes he only has 1/4 tank of gas. SOLUTION: I use the 60CSx's Find > Fuel Svc. to find the nearest gas station where they get both wiper fluid and gas.

3. PROBLEM: As we near one of the turnoffs the blowing snow is so bad that we have troubles reading the signs, and one of the drivers radios that he thinks we missed the turn. SOLUTION: The 60CSx says that the turn is 1.5 miles ahead. We didn't miss it.

4. PROBLEM: We finally get to the cabin after three hours of driving through nasty weather only to realize that while the boys did pack the weekend's food, they didn't pack any cooking or cleaning gear and it is currently 10:55 PM. Sigh. SOLUTION: Used the 60CSx's Find > Shopping to locate the nearest Walmart. We use the phone number from the GPS to call ahead and see how late they are open. Whew, they stay open 24 hrs a day. Off we go to buy some gear to get us through the weekend.

5. PROBLEM: One of the assistant scoutmasters comes down with the flu overnight (I had to clean "it" up! Yuck!!!) and he wants to check into a local hotel to avoid giving it the Scouts. SOLUTION: Used the 60CSx's Find > Lodging to find a nearby Hampton Inn, and used Hampton's phone number from the 60CSx to call ahead and see if they had a room with a microwave oven so that the poor sick leader can heat up some cans of soup (he is diabetic and always brings soup and a plastic mess kit). By Sunday morning he was feeling a LOT better.

6. PROBLEM: On the way home I was driving along enjoying the sunny weather and really ALMOST missed the interstate turnoff to head south. SOLUTION: The 60CSx's routing beeped to warn me that the turn was coming up. Whew!

Oh, and I haven't had any unusual problems with calibrating my electronic compass either.

I have been lost already but always found my way but with some extra walking.

Great way to look at it! Reminds me of what Daniel Boone once said, "I've never been lost, but there's been times when I've been a might bewildered."

I'll bet he would have liked a 60Csx, or maybe it would have ruined the adventure for him. I have a 60CSx and a VentureCX and find myself usng the VentureCX more and more. It definately gives you the most bang for the buck, and I like the size and weight. Some find the screen to be too small. The only advantage I can see in the 60CX or CSx is that they have more ability to acquire a lock in limited sky conditions. They will also lock faster in good sky conditions. Once locked, however, I find the performance comparable.

We have gotten a bit off topic, but while we are sharing stories, here is mine:

A couple of years ago, My wife and I were driving to visit her parents about 6 hours away. We left after work, so we would not be arriving until late. We got about two-thirds of the way there and I realized I needed coffee. So, I pulled up the nearest McDonalds (they have the best coffee) on my 60CS, got their phone number and called them. I figured if I ordered coffee at the window, I would have to wait 20 minutes on it. This way, it was fresh, hot and ready when I arrived. My wife thought I was cheesy, but I thought I was clever and creative!

My experience with my purchase of my 60Cx last week from http://gpsnow.com/gmmap60cx.htm.

I selected the unit I wanted, add to the cart, filled in credit card number (new customer). Clicked on the continue and noticed that I had an slight error in my address (it didn't quite match my billing address) So I returned and corrected and continued thinking there wouild be a "final submit" button as there are in many places. It ws then that I concluded that I had just bought twoo of them.

I thought, ooops, but I could resellit pretty easy. But I no more then thought this when the phone rang from the site Rep asking me If I really wanted to purchase two units. Nope, so he cancelled one and sent me email confirmation of same.

WOW. this is great customer service IMO.

I thought the price was okay also.

dave

I was on the fence myself... until I realized that the 60CSx has two things I will probably never use: the electronic compass and the barometric pressure sensor.

Price-wise, both units are pretty close in cost ($25 difference at Amazon), but I went for the Cx. A little cheaper, and I can use that money to buy a bigger memory card.

Has anyone purchased the Garmin Instructional DVD for the 60CSx? Is it worth the $$?

Big waste of money - better spent on mapping products, a nice case or screen protector.

The best way to learn how to use the thing is to open the box - read the first few pages of the manual on how to turn it on and initialize it. Read a little more beyond that - then get outside and play with it a little bit. Don't worry about screwing up the settings because you can always reset the unit back to factory defaults and start all over. If you have questions, go back to the manual. If it ain't in the manual, then the answer is no farther away than this forum!