Geocaching Causes UK Bomb Scare !

Yep, the cache was "Posh Cache In The City" and it certainly has been moved due to the fact that it was discovered by some kids and taken to school as an exhibit!

AFAIK, there was no controlled explosion yesterday and the police appear to be ok about it (now) but suggest letting them know if any caches are left in very public places.

As is very often the case, the good old British press don't quite get the facts right :ph34r:

I suppose 'Global Positioning Device' sounds more exciting than 'plastic 35mm film container' :blink:

On a more serious note, I hope this doesn't cause any ill feelings by the-powers-that-be towards Geocachers in general. It's not surprising that caches in some public places might be mistaken for something more sinister though. I now understand why most caches contain the wording "Contents Harmless" :ph34r:

Gavin

Read the Peterborough Evening Telegraph story here

Rather heavy report I have to say! Hopefully people will get curious about what this game is and join up!

D@mn! If all caches includes GPS devices I'm going to do it every day! I really love the press and their ability to get things so completely wrong.

It's a real shame, as the cache was done to bring cachers into Peterborough so that people could see some of the interesting areas that Peterborough has to offer.

Remember, don't play games behind the back of civic buildings :rolleyes:

Blimey - just read it and could not believe that comment. Talk about making things up to make your local newspaper story a bit more exciting.

We've not done the cache concerned but would bet good money it was nothing more than a magnetic 35mm film can or a magnetic hide a key box.

I'm tempted to think that the cache wasn't "a blue box with wires trailing out".

Creative reporting?

From the logs it was a small tin with a magnet on the back. Sounds like the magnet fell off and the cachers used a blue rubber band from inside the cache to secure the magnet to the box. It was probably this band that mistaken for the wire...

Good work for using their inginuity to try and keep the cache in place. Shame it turned out the way it did.

You can always rely on the press to go in with both feet without getting the facts straight...

Rather heavy report I have to say! Hopefully people will get curious about what this game is and join up!

What we do need to be aware of is that the bomb disposal got called out, and it was the council that called them out.

This is not a good advertisement for our hobby, and the question has to be asked, was permission obtained for the placement of the cache? If it was obtained then why did the council report it to the police and then the police get the bomb disposal out?

What we view as perfectly harmless, it is quite obvious that others that don't know may view as dangerous.

In days gone by the IRA would have classed such disruption as a big feather in their cap, many times they would report that there was a bomb that did not exist. This last statement is just to let you know how serious this incident actually was, despite how wrong the reporting on it has been.

Can I first say how very sorry I am for all the problems I have caused with this geocache. I never intended to give this great sport any bad press. There was no gps in the cache, there was no wires on it, it was infact a maglight case with a magnet glued to the back of it. The cache originally lived in several places but has either been discovered or pinched, hence moving it 3 times.

It would be a shame to archive this cache, therefore if anyone would like to contribute to the relocation of posh cache in a safe (non-public) place, please contact me.

Ta

BombSniffy, sorry i mean BourneSniffy! :rolleyes:

Can I first say how very sorry I am for all the problems I have caused with this geocache. I never intended to give this great sport any bad press. There was no gps in the cache, there was no wires on it, it was infact a maglight case with a magnet glued to the back of it. The cache originally lived in several places but has either been discovered or pinched, hence moving it 3 times.

It would be a shame to archive this cache, therefore if anyone would like to contribute to the relocation of posh cache in a safe (non-public) place, please contact me.

Ta

BombSniffy, sorry i mean BourneSniffy! :rolleyes:

It was just unfortunate it was your cache. To be honest I am surprised it has not happened before. I know of a couple that we have visited near our new Welsh assembly building - and of course with people on the look out I suppose any of us cachers could be deemed suspicious looking people at times :huh: I don't think you can be blamed for anything and neither do we think it bought geocaching into disrepute. In fact it advertised our sport further and am sure it brought a wry smile to many a face..... :mad:

Wonderful! my daughter also thought we could have gotten our selves a new GPS receiver when she read this on Teletext! However was chuffed to find Tommy Trojan instead this weekend! Must have been the muggles that the cahcers saw in the car that blew the whistle! Keep up the good work BombSniffey :rolleyes: the cache looks good from the geo.com entry!

happy cahcing minxyy

Hi

Found this link elsewhere on geocaching.com.

Could this happen here??

I know we have a good relationship with the Met and presumably City Force for caches in London, but what about this. ;)

Not wishing to insult the IQ of our North American Cousins, but why do they insist on using lots of Duck Tape and placing caches on Electrical Switch Boxes. As to placing a cache that was presumably on the supports of the main interstate bridge, just what sort of reaction do they expect!

Anyone found any such poorly placed caches over here (apart form the infamous Peterborough Incident)?? ;)

Edited by careygang
Hi

Found this link elsewhere on geocaching.com.

Could this happen here??

I know we have a good relationship with the Met and presumably City Force for caches in London, but what about this. ;)

Not wishing to insult the IQ of our North American Cousins, but why do they insist on using lots of Duck Tape and placing caches on Electrical Switch Boxes. As to placing a cache that was presumably on the supports of the main interstate bridge, just what sort of reaction do they expect!

Anyone found any such poorly placed caches over here (apart form the infamous Peterborough Incident)?? ;)

Here's another example of the police blowing things out of proportion. (pun intended)

You can always rely on the press to go in with both feet without getting the facts straight...

Journalists and politicians lying and stretching the truth for their own publicity and own ends.........now there's a thing............

These incidents are too few and far between for them to cause any lasting damage to caching. Common sense usually prevails.

I have been thinking about this issue as we have had the same thing happen over here on this side of the pond. If police (in general) knew more about geocaching this sort of thing might be able to be taken care of easily. When, or if, a possible explosive device was discovered the police simply had one of their office staff drop in coord. for the area of the "bomb" they could find out if there was a geocache in the area. Look at the description of the cache and viola. Of course it would have to be checked out, but it would be a much less involved process. We go up to strange boxes in strange places all of the time. They could do it as well.

Perhaps some cooperative effort can be made between local geocachers and the police. It has been on my mind for some time.

Was it a coincidence that you were there, or did you get a tip off?

I had a tip off. Didn't think I'd get there in time - but ended up waiting over an hour for the bomb squad to get to Woodbury from Devonport...

I couldn't get the video to work, anyone else having trouble with it?

Checked the link and working OK for me.. I love the way the bomb squad bloke puts on evidence gloves before getting the log out - shame you can't hear the laughing on the video.

Well recently when we attended the Somerset meet by the Mogan Mob, Lord Sonatella was waiting in the van as several cachers turned up to go to a nearby cache and a local came out of his house and over to Clive Bongo (that is our van in case you don't know) and asked why people were running around his area with weapons. Yes I SAID WEAPONS. God knows why he thought GPS units were weapons but he did. He was going to ring the police. Lord Sonaella thought about telling him he was the police but that is a criminal offence in itself so he restrained himself an explained the situation. All I can say is that the fellow cachers who were in the area should be glad he stopped a full on assault from the police!! Cachers take care out there lol. Why don't peeps mind their own business

Mark (PopUpPirate) and I were there too. We were on our way to do the cache, and there were three police vehicles in the car park. We strolled down the footpath 0.35 miles to the cache accompanied part of the way by a police officer who informed us that a World War II bomb had been found in a bunker and the bomb disposal squad were on their way. He stopped to take a call and we carried on and soon realised that we needed to be where the bomb was. It occurred to us that the bomb might have been the cache and a call to the original cache owner did nothing to alleviate that thought, nor did reading one of the past logs <_< . The police officer was adamant though that being an ex-Marine he knew what bombs looked like and it was definitely a bomb. We went in search of another cache and then strolled back to see how things were progressing, and were shortly joined by keehotee - looks like the geo-grapevine was working well :D Anyway, it was definitely a bomb, and it was taken out of the bunker and moved to a safe place for a controlled explosion to take place - was a bit of an anti-climax really, we expected a much bigger bang! The cache logbook was signed by the marines and the cache is still intact :( That was an exciting Sunday afternoon stroll! Nice to see you again keehotee - good video. :( We'll be posting pics on the cache page soon. GCRAJQ

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

Mark (PopUpPirate) and I were there too. We were on our way to do the cache, and there were three police vehicles in the car park. We strolled down the footpath 0.35 miles to the cache accompanied part of the way by a police officer who informed us that a World War II bomb had been found in a bunker and the bomb disposal squad were on their way. He stopped to take a call and we carried on and soon realised that we needed to be where the bomb was. It occurred to us that the bomb might have been the cache and a call to the original cache owner did nothing to alleviate that thought, nor did reading one of the past logs :laughing: . The police officer was adamant though that being an ex-Marine he knew what bombs looked like and it was definitely a bomb. We went in search of another cache and then strolled back to see how things were progressing, and were shortly joined by keehotee - looks like the geo-grapevine was working well B) Anyway, it was definitely a bomb, and it was taken out of the bunker and moved to a safe place for a controlled explosion to take place - was a bit of an anti-climax really, we expected a much bigger bang! The cache logbook was signed by the marines and the cache is still intact B) That was an exciting Sunday afternoon stroll! Nice to see you again keehotee - good video. :) We'll be posting pics on the cache page soon. GCRAJQ

Gawd, so all the time cachers have been in that bunker to log the cache they've been near an unexploded bomb? I blame that Hancock chap.... maybe he should be deported to Australia B)

Brill....if not a little scarey!!! shame the camera man was 'scared' by the explosion!!! would have jumped a little higher if you'd set it off at the cache site :laughing: WARNING always look for the 'this is a geocache' sticker prior to opening ammo!!!

Fantastic that the chaps joined in and very pleased to hear that one more site in our beautiful country has been cleared of unexploded war debris!!!

Have fun and cache you soon

minxyy