Website speed is, on average, slow

andrew12901

Dear Moderator,

I have only been a member for 9-10 months, but notice that almost every time I connect to the main website, it can be quite slow loading the pages. Is there a portion of membership dues that goes towards website maintenance? Could donations be made to specifically help with this? I am on a 5x1 cable connection and at times, pages can take 20-60 seconds to load after clicked.

I would like to help if I can because the speed is an annoyance at times. Thanks and please let me know if there are ways that I can help out. From a technical standpoint, I have tested on various computers with different internet service providers and no change. Thanks!

Andrew

p.s. i should mention that everything else is great and I love the website and it's features! :laughing:

Edited by andrew12901

As Lil Devil indicated, they are working on it. And it's not just about money. We have been assured more resources and outside professional programming assistance are being directed at the problem. That being said, a few extra dollars in Groundspeaks hands couldn't hurt.

You are already a Premiun Member. You could extend your current membership to put the money in their hands faster. This is copied from my own account page:

You are a Premium Member. Your membership will continue through Thursday, March 04, 2010.

You could also buy a Premium Membership for a friend or family member. Or you could buy a second Membership for yourself to double your PQ allotment.

Do any of these things if you really feel the need to do more than you already are. But don't expect an overnight cure.

***You are already a Premiun Member. You could extend your current membership to put the money in their hands faster.***

How about other level's of membership to show one's contribution?

Hey, what about that "Titanium" membership I always hear about...for an extra few bucks a year?

Premium = $30

Gold = $40

Titanium = $50

And

Platinum = $100 which includes your own personal IP address on the Geocaching.com servers. This enables you to your own thread on their server's CPU...no waiting, no Busy Server messages...just raw power. Be able to connect when others can't.

Edited by GURU4HIRE

Just a thought......

A few years ago, I had an ISP that extensively used poor managed caching servers (technique used to fool you into seeing faster speeds by temporarily storing pages on thier machines). The effect it had on Geocaching.com was to make it seem as slow as mollases in January. I knew it wasn't the site because at work, a different ISP had blazing speed.

Recently saw another case of this with a California cacher - he switched ISP and all was much faster.

You can tell it's not your ISP when you start receiving "server busy" messages. :blink: I've submitted a trouble ticket as this lack of performance is getting tiresome. This being said, I really enjoy the content and layout. I guess it's a case of wanting to shoot the messenger for his tardiness. :ph34r:

Edited by moop

Dear Moderator,

I have only been a member for 9-10 months, but notice that almost every time I connect to the main website, it can be quite slow loading the pages. Is there a portion of membership dues that goes towards website maintenance? Could donations be made to specifically help with this? I am on a 5x1 cable connection and at times, pages can take 20-60 seconds to load after clicked.

I would like to help if I can because the speed is an annoyance at times. Thanks and please let me know if there are ways that I can help out. From a technical standpoint, I have tested on various computers with different internet service providers and no change. Thanks!

Andrew

p.s. i should mention that everything else is great and I love the website and it's features! :(

REALLY! B) For a while I thought it was my internet connection (it is DSL)....oh well, I figure the new DSL was faster than when I had the stupid dial-up---- thanks for bring this out....hope it will be faster

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[sqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.]

System.Data.SqlClient.ConnectionPool.GetConnection(Boolean& isInTransaction) +474

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionPoolManager.GetPooledConnection(SqlConnectionString options, Boolean& isInTransaction) +372

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +384

System.Web.SessionState.SqlStateConnection..ctor(String sqlconnectionstring) +92

[HttpException (0x80004005): Unable to connect to SQL Server session database.]

System.Web.SessionState.SqlStateConnection..ctor(String sqlconnectionstring) +191

System.Web.SessionState.SqlStateClientManager.GetConnection(Boolean& usePooling) +98

System.Web.SessionState.SqlStateClientManager.GetExclusive(String id) +42

System.Web.SessionState.SqlStateClientManager.System.Web.SessionState.IStateClientManager.BeginGetExclusive(String id, AsyncCallback cb, Object state) +6

System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.GetSessionStateItem() +67

System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.PollLockedSessionCallback(Object state) +198

[HttpException (0x80004005): Exception of type System.Web.HttpException was thrown.]

System.Web.HttpAsyncResult.End() +54

System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.EndAcquireState(IAsyncResult ar) +19

System.Web.AsyncEventExecutionStep.OnAsyncEventCompletion(IAsyncResult ar) +80

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

:anibad:

Will this ever end?