Buoy Cache?

crtrue

Hear me out. These may already exist, but I passed a restaurant on the Row here in Myrtle Beach and the place was surrounded by huge, red buoys...my mind wandered to them floating out in the ocean and it struck me, wouldn't these make for some pretty interesting cache sites? I mean, we have such a huge expanse of the world covered by water and yet to my knowledge this concept exists only in my head / in a few obscure caches I'm going to be pointed to upon a hopeful reply.

Yes, any cache placed would have to be on an anchored buoy, but this is obvious

Actually earlier today, Big Bear (the wife unit) and I were talking about getting a duck decoy and turning it into a cache. I don't know of any, but I'm sure it's been done before. Either way it sound good to me.

Edit cuz I's cant spel

Edited by Totem Clan

Now, if you could get permission from the coast guard and local harbormaster to deploy your own buoy and put a cache on it, that would be cool.

I can't even get permission from the county to place an ammo box at a camping site. I'll cross my fingers that I inherit a buoy, though.

The permission aspect of putting your own buoy in a navigable (public) waterway would be horrendous I suspect.

But hey, WTH, permission is not a REQUIREMENT to list a cache, IS it?

Let's see... you would not have to have permission to play frisbee on the river...

Unless it is against the law to anchor your own buoy, (I have seen a lot of milk jugs anchored in rivers) I think it would make a fine cache. probably gonna have a wet log though. :laughing:

As far as international waters? I suspect that is fair game. Who would you ask for permission? The U.N. perhaps? :ph34r:

As a practical matter, anchoring a buoy sufficiently to prevent its relocation during flooding, storms and the coming destruction of the earth caused by global warming is probably beyond the capabilities of the average cacher.

Edited by Confucius' Cat

As a practical matter, anchoring a buoy sufficiently to prevent its relocation during flooding, storms and the coming destruction of the earth caused by global warming is probably beyond the capabilities of the average cacher.

Now thats just funny, I dont care who you are. :laughing:

Edited by gh patriot

International waters? Doesn't that mean 200 miles off shore or something? You're gonna need a LOOOOOOOOONG anchor chain. :laughing:

Hey, Lobstermen put buoys out all the time by the hundreds. They are color coded to identify the owner of the traps. I don't know if you can put out your own buoys without a lobster license, but it doesn't sound that far fetched to me. Maybe a little research with the fish and game folks or the local harbor authority, or whatever authority covers your area could turn up some answers.

I remember that I researched this topic once, with the aid of a very helpful local cacher who belongs to the Coast Guard. Here goes with what I remember of what I learned: It appears that private nautical buoys are very commonplace in and on bays and coastal waters around the USA; they are regularly used for a great number of purposes, including marking locations of crab and lobster pots, private docks and landings, research and monitoring sensors/transmitters or transponders and even boat race courses and the perimeters of shellfish farms and other commercial ventures. On bays and estuaries and in the ocean along the borders of the USA, and also on many parts of the Great Lakes, it appears that the primary and FIRST authority that one must approach for permission/okay for placement of a private buoy is the US Coast Guard. And, as I recall, the matter of permission/okay is not complicated: the primary limitation is that ALL private buoys must be placed well outside of all buoy-marked shipping lanes, and must be marked with appropriate colors to indicate that they are private buoys. And, for private nautical buoys, use of certain signals/flags is prohibited to prevent confusion with "real" official buoys. And, if placed in rather swift or turbulent waters, all private nautical buoys must be well anchored. In all cases, you will wish to start with your local Coast Guard office. I believe that so long as the private nautical buoy conforms with the above-listed requirements, the Coast Guard does NOT give specific and formal permission, but rather just a general "okay" for the proposed placement, indicating that it sounds like it conforms with requirements.

I remember that I researched this topic once, with the aid of a very helpful local cacher who belongs to the Coast Guard. Here goes with what I remember of what I learned: It appears that private nautical buoys are very commonplace in and on bays and coastal waters around the USA; they are regularly used for a great number of purposes, including marking locations of crab and lobster pots, private docks and landings, research and monitoring sensors/transmitters or transponders and even boat race courses and the perimeters of shellfish farms and other commercial ventures. On bays and estuaries and in the ocean along the borders of the USA, and also on many parts of the Great Lakes, it appears that the primary and FIRST authority that one must approach for permission/okay for placement of a private buoy is the US Coast Guard. And, as I recall, the matter of permission/okay is not complicated: the primary limitation is that ALL private buoys must be placed well outside of all buoy-marked shipping lanes, and must be marked with appropriate colors to indicate that they are private buoys. And, for private nautical buoys, use of certain signals/flags is prohibited to prevent confusion with "real" official buoys. And, if placed in rather swift or turbulent waters, all private nautical buoys must be well anchored. In all cases, you will wish to start with your local Coast Guard office. I believe that so long as the private nautical buoy conforms with the above-listed requirements, the Coast Guard does NOT give specific and formal permission, but rather just a general "okay" for the proposed placement, indicating that it sounds like it conforms with requirements.

Crab Pot bouy ? in the bay, i think you need a permit,

Sounds like you would need the permit to fish crab, not to mark the pot with a bouy.

At any rate this has got me thinking. (insert smoke joke here)

Lobster type buoy ($3 if you can find a single) can be put anywhere. My advice is put it some place it won't interfere with commercial fishing as they tend to get testy. Also, if someone snags it in their prop, you've got a VERY angry Anti-Cacher. Local fishing-types (not Bassmasters-Bubba) could give you area specific answers. A quiet cove is a good bet.

Cache maintenance becomes a big issue. A buoy cache here in Alabama was archived because the owner could not get out to maintain it.

A person who places a cache out in the ocean should have the ability to visit it bi-annually or more oft. It isn't going to get hit all that often, and the odds of it getting muggled are essentially none (outside of an unusual event destroying it). To place a buoy cache should require some sort of evidence in the way of either having a boat, or access to one on a regular basis.

52 minutes ago, hohosanta said:

Come on, guys. Just stick a cache on the buoy. It's no big deal. Since when have we asked permission to hide a cache?

I'd be willing to bet that this post has already been sent to your Reviewer (if there's a next time for placement).  :)

Statements like this is why we often have issues with landowners.

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 1