Urban micro diversion techniques?

There aren't too many urban micro caches around here, so I don't get much practice and have to resort to the rather obvious "tieing shoelaces" or "dropped coins" routine when trying to perform a surreptitious cache retrieval in a public place.

Muggles are probably getting wise to this sort of behaviour nowadays and doubtless merely regard it as a handy guide to a new cache.

Local cachers "Special Branch" have perfected a better routine using a "Gentleman's Appliance" - marks out of 10? Are there superior techniques on offer?

HH

Edited by Happy Humphrey

What's an aryon?

If it is truly an urban hide, I usually don't worry about too much stealth. My experience is people are just too busy ignoring everyone to see you.

Suburban type hides, that's another story. Talking on a cell phone is known to make you invisible.

:laughing: Oops. I's done been egamucated.

I've used several techniques, such as my GPSr becoming a "Cell Phone" or a "Camera". The camera one really drives folks away because they don't want to ruin your shot! I've also explained that I was looking for a poisonous snake or lizard, been a Biologist looking for plant/animal species, been a pier inspector, a fountain repair man..., you get the idea, just make up a suitable story for your surroundings. Sometimes a clipboard, paper and pencil in hand help too!

Have you ever noticed that there are some people who are kinda 'invisible' in public places? Not the young handsome or pretty ones who are smartly dressed and attentive . . . but the 'bums' or , too often, the elderly who seem to amble listlessly?

Just turned 61 and notice that I can now almost disappear in a public place, completely ignored - works for me. Could be a detective, if I was smart enough. Play to the advantage, grab the micro & go!

I agree with Physics Boy, make it look like you are on some sort of official business and are very busy. Carry a notebook and pretend to take notes and ignore everyone else.

Kids are also great, I like to take either my 7 or 8 year old along; they can look anywhere and no one will notice them. Can't bring then both though, 2 kids screaming over who found it first is less than stealthy.

No diversions should be needed. Since all caches submitted have a box checked off that they received permission in the placement of that cache, you shouldn't need to pretend to be anything but a geocacher. Why would you want to pretend to be something else? Stand up and be proud of what you are.

No diversions should be needed. Since all caches submitted have a box checked off that they received permission in the placement of that cache, you shouldn't need to pretend to be anything but a geocacher. Why would you want to pretend to be something else? Stand up and be proud of what you are.

Mis-placed agenda noted, and yet I still feel compelled to state the obvious. :rolleyes:

For the same reason you would wait until muggles passed while doing a cache on a trail or in a rural steeing, youi don't want the cache to be muggled.

Edited by baloo&bd