Servers down

Cache Liberation Front

:sad:

Yep been down since.....5:20p est or so......

I think they may know since it is not just the Server Busy page but I am getting the Broken Signal page.

Strange, First time I've ever seen the broken Signal page. I think it was the Admin that took down the site rather than from crashing

Strange, First time I've ever seen the broken Signal page. I think it was the Admin that took down the site rather than from crashing

That was my impression too. Or perhaps they've gotten enough complaints about "Server too busy" that they've given us a cute picture to look at instead. :ph34r:

(Oh, it's back up, btw) :laughing:

Edited by Too Tall John

0615 EST. I logged a find, dropped off my personal TB, but now, I can't get to the TB page to pick it back up...server down again? This is very frustrating...third time this same thing has happened to me, and I've only been a member for two weeks! Somebody's going to be upset if they go looking for this cache, thinking there's a TB in it... <sigh>

I was having VERY slow response time on the site all day yesterday, although for a few minutes here and there it would come back up to normal speed before slowing down again. Now (7:30 a.m. on the east coast), I am getting only to the home page, then trying to access anything else results in a runtime error or simply "service unavailable."

can get to the front page but not any farther. why on a day when i am trying to get everything pulled together to head out

I learned this lesson a long time ago when I was in the exact same predicament as you are right now. I had to cancel an entire day's worth of caching because I couldn't get access to GC.com. Now I run my PQs at least the day before and update it the day of the trip if I feel it's necessary (which it usually isn't). This has save me many a day!

It's kind of sad that that we have to resort to work arounds like this, but that's what we all have chosen to settle for.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

can get to the front page but not any farther. why on a day when i am trying to get everything pulled together to head out

I learned this lesson a long time ago when I was in the exact same predicament as you are right now. I had to cancel an entire day's worth of caching because I couldn't get access to GC.com. Now I run my PQs at least the day before and update it the day of the trip if I feel it's necessary (which it usually isn't). This has save me many a day!

It's kind of sad that that we have to resort to work arounds like this, but that's what we all have chosen to settle for.

Deane

Well, I do have an older PQ sitting out in GSAK and will run with that if I have to. I usually have everything set the day before, but this time I did not know until last night where I was going to be heading :ph34r:

No problems so far with the site.

It's actually common for a lot of places to do maintenance at the wee hours, especially on a weekend. But I would think with this activity (especially on a HOLIDAY weekend) that they would do it late at night on a weekday.

Cancelling people's caching plans on what would normally be a big caching day (besides the holiday itself, today I can imagine lots of people driving home and stopping for caches along the way) can't be a good thing. Maybe they feared without maintenance the traffic would bring the site down.

Wish someone would tell me why GC.com has to monkey around with there site? It seems everytime they do maintence on the site like they did this morning they screw it up. Why can't they leave well enough alone. It has worked great for the last few weeks or so since they had the last problem with it. NEVER satisfied.

ftjak

Wish someone would tell me why GC.com has to monkey around with there site?

Sure. Would you rather have a featureless site similar to navicache? I know I would not. Besides, servers mysteriously going down in the middle of the night in this fashion *usually* means that something just locked up with the computer. It happens, and someone has to get out of bed and go down and reboot the computer. I appreciate the fact that someone from Groundspeak is willing to be on call and get up in the middle of the night and go do this.

10:30A Pacific.

I've noticed quirkiness since the DST time change. But what I've been seeing lately is that the servers are off by about 12 hours and PQ's take several hours to arrive.

The additional slowness seem to me like an issue with database responses. Is this system running MSSQL & IIS or are these servers running Linux?

The additional slowness seem to me like an issue with database responses. Is this system running MSSQL & IIS or are these servers running Linux?

Netcraft.com will tell you. :ph34r:

Last time I checked, it was possible to build highly unresponsive database applications on Linux or Windows.

I think you mean to say Linux 'And' Windows.

Deane

You might have "chosen" to do that. I didn't.

I'm not sure which surprises me more. The fact that running a PQ the day before you go geocaching is seen as a workaround or that this plan is completely unacceptable to some geocachers. I remember when it would take several days of reading cache pages and printing them off to get ready for a day trip.

Fast food mentality is right.

Edited by sbell111

Despite what some may think it is not "Fast Food Mentality" to expect website features to work when you desire them to much less to expect the entire website to be available when you want to use it. Just because others have used alternate methods in the past to get the results they wanted doesn't mean that I have to "settle" for less than full functionality from a website I am paying to be a member of.

This isn't rocket science - To have to wait for someone to get out of bed and go down and "kick the server" indicates that the servers are hosted in a less professional environment than they should be. They should be monitored 24/7 by an onsite human who could reboot in a matter of minutes instead of hours!

I'm biting my tongue right now to the point of where it hurts because I realize that the TPTB are working on a signifigant upgrade to the website. Note I said biting my tongue not holding my breath.

Deane

This isn't rocket science - To have to wait for someone to get out of bed and go down and "kick the server" indicates that the servers are hosted in a less professional environment than they should be. They should be monitored 24/7 by an onsite human who could reboot in a matter of minutes instead of hours!
Would you like fries with that?

I'm biting my tongue right now to the point of where it hurts because I realize that the TPTB are working on a signifigant upgrade to the website. Note I said biting my tongue not holding my breath.

This is a game. If it causes you this much stress, perhaps you should re-examine why and/or how you "play". If the server is down, I can find other things to do. I don't sit there and hit "refresh" and get madder and madder every time it doesn't pop right up. I'm sorry, but it just amazes me a bit when people get that upset over a game. Life is too short.

I'm just stating the facts. Asking me to "re-examine why and/or how you "play"" isn't a constructive rebuttal, it's a crude attempt to divert attention from the real issues.

Yes, geocaching is a game.

The use of that as an excuse for the sub-standard performance of a for profit company that relys on "the game" for it's income is perhaps an indication of the greater problem. :grin:

Deane

I'm just stating the facts. Asking me to "re-examine why and/or how you "play"" isn't a constructive rebuttal, it's a crude attempt to divert attention from the real issues.

Yes, geocaching is a game.

The use of that as an excuse for the sub-standard performance of a for profit company that relys on "the game" for it's income is perhaps an indication of the greater problem. :grin:

Deane

Perhaps the discussion should be about increasing monthly fees then... I have a hunch that you would complain loudly about that though. I would be more than happy to pay more if it resulted in more cool features and more up-time. Unfortunately, 99.999% up-time costs LOTS of money, more than they have available I would assume.