Search & Rescue Dog Geocoin

The Toogood Family

This is my first go at designing a coin and would appreciate any advice and or feedback about my design.

As a Search Dog Handler (voluntary), I thought that it would be good to recognise the work done by these voluteers globaly.

I was also hoping that the paw print and compass motif might appeal to Geodaogs worldwide too!

So, what do you think?

What size would you like to see it made in?

etc etc

coin_vsmall.gif

I love the idea of the paw print on the compass.

But if someone finds the coin, how do they know it's a dogs paw print.

You might want to include an image of your dog on the other side.

As far as size goes, I would do a regular full-sized coin, not a micro.

Either way, I would definitely buy the coin - as our dog goes caching with us sometimes.

I agree with the others, your avatar design is great! Since it includes the word Dogs you could then have more flexibility of whether to include graphics on the opposite side of the coin.

No matter what happens, I am definitely interested in the finished product!

As a former volunteer Ground Search and Rescue Dog Handler I like your idea of a SAR coin for Search Dogs. My dog was injured to the point where it had to be put down on one job and it was too hurtful to just go and get another. I retired now.

The emphasis should be on the dogs and even a search leash on the back with "SAR" imprinted in the middle somehow. Your coin...put me down for one whateever you decide to do.

Either way, I would definitely buy the coin

Very nice idea!!

Hi Neighbour :-) I agree - your avatar would make a great coin and I would be happy to add one to our collection and to set one travelling. I prefer that one to the initial posting, seems more complete.

If you have permission to use the logo I would have thought is was OK? It's great advertising for the team. Also and apologies here if this is out of line, no idea what the rules are - could the one which you say is the registered logo become a partial fund raiser for Bershire SAR with a % of the coin cost be directed to the charity ?

Sue

Hi Neighbour :-) I agree - your avatar would make a great coin and I would be happy to add one to our collection and to set one travelling. I prefer that one to the initial posting, seems more complete.

If you have permission to use the logo I would have thought is was OK? It's great advertising for the team. Also and apologies here if this is out of line, no idea what the rules are - could the one which you say is the registered logo become a partial fund raiser for Bershire SAR with a % of the coin cost be directed to the charity ?

Sue

Maybe its just me getting confused - this was my original idea however I remember reading that Geocaches couldn't promote a charity or company. But there seems to be no mention of this with regard to coins - someone on here must know the answer!

I have found this on the setting a geocache rules page.

Caches that Solicit

Solicitations are off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

I dont want to get caught by this trap, however if I can't be I will make it my whole logo!

I don't see any problem in having a coin to raise money for the organisation you volunteer for.

I have one or two coins that were made as fundraisers in my collection.

Just be clear when you price your coin, that if it is a charity fundraiser you say so. That way there shouldn't be any grumbles about price, folks will either like and buy or pass by.

Personally, I'd buy ... and think your avatar is the better design of the two. :blink:

Put a Border Collie pic on as they are the best search 'n' rescue dogs ever!

Is there any other type then? :D Only Joking!

Funnily enough I am looking for a royalty free pic of a border collie - any ideas?

I'll let you use a pic of my Border Collie; Dakota for free :blink: She only searches out horses and cattle to herd though, mostly it's just the cats that she attempts to herd these days, there is not much cooperation from the cats :blink:

I agree with the above entirely, but wonder about the compass and paw logo, is it public domain or the property of the charity also? Possible trademark infringement.

A pooch image would dress the back nicely.

The logo is mine, and I allow the charity to use it (as the founder member). There is no copyright on the logo at this time.

I have started to amend the coin to be my full logo on the front

But I am trying to find a black sillohuette of a collie and then put an orange jacket on it for the rear. I have lots of photos but not many clipart type images!

The logo is mine, and I allow the charity to use it (as the founder member). There is no copyright on the logo at this time.

I have started to amend the coin to be my full logo on the front

But I am trying to find a black sillohuette of a collie and then put an orange jacket on it for the rear. I have lots of photos but not many clipart type images!

Try clipart.com, their images are royalty free. Of course..you have to pay for a subscription, but then you can use their images to your hearts content.

Daryl, it's great, I'd definitely be down for at least half a dozen. I can think of several cachers that I'd love to give these to as a gift, anbd certainly one for my collection.

Just one idea, where it says, Please move me on soon, I wondered about a phrase along the lines of:

Keep people searching for this coin and move it on soon.

Not sure if there is enough room though. :)

Now for my second attempt - I have made the following changes based on the coments made earlier.

What do you think?

COIN2_small.gif

I'm not a great fan of photos on coins to be honest, so I think I prefered the other reverse, though the collie is really cute! On a more serious note, please, please, PLEASE make the tracking number large enough to read without a magnifying glass! I know most coins sit in collections, but some do get released and older cachers really struggle with a lot of the text.

B.

Daryl, it's great, I'd definitely be down for at least half a dozen. I can think of several cachers that I'd love to give these to as a gift, anbd certainly one for my collection.

Just one idea, where it says, Please move me on soon, I wondered about a phrase along the lines of:

Keep people searching for this coin and move it on soon.

Not sure if there is enough room though. :)

Looks good to me! Thanks Dorsetgal!

COIN3_small.gif

I am about to start getting these coins made and will be taking pre orders soon.

42mm 2D/Photo coin

100% of all profits that may be made will be donated to a Registered UK Charity - Berkshire Search & Rescue Dogs k9-sar.com

Price includes coin, trackable code, icon

£7.50 GBP

Price does not include postage and packaging

Postage & Packaging (in UK £)

£1.40 UK 1st Class

£2.30 Europe Airmail

£2.46 Worldwide Airmail

Insured mail can be quoted for if required.

Payment will be paid via paypal

Edited by Berkshire SAR Dogs