find or no find

fatdog

If a cache is found that is not where it was origanally hidden, is it still a find? We recently found a micro with a 4+ rating in less than one minute and I suspect that it may have been muggeled and moved-we did contact the cache owner and notify him of our suspicions and he is checking on the location, but is it still a find?

or :sad: Maybe we're just better than we thought at this!!!

"Cache migration" is the term I apply to this. It happens frequently. You found it at or near the coordinates?? Log a find.

Sometimes it takes me 3 trips to find a 1 star and some 4 stars I have found within 5 minutes. Sometimes blind luck, sometimes skill, sometimes totally mis-rated.

If a cache is found that is not where it was origanally hidden, is it still a find? We recently found a micro with a 4+ rating in less than one minute and I suspect that it may have been muggeled and moved-we did contact the cache owner and notify him of our suspicions and he is checking on the location, but is it still a find?

or :sad: Maybe we're just better than we thought at this!!!

If you signed the log in the correct cache container it is a find regardless of where it was. Caches often move from their original intended location. That is one of the reasons that I try to put back a cache exactly where I found it even if I don't think it is the best place for it. The only exception is when the cache is really out of place and I know it. For instance if the cache is lying on the ground in the middle of a path and I see the hook that is hanging from a tree limb where the cache used to be.

Cache migration is why we have had to DNF one of our own caches!!! :sad:

Yes I would say it is a find. We have found caches in the trail path or lying on the ground out of their hiding spots and we still claimed a find for them, then put them back to a place we thought was best and then emailed the owner telling them what happened.