GeoTags V1 - Personal Geocoins, Goal:

AtwellFamily

I had 6 designs done, and some I liked better than others with how they came out. I was really happy with my GW5 coin. The Lunenburg one seemed a little less than I was hoping, but maybe I'm just used to looking at the full size coin it was based on. :ph34r: It was also a little frustrating during the artwork finalization when I'd ask the mint to change something and they'd also change something else for the worse I told them to leave alone. There came a point where I'd decide it was good enough and go with it since I didn't want to hold things up.

I could see myself doing reorders down the road on one or two designs, but given the whole "is it a tag or a coin" arguments I won't be counting on using them as big trading stock, especially since I can't add them to where I have my trading list (which I have to renew my subscription to, but am waiting till I work through my backlog of trade offers).

On a related point, if you traded with me at GW5 and got one of my GeoTags, could you contact me through my profile with what your coin's tracking number is? In the rush of the weekend I didn't look at the packing slips in the boxes till the ride home, and thus never knew to check for possible duplicate tracking numbers before I started trading. I'd like to try & find out if any coins I traded were errors.

My first impression here is that the dies were not polished before being used to produce the coins. It's just his rough look that makes me think this.

But given their size, I am quite happy with the final product. I've even released a few to travel already, in addition to the ones that I traded at GW5. :ph34r:

wsgaskins GeoTag - full size image

IMGP0628a-medium.jpg

And, given the time constraints of the project, I was *very* *very* pleased that I got these in time for GeoWoodstock5!

I hope that everyone who ends up with one of these in their hands enjoys and appreciates the time that each individual participant put into their design(s).

And, given the time constraints of the project, I was *very* *very* pleased that I got these in time for GeoWoodstock5!

Agreed! I was really hoping to have my GW5 design there, but had thought it too much to expect that I could pick up all my coins from both batches. Hearing from Mike that that would be the case was very nice indeed. And of course, that wouldn't have been possible without wsgaskins. :ph34r:

I thought mine turned out excellent. Mine are a simpler design than many others. I think the more detailed the design is on a small coin, it's tougher to make everything look "smoothe" (for a lack of better words) and many people don't realize that when designing their coins. Everything looks great on the mint artwork because it's larger.

I would definitely consider ordering more when mine run out. I think you can chaulk this one up to a great learning experience on a number of levels.

I'm proud of mine, I don't think mine look cheap either :ph34r:

tsun

i just wish i had mine :blink: you lot are lucky to have got then :D

Post office says we have to wait 21 days before filing a claim. I will get everything filled out and put together so next Tuesday I can go in and file the claim. I am so glad I insured all these shipments. :D Please contact me through my profile and we can handle this in email. Sorry for the lose :lol: .

First I wanna say I think all the designs are great but I am a bit disappointed with the finish. The stamped side is fine because it is covered in color but the back side I expected to be much smoother looking than it is. The finish looks uneven, mottled, and hurried by the mint IMHO. Had I gotten a sample BEFORE minting rather than with the order and saw this I doubt I would have proceeded and probably would have looked at other options. Again I think the design side looks great on all the coins but I hope the mints works on improving the finish so it looks smoother.

Ok now its time to burn me down . . . .

I didn't say I didn't like the geotag coins. I think they are ok. I said that I was disappointed with the plating finish and felt it was probably rushed. I think all the stamped design sides look great. Only thing keeping me from doing a happy dance is that I thought the plating finish would have a more even, polished mirror like appearance. Look at the backside of a pathtag as an example of what I mean by a smooth mirror like finish.

If this was rated on a 5 star scale with 5 being fantastic, I would give the designed side a 5 and the plating finish a 3.5 and Mikes efforts a 5 . . . I am not trying to start a problem here just voicing my honest opinion is all hoping maybe the feedback will help this project improve on itself.

Edited by Jay Mills

But given their size, I am quite happy with the final product. I've even released a few to travel already, in addition to the ones that I traded at GW5. :blink:

I would definitely consider ordering more when mine run out. I think you can chaulk this one up to a great learning experience on a number of levels.

I'm proud of mine, I don't think mine look cheap either :lol:

tsun

I went on a road trip a few days day ago and left 10 activated GeoTags behind in caches. Cachers are discovering them, picking them up and tracking them just like a 'real' geocoin. :D Imagine that. Haven't yet received an email asking what that POC is I left behind in a cache.

The thing is, I don't/won't think twice about dropping these in caches as opposed to something I spent $8, $10, $12 on.

I definitely will be ordering more once the initial 50 are gone.

First I wanna say I think all the designs are great but I am a bit disappointed with the finish. The stamped side is fine because it is covered in color but the back side I expected to be much smoother looking than it is. The finish looks uneven, mottled, and hurried by the mint IMHO. Again I think the design side looks great on all the coins but I hope the mints works on improving the finish so it looks smoother.

i do agree with you on that... i did expect a smoother finish, at first i thought it was just one coin that had gotten messed up... then i noticed that all the backs were the same...

i still like mine though, but wish they would fix the plating on the back in future orders (even the CacheTags are smooth)

Edited by ~tasia~

Hmmmm. I went there this morning and there was GeoTag information at CoinSwag.com. You can barely find a reference to "GeoTags" now. What happened?

Mike and I are working with the mint to get the prices straitened out, because the first GeoTag orders where made in large bulks the price was much cheaper now that they are being made in smaller orders the price has jumped quite a bit making it so the starter kit will cost around 215.00 in stead of 150.00. I have temporally removed that section from our store until we get everything figured out. If the price does not change then all future orders will be made in groups to help lower cost as that was the whole point of the tags in the first place.

Jake

Can someone post a pic of the back of a pathtag of cache tag or some other tag along with the pic of the GeoTag back so I can compare. I don't have any of the afore mentioned tags so I have no base of comparison.

As for comparing to other coins, not many have such a large are of raised metal to compare.

Sounds like the duplicates were in the little bags. Only a few people have address concerns. Right now I am not going do anything to fix the situation, since most got more coins then purchased either though there may be a few duplicates. You are welcome to use any tracking codes on your list. If one is not used you could engrave on blank geotag and sent it out or for the one in a collection.

Here is the back of a CacheTag

6CSW_00010_2.jpg

I'd like to be sure that this cache tag is not being offered for sale in these forums, as it is not trackable on www.geocaching.com, and sales would not be allowed here. GeoCoin Geotags are trackable and are allowed, but not cache tags.

Here is the back of a CacheTag

6CSW_00010_2.jpg

I'd like to be sure that this cache tag is not being offered for sale in these forums, as it is not trackable on www.geocaching.com, and sales would not be allowed here. GeoCoin Geotags are trackable and are allowed, but not cache tags.

Not being sold just trying to compare finishes. :lol:

Mike and I are working with the mint to get the prices straitened out, because the first GeoTag orders where made in large bulks the price was much cheaper now that they are being made in smaller orders the price has jumped quite a bit making it so the starter kit will cost around 215.00 in stead of 150.00. I have temporally removed that section from our store until we get everything figured out. If the price does not change then all future orders will be made in groups to help lower cost as that was the whole point of the tags in the first place.

I'm guessing then this also affects the previous $2.50 price for new coins from the existing designs?

Hmmmm. I went there this morning and there was GeoTag information at CoinSwag.com. You can barely find a reference to "GeoTags" now. What happened?

Jake

I know you are trying to still work things out for the prices, but I did not pass "waiting patiently" in my grandma's school of manners. I am interested in having a tag made, have design set and ready to go. I am just waiting for more information. Soon, please, soon. (I am sure there are others waiting :anitongue: )

I know you are trying to still work things out for the prices, but I did not pass "waiting patiently" in my grandma's school of manners. I am interested in having a tag made, have design set and ready to go. I am just waiting for more information. Soon, please, soon. (I am sure there are others waiting :blink: )

That begs the question -- Is there a waiting list for the "group 3" of GeoTags? Groups 1 and 2 were completed by Atwell prior to GW5, and I thought that I heard a few rumbles of interest from a few more cachers right about the time that GW5 rolled over everyone.

To guage the interest, maybe it would be a good idea to post your 'request to group together' here in this thread, since it was the same thread that organized the first 2000+ GeoTag order. :)

I know you are trying to still work things out for the prices, but I did not pass "waiting patiently" in my grandma's school of manners. I am interested in having a tag made, have design set and ready to go. I am just waiting for more information. Soon, please, soon. (I am sure there are others waiting :) )

That begs the question -- Is there a waiting list for the "group 3" of GeoTags? Groups 1 and 2 were completed by Atwell prior to GW5, and I thought that I heard a few rumbles of interest from a few more cachers right about the time that GW5 rolled over everyone.

To guage the interest, maybe it would be a good idea to post your 'request to group together' here in this thread, since it was the same thread that organized the first 2000+ GeoTag order. :)

Still working on the transistion. If things fall apart on moving these to CoinSwag I will put it together for those who want to get some made.

Two other comments...

1. It would help to know how many are interested for Jake or myself. So while both sites don't have anything posted please post your interest here.

2. The first two groups produced 4780 trackable (a few more that the 2000+ mentioned) over 68 designs with an additional 120 non-trackable for a total number of 4900 tags produced to date.

Wow, first time I really added that all up and what the heck was I thinking. Doing all that with 4 kids, closing on a aquisition at work and still trying to find time to cache. No wonder I have all this free time now. :blink:

Well, now BionicleMan wants to get in on the whole coin & tag business. :ph34r:

So, I'll throw another name into the hat for a new design, but I will have to work with him during his summer break to figure out what kind of design he wants.

Additionally, I'm definitely up for re-orders of my original (group 1) design.