GeoTags V1 - Personal Geocoins, Goal:

AtwellFamily

From the site: "Rebuy of original designs can be made at any time. Price for rebuy is at the additional tag price and does not include shipping. Shipping will be quoted at time order is placed."

Does this mean if I only order the 25 now. I can still get more later for the "Additional tags only $2.40 each!"?

If so I may do more than one tag. If not I will only do one of them. I just wanted to ask so I knew for sure what I was doing.

Also is there any other sites that I can go to get artwork done other than Jamie's just incase they are really busy to do these tags for me?

A reminting of any coin is possible, but I doubt it would be at the current price (unless perhaps a lot of other people went together at the same time). When we got a second minting of our local coin in a new metal the price we were quoted was related to the number we ordered, and wasn't as low as the original run. So to get only 25 probably wouldn't be very cheap. There's also the issue of tracking numbers. If you wanted a rebuy later and wanted them trackable, I'm not sure how that would work since I think tracking numbers aren't sold in small numbers.

.....Is it to late to join? BTW ~ I tried to look thru the thread before I posted.... I couldn't find the anwser to my question anywhere. ~CCL

CCL, I got the impression that the deadline was April 4.... check this post:

Thank you all for jumping in on my idea. :)

Up to date information is available at GeoTags

I realized in the first post I indicated $2.50-$3.00 range. I did have pricing about .10-.15 cheaper thinking we could get the 500 or 1000 piece price because of the quantity we are ordering. This is not the case the mint insists on treating each design separately. Because of the total number, the mint is giving us the 100 piece price on orders less than 100, so this is good :D . Because of the number of people involved I was able to make up some of the difference by spreading the icon and back mold changes over 2000 coins not just 1000 :D .

• Jamie provides professional art work $25 a geotag design + one finished tag. Contact information is as follows: Jamie Jones - MadHattersNeverland.com - ToyHappy@hotmail.com
  • I will be shipping these from Colorado to you, which is not included in the price. For any orders of 50+ coins, I will ship with insurance and via flat rate Priority Mail ($4.25 + insurance). For orders of less than 50 it will still be insured but shipped regular post.
  • To take advantage of the opening special I need your artwork to me by April 4. I will be out of town the last week of March and the first few days of April. So if you don't hear back right away it may be because of that. I will then get the artwork approved by Groundspeak and have the mint produce final artwork. Please provide artowrk in jpg, gif or bmp form.

If you have any question please feel free to email me at mike@atwellatwell.net. I will post answers to all questions in the forum so others can see what has been asked and answered.

So to recap, to take advantage of opening special I need you to complete the form at http://www.atwellfamily.net/geotags.htm by April 4 (with artwork included).

Thanks!

Mike

p.s. I was able to learn a little PHP scripting while doing this project. Please feel free to look at the rest of the site.

Ok, I finally have something to post and have some questions for those who have some coin process knowledge.

First here is what I would like the coin to look like:

Geotag.gif

The question is, does the metal around all the color come out raised and exposed such as this?

Geotag2.gif

If so maybe I could do it like this:

Geotag3.gif

Anyone have any suggestions?

v/r

O-Mega

So, here's a crazy question....

If these probably aren't going to be coming in until right before GW5, are you going to GW5? And if so, would pick-up there be an option to save the re-shipping costs? If you are going but don't want the hassle of distributing geocoins on the "big day", I understand completely. I'm just curious if it would be an option since I'm in Canada, so shipping for my coins probably won't be cheap and I thought that might be one way to get around it.

If these probably aren't going to be coming in until right before GW5, are you going to GW5? And if so, would pick-up there be an option to save the re-shipping costs? If you are going but don't want the hassle of distributing geocoins on the "big day", I understand completely. I'm just curious if it would be an option since I'm in Canada, so shipping for my coins probably won't be cheap and I thought that might be one way to get around it.

I was not planning on attending at this time but I will talk to a few who offered to help and may be able to work something out.

I have 25 designs so far. Will be sending to ground speak for approval then on to the mint for production artwork.

I will send an email to all I have received artwork from. If you have send artwork and have't gotten an email from me by Wednesday saying I got it. Then please email me again or fill out the online for again.

Thanks

Mike

I was not planning on attending at this time but I will talk to a few who offered to help and may be able to work something out.

Oooh! oooh! (insert image of me raising my hand enthusiastically)

Of course, if Atwell chooses to go this route, then anyone who asks for their coins to be delivered to GW5 and *doesn't* show up, I get to keep your coins. :ph34r: ...... nah, not really, but then I would have to pay for shipping anyway, so I'd probably have to work out shipping from NC to wherever. And there will still be shipping costs for coins to be delivered to where I live in North Carolina, so you won't be totally off the hook for shipping altogether.

Received this in a PM today:

Mike,

Just a clarification:

Please note that non-trackable GeoTags may not include the 'Trackable at geocaching,com' language. That is strictly for trackable coins.

Spoke to Groundspeak to understand the reasoning. Simply put they have had issues in the past where coins that say "trackable at geocaching.com" are not trackable. They would like to avoid situation like this in the future. Therefore, I will not be able to offer non-trackables.

In place of the previous offer, I will have 3 "SAMPLES" made of each metal. They will be marked "SAMPLE" where the tracking number will be on the other coins. I will keep one as mentioned in post and website. The other 2 are your to do with but please do not place in CACHES. If you give to someone ask them to do the same.

In order not to confuse the mint this will be done on each order for each metal with no charge to you as the end customer.

I'll chalk this up to learning :o

Edited by Atwell Family

Received this in a PM today:

Mike,

Just a clarification:

Please note that non-trackable GeoTags may not include the 'Trackable at geocaching,com' language. That is strictly for trackable coins.

Spoke to Groundspeak to understand the reasoning. Simply put they have had issues in the past where coins that say "trackable at geocaching.com" are not trackable. They would like to avoid situation like this in the future. Therefore, I will not be able to offer non-trackables.

In place of the previous offer, I will have 3 "SAMPLES" made of each metal. They will be marked "SAMPLE" where the tracking number will be on the other coins. I will keep one as mentioned in post and website. The other 2 are your to do with but please do not place in CACHES. If you give to someone ask them to do the same.

In order not to confuse the mint this will be done on each order for each metal with no charge to you as the end customer.

I'll chalk this up to learning :o

So if we ordered a few non trackables when we submitted the order do we need to re-submit the order?

Edited by Jay Mills

So if we ordered a few non trackables when we submitted the order do we need to re-submit the order?

If you still want the same total, your order is good. Otherwise I need new numbers. For example, If you ordered 50 and you still want 50 then no change needed. If you ordered 50 and only want 45 then I need the new numbers.

In both cases you will get 2 extra SAMPLES.

Couldn't the non-trackable ones just lack an engraved code? Sure it says it's trackable, but without a code it's useless.

Had that whole discussion. They don't want an item that says trackable to end up in a cache. So if I sell these and they say that they need to be trackable. I got them to agree to the few non as SAMPLES as long as it wasn't a large # or %. I came up with the 3 for two reasons. The first, 1 for me, 1 for you and 1 for the designer if you choose to use one. Plus I can afford to cover the cost of that many coins 100 @.90 for the learning experience. More than that I could afford.

Trying to give the best of both and for those who didn't ask for trackable... a little extra.

Just a thought here Mike if enough people want the non-trackables how about a 3rd die that does not say track at. also at that point perhaps people could also order a greater percentage of non track coins with orders. 50/50 %

It would be then 2 sets of generic dies for the back, This extra cost for one die across all of us involved could not cost that much. A possible soloution here ?

Glenn

Edited by glennk721

Just a thought here Mike if enough people want the non-trackables how about a 3rd die that does not say track at. also at that point perhaps people could also order a greater percentage of non track coins with orders. 50/50 %

It would be then 2 sets of generic dies for the back, This extra cost for one die across all of us involved could not cost that much. A possible soloution here ?

Glenn

Was thinking that but out of the people I have orders from (30) only 4 asked for non-trackable and they only asked for 5 of each mental. I might make a few onf these changes after I get the first batch under my belt. Those who have already gotten coins would be able to get more at a rebuy price since the first mold is paid for. Plus I have everything setup with the mint and don't want to start changing these to complicate the process.

Hey Mike, I just want to say I apprieciate how on top of this project you have been. I lurk on a lot of coin threads and this is by far the largest I've seen but also one of the best managed. I just wanted to check also and be sure you received my order.

Cheers

Z

Got it. And thanks for the compliment. Trying to keep everyone informed as we go along.

Edited by Atwell Family

Glenn

Was thinking that but out of the people I have orders from (30) only 4 asked for non-trackable and they only asked for 5 of each mental. I might make a few onf these changes after I get the first batch under my belt. Those who have already gotten coins would be able to get more at a rebuy price since the first mold is paid for. Plus I have everything setup with the mint and don't want to start changing these to complicate the process.

I also have a feeling that if you had another die involved you'd be splitting orders up again further (same as our current orders with 1 common side aren't seen as 1 big order). So, a person's order for 5 non-trackable might be seen as a seperate order for only 5 coins, and you'd have to fight again to get the same pricing on such small orders.

Edited by islander1988

Got your email Mike, can't wait to see what the mint does with my design. I've never done anything like this before and am actually enjoying the process. The two samples will be fine with me. I'd likely never give them out anyways. The other coins will be FTF prizes, some will be gifted to caching friends, and a few I'll be using for something else I've been working on. I expect that they will last me a while though. What is the turn around time to get a design back from mint normally?

I hope yall are checking for B) copyright infringement :( on these designs.

The Smurfs are likely a copyright of Hanna-Barbera or Warner Brothers.

The design above mentions Tupperware, whic is also a copyrighted product.

Be careful!! B)

You are confusing copyright with trademark.

General_Tupperware's design should really not be any problem as he is not trying to represent this geocoin as a re-closable plastic food-storage container. I mean, heck, he doesn't even have any tupperware pictures on the design.

The Smurfs are indeed copyrighted, but probably by these guys:

http://www.smurf.com/site/index.html

I don't know about the Smurfz

Nope. The word Tupperware is Copyright © Tupperware Worldwide

A smurf image which has permission to be reused had this disclaimer: Any other uses of this image may be copyright infringement.

All I am saying is use other people's images at your own risk. B)

http://order.tupperware.com/coe/app/tup_company.terms

Trademarks

Tupperware Worldwide owns "Tupperware" and the other trademarks, service marks, tradenames, and logos appearing on this Web site. Using these trademarks or any other content, except as stated in these Terms of Use, is strictly prohibited.

Firstly, I am not a lawyer (IANAL - typical disclaimer on internet posts....)

But I thought that *words* cannot be copyrighted, only trademarked.

Otherwise, our mere discussion of the term "Tupperware" could be considered copyright infringement.

The Copyright that you see on the bottom of the website are to protect the content of the website.... ie. the images there, etc. So your caution about using someone else's images is still apropos.

A smurf image which has permission to be reused had this disclaimer: Any other uses of this image may be copyright infringement.

All I am saying is use other people's images at your own risk. :D

Just a note since I have not been in this forum for awhile. All image's have a copyright of some sort. You just have to know how to lets say smurfz around these copyrights. Just as sampling music you have to know how to get around things. Clothing Companies are another. I own a Clothing Company that I have not done anything with for awhile. The name I used has a copyright to it. But then found someone on the other side of the states that has the same name. But since she is not doing alot of business there is no need for me to go after her. Also with big name brands there are ways around them also. There is ways to tell if what you are buying is fake or not. Even though there is the company name and tag and all that on the clothing there is ways around it. You just need to know what you are doing before you do it. To make this short Smurfs are copyrighted and now so are Smurfz. The image may look the same but there are differences to them.

Edit to add: I have seen alot of pics on here that are in ways copyrighted but people have seemed to figure out ways around them same with alot of geocoins that I have seen. Also some of the names that people use have copyrights or trademarks to them but have also found ways around to using them.

Edited by GeoSmurfz

Things are going well. I have 34 designs now, 24 have already been approved by GS. I will be sending out whatever I have by tomorrow night to the mint to get artwork prepared. I want to give them time to start on some of this artwork so we are not waiting at the end.

Heard back from a lot of people they are still interested sound like I'll have a bunch more of the artwork after the weekend. That will go out in proof sheet 2.

Keep the ideas flowing, the artwork is great, Jen and Jamie are doing most of it and they have both done a wonderful job.

I enjoyed doing this designing, and the prospect of this a project. But my budget has taken a dive, I will no longer be participating in this project. Fortunately this project has made me realize that I have to figure out a way to use 'Tupperware' on coins, wihtout violating copyright. :D

I don't mind not being in on this project, and it was a good learning experince.

GT