"DELETING LOGS"

GIDEON-X

Stop playing the victim. You started with the drama-fest with this off-topic post:
There, a deletion may be appropriate.
"...and SBA's" Right? :blink:
Drama-fest? I'm the one play the victim? I stood up and got an illegal cache archived and I'm the bully or miscreant.

Yeah, right, whatever.

Ummm, you're still playing the victim.

If I were, does that mean I can't defend myself? Only bullies can post? I really don't see your point.

Even in most of these cases I would send a polite e-mail to the person asking him to change it, rather than delete it myself without warning. If he doesn't change it in a reasonable amount of time (say 24 hrs), then I would delete.

There may be circumstances where you don't want the log to stand even for a few minutes, but I suspect those cases will be very, very rare.

I have asked a few people to change their logs, either because of unwanted spoilers or because they broke a park rule while looking for the cache (e.g. Mentioning bringing their dog in a park that doesn't allow pets). In every instance they deleted the log and were very apologetic.

Very good point

EDITED TO ADD: BTW, nice backpedal.

What you call backpedal, I call clarifying the post for you since you couldn't see that I was, in fact, following the conversation and was perfectly on topic.

Um, GA's posts weren't anywhere in the sub-thread in this topic, yet that was what you were referring to? You expect anyone to buy that?

Yes. I didn't realize Grandpa Alex was even talking about that particular cache until your snarky reply about his deleting your SBA log. As Sbell already mentioned, it was YOU that brought it up, I was just following along with on-topic comments.

Yeah, right. If that's what you meant then all I have to assume is you pressed the wrong reply button.

It is curious that you were talking about trashing caches. While GA was talking about writing comments in the paper and online logs. Neither of which is what I was talking about in the portions you quoted.

GA mentioned someone nearly filled up a micro log with one log - that told how bad the cache was.

Was this you, or was this someone else. If it was someone else than I owe you an apology for suggesting it was.

Either way, I'll restate what I said earlier. It's not the fact that the micro was a bad hide and needed to be archived, it was the manor in which it was done. Filling a log book with your objection, berating him on his cache page, and stealing the cache itself because you're a cache cop is what I objected to. You're willing to guide people to do what you think is best (read: forcing them if necessary).

Your ends do not justify your means.

Stop playing the victim. You started with the drama-fest with this off-topic post:
Drama-fest? I'm the one play the victim? I stood up and got an illegal cache archived and I'm the bully or miscreant.

Yeah, right, whatever.

Ummm, you're still playing the victim.
If I were, does that mean I can't defend myself? Only bullies can post? I really don't see your point.
I'll try to clear it up for you.

You started the drama with an off-topic post meant to bully GA. You were called on it and then decided to play the victim card.

Is my point clear, now?

Replying to the OP dramafest, and not the alternate one attempting to take over the thread:

Yes, but WHY would you want to do so?

What have they done besides offend your literary sensibility?

And to anyone else bothering to read this after the attempted hikacking of yet another thread-am I the only one who is curious what the real story us here? The OP is a charter member with hundreds of finds and dozens of hides. They most likely should know the answer to the question, both from a social standpoint as well as a guidelines one.

So do tell, why do you bring this question up today? Inquiring minds want to know.... :blink:

Replying to the OP dramafest, and not the alternate one attempting to take over the thread:

Yes, but WHY would you want to do so?

What have they done besides offend your literary sensibility?

And to anyone else bothering to read this after the attempted hikacking of yet another thread-am I the only one who is curious what the real story us here? The OP is a charter member with hundreds of finds and dozens of hides. They most likely should know the answer to the question, both from a social standpoint as well as a guidelines one.

So do tell, why do you bring this question up today? Inquiring minds want to know.... :blink:

I was wondering the same thing.

It's unlikely that such an experienced cacher would ask the question. I bet it's a personal disagreement between the two cachers and the OP is looking for an excuse to delete the log. I may be wrong, but I doubt it.

If it's a question of "right vs ability" then you should consider the "right vs ability" of someone whose log you've deleted of going back out and "deleting" your cache. This hobby only exists because of the good will of others.

Are you saying that you believe it's not "right" to take it upon yourself to remove another person's cache just because you have the "ability" to do it?

If so, then I agree with you.

Ah, CR speaks out and the "brothers" show up.

Nothing like taking something out of context. Here's where it was deemed an illegal cache. Well, you're not advocating damaging public utility property are you? Hmmm?

You said, or at least strongly implied, that it's not "right" to take it upon yourself to remove another person's cache (or legitimate 'find' log) just because you have the "ability" to do it. I was simply agreeing with you.

If you did, in fact, physically remove that particular cache in response to that official Groundspeak log you linked, can I assume that it was only after you were 'deputized' in some official capacity by Groundspeak? If not, then I'm sure you had some other really really good reason for playing Cache Police, thereby violating your own principle of ability vs. right ... right?

If it was someone else than I owe you an apology for suggesting it was.
I'll take that apology, thank you.

(read: forcing them if necessary).

See, you are not even talking about the same thing I was. The sub-thread was about folks short-cutting the hunt and going directly to the cache bypassing the trail. You will recall in your thorough reading is the cause of the problem with parking in the wrong spot. Isonzo Karst mentioned archiving the cache and making it a multi. I was simply agreeing with him. If you're reading something else into the conversation that's your problem, don't make it mine. Your continued agenda to hound is completely transparent in this instance.

If you did, in fact, physically remove that particular cache in response to that official Groundspeak log you linked, can I assume that it was only after you were 'deputized' in some official capacity by Groundspeak? If not, then I'm sure you had some other really really good reason for playing Cache Police, thereby violating your own principle of ability vs. right ... right?

I was cleaning up geolitter and repairing damage caused by the placer. Granted the time allowed for said placer to remove the cache was extremely short, but you know full well the environment in which this all took place.

Further, the allegation of "stealing" is laughable in that I offered to return the cache at my expense. I was rebuffed. I was doing my part in trying to protect this hobby in South Carolina and I make no apologies for it.

I was cleaning up geolitter and repairing damage caused by the placer. Granted the time allowed for said placer to remove the cache was extremely short, but you know full well the environment in which this all took place.

Further, the allegation of "stealing" is laughable in that I offered to return the cache at my expense. I was rebuffed. I was doing my part in trying to protect this hobby in South Carolina and I make no apologies for it.

Why don't you take it to PM or start another thread?

Edited by sbell111

Why don't you take it to PM or start another thread.

Is the PM function broken for you? You could have done the same thing.

Normally I might think the OP was trolling, as in setting the bait into the water - dragging it around and see who grabs it. This seems more like chumming, throw it into the water and watch the feeding frenzy.

edit: missing word 'the'

Edited by BlueDeuce
If it was someone else than I owe you an apology for suggesting it was.
I'll take that apology, thank you.

(read: forcing them if necessary).

See, you are not even talking about the same thing I was. The sub-thread was about folks short-cutting the hunt and going directly to the cache bypassing the trail. You will recall in your thorough reading is the cause of the problem with parking in the wrong spot. Isonzo Karst mentioned archiving the cache and making it a multi. I was simply agreeing with him. If you're reading something else into the conversation that's your problem, don't make it mine. Your continued agenda to hound is completely transparent in this instance.

Grandpa Alex told a story about a log he had to delete. In it, he said the following:

Negative, rude or contrary personal opinion is fine, in it's place . . . such as the forums or in personal emails . . . but not destructively placed on a cache page or site log. There, a deletion may be appropriate.

And then you replied here with:

to which followed a discussion of how you've posted notes on his cache page berating him for his hide method, and eventually stole his cache container.

None of that has anything to do with any off topic sub-thread about short cutting any trail.

I stand by my position (which is what Grandpa Alex's post said) that there is a right way and a wrong way to handle problem caches, and doing it the wrong way will get logs deleted. The way you did it resulted in his deleting some of your logs, which is what this post is about. Check the thread title.

I want to enter a post to make it perfectly clear that my post named NO one in relating a story about one of my caches and I won't name anyone now. I will not use this media to hurt anyone or discolor their standing in our caching community.

The object of my post was to address the OP topic regarding Deleting Logs and my opinion as to when it might be appropriate to do so.

Yes, I certainly do not agree with someone who worked to get one of my caches deleted, but THAT was not the cache I was referring to in my comment, anyway . . . another one altogether. It was only a bison tube, not the end of the world . . . I have more bison tubes many more, I just love micros!!!!

I said the word troll as a general reference to a group of posters and got a formal warning from Keystone as it being a personal attack.

If this kind of mudslinging doesn't get folks banned from the forums I'm going to be stunned. (and peeved for being singled out unfairly)

How about it Keystone, you going to play fair? :blink:

On topic to the OP: (note he hasn't returned to post)

Think as you see from the replies that are on topic, Its clear that you have the power to delete inappropriate logs. But it should be very carefully thought about first as to what your reason is. This is a game that folks play very differently from each other.

One local here Copy/Pastes the same thing every time, every cache. I personally don't approve but would I delete it? Not a chance, since thats his reputation hes logging everytime. We all know to expect lame caches and lame logs from him. (yes, his hides have been very un-inspired, just like his logs)

Play the game anyway you like and remember others are paying attention to what you do.