Did something fun

Lemon Fresh Dog

This may seem odd to some of you.

My geocoins are stored in two containers. A tin lunchbox I got from some computer convention and a tupperwear container.

Tonight, I sat down and took each coin, one-by-one, and looked at it. I thought back to when I got it, whom I got it from, and reflected on the design and the memory.

Try it! It was a blast!

I have been doing that a lot lately. Trying to get some new ideas and just enjoying the coins I have in my collection. I got a new coin display for Christmas and that allows me to enjoy the coins a whole lot better then when they were stuck in some binder.

I have to say this thread and the another one started a few days ago (GBA Death march Coin) really have put a smile on my face. It just goes to show that geocoins can be fun when you make it fun.

Thanks LFD

Chris-Team Shydog

This may seem odd to some of you.

My geocoins are stored in two containers. A tin lunchbox I got from some computer convention and a tupperwear container.

Tonight, I sat down and took each coin, one-by-one, and looked at it. I thought back to when I got it, whom I got it from, and reflected on the design and the memory.

Try it! It was a blast!

I JUST finished doing the same thing, not 15 minutes ago! Nice, warm fuzzies :rolleyes:

I have been doing that a lot lately. Trying to get some new ideas and just enjoying the coins I have in my collection. I got a new coin display for Christmas and that allows me to enjoy the coins a whole lot better then when they were stuck in some binder.

I have to say this thread and the another one started a few days ago (GBA Death march Coin) really have put a smile on my face. It just goes to show that geocoins can be fun when you make it fun.

Thanks LFD

Chris-Team Shydog

I look at the coins alot and think about them and who gave them to me. If I know a few are from secret missions and don't really know who sent them to me. But still think who could have been so kind to send me these coins. Also with the trades that I get. I don't even have to look at them just my geocoincollection.com I look at it everyday.

Question about storing them. I had them in a wooden treasure chest box and now in a binder. They seem to be alot heavier then the pages. What would be a better way to store them????? I seen someone posted they use sport card sleeves but can't seem to find them anywhere.

Do it almost daily :sad: It started out as a dozen coins in a little hardwood stand we built to display them and now they cover an entire wall table from end to end. It's wonderful to pick over them at random and to constantly be asked questions about them from visitors. The responses are varied, but the most common ones include that they look like jewels, jewelry, treasure hoard, etc. If I wasn't so scared of damaging them, I'd put them in a big pile and sift through them just to hear the beautiful noise it would produce :):sad:

Did something else fun lately. Left a couple new and unactivated coins in a cache that were found by one of our youngest local cachers. The response was fantastic and I forsee a future fanatic in the making!

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

Thanks LFD

Chris-Team Shydog

OMG...howdy Chris good to see ya peek in, I'm looking at my Shydog coin now and remembering the day we got to meet, now how cool was that! Now that I've got my collection down to a managable amount, I can look at them and remember where I got them and who from. My collection has coins from folks I,ve meet with in person and visited with at length or cached with (always fun). A few of them include coins that just showed up in my mailbox as gifts those to are keepers along with a few event coins. There are 5 of which do not fall into the above catagory...Yime, loridarlin, Rusty&Libby, Mrs. Moops and Avroair all of which I hope to meet some day soon. My collection also has an extensive amount of Christmas coins and anything that has a loop on it so that it will hang on my Christmas geotree stays also. I also have/had a Death March coin of sorts...I did two caches one day this one: Valhalla and this one: Mountain Meadow Majesty WOW did that ever hurt the next day. I found a moun10bike v.2 geocoin and keep if for a while then sent it back to WA to travel again, thanks to my pals lucyandrickie for setting it free again! Any ole way enough with the rambling...

Pepper

I SAW someone posted they use sport card sleeves but can't seem to find them anywhere.

I get the sports card pages and slide pages at my local Staples. They both come in 10 packs.

Back to the topic... i was looking at some of my coins the other day... trying to get color ideas for my coin that i'm working on... i love to just sit and look at them, it's fun :sad:

I do that too :sad: I like to run my hands across some of them. I need to get a life............lol.

It is So time consuming one can even loose track of time! And then the thought comes vaguely to me...And I spent HOW much!??! EEK! ( and that's just so far)

Edited by fairyhoney

Great idea LFD. I think I'm going to assign this as homework to everybody this weekend.

Take out all your coins, look them over, and remember why you collect.

Don't come back until you've done this - and don't think that I can't tell! :sad:

mmm, Pasta for lunch.

Great idea LFD. I think I'm going to assign this as homework to everybody this weekend.

Don't come back until you've done this - and don't think that I can't tell! :sad:

It'd take too long and besides, This is fun too!!! :sad:

I'll appoint myself to be the teachers assistant and I give everybody an A+ so far. :sad:

Pepper

I'll appoint myself to be the teachers assistant and I give everybody an A+ so far. :sad:

Pepper

Do I need to bring you an apple then? :)

Teacher's pet! teacher's pet!

I am like Scrooge McDuck,I roll all around my geocoin pile all the time saying oh ahh I have them in binders for easy reflections.

oooo.....someone else that knows Scrooge!!! I am a HUGE Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge fan (I am NOT a Disney fan - I am a DUCK fan).

In fact, completely unrelated - I just fulfilled a life-long dream and bought an Uncle Scrooge #1 comic book in beautiful condition....

Okay! It is done!!! This thread will now lead to another.....

Anyhow -- back to your regularly scheduled thread....

I have been playing with the idea of taking one of my coins each day and writing a BLOG entry about it. Sort of make my collection come alive a little more.

(how can you tell I used to work in a Museum Collections department :sad: - everything in order, everything documented.)

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

I paw over my coins fairly often... I figured it was because I'm still rather new to collecting :sad: . I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who does this. One of these days I'll get it together to put them in binders... right now they're still in their bubble mailers in boxes. Up until recently, I simply purchased coins... since I've begun trading it's even more fun :sad:

It is so good to hear from others that are as obsessed as I am. I thought I was the only one who got their coins out, looked at each one, remember how I got them and even had to touch them! Most of mine are in binders, in 9-pocket plastic sheets, inset into foam so I can see both sides of the coin but I still have to take them out and hold them in my hand. I have gotten behind a little in getting them in the binders but will try to get that done before I go to another event. I also love having other people look at and admire my coins, especially if they ask questions about where and how I got them. I have gotten a few other people interested in collecting just from seeing my coins. That's how I got started, just by seeing the collection of another person at an event in 2005. Great fun!

Ok now looks like the time to check out my collection. The main site is down and looks like it might be for a while so no caching or checking on them.

Some of my people are out at an event...the 2 youger girls are watching Disney Princess movies......so......

......it is time for Mommy to dive into her beautiful coin collection and just enjoy them....ahhhh....geocoins take me away.......

I am like Scrooge McDuck,I roll all around my geocoin pile all the time saying oh ahh

:sad: I'm glad I'm not the only one then!! :)

I used to love having pen pals when I was a kid, and this is kind of like an extension of it. I now correspond to people from all around the world, and get sent the most beautiful, artistic, cute coins to have and to hold :sad:

But it gets even better when I can share the love by giving away coins at events or to people who have also fallen in love with one when they've seen it. Putting coins in caches as FTF prizes is fun too - FTF is a very serious business down here!

I also go a step further and look up the people I have traded with - the kind of caches they find and hide, their photo's, webpages etc......hang on, sounds like stalking now....I might shut up.... :sad:

Edited by Cheesy pigs

I've gome thru mine recently for two reasons...one, I'm trying to get all those loose coins into albums (it seems like I am always out of binders or pages...ugh!); and two, I have a geocoin puzzle cache idea that I'm working on. It brought back some great memories.

I am wondering if I am doing something wrong here with my pages. I have the card sheets in a binder but they keep sliding out of the pages and bending over the pages when I turn them. If someone has a way they do it they can email me if info on how to do this. As not to keep filling this forum up with the tips to stay on subject or would this be part of the subject I don't know.

I have to admit that I don't go thru my whole collection all the time. I tend to get thinking about certain coins and end up digging thru the rest of my collection to find them, whereupon I sit and admire them or just think about them. Certain moods or events seem to trigger thoughts of certain coins for some reason. Every coin I have has it's own story and one day I'm going to write them all down when I have a few spare years. :laughing:

This is kind of a funny and timely thread. I had a trade request for a Yellowstone coin. I cannot find it. I scrounged through the boxes, envelopes and bags on my desk and could not find it. Then I got into the two .50 cal ammocans that I have my coin collection in and after digging through that mess, I am still missing Yellowstone. :angry: If my desk was not such a mess..... It was cool to reflect on how a lot of those coins came into my possession though. Thanks for a fun and light thread. :D I am sure I will be doing it again in a couple of days.... Glen

Well, I thought I would take a peek at my little tupperware box, and it was heavier than I thought! Anyways, put it on the edge of the cabinet and began rifling through it and the box decided to test gravity, and hey! it works! Box goes arse over teacup, right onto my foot, I bellow in pain, the sleeping cats bolt out of the room, and the coins go everywhere. On the bright side, no need to sort through them now, they are all spread out for me to look at so I ignore the pain and sit down to look them over.

Life is like a hurricane here in Duckburg

Race cars, lasers, aeroplanes - it's a duck blur

You might solve a mystery or rewrite history!!!

oooo.....someone else that knows Scrooge!!! I am a HUGE Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge fan (I am NOT a Disney fan - I am a DUCK fan).

Go Ducks! #3 seed in the tourney!

Who knew how fun looking at the coin collection would be. :blink: