Anyone coming to Swanage this summer?

No doubt everyone will frown at me because this post is kind of off-topic, but I just wanted to say hello - we're back! We haven't been caching very much for a few months, as I had a miscarriage and was then quite ill. However, I'm now much better and what's more, we have Broadband at last so I can use the forums without having to watch the phone bill, yay!

Anyone got any plans to come caching in Purbeck this spring / summer? I see there was talk a while back about a spring event in Ulwell? We'd love to meet up for a drink if anyone's around. I recommend the Red Lion if so, 15 types of cider - yummy!

(Go on, now all shout at me for being off topic :rolleyes: )

Welcome back Becky! I've not got any plans to get to Swanage in the near future, but if I will, I'll let you know. If you want to catch up with (or meet new) local cachers, arrange a nice simple pub event one evening at the Red Lion. You are sure to attract local cachers, and an event needn't necessarily take much planning. You could just decide a time and a date and they will come.

sorry to hear your news, i'll be down to swanage at least a couple of times in the spring summer as not a long trip from the new forest.

let me know when that meeting's going to be and i will do my best to be there!!

yep looks like you've been elected to have a meeting at that pub. another option would be at the pub in studland, banks arms or something isn't it? nice big garden and great food/beer.

see you there! :rolleyes:

Hello... Welcome Back!

I seem to remember that this year's "Shropshire" event was due to be held in Swanage, but I heard that due to illness, Lynn from Team Maddie has handed the organisation over to Great Redmondo (or is this just a rumour?)

If this still goes ahead, then swanage will be te place to be the weekend after August Bank holiday weekend!

(/me has her fingers crossed, she has the week booked off work!!)

I seem to remember that this year's "Shropshire" event was due to be held in Swanage, but I heard that due to illness, Lynn from Team Maddie has handed the organisation over to Great Redmondo (or is this just a rumour?)

:rolleyes::rolleyes: AHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Debs pulls herself up off the floor !!!!!!! :lol::P

Unquestionably a rumour HazelS

:rolleyes::rolleyes: AHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Debs pulls herself up off the floor !!!!!!! :lol::P

Unquestionably a rumour HazelS

:lol::lol:

Welcome back Ryme. Sorry to hear you have had a rough few months. :rolleyes: Glad to hear things are looking better for you now.

From the website they look as if they might be DDA compliant, but if you do go ahead with the Red Lion, could you check please? I would hate to make the journey across the harbour to "the other side" not knowing if I could get a pint and a pee or not! :huh:

Edited by Dorsetgal & GeoDog

Dorset Gal - good point re. DDA compliance - I have to be honest, I don't think it is! This has occured to me before (working in the Disability field an' all). The restaurant / bar is accessible but I've never actually asked them if they have a disabled loo hidden away anywhere - I think if they have, it would be in the building at the top of the car park which is a ridiculously long way from the bar.

The Bankes Arms at Studland has been suggested rather than the Red Lion - they have a large beer garden overlooking the sea, and if it's raining there's plenty of space inside. I know that the beer garden is accessible and there's a car park nearby. Will have to check re. the inside though.

How would the end of May suit everyone? I've never arranged a 'do' before (or attended one, either), should it just be an evening meet, or would people prefer to meet for lunch somewhere? There are several suitable restaurants in Swanage. The Bankes Arms also do evening meals, but would obviously need some notice if 50 people are suddenly going to descend on them demanding grub.

I dunno - let me know the sort of thing you would prefer everyone.

i'd say lunchtime as it gives people time to cache before and after then still get home if they have minicachers with them. the adults can always stay and extend it into the evening.

speak to the pub but at the end of the day i expect it'll be the normal first come first served aspect. large garden so even if they are full inside we can all be out there!!

there's a nice fish and chip shop on swanage prom otherwise!!! B)

not ever been there but this one has a skittle alley.....

Village Inn - Swanage

Ulwell, Swanage, Dorset. BH19 3DG Tel: 01929 427644 Fax: 01929 421500

Good food beers and wines. Family area and indoor heated swimming pool. Open for morning coffee, lunches and evening snacks and meals. Sunday Lunch carvery. Ideal stop for ramblers. Situated just off the main Swanage-Studland road, with ample parking, skittle evenings & quiz nights available in the winter.

I would think that the Banks arms is a good place for a do. There are several caches close by (yours I believe RI :) and the beer garden is huge with nice views of the bay etc.

As for the planned mega event, we had a campsite in mind which is also not far from Studland and Corfe Castle. Unfortunately Lynn's health is somewhat 'sub-optimal' and to organise such a large do at this great a distance would be prohibitive. We are both dissapointed about this but Lynn doesn't want to kick something off and then not be able to follow through. It would be a good spot for a camping event though.

As to the rumour etc. We had heard that The Great Raymondo was thinking of organising a large event and had talked with someone about approaching him and possibly joining forces. However, with Lynn's problems etc. the whole exercise got relegated to a back burner and TGR was never approached.

Looks like I'll be working back down there in early April, possibly for a couple of months on and off so I'll be definitely watching for any events cropping up. I stay in Swanage when I'm there so I'm up for a beer anytime :D

Cheers,

Martin

Edited by Team Maddie UK

Sorry to hear that Lynn's ill, I hope she feels better soon?

Sandstorm also has a great cache very close to the Bankes Arms, and Gary & Jane have one within walking distance from there too. We will investigate whether the pub is DDA compliant, and if it is, we will suggest some dates. How does that sound?

I am working in Swansea next week though, so I'll get back to you all next weekend - hope that's okay,

Becky

No doubt everyone will frown at me because this post is kind of off-topic, but I just wanted to say hello - we're back! We haven't been caching very much for a few months, as I had a miscarriage and was then quite ill. However, I'm now much better and what's more, we have Broadband at last so I can use the forums without having to watch the phone bill, yay!

Anyone got any plans to come caching in Purbeck this spring / summer? I see there was talk a while back about a spring event in Ulwell? We'd love to meet up for a drink if anyone's around. I recommend the Red Lion if so, 15 types of cider - yummy!

(Go on, now all shout at me for being off topic :anicute: )

we're going near Lymington for easter!:huh: it is very nice in that area.

We could do end of may as it's half term! would love a day time meet to enable caching. hope to do old harry and the trig challenge this summer! Happy with any date though as only have to hop across the sea! sorry to hear Lynn is ill and pray for a speedy recovery and hope you are now fit and well again Rhyme sorry to hear your sad news (((hugs))) minxyy