Cannot get Cachmate to down load to PDA

P3FE

I have a palm Z22 and have cachemate installed on it. When I go to download from GSAK to cachemate when I do the hotsync it is interupted and says "HotSync Error: An application cancelled sychronization or failed to respond to a HotSync notification. Please ensure that you are not currently editing data using applications such as Palm OS Desktop or Install Tool. (8009). What gives I dont understand this. All programs are closed.

How can you blame that on Vista? I've been using Vista, GSAK and Cachemate without a SINGLE PROBLEM for the past ~3 weeks.

I have actually had the same problem, though my PDA is actually a Motorola Q. The Vista that I have on my PC does not use Activesync, only "Windows mobile device center"..

You need what's called palm desktop, get the latest from Palm. I know, they say that it's not completely compatible with Vista and you won't be able to transfer software, you can.

Run the programs as administrator and it's fine. If you're the only user turn off Vista's protection and you can run it as you would have in the past.

It does work, it's not completely broken as some would have you believe. Those at Palm, I mean.

I had similar problems.

A number of people made suggestions but nothing worked.

I finally got GSAK to run, and was able to download waypoints to my Garmin GPSMap 60cs after downloading a new driver from the Garmin site.

I never got my palm desktop to work, and never was able to transfer anything to my palm device.

After chewing out my son for loading Vista, he removed it from my computer. He had already removed it from HIS computer. I am back on XP...and back geocaching after two weeks off!

Good luck.

The problem is not with Windows Vista, it is with the Palm Quick Install software, which still does not support .prc or .pdb (which is what you need for Cachemate) files yet. Check out this link Click me. I spent several nights banging my head against the wall, cursing Vista, until I realized that the problems were with Palm not being on the ball and had nothing to do with Vista. In my experience, I have found Vista to be a very intuitive, easy to use OS. With any major upgrade there are growing pains, some worse than others. Since I am the only one that uses my computer, I was finally able to get my files to download to my Z22 by doing this....

On your PC, go to the Control Panel>User Accounts and Family Safety>Turn User Account Control On or Off-- Turn Them "OFF".

This is what worked for me and a few others that I know of, but thats no guarantee. Good luck, hope it works for you!

That's doing it the hard way and not necessary, if you do what the link said to do that is. You can turn off the user account control as you finally did and it will run or you can give it administrator privileges, I know of at least 3 Vista systems that can install the stuff just like the older XP system.

Vista isn't perfect, but in this case the program does run.

There are other things that absolutely will not run correctly under Vista and a install of XP would be needed if you need those programs.

Edited by cummings66

Ok I'm needing some help here....I prchased a M515 off e-bay...it didn't come with cd-s or manual....I own windows vista...I have now downloaded GSAK and purchased Cachemate...but I don't know how to get cachemate onto the palm and where to go from there....frustrated....I should have bought one with the manual and cd's i guess...how do you check and send e-mail on a palm i can't figure that out either.

Ok I'm needing some help here....I prchased a M515 off e-bay...it didn't come with cd-s or manual....I own windows vista...I have now downloaded GSAK and purchased Cachemate...but I don't know how to get cachemate onto the palm and where to go from there....frustrated....I should have bought one with the manual and cd's i guess...how do you check and send e-mail on a palm i can't figure that out either.

I had problems and instead of wasting my time trying to troubleshoot all the issues with vista I just bought a $15 1GB SD card. Save software and waypoints to it slide it in my PDA and bingo all done.

1. Go to Palm.com here for the M515.

2. download the palm desktop.

3. use the quick install to prep the Cachemate file for loading

4. hotsync the palm.

you can also get the user manuals from the link above.

HTH

I actually use the Chapura hotsync software that came with my M515, as it integrates (read: replaces) the palm desktop and syncs with my microsoft Outlook e-mail client, and keeps my notes and such. Take a look at Pocket Mirror standard here. But they want you to pay for it. Mine came on the installation CD...

Oh, and it allows me to read my e-mail on my palm...