Looking For GPS to start caching with.

I am just starting out and can't wait to start caching. I love going hiking and I have found out there are alot of caches in my area where I live. I'm excited to get started but I don't have a gps unit and I'm not to sure which one to buy. I don't want anything to expensive, just something to get me started with. If anyone can help please let me know, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

-NatureGirl

Hi, NatureGirl07.

I don't know how much you think is too expensive.

Many people have used the Garmin eTrex. This is the basic unit. It is yellow. It has no maps and cannot be upgraded. You can buy one new for about $90.

A Garmin that has a basic map and can be upgraded is the eTrex Legend. New ones run about $130-150.

For Magellan, the unit most comparable to the eTrex (yellow) is the eXplorist 100. They have no map and cannot be upgraded. It does not connect to a computer. The cost of a new one, if you can find it, is around $90-100. Their most inexpensive model with mapping that can connect to a computer is the eXplorist 210. It is a little more expensive than an eTrex Legend. Some people prefer Magellan, though.

If you want a basic unit with a lot of features, it is hard to beat the Lowrance iFinder GO or GO2. They have basic mapping. The GO2 has a better base map than the GO, and twice the memory. The GO sells for about $80, and the GO2 for $90.

I am just starting out and can't wait to start caching. I love going hiking and I have found out there are alot of caches in my area where I live. I'm excited to get started but I don't have a gps unit and I'm not to sure which one to buy. I don't want anything to expensive, just something to get me started with. If anyone can help please let me know, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

-NatureGirl

A Garmin eTrex will serve quite well for starting out, and can frequently be found on Ebay for around $50 plus shipping. You'll probably want to spend the extra $30-40 and buy a PC interface cable to go with it, but it's not absolutely required...it just saves a lot of button-pushing when setting up cache waypoints.

Just my two cents' worth...

73 de N5ILN

Thank you for all the information. Thats about the price range I was thinking of. I already have seen ones at Cabelas that are $400. Thats a little pricey for me right now. Especially since I'm just starting. Maybe once I get into caching more I will get a better one. That is alot of useful information. I've been hearing alot about the Yellow Garmin eTrex to start with. Any idea where the best place to buy one is? The internet or a store?

Thank you again for all your information,

-NatureGirl

Check out Wal-Mart, a friend of mine scored a Magellan Explorer 200 for $74 bucks. That sounded like one heck of a deal. Personally myself all I have used is Garmin.

Be a little careful about buying a used one, I bought a used Garmin etrax vista off the forums, and it must of taken a heck of a smack, ever once in while when it gets bump while caching it shuts off. To get it fixed it would cost me $140 bucks, for that I could of bought a new one. Just an FYI.

Thanks! I will definatly check Walmart out.... most likely tonight!

* Just can't wait to get a GPS and get started :rolleyes:

I also noticed the etrex yellow for $70 in a sale ad for Academy this week.

I got along fine with a magellan explorist 100 for years (no data input cable available, unless you want to hack into the machine), but the computer hookup is nice. If you think you'll tire of manually inputting coordinates by joystick (just slightly easier and faster than typing text into a telephone through the number pad), skip the yellow etrex and get a vista or a legend--they come with the cable.

* Just can't wait to get a GPS and get started :rolleyes:

Hi naturegirl. If you wish, you are welcome to an older Garmin of mine. My dad gave it to me and I never used it. Then I got a Magellan GPS for my car last month and loved it...so I just bought another for all my hiking/mountain biking stuff this week (Garmin 60CSx). Like you, I am dying to go on my first hunt, as I've just heard about the "geocaching" aspect of GPS.

Of 'curse, the friggin 16" of snow we got in the last month has managed to put a damper on things...but has been rather effective in forcing me to read these manuals.

Lemme know...I'll see if I can locate it and get the model #. It should be worthy to give the coord's, and perhaps you can save up and get a better unit in the interim.

Good luck either way!

Hi, NatureGirl07.

If you want a basic unit with a lot of features, it is hard to beat the Lowrance iFinder GO or GO2. They have basic mapping. The GO2 has a better base map than the GO, and twice the memory. The GO sells for about $80, and the GO2 for $90.

We have a GO, by the way if you look hard enough you can easily get a new one for about $60-70, not $80 (the $90 for the GO2 is pretty accurate though).

Excellent unit in terms of satellite reception and accuracy, however, if you REALLY get into caching (like say more than a couple per week) the only problem is that it is almost impossible to connect it to a PC and upload/download waypoints. Now for the level of caching we do manually entering the waypoints is no bother, but it would drive some people crazy.

Enjoy! We know there are excellent caches in your area because our family has a 2nd home in Drums (about 20 miles north of you if I remember right) that we go to a few weekends/year and we're dying to do some more of your area's local caches when we visit again soon.....(not that our area is exactly lacking or anything :rolleyes:)

* Just can't wait to get a GPS and get started ;)

In that vein (in terms of having been your way sometimes as noted above), I'm guessing you'd be going to the big SuperCenter on Airport Road. When we were last there in Sept. we were looking around at GPSr's as a friend was along who was interested in buying one and compared to some Wal-Marts they were surprisingly lacking in this (I read somewhere that they are actually one of the largest Wally Worlds in physical size in the entire US), I remember they were out of the Yellow Etrex and the only other one they carried at the time was the Legend. You may have better luck with an Internet vendor. Again, good luck and enjoy, on matcat's forum thread in the Northeast forum we noted some great caches local to you that we either did or hope to do next time we're there, the Centralia earthcache (actually closer to you than where we stay) is particularly fascinating and only requires essentially letting your GPS get you to the coords, so very good for a newbie!

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

I have been using an eXplorist 100 for over a year and it has served me quite well.

The lack of a PC cable hasn't bothered me as I enter only a couple caches at a time, so manual entry is OK.

I have found the larger numbers on the Magellan's display easier to read. I had a Garmin eTrex Legend for a couple days but found the display a bit small to read.

I still like my 100, but I am looking at a 210 as a possible upgrade.

Edited by Fuzzywhip

I have been using an eXplorist 100 for over a year and it has served me quite well.

The lack of a PC cable hasn't bothered me as I enter only a couple caches at a time, so manual entry is OK.

I have found the larger numbers on the Magellan's display easier to read. I had a Garmin eTrex Legend for a couple days but found the display a bit small to read.

I still like my 100, but I am looking at a 210 as a possible upgrade.

Yes, I forgot to mention that the screen on the Lowrance GO is pretty small, even for a handheld, thanks for indirectly noting. But we've had no problem with it.

:blink: I am new to this subject and was in the same boat as you were about a week ago. I have never used a GPS and wanted something user friendly for a decent price. I wanted to use it mostly for hiking and geocaching. I settled for the Etrex Vista for $167 at Walmart and purchased it last Wednesday. It does not have the colored screen but does have 24 MB of internal memory. It also has the compass and altimeter feature which I wanted. I figured this unit would teach me the basics and then I can upgrade in a few years and pass this one on to my son. Walmart also has the bundle package you can get online for $204.64. It contains the Vista, carrying case and cigarette adapter.

There are allot more knowledgable cachers out there than me, since I am a newbie, but this unit has been good to me so far. Found my first cache yesterday and was within 9 feet of the reading. Have fun and hit the trail!

I think when I go out and buy one I might go with the Venture CX. What does everyone else think of it? Good chice or not?
You will not find a better GPS for the money. It has great features that you can grow into.

If you buy an inexpensive micro SD card, you can load as many geocaches as you want as points of interest using Garmin's free POI Loader program. On a recent trip, I loaded almost 2800 caches.

Eventually, you may want to upgrade the maps. This will allow you to take advantage of the Venture CX's awesome turn-by-turn routing.

I paid about $180 for mine. You will need a mini USB cable to upload caches to it, but you probably have one laying around the house that you use with your camera or pda.

Edited by sbell111

Hey NatureGirl07, don't know if you got one yet. I'm brand new to Geocaching and got the Venture CX from Walmart.com for $186. I like the color screen and the abiltiy to use a microSD card. Got a 1GB card for $20 which will hold lots of info. Since it didn't come with a USB cable, I used a cable from an old digital camera and works fine. Went on for hunts with mine and works great. Start up rather quickly with no problems. Looked at Magellans and just thought Garmins were easier to use. Good luck with whatever you go with.

I have the Garmin Etrex (the yellow Garmin). I think it's the cheapest Garmin you can buy. I would definitely tell you to get the cable if you choose to buy it. However, I'd also encourage you to spend a little more an get at least the Garmin Legend (it's blue). It's easier to input co-ordinates and the maps are much better with detail. I've used the Etrex for 4 years now I think.... and it's OK. But I also don't cache as often as many other's do. Spend the $70-90 on the Etrex if you think this is a hobby you'll get into and will soon lose interest in. But if you know you'll be caching for years to come (even if it's only 6 times a year), don't get anything less than the Legend.

I have the older yellow eTrex and recently upgraded to a Venture Cx (also yellow) and I love them both. If you get the older type with serial PC port you can get a cheap plug at pfranc (Google it) to make your own cable. My boss' Garmin 60CSx has a much better antenna and receiver for a better signal in tree cover, etc. but it costs twice the price of the Venture. If you do get a Venture or any Garmin using the usb cable for power keep in mind that you can use a cell phone usb car power cord for them (Blackberry/some Motorola). Got one at Walmart for cdn$13.

It's probably more than you want to spend but I picked up the Magellan eXplorist XL from Newegg for 295. It has a coupon code on the box under a yellow sticker for 9.99 for the Mapsend software. I bought the same software for 99 at Walmart and opened it before the unit came in... ;) hehe. I've also seen the eXplorist 500LE (same as 500 but with option to use 3 AAA's instead of l-ion pak) going for 165 on ther with same coupon.

Good luck with whatever you find and happy hiking ! ;)

Check out Wal-Mart, a friend of mine scored a Magellan Explorer 200 for $74 bucks. That sounded like one heck of a deal. Personally myself all I have used is Garmin.

Be a little careful about buying a used one, I bought a used Garmin etrax vista off the forums, and it must of taken a heck of a smack, ever once in while when it gets bump while caching it shuts off. To get it fixed it would cost me $140 bucks, for that I could of bought a new one. Just an FYI.

I have the Vista as well and it started doing just what you said and I followed these directions from this great post and it is as good as new again.

http://home.triad.rr.com/ralloh/Vista%20LED%20Repair.pdf