How do I get started with paperless Geocaching?

I have recently purchased a Garmin 60Csx (by the way, an INCREDIBLE unit!) and am now interested in leaning the ins and outs of paperless Geocaching. What do I need to start? Yes, I have referenced the help pages on geocaching.com...they have managed nothing more than completely confusing me.

Anyone willing to help the technologically impaired??? :(

Thanks!

1. Get a PDA. Check ebay for them, probably $10-30. Look for one with at least 8 megs RAM.

2. Get CacheMate. $8 This is the program for the PDA to store cache info.

3. Get GSAK. $25 Used to sort/filter cache data downloaded by GPX files and/or PQ's (which contain GPX files). You can then export to PDA, GPSr, map programs, etc.

There are other software combo's you can use, these are the ones I like.

First decide if you want a Palm or Windows based operating system. The Windows based are referred to as Pocket PC. They are essentially a mini desktop computer in your pocket. They cost more but interact more efficiently with your desktop applications such as Word, calendar, Exel, etc...

Yep, same thing. I purchased an M125 Palm on eBay for a couple of bucks. I've been picking up 100 series palms for anywhere from 0.99 to 12.00 (everyone in my family now has one, even my 11 year old). These m100s work beautifully for caching, and other things too. This one (ebay item number) 270095259279 is at 0.99 cents right now and includes the docking cradle. This one is an m100 and only has 3mb of memory. The m105 has 8mb and the m125 has 8mb but includes a memory card slot, allowing you to add additional memory. There is an m125 on eBay (230099341582) right now with ten hours left and it is sitting at 11.25 right now. It is brand new in the box. Insure you purchase one with a docking cradle, it will be nearly useless without one, some on eBay don't have them. These are really decent units and the cost is unbeatable, especially since they cost in the neighborhood of $150.00 new.

Palm software can be downloaded from the Palm website, so if the palm does not come with software don't sweat it.

Cachemate is the program to have for geocaching. You can download a trial version that allows you to load five caches, but the $8.00 is nothing to pay and you can load as many caches as your palm will hold. Just use your pocket queries. Cachemate holds, descriptions, hints, last five logs and a page to log your visit. A couple of other thing that I can't remember right now.

If you need any help when you get one, or if you're still curious and have questions I would be more than happy to see if I can help.

Thanks for all the input from everyone. I have a Palm Tungsten E already, so I doubt I buy anything else. I need to figure out how to get the coords from geocaching.com to my GPSr, then I think I've got 'er licked. Thanks again!

I do have a quick question though....... When I export my data to cachemate and try to pull it up on my Palm, it doesn't have the Hints, and past logs.... It appears to only have the first page of information... did I set something up on GSAK wrong because I noticed that under the "Cache type" column it has a question mark instead of the icon for the cache. HELP!!!!! soooooo close. :)

1. Get a PDA. Check ebay for them, probably $10-30. Look for one with at least 8 megs RAM.

2. Get CacheMate. $8 This is the program for the PDA to store cache info.

3. Get GSAK. $25 Used to sort/filter cache data downloaded by GPX files and/or PQ's (which contain GPX files). You can then export to PDA, GPSr, map programs, etc.

There are other software combo's you can use, these are the ones I like.

Do NOT get GSAK if you use a Mac, unless you can also run Windows off of your machine.

Thanks for all the input from everyone. I have a Palm Tungsten E already, so I doubt I buy anything else. I need to figure out how to get the coords from geocaching.com to my GPSr, then I think I've got 'er licked. Thanks again!

I do have a quick question though....... When I export my data to cachemate and try to pull it up on my Palm, it doesn't have the Hints, and past logs.... It appears to only have the first page of information... did I set something up on GSAK wrong because I noticed that under the "Cache type" column it has a question mark instead of the icon for the cache. HELP!!!!! soooooo close. :rolleyes:

On the upper right hand part of the screen there should be a drop down menu that you can access when you are in cachemate looking at an individual cache. From there you can view the cache description or the hint, or open a log page to make notes about the cache, among other things.

I do have a quick question though....... When I export my data to cachemate and try to pull it up on my Palm, it doesn't have the Hints, and past logs.... It appears to only have the first page of information... did I set something up on GSAK wrong because I noticed that under the "Cache type" column it has a question mark instead of the icon for the cache. HELP!!!!! soooooo close. :rolleyes:

It sounds like you loaded LOC files, not GPX files. LOC files have name, code, lat/lon; GPX files have everything the cache page has. There are only two ways to get GPX files - from a PQ emailed to you OR downloading from link on the cache page. If you use the "preview" function of a PQ and download from those pages, you will get LOC files. They are the same as the "search" pages.