Benchmarks ?

Ricfel

When checking out the benchmarks pages, I noticed that there is only ever one log entry listed for each benchmark that has been found (or at least the several I checked). Does this mean no one else can log that they found it also? Is the idea just to be the first and then that's it?

Just not a lot of people into benchmarking. And, a lot of them are very tough to find. Of the four hundred or so that I've found, I've probably been the only person to log most of them. On the other hand, some of the popular ones will get hundreds of logs. Here's one with 39 logs: LY2611 Laurel, none of which is for the right benchmark! The benchmark is buried under the asphalt in the parking lot. The Reference Mark 1 is not the benchmark.

A couple of hundred finds on this one: KU1449. Part of a mystery cache in New York City. Even found by a few people who hunt benchmarks exclusively!

Unlike geocaches, previous finds on benchmarks will usually make them much easier for subsequent finders. Now, go out and find some benchmarks! And be sure to upload photos.

Heh, there is a benchmark literally three blocks from my house that no one as logged yet, so this weekend I'm going to get a benchmark FTF on it :( Though I dunno, is it considered FTF if your the first to log a benchmark? :( At either rate, I would of gotten it already, but I just got my GPSr the other day, and I work from early in the morning until after it gets dark, so I'm waiting until I can hit it in the daylight, and take a pic.

Heh, there is a benchmark literally three blocks from my house that no one as logged yet, so this weekend I'm going to get a benchmark FTF on it :( Though I dunno, is it considered FTF if your the first to log a benchmark? :( At either rate, I would of gotten it already, but I just got my GPSr the other day, and I work from early in the morning until after it gets dark, so I'm waiting until I can hit it in the daylight, and take a pic.

you might want a 100 ft tape measure, small shovel and the printed sheet from the site here with locations to measure from as well as the gps. good luck. my first was under 3" of soil and i used a 1/8 steel rod to "probe" the ground at the intersecting points to find it.

is it any of these?

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/nearest.asp...mp;lon=-75.8777

Tim

Edited by srt4guy

Wow, hasn't been reported since 1973.

Be careful.

Are you sure you won't be trespassing on railroad property?

I know the exact spot that its 'reported' to be at, it looks like its just off to the side of the tracks, and its a common area for people to be walking about :)