GPSMAP 60Cx, 60CSx, 76Cx, 76CSx version 3.20

myotis

Has anyone found a way to display CustomPOIs at a zoomed out range WITHOUT displaying every gas station and restaurant as well?

Thanks.

Seems as if we are looking for the same options!!

See my posting and screenshot #31

The problem is you cannot. They really messed up all the display stuff. You cannot display text for waypoints and not custom POIs. That is really stupid. You would think instead of putting resources into making a useless card info page, they would devote the resources to fixing the custom POIs.

I went to thier site and complained. I hope many others will start complaining about it too.

I don't see anything about compass page corrections, will upgrade and see how it works. Have compass page issues since 3.10, never had any before.

They changed the way the compass page works in 3.10. They turn off the pointer when you arrive when using turn-by-turn navigation. I like it and wish the system that came with my car did that. Are you having other issues?

Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.20:

Add capability to see vertical profile of an autoroute using DEM topo data.

Anyone tried uploading DEM topo data? How is this done?

Brian

Here is Garmin's response to my question on this feature:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International!

I am happy to help you with this. This is a feature that's been a added

for possible future updates not currently available. I apologize for the

confusion.

Has anyone found a way to display CustomPOIs at a zoomed out range WITHOUT displaying every gas station and restaurant as well?

Thanks.

Seems as if we are looking for the same options!!

See my posting and screenshot #31

The problem is you cannot. They really messed up all the display stuff. You cannot display text for waypoints and not custom POIs. That is really stupid. You would think instead of putting resources into making a useless card info page, they would devote the resources to fixing the custom POIs.

I went to thier site and complained. I hope many others will start complaining about it too.

I have a custom map of my area along with City Nav maps. I can hide the City Nav map and the Garmin POIs go away leaving just my geocache POIs. I like it. Instead of a custom map, maybe topo woruld work for roads too.

map page->menu->setup map->i tab->menu

I think I found a bug. On the geocaching page, if you push quit, it does not do anything. It used to go to the previous page. The compass page works correctly though. Can someone please verify since I use a custom order in my page selection.

I went geocaching today and noticed the same thing. :sad:

Yup. I'm seeing the same thing.

I think this release got rushed out to accommodate the DST change in the US.

Yes, as you said and it is annoying because it is a pain to switch from map to pointer, you have to go through the "page" !

Again this kind of bug that affects a function that seems not have been changed in this firmware makes me consider poor programming practice, change management control and testing !

Sorry but this is not acceptable !

And this is no surprise for me BTW, I am pretty sure they rely on cheap programming labor. I have worked for a major US bank that started to work like that. Move the programming jobs to sweat shops. This would lead to this kind of programs. True the accountants were happy but not the users !

I did not upgrade to 3.1 but went for 3.2. Now let's wait for 3.3

I think I found a bug. On the geocaching page, if you push quit, it does not do anything. It used to go to the previous page. The compass page works correctly though. Can someone please verify since I use a custom order in my page selection.

I went geocaching today and noticed the same thing. :sad:

As a workaround to this bug I've temporarily changed my page sequence to

Satellite, Compass, Map, Active Route, ...

This allows you to toggle easily back and forward between Map and Compass when caching which, to me, was the main concern.

Man you guys in the US really get hosed.... :laughing: You'd think a US company would provide decent map software for their own country.... :ph34r:

Hello Red..question for ya...looks like you're in Alberta?...just wondering about the accuracy of your Topo maps...in general, the topos here in Newfoundland are quite good, but roads are notoriously inaccurate...for example, using metroguide, if i pass under an overpass the gps shows me passing under an overpass...with topo canada, i am perhaps 200 meters past the overpass when the gps indicates i'm under it...it's not a one-time thing....it's always....most inaccuracies are not this bad, but in general, roads are not real accurate...not surprising i guess....but what concerns me more is that on a couple of occasions, when looking over my track after a 4x4 ride during summer, my track shows me crossing a small pond...this has happened twice....in 2 different locations....ride the same route again, same thing....the pond (about 300 meters by 200 meters does NOT exist...there is neither one close that could be it either...it's not there....i checked the paper maps, and it's the same thing...the pond shows on that map as well ( not surprising either since they are based on the same data as far as i know)....so i figured that the pond must have existed at some time...so i went back to one of the locations....it's pretty virgin territory and i would bet my life that a pond NEVER existed there...that kind of inaccuracy is dangerous don't you think....not the fact that a pond is missing, but what could happen if i crossed an area at night (one of these rides WAS a night ride) that did NOT indicate a pond, but one IS there....just wondering if the maps out your way show the same innacuracies....don't get me wrong, i love the topo maps, and they have benefited me immensely in my foolish explorations, and i believe sometimes we expect too much, but innacuracies are different than missing ponds!!...anyway, just wondering....and by the way, it wasn't a gps problem....a friend and i checked that possibility out thoroughly and it isn't a gps inaccuracy...it's definitely a map inaccuracy....that was in the spring about a year ago...dadgum, i have to go back there a look again....it is itching me!!

The Topo Canada maps use data taken directly from teh Federal government 1:50000 maps. The information shown is the same as on those maps. Blame the govenment if you do not like it. The maps were originally created by hand from aerial photographs in the 50s and 60s. This leaves room for errors and was never intended for accuracy better than 50 to 100 meters.

I am quite certain that the topography data will NEVER be updated as our government figures once is good enough.

The road data is better being around 5 years old or so and is identical to that found in Metroguide Canada V4.

If the maps were "great" I would not be running a mapping project.

Edited by Red90

I went geocaching today and noticed the same thing. :laughing:

Same bug here too. Is everyone experiencing this? Has anyone contacted Garmin about it?

Bret

I went geocaching today and noticed the same thing. :laughing:

Same bug here too. Is everyone experiencing this? Has anyone contacted Garmin about it?

Bret

I did. Their "solution" is to recommend going back to the previous release. Which I think means they'll fix it on the next release, but they have no idea when that will be.

Bret

Here's an oddity... If you're on the Geocaching page (with the "Found", "Note" and "Stop" selections on the bottom), and you highlight "Note" or "Stop" and THEN hit Quit, the highlight will jump to the "Found" selection. You still can't use the Quit button to move away from that page, but it does do something! This definitely needs work....

--Larry

Bret

I was out caching with a group of people yesterday and one of the others noticed this too, whereas I didn't since I use custom waypoint symbols, so it appears to only affect waypoints with the closed treasure chest, that is if you use the geocaching mode.

ProsperoDK/René

Bret

Here's an oddity... If you're on the Geocaching page (with the "Found", "Note" and "Stop" selections on the bottom), and you highlight "Note" or "Stop" and THEN hit Quit, the highlight will jump to the "Found" selection. You still can't use the Quit button to move away from that page, but it does do something! This definitely needs work....

--Larry

I think they did this ON PURPOSE. Seriously.

Bret

--Larry

I ran into this today on my compass page, when I tried to use the quit button to return to the map page. I did find a fix (although, not a very good one). It seemed to only happen when I was navigating to a waypoint. As soon as I stopped navigating, it worked.

Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.20:

Add capability to see vertical profile of an autoroute using DEM topo data.

Anyone tried uploading DEM topo data? How is this done?

Brian

Here is Garmin's response to my question on this feature:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International!

I am happy to help you with this. This is a feature that's been a added

for possible future updates not currently available. I apologize for the

confusion.

I would venture to guess a 3D version of Mapsouce is on the way?? And maybe a 3D 60CSx/60CS/76CSx/76CS too??

Why else would Garmin need DEM data??

The DEM reference is also mentioned in the 6.12.2 Mapsouce update????

I use DEM data to create my own 3D maps (NOT mapsource).

Just a hunch.

It only happen on the "Geocache" navigation screen. The "waypoint" navigation screen works normally.

How do you get to the "Geocache" screen you speak of and once you find a cache how do you mark it as found. The way I have found is that you go and change the icon to the open chest. I was wondering if there was a button that you can push "Mark as Found" and it will do it for you.

It only happen on the "Geocache" navigation screen. The "waypoint" navigation screen works normally.

How do you get to the "Geocache" screen you speak of and once you find a cache how do you mark it as found. The way I have found is that you go and change the icon to the open chest. I was wondering if there was a button that you can push "Mark as Found" and it will do it for you.

You have to be in "Off Road" mode for the Navigation screen to show the "Found" "Note" and "Stop" buttons.

I wish they could change that too. :D

Bret

The tide charts in my unit said low tide was at 5:04 but the active tide graph hit the low point at 4:04. I have the lastest update. Someting is not in sync.

It appears that 5:04 was the correct time for the low tide, so it must be the active graph which is off.

Once I uploaded a new mapset to my 60cx the graph was in sync with the tide tables.

I don't see anything about compass page corrections, will upgrade and see how it works. Have compass page issues since 3.10, never had any before.

They changed the way the compass page works in 3.10. They turn off the pointer when you arrive when using turn-by-turn navigation. I like it and wish the system that came with my car did that. Are you having other issues?

Uggh.... I HATE that. I want my pointer back. I've also been having issues when I'm in off road mode. I've lost my pointer multiple times and the only way to get it back is to turn the unit off and then back on again. I never had these issues before........

Personally, I reverted my 60 CSx back to v. 3.10

Any problems since reverting to v3.10?

How did you do it?

Was it the same method as when we went 3.10 to 3.20?

3.20 has really messed up the ability to see Speed Cameras in the UK without the masses of Garmin POIs!!!!! :rolleyes:

Personally, I reverted my 60 CSx back to v. 3.10

Any problems since reverting to v3.10?

How did you do it?

Was it the same method as when we went 3.10 to 3.20?

3.20 has really messed up the ability to see Speed Cameras in the UK without the masses of Garmin POIs!!!!! B)

I just downloaded v. 3.10 and ran it...it asked me if I wanted to use this older version and I said yes...

It will erase your data and settings, but to me it was worth it.

I may have found a workaround for those of you that are seeing Custom POIs and Map points at the same time. In the map setup menu, I set "Map points" to show up at 1.2 miles. When I zoom in on CPOIs, they show up at 1.2 miles, but Map Points show up at 0.3 miles. I have map detail set to "more".

One thing I don't like about this new version is that if you set user waypoints to show up at "Auto" they will remain on the map even if you zoom completely out (500 miles). I don't think that is how it is intended to work. I do like some of the other features they have incorporated into 3.2, so I am sticking with it.

Edited to add: if you set map points to show up at some zoom level other than "AUTO" , and higher than the zoom level that pulls in the features, it apparently ties the zoom to the map zoom so that Map Points show up with the highest zoom level that pulls in all the features. If streets show up at 0.3, so do the Map Points. CPOIS show up at whatever zoom level you set. If you set the Detail down to less, minor roads and map points do not show up until 500ft. whereas CPOIs show up at the zoom level for "Map points".

Perhaps there should be an extra field in the "Map Setup - Points" menu to separate CPOIs from Map Points, (or tie them to user waypoints as with the previous versions B) )

Edited by CenTexDodger