A cache by the railroad

I was just curious, because I did a cache way back when, last year sometime during the summer I think and it was one of my earlier ones in Rose Canyon in San Diego. We found the cache and as we were looking through a train passed and being a friendly guy I just waved. I thought what a cool cache spot, then to find out months later that caches were supposed to be within a certain feet of a railroad. Could it have been grandfathered in, how does that work?

Not to get anyone in trouble or to have this cache archived but I was just curious.

The Cache

Engine, engine number 9 rolling down the track so fine - if the train falls off the tracks do you want your money back

Y E S spells yes and you are the one is it in this game of goecaching

Yes some caches can be close to tracks - looks likt there is a common use bike path and I am very sure the owner spelled this out during the review process

I have two caches within 100' of active railroad tracks. I had to look up the property maps, which showed the railroad owned only 25' on either side of the track, and link them for the reviewer. Apparently railroads normally own 100' on either side of the track, but the property owned by the railroad sometimes varies. It's especially narrow in urban areas.

To my best recollection, we own two caches on the East Coast that are located within 150 feet of active railroad lines, but in each case, there are not one but several public-use and municipal facilities (includng a bus terminal and parking lot), and even a public road, located between the rail line and the cache hide sites, and so the 150 foot rule was rendered totally meaningless in these cases. And, on one 5/5 multicache which Sue and I hunted in NJ, one stage marker was located in the middle of active railroad tracks, at a point where a major public hiking trail crosses the railroad track bed. And, Sue and I have found one extreme cache which is located essentially in the midddle of three very busy parallel railroad tracks sharing the same railbed, and I personally know of a number of reviewers from across the Eastern half of the USA who have found this cache as well, and no one has ever raised a complaint because of some very special and unique extenuating circumstances; to reveal them would unfortunately result in yielding hints for finding the cache and thus I shall say no more. So, while the 150 foot rule works some of the time, there can be many exceptions based upon realities.

there are a couple of cahces in my area where the cache is seriously less than 8 feet from active tracks, but there are iron gates that the caches are stuck to that separate you from the tracks...I feel safe at these kinds of train caches....if there wasn't a gate or fence then I might be a little scared to go for it.