pathtags?

archi77

Hey Stvanme, we'd love to trade for your other tags when they come in...and my brother is a PSU grad! :P And Kyndrid I'd love to trade with you too! :D

I've noted your other tags in the gallery and will be sure to do the trades with you when I have the Pathtags in hand. Being related to a PSU grad puts you second in line, PSU grads get first :P although I don't have any other PSU alumni I'm trading with. I know AtlantaGirl is a fan can't remember if she a grad or not.

Hey Stvanme, we'd love to trade for your other tags when they come in...and my brother is a PSU grad! :laughing: And Kyndrid I'd love to trade with you too! :laughing:

Sure, I'd love to trade. I don't have my trade "sign" on right now because I don't have the actual coins in hand. I figured I would wait until I could post a picture of the actual coin. I'm a little unsure of the trading ettiquette.

I'd like to see the Pathtags site get their own forum as well. I skin and install forums professionally and would be happy to set them up. I think it would be good for the business as well as fun for the members. I'm not real sure who to talk to though.

We're contemplating forum options. They aren't really easy to keep up with for guys who are doing a lot as it is.

I've been trying to work up a design for some more. I may need to come up with a better nickname to keep up with the Tank Hounds... :laughing:

Thanks for all the love, guys. We really enjoy seeing what everyone comes up with.

Another alternative geocaching trackables site? I thought people gave up on them long ago. :smile: Anyone remember Geotagtraveler.com? Don't be fooled by what's there now, it's a URL placeholder. The old site that used to be at that URL used to sell alternative TB tags, but the tracking capability is long gone, and any tags that are out there in the wild are just geotrash. Travelertags.com still exists, and still "works", but basically no one cares, or has ever heard of it. And they do have trackable coins you can buy, and I'm pretty sure you can design your own trackable coins.

Or maybe I'm missing the whole point, and most people want to use these pathtags as signature items, and don't care about the tracking?

Another alternative geocaching trackables site? I thought people gave up on them long ago. :smile: Anyone remember Geotagtraveler.com? Don't be fooled by what's there now, it's a URL placeholder. The old site that used to be at that URL used to sell alternative TB tags, but the tracking capability is long gone, and any tags that are out there in the wild are just geotrash. Travelertags.com still exists, and still "works", but basically no one cares, or has ever heard of it. And they do have trackable coins you can buy, and I'm pretty sure you can design your own trackable coins.

Or maybe I'm missing the whole point, and most people want to use these pathtags as signature items, and don't care about the tracking?

They aren't trackable in the same sense as travel bugs or geocoins. I think most of us are using them as an affordable but very nice signature item. As long as the pathtags.com website exists, we will be able to see where our logged pathtags ended up. And, folks who collect them, whether or not they are owners of their own design, can use the site as an "album" of their collection after they've registered and logged the tags they have. I've collected signature items (mainly signature cards) from the time I started geocaching, and I believe there are many others who do too. So, the trackability of the item has never been an issue. It's that whole "coolness" factor. I see a sig item I like, I trade for it!

:huh:

Personally I have given up on tracking in the traditional geocaching sense, especially with coins. It is impossible to prevent them from getting stolen. The final straw for me was when my daughter, who just opened her own geocaching account released a geocoin that I had given her (it had a teddy bear icon) so she could "see where it travel and others could get the icon". It was kept by the second cacher that found it. I was suprised it even made it to another cache! I tried to warn her what might happen but she wanted to try anyway. She was of course disappointed, I was disgusted. I think Pathtags are the perfect solution for her, finders can keep them, and if they log it see can see where her tags were found and they are inexpensive. I think she will enjoy trading for other tags she likes, leaving as sig items in caches and giving them to her friends at school.

Edited by stvanme

Hey Stvanme, we'd love to trade for your other tags when they come in...and my brother is a PSU grad! :huh: And Kyndrid I'd love to trade with you too! :smile:

Sure, I'd love to trade. I don't have my trade "sign" on right now because I don't have the actual coins in hand. I figured I would wait until I could post a picture of the actual coin. I'm a little unsure of the trading ettiquette.

I see you put your trade sign on, I have requested a trade with you. That has got to be one of the best looking tags I have seen so far. Nice job! I'll be more than willing to wait for you to get them in.

Pathtags, Geotags or Trolley Coins or what ever you choose to call them are the new hot up and coming coin/slug/tag/signature item due to the fact that they are far more inexpensive than the actual cost of a full size coin.

The reason you may not have heard of them is because you haven't visited the "coin" forums. They are running rampant over there.

To clear up a few misconceptions there are a couple different ways to go about having one of these produced. I currently know of three different versions of these,they have different names and different options for each. You are not locked into either one of the options, in fact you can contact any mint in the pinned thread in the coin forums and they can quote you a price.

1. Pathtags are a trademarked name minted by Geocoin Store. These have your design on one side and the Pathtag tracking number on the other. These are NOT GC trackable. For $99 you get 25 tags and your die. Your next 100 tags will be $99. SO your initial 125 tags will cost you $1.60. Then $1.00 for each tag after that
  2. Geotags are a similar version of Pathtags. Mike from The Atwell Family is the mastermind behind this project. They are GC trackable and will cost a little more for that feature. Info can be found her Geotags
  3. Trolley coins is the original name for this concept and can be Googled to learn of the origin of these. Most mints will be more than happy to assist you with this adventure and will explain the options you have. Email me for additional info.

Pathtags, Geotags or Trolley Coins or what ever you choose to call them are the new hot up and coming coin/slug/tag/signature item due to the fact that they are far more inexpensive than the actual cost of a full size coin.

The reason you may not have heard of them is because you haven't visited the "coin" forums. They are running rampant over there.

To clear up a few misconceptions there are a couple different ways to go about having one of these produced. I currently know of three different versions of these,they have different names and different options for each. You are not locked into either one of the options, in fact you can contact any mint in the pinned thread in the coin forums and they can quote you a price.

1. Pathtags are a trademarked name minted by Geocoin Store. These have your design on one side and the Pathtag tracking number on the other. These are NOT GC trackable. For $99 you get 25 tags and your die. Your next 100 tags will be $99. SO your initial 125 tags will cost you $1.60. Then $1.00 for each tag after that
  2. Geotags are a similar version of Pathtags. Mike from The Atwell Family is the mastermind behind this project. They are GC trackable and will cost a little more for that feature. Info can be found her Geotags
  3. Trolley coins is the original name for this concept and can be Googled to learn of the origin of these. Most mints will be more than happy to assist you with this adventure and will explain the options you have. Email me for additional info.

For $99 you get 50 Pathtags and your die, not 25.

Geotags are nothing more than a micro geocoin with a hole in it. They are trackable thus raising the cost at least $1.50 per coin. I believe these will be no different than any other geocoin, they will get stolen quite frequently. They have their own icon but it is the same icon for all Geotags. The backs are all the same just like Pathtags. Geotags are limited to 4 colors, there is no limit on colors for Pathtags as far as I know

As mentioned before Pathtags are great inexpensive sig. items and the web site makes collecting, trading and tracking them great fun.

Edited by stvanme

Another alternative geocaching trackables site? I thought people gave up on them long ago. :P Anyone remember Geotagtraveler.com? Don't be fooled by what's there now, it's a URL placeholder. The old site that used to be at that URL used to sell alternative TB tags, but the tracking capability is long gone, and any tags that are out there in the wild are just geotrash. Travelertags.com still exists, and still "works", but basically no one cares, or has ever heard of it. And they do have trackable coins you can buy, and I'm pretty sure you can design your own trackable coins.

They aren't trackable in the same sense as travel bugs or geocoins. I think most of us are using them as an affordable but very nice signature item. As long as the pathtags.com website exists, we will be able to see where our logged pathtags ended up. And, folks who collect them, whether or not they are owners of their own design, can use the site as an "album" of their collection after they've registered and logged the tags they have. I've collected signature items (mainly signature cards) from the time I started geocaching, and I believe there are many others who do too. So, the trackability of the item has never been an issue. It's that whole "coolness" factor. I see a sig item I like, I trade for it!

:laughing:

Thanks for the response. OK, I get it. I think these things will be successful. And I just looked at the geocoin forum, (which I rarely do), and they're the talk of the town. I believe they will succeed where Travelertags and the original geotag's failed (OK, travelertags.com technically hasn't failed), due mainly to this being the geocoin era. Both those websites preceeded the "geocoin era". Now to see about getting me some of these Pathtag or geotag things myself. :laughing:

Maybe with the PathTag craze....the GeoCoin people will finally drop their prices.

That is possible. The initial order deadline at the current prices is April 4th. After that the producer indicated there may be a change in prices. Whether it is up or down is anybodies guess. With the $1.50 charge for tracking number they will always be at least double what a Pathtag costs.

It boils down to Pathtags are meant to be kept by the finder and since Geotags are trackable they are not. They may look the same but they serve different purposes. If you want a true signature item get a Pathtag, if you want an attractive, inexpensive travel bug get a Geotag.

We just made our first pathtag order yesterday! We sent in our design and we are anxious to see the template. We love pathtags and love finding them in caches. We loved the idea the first time we found one in a cache and we have been hooked ever since. I think they are going to take off, or at least we are really hoping they do.

Edited by Brayden's Brigade

We just made our first pathtag order yesterday! We sent in our design and we are anxious to see the template. We love pathtags and love finding them in caches. We loved the idea the first time we found one in a cache and we have been hooked ever since. I think they are going to take off, or at least we are really hoping they do.

If there isn't any problems with the design it doesn't take any longer than a day or two (business day). You should see your template show up in your "My Page" on Monday or Tuesday at the latest. Hope you open it up for trades! You'll have a great time if you do.

We just received an email saying the design was sent to the production team for review. I really struggled with the design. It's hard keeping it to the recommended 6 colors. I am hoping there aren't too many changes, if any, to be made.

ETA: Here is the design I sent.

exmple.jpg

Edited by Brayden's Brigade

Nice design. For the two I've done so far I used one of their recommended designers. I figured it was worth the $25 to me to simplify the process and insure the design was "blueprinted" in the least amount of time. I know I read somewhere it can take up to a week if they have to make a lot of changes. I just give them my idea and they go with it. Has worked well so far. Problem is they can get busy. I've been waiting two weeks so far for my current Pathtag design.

Good luck.

Edited by stvanme

I finally got artwork together for mine, I had honeychile help me with it - I gave her an idea and she created the tag. I approved it tonight and now it's off to the mint for it! Hmm.... maybe a refill for Father's Day. I'll have to be generous for Mother's Day.

hairball

blueprint1.jpg

We just received an email saying the design was sent to the production team for review. I really struggled with the design. It's hard keeping it to the recommended 6 colors. I am hoping there aren't too many changes, if any, to be made.

ETA: Here is the design I sent.

exmple.jpg

I see your tag has shown up in the Gallery, nice job. Hope to trade with you.

Well, after all the good reviews here, I broke down and ordered my first Path Tag (my first personalized anything, for that matter...) Very simple, but meaningful and representative of my life right now...not sure if this image will come through (first time inserting an image, too...wow, I am a newbie...)

pathtag01copy.jpg

Well, after all the good reviews here, I broke down and ordered my first Path Tag (my first personalized anything, for that matter...) Very simple, but meaningful and representative of my life right now...not sure if this image will come through (first time inserting an image, too...wow, I am a newbie...)

NICE! I think that you'll really like them once they arrive! :)

I just found these today and I can't wait to make one. I would love to trade with people once they come in. I really wanted to make a coin but the price is so high to make them and buy some. Pathtags would be great to put in caches!

Edited by Ble68

Wow! These new pathtags look FANTASTIC!

Archi77, you have a very nice design! Your image looks great and I am impressed. I doubt they will have much trouble making a blueprint.

Hairball45 ~ I rated your tag yesterday I believe. I seen it in the gallery and was very impressed. I gave it a full 10, because I am partial to yorkies and dogs in general. Beautiful.

I really hope you both will be open to trades!

I'm thinking about going with some custom dog tags. They'll be a lot cheaper. Plus with the laser engraving you can put text, graphics or both on both sides! Only thing is they are not trackable. But they'll be fun to leave in a cache or two.

http://www.dogtagsonline.com/engraved.html

http://www.dogtagcreations.com/

http://www.dogtagsinc.com/FullColor/plastic.htm

What do you guys think?

Edited by discord2k

I'm thinking about going with some custom dog tags. They'll be a lot cheaper. Plus with the laser engraving you can put text, graphics or both on both sides! Only thing is they are not trackable. But they'll be fun to leave in a cache or two.

http://www.dogtagsonline.com/engraved.html

http://www.dogtagcreations.com/

http://www.dogtagsinc.com/FullColor/plastic.htm

What do you guys think?

The plastic ones are cheaper but the metal ones aren't according to the sites you listed.

Edited by stvanme

Well it looks like our tag is in production now, here's our blueprint. I don't know if we'll be doing any trading yet, as these are primarily going to be left in caches we hunt as our signature item.

As you can tell, I don't love my Belle too much .... lol

blueprint.jpg

Well it looks like our tag is in production now, here's our blueprint. I don't know if we'll be doing any trading yet, as these are primarily going to be left in caches we hunt as our signature item.

As you can tell, I don't love my Belle too much .... lol

please please please...you've gotta trade with us! We love the dog pathtags (as if you couldn't tell by looking at our designs!). :anicute:

I ordered my pathtags about a month ago and they arrived earlier this week and I'm very happy with the way they turned out. Unlike many designs I've seen in the gallery, my design is based on the way I sign the back of the cards I have been leaving in caches. (My forum avatar is currently set to my pathtag artwork.) Shortly after activating it in the gallery, I had a request for a trade, even though I'm not generally planning on trading them at this point. And I made a trade offer for a pathtag by a noteworthy cacher that was accepted.

These are a great alternative to personal geocoins because you can produce the initial design for a reasonable amount of money and once you have the die created you can order additional tags at a reasonable cost/tag.

I am fairly new to geocaching, but I think i am going to personalize my families pathtag. When my first order of 50 come in, I will leave 48 for other to find and collect, 1 for myself to remember the first batch, and 1 I will attach it to a TravelBug so it can go around and around :D

I too have just OK'ed my blueprint and can't wait to see how they actually turn out. The ones I have gotten from my geocoin club subscription are pretty cool looking. And you can't beat the price for a high quality sig item that can be tracked!

We're not trading them... ...yet, but do hope some lucky cachers will begin finding them in more and more caches!

Too bad we'll probably never have a chance to get one of your neat pathtags as we aren't from Florida...bummer.

Hey...maybe someone from the area can get us one and send it to Colorado? :lol:

Edited by Tank Hounds

Just for some history, the concept known as Pathtags outside of Groundspeak was something mentioned by myself during a discussion about the friend functionality of the site some time ago. We're still planning to provide a "collectibles" functionality on Geocaching.com sometime soon that is eerily similar to Pathtags. These tags will of course be collectible via Geocaching.com proper. It probably won't affect the current pathtag fans but I wanted to make everyone aware of this.

Since they won't be trackable from cache to cache the cost will be similar as Pathtags. We'll also allow geocoin owners the ability to designate their coins as collectible or trackable or both. This will help folks who find the coin understand whether or not they can keep it.

Additionally we realize that many people have large collections of coins and bugs. The coins and bugs you choose to keep and not move will be able to be moved to your collected list. This allows you to keep separate buckets for those coins and bugs you don't really plan to move about.

I just placed my Pathtags order. The reason I chose these vs a coin is mainly the price. I'm not into trading items. I'd rather use these as a sig. item that people will enjoy finding and keeping if they like. Also a lot of people talk about how geocoins are trackable. From what I've see they are only trackable for a couple of hops before they go missing. So 'tracking' really isn't important to me.

I'm looking forward to receiving my tags and will share a pic. when they show up.

I just placed my Pathtags order. The reason I chose these vs a coin is mainly the price. I'm not into trading items. I'd rather use these as a sig. item that people will enjoy finding and keeping if they like. Also a lot of people talk about how geocoins are trackable. From what I've see they are only trackable for a couple of hops before they go missing. So 'tracking' really isn't important to me.

I'm looking forward to receiving my tags and will share a pic. when they show up.

I'm not a "collector" either in the sense that I want all the tags I can get and how you plan to use your tags is, essentially, how I use mine. I drop them in caches I like and I trade with folks that I have had some personal and/or caching relationship with.

Just for some history, the concept known as Pathtags outside of Groundspeak was something mentioned by myself during a discussion about the friend functionality of the site some time ago. We're still planning to provide a "collectibles" functionality on Geocaching.com sometime soon that is eerily similar to Pathtags. These tags will of course be collectible via Geocaching.com proper. It probably won't affect the current pathtag fans but I wanted to make everyone aware of this.

Since they won't be trackable from cache to cache the cost will be similar as Pathtags. We'll also allow geocoin owners the ability to designate their coins as collectible or trackable or both. This will help folks who find the coin understand whether or not they can keep it.

Additionally we realize that many people have large collections of coins and bugs. The coins and bugs you choose to keep and not move will be able to be moved to your collected list. This allows you to keep separate buckets for those coins and bugs you don't really plan to move about.

This sounds like a pretty cool feature, Jeremy! Lookin' forward to seeing it. Thanks!

Does anyone have a pic of a pathtag beside a quarter? I have a similar tag that is great quality and it is about 1 1/8" wide. (not a pathtag though. I have yet to see one.) Thanks!

Send me you snail mail and I'll send you one of my pathtags to get your collection started:)