A Sport or not a Sport

but to insist that every path be made universally accessible is just silly.

Nobody ever said that. It's ludicrous to think that. Nor is that the intent of the ADA.

Also, big difference between limiting access to the handicapped and all people being limited in their abilities. I'm talking about no wheelchair ramp at a restaurant, or some such similar issue. Not about every path in a state park wide enough to accomodate someone in an iron lung...and so were you, in your earlier comment. That's all.

I've often wondered myself what is the best way to describe geocaching to someone who's never heard of it. If you tell someone its a sport, it might turn off non-sporty types (of which I am one). If you call it a hobby, it sounds like a personal activity you do as an individual. Saying its a game might make it sound more interesting. But...if you say its a treasure hunt, that sounds much more exciting and intriguing. I mean, who wouldn't want to go on a treasure hunt?!

Sport-game-hobby....Sporgahob?

Most certainly NOT a sport. Game, maybe...hobby, yes. Sport...no stinkin way.

Biggest reason? Who determines who is the winner? There is no winner.

Since when does a sport require a winner and a loser? I'm a skier. Skiing is most certainly a sport, but unless I'm racing there is no winner or loser. Mountain climbing, surfing, kayaking, water skiing and hang gliding are all considered sports and there are no winners or losers.

Yet there are winners and losers at checkers. Does that make it a sport?

But seriously, why does it matter if it's a sport or not? Does it lose legitimacy as an activity if it's a hobby and not a sport?

Actually it does to an extent. Game has a frivolous connotation to it that anti-geocachers like to latch onto. When the SC legislature was considering the bill regulating geocaching, the proponents of the bill harped on the term game. "We don't want people playing games in our cemeteries" was their battle cry. You didn't hear them going after photographers, or geneologists saying "We don't want people pursuing their hobbies in our cemeteries". It was the idea of playing games that whipped them up.

but to insist that every path be made universally accessible is just silly.

Nobody ever said that. It's ludicrous to think that. Nor is that the intent of the ADA.

Also, big difference between limiting access to the handicapped and all people being limited in their abilities. I'm talking about no wheelchair ramp at a restaurant, or some such similar issue. Not about every path in a state park wide enough to accomodate someone in an iron lung...and so were you, in your earlier comment. That's all.

i think this means we're in agreement. am i out to lunch?

people who believe that every event and activity must be handicapped-accessible? not stupid, but wrong.

Ummm...I was with you until this (stupid?) thought.

Care to share which ones they should be banned access from??!?!? I can't think of any, maybe you can point out a few.

Sheesh....!

Not creating access is different than banning access. But it looks like you and flask both see this from different angles.

That's quite a bit different than not being allowed to participate due to no accessibility. Everything possible should be done so that handicapped individuals can participate, IF THEY SO CHOOSE. Personally, I can't think of a single activity that they CAN'T, or don't, participate in. Can you?

Well if you take all of the possible activities a human being is capable of doing, and the various types of handicaps that can inflict a person, there will always be a match of some sort. Activities and handicaps are very broad, and different, what one person can not do, another could do very well. So, yes, any activity is possible. But you will not find an armless man doing an activity that soley relys on hands, or a blind guy in a racing event, however a blind guy could be doing the activity requiring the hands, and the handless guy could be in a racing event! (Aformentioned handicaps have no significant reason for their use in this context, just the first things that came to mind -- Just have to put in my disclosure, so I don't offend any armless or blind fellows :rolleyes: )

Blind! He said Blind!

According to the link posted above they are "The Eyesight Handicapped"!

As a one-legged cacher I don't want anyone catering to my needs. Put your geocaches where you like and if I can get them I will, if not, no worries. Handicapped, disabled, crippled, a gimp - they all mean the same thing and none are offensive in and of themselves. Personally I prefer gimp, might as well have some fun with it, it isn't going away!

Hosting your event in a wheelchair accessible place is cool and I appreciate it, but it's certainly not an expectation. Mentioning on the event page that it's not accessible so there are no surprises IS a nice thing.

On the other hand I don't enter foot races, no matter how flat the track!

I suspect that most of the folks worried about disability, handicap access and political sensitivity, are not.

Mountain climbing: not a sport.

Surfing, kayaking, water skiing, and hang gliding CAN be sports when folks are competing. But, how many people compete in these relative to the number of people who just participate in them as hobbies? For the way most people participate, the above activities are hobbies, not sports.

I hike and I mountain bike. Neither one is a sport the way I practice it, whereas if I raced my mountain bike, I would be participating in a sport. I just ride my bike in the woods for fitness and general enjoyment.

I also occasionally play soccer. When I play a match, that's a sport. When I kick the ball around in my backyard, I'm not playing a sport, I'm just kicking a ball in the yard.

A sport is an organized competition with clear winners and losers. There's some crossover with the term game, but games are often much more loosely organized and can have no clear end or winner. Hide-and-seek is a game that you could theoretically play without any end or winner. It's not a sport.

Catch my drift?

Actually it does to an extent. Game has a frivolous connotation to it that anti-geocachers like to latch onto. When the SC legislature was considering the bill regulating geocaching, the proponents of the bill harped on the term game. "We don't want people playing games in our cemeteries" was their battle cry.

So "We don't want people playing sports in our cemeteries" would have been easier to deal with?

Not to burst any bubbles, well OK maybe some need to be burst, this is a frivolous game. Heck, we brag about it on t-shirts and bumper stickers that talk about billion dollar sats being used to find $1.98 tupperware. When you couch it like the statement above, you make it sound like a bad thing.

We have a right to be frivolous. Be proud we recognize that. SC was the result of simple minded, short sighted, over power indulgent Luddite politicians and an exception, not an example.

Of course, you don't find automotive products in a sporting goods store even though auto racing is a sport.

You must not have "G.I. Joe" stores in your part of the country ... a "big box" sporting goods store with a fair sized automotive section.

I looked that store up. It's only in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. The website only shows "automotive accessories." I doubt any of it is stuff like oil, filters, plugs, and the like.

i never call it an activity. breathing is an activity.

The only word I actually rely on is activity. :sad:

When people ask I always say "geocaching is a recreational activty".

I lean on certain words when describing geocaching: outdoors, GPS.

I definitely avoid other words: game, treasure.

The content of my answer really depends upon who is asking and why they are asking.

I never describe geocaching as a sport but often mention the competitive nature of hiding and seeking.

I often mention the challenges but the challenges described always depend upon the cache.

I might mention getting permission for a difficult CITO or I might talk about a challenging hide or hike, it depends upon the listener. I always want to get people to try geocaching.

I tell a few people who seem interested that geocaching is really a lifestyle.

I try to explain that being an active geocacher is life affirming and life changing.

The word sport doesn't work for me, it's too small to encompass geocaching.

Actually it does to an extent. Game has a frivolous connotation to it that anti-geocachers like to latch onto. When the SC legislature was considering the bill regulating geocaching, the proponents of the bill harped on the term game. "We don't want people playing games in our cemeteries" was their battle cry.

So "We don't want people playing sports in our cemeteries" would have been easier to deal with?

Not to burst any bubbles, well OK maybe some need to be burst, this is a frivolous game. Heck, we brag about it on t-shirts and bumper stickers that talk about billion dollar sats being used to find $1.98 tupperware. When you couch it like the statement above, you make it sound like a bad thing.

We have a right to be frivolous. Be proud we recognize that. SC was the result of simple minded, short sighted, over power indulgent Luddite politicians and an exception, not an example.

Geocaching may be frivolous to you (I don't consider exploring the world around me, getting exercise, learning things and making new friends to be frivolous and to me geocaching is a vehicle for that). I guess technically any activity can be considered frivolous whether its golf, bicycling, orienteering, or mountain climbing.

The difference is that sport has a somewhat more serious connotation to it than game. We hear it all the time. "Get your kids involved in sports", "Sports build character", "Sports are good for you". My town just spent 1.5 million dollars for new soccer and baseball fields. It was considered money well spent by most. Try to get that kind of money for a facility where people go just to "play games".

The thing is that "sports" are as American as apple pie and the NC (and any other) legislators would not be so quick to attack apple pie (unless it has trans fats in it).

Technically the term sport and game are largely interchangable. I go to baseball and football games, but baseball and football are sports. Yet the image of a sport is quite different from the image of a game. You see that in this thread. My point is that you have to be careful how you frame things. Frame geocaching as a game and it makes it more difficult to get buy in from the powers that be. Let them frame it as a game and it makes it easier for them to ban or regulate it.

A sport is an organized competition with clear winners and losers. There's some crossover with the term game, but games are often much more loosely organized and can have no clear end or winner. Hide-and-seek is a game that you could theoretically play without any end or winner. It's not a sport.

Catch my drift?

That is your definition. It is not the dictionary's. Look it up.

Edited by briansnat

OK Heres a question then! when certen groups hold events and there are prizes for the team that logs the most caches in a given time, or when jeep and geocaching.com did a joint venture (The Challenge officially started on August 1st, 2006. After that date, when you found a green 2006 Jeep Rescue Concept Travel Bug you had the opportunity to sign up for the 2006 Jeep 4x4 Geocaching Challenge. Each month, this site provided a goal for the green Jeep Travel Bugs. You could enter the challenge by completing the goal each month - by taking a photo with the 2006 green Jeep Travel Bug and the goal in the same photo. (If you did not find a Travel Bug in a registered cache, there were other options on the contest page.) Each month, we awarded a new Garmin GPSMAP 60CX GPS unit to the first prize contest winner. ) does this mean that it would now,IN THESE CONTEX, be conciderd a sport, becouse of a clear winner and loosers? GENEGENE

today i was on a chairlift (is skiing a sport?) with a woman who said something about not knowing what to call geocaching.

nevermind what a shock it was to my system to hear a total stranger start talking about it.

anyway, she was having trouble putting it into a category.

i have no such trouble; i put it into differing categories depending on my mood and the form my geocaching day is taking. some days it's an endurance sport. some days it's a race. a road rally. a long hike. a ski or snowshoe expedition. some days it's just a game. or even theater. an educational activity.

the beauty of it is that you can play it pretty much however you want. my dad plays obsessively. he is a FTF hound. my mom goes to about two caches a year. she likes to look at the trinkets. she likes to leave nice things: silver chimes, carved figurines, good jewelry. i think she loves to imagine how pleased the next finder will be.

when my dad does it, it's a sport. when my mom does it, it's almost not even a game.

Geocaching really isn't about losing or winning, the prize is being a geocacher.

If you are an active geocacher you will be finding, hiding, organizing, volunteering, donating, writing, photographing, imagining, meeting and getting involved with the world and other people in way that few activities can match and there is no way to keep score.

There is nothing wrong with numbers but they really don't mean anything. Profiles and the number of finds or hides or TB's moved are simply a reflection of your lifestyle, your location and the time you spend geocaching. Once you are an active geocacher and you stay active then all the numbers become entirely meaningless except as landmarks on your own journey through the GEOworld.

Geocaching is more like a religion than a sport, at least to me but I try not to let people see that. :sad:

Even in the context of winners and losers it isn't a sport; the winners are the ones who embrace geocaching and let it infiltrate their lives, the losers are the ones who set out to impress others by finding tupperware hidden in the woods. You can't post a meaningful score in this activity but you can make meaningful progress in many areas of life by becoming a geocacher.

I think sport is just too small a word but it is infinitely preferable to the word game. I sometimes use the word treasure to refer to other people involved and the life skills you acquire as a geocacher, not to any item found in a cache.

I will stick to "recreational activity"and describe geocachers as "enthusiasts". Geocaching is the power of positive thinking brought to life as a recreational activity. (with all due respect to Norman Vincent Peale).

Now it can be laid to rest.

Geocaching is now considered a SPORT.... This is not my word, this is the word from Geocaching.com....

While looking around I found in the " Getting Started with Geocaching" Link, that it says this:

"Everything you would like to know about the Geocaching sport."

Of course nowhere in the description does it classify it as a sport. So somewhere along the line I guess someone decided to omit that part in the description of Geocaching :blink:

This site has asserted our hobby was a "sport" since nearly the beginning. Marketing hype aside, our pastime is a hobby to me and to a bunch of folks. Not only that, but like "stash," "sport" and "game" have negative connotations that is hard to defend against those who wish to present our hobby in a negative light.

I usually say "hobby". Almost everyone has at least one hobby, and lots of them are well-respected even by people who don't participate. Hobby implies thinking along the line of woodworking, golf, fly-fishing, weekend racing, remote control vehicles, hunting, etc. "Game" tends to imply frivolity and "Sport" tends to imply competition and strict rules.

What's harder is going beyond "hobby" and explaining exactly what is involved in simple terms that the lay person can understand. It's not a scavenger hunt, it's definitely not a treasure hunt. I usually say something like "Someone hides something somewhere in the world, posts the GPS coordinates on a web site, and challenges other people to go find it. They have to find it using a GPS receiver and any hints provided by the hider. Once found, they sign a log book or do something similar to prove they were there, then leave it for the next person." The response I get is usually along the lines of "So it's like a scavenger (or treasure) hunt."

Slightly different topic, and going back several posts, the local Federal Cemetery here in Chattanooga, TN, has banned ALL recreational activities on the cemetery grounds. This includes, according to the posted signs, jogging, picnicking, etc. There are two grandfathered Virtual caches on the grounds and I’ve claimed two different Terracache Locationless caches there.

Edited by J-Way

I always go with 'activity'.

I think that is the perfect description. Or as somebody earlier on called it, a "recreational activity". The only time that I really care, however, is when I'm trying to describe it to somebody that isn't aware of it.

I never liked using the word "sport" because, although I'm a fisherman, I am aware that the word immediately conjures up thoughts of athletics in the minds of many people, and that, of course, gives totally the wrong perception.

I never liked "hobby" because most hobbies are a personal thing, and most listeners immediately drop to a less intensive level of listening once they hear that word. Everything after the word "hobby" becomes "blah blah blah blah" to them.

I detest terms like "treasure hunt" (both digging and items of value are implied) and especially "scavenger hunt" (it isn't even remotely similar to a scavenger hunt!). If you're going to insist on including the word "hunt", then at least say that its like an easter-egg hunt.

But simply saying "Its an activity that is done using a GPS receiver to find concealed containers" is clear, simple, to the point, and accurate to within at least 20 feet.

Well I am a bit of a newbie but I guess I can have an opinion. I think of it as a hobby. I will NEVER do anything if it is to be competitive. To me that takes much of the fun out of an activity. I also metal detect and stay away from those competitions too. It seems to sorta ruin it for me.

I am retired and have a lot of time to chase these things and am enjoying it. I think in most hobbies egos get wrapped up in it and that is when I just go my own way. I don't feel I have to prove I am the best at anything to enjoy it and am sorta put off by those that do. That is just me though.

To call this a sport is a bit of a stretch though in my view.

Just my opinion. :)

I call it a sport because according to the dictionary it is one.

Yeah, you said that. That is fine but you were asking for our opinion and I gave mine. I sure the heck don't feel like an athlete, following a GPS to a cashe. I don't think it makes any difference what we call it. I scuba dive, kayak, metal detect, fish, hike, etc but they are all just hobbies to me. I do most of them alone and that works for me

I scuba dive, kayak, metal detect, fish, hike, etc but they are all just hobbies to me. I do most of them alone and that works for me

Yes, they're all fine recreational activities.

By the way, you don't happen to write famous novels, do you? :)

Novel??? You got me there. No but why would you ask? Am I missing something?

Oh the Hemingway thing :) I got it now.

Edited by Royalott

I looked that store up. It's only in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. The website only shows "automotive accessories." I doubt any of it is stuff like oil, filters, plugs, and the like.

The ones I've gone to sell oil, filters, plugs, and remanufactured engines, and just about everything else you would get in an auto parts store.

Edited by uxorious

Yeah, you said that. That is fine but you were asking for our opinion and I gave mine. I sure the heck don't feel like an athlete, following a GPS to a cashe. I don't think it makes any difference what we call it. I scuba dive, kayak, metal detect, fish, hike, etc but they are all just hobbies to me. I do most of them alone and that works for me

That is a common misconception. You don't need to be an athlete to participate in a sport. There is no requirement for competetion at all. I used to watch American Sportsman on TV

and don't recall seeing a lot of athletes on it (other than Ted Williams).

I buy most of my geocaching equipment sporting goods stores. Even GPS units are sold in the sportiing goods section of major department stores, not in the electronics section.

Marketing hype aside, our pastime is a hobby to me and to a bunch of folks. Not only that, but like "stash," "sport" and "game" have negative connotations that is hard to defend against those who wish to present our hobby in a negative light.

I definitely abhor the term game because I agree it can be damaging. Sport however I think carries with it a connotation of a somewhat more serious pursuit. We Americans love our sports. Need half a million bucks for that new high school football field? Fine! Need a half a million bucks to wire the high school classrooms for computers and buy books? We need to watch our spending.

Sport however I think carries with it a connotation of a somewhat more serious pursuit.

I find it hard to argue against calling it "sport" in the realm of sport vs competitive vs "work."

If we look at fishing, for example, there are at least three different versions or reasons to do it. Competitive fishing, sport fishing, and fishing to put food on the table. That last one is not in any way a hobby or a pastime, it's serious business of providing for your family and yourself. Regardless of which type of fishing you do the gear to do it is in the sporting goods section. I can't see putting geocaching in the realm of putting food on the table, so in a sense what a lot of us do is sport. But, just like fishing can't be called any one type of activity because different folks do it for different reasons, one can't pigeon-hole geocaching the same way. This is the reason I don't like to call it a sport, even though for some it clearly is.

This is the same for a lot of categories of the Olympics. There is competitive walking, but is walking a sport? I don't consider what I have to do when I drag my butt from the bed to the kitchen for my morning coffee a sport. So, I don't call an activity that I can turn into a sport a "sport," it is still an activity.

Additionally, an element of geocaching is the sightseeing that good geocaches provide. A lot of folks comment on locations they would have never seen if it weren't for geocaching. Some geocaches are placed primarily to get folks to see these spots. Few sports--not any I can think of off the top of my head--provide this element. I certainly wouldn't call sightseeing a sport even though it is a form of recreation.

Now, that is not to say that geocaching is not some form of "sport treasure hunting" or some such. While this may seem confusing or contradictory, the term "sport" is further defining a large activity. Concerning treasure hunting, we're not really treasure hunting in a traditional sense as we are creating an artificial situation and each seeker, by design, leaves the treasure chest for the next person. Additionally, the treasure is not always the point of every geocache.

I think the reason there is so much difference of opinion on this issue is because geocaching has one foot in a simple pastime and the other in a form of sport. Could be it is both and neither. Depending.

That is a common misconception. You don't need to be an athlete to participate in a sport. There is no requirement for competetion at all. I used to watch American Sportsman on TV

and don't recall seeing a lot of athletes on it (other than Ted Williams).

I buy most of my geocaching equipment sporting goods stores. Even GPS units are sold in the sportiing goods section of major department stores, not in the electronics section.

Marketing hype aside, our pastime is a hobby to me and to a bunch of folks. Not only that, but like "stash," "sport" and "game" have negative connotations that is hard to defend against those who wish to present our hobby in a negative light.
I definitely abhor the term game because I agree it can be damaging. Sport however I think carries with it a connotation of a somewhat more serious pursuit. We Americans love our sports. Need half a million bucks for that new high school football field? Fine! Need a half a million bucks to wire the high school classrooms for computers and buy books? We need to watch our spending.
Is this really the thread that you want to get all angsty about?

To me, it's not a sport. I prefer 'activity' and I have no problem with 'hobby' or 'game'.

A sport without a scoring system sounds like a game to me. :(

Why on earth do some people insist on this? Let me ask you outright... is fishing a sport? Hunting? The sporting goods stores certainly think so. Sports Afield magazine certainly thinks so. Fishing and hunting guides call their customers "sports". (curious that hunters call the animal they're hunting "game", though LOL)

That said, I still find "activity" the best word to use.

A sport without a scoring system sounds like a game to me. :(

Why on earth do some people insist on this? Let me ask you outright... is fishing a sport? Hunting? The sporting goods stores certainly think so. Sports Afield magazine certainly thinks so. Fishing and hunting guides call their customers "sports". (curious that hunters call the animal they're hunting "game", though LOL)

Let me introduce you to the concepts of 'inches' and 'points'.

A sport without a scoring system sounds like a game to me. :laughing:

Let me introduce you to the concepts of 'inches' and 'points'.

That's a good point.

And, really, as briansnat stated...the bottom line is it fits the definition. And, I believe, if you look up the dictionary definition you'll find the competition and scoring aren't pre-requisites to define something as a sport.

In fact, I'll look it up and just post it:

Main Entry: sport

Function: noun

Date: 15th century

1 a: a source of diversion : recreation b: sexual play c (1): physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2): a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

2 a: pleasantry, jest b: often mean-spirited jesting : mockery, derision

3 a: something tossed or driven about in or as if in play b: laughingstock

4 a: sportsman b: a person considered with respect to living up to the ideals of sportsmanship <a good sport> <a poor sport> c: a companionable person

5: an individual exhibiting a sudden deviation from type beyond the normal limits of individual variation usually as a result of mutation especially of somatic tissue

synonyms see fun

/shrug

Doesn't really matter anyway. :( I bolded the key element.

We don't consider it a sport here. We have a houseful of people involved in sports and the two just don't equate.

To me a sport involves rigorous physical training and competition. Up at 4:30 to get a couple of pool/court/field hours in before school, and back to the pool/court/field after school. Otherwise it's sure seems like more of a hobby, or maybe just something I like to do for fun and/or exercise. Now, mind you, even if I were playing basketball on a team at the Y, I would probably still quantify it as a hobby/game, and not a sport. It's not something I train for. It's something I do for fun, and it keeps me in shape.

I like 'activity'. I like 'geocaching'. Often times I explain it for what it is - a tech based search where someone has placed an item... internet... coords... gps...

And on from there. It's easy enough to explain without using the words 'game', 'hobby', 'sport'.

OTOH, if someone wants to call it a sport, and it gets them up off their bum away from their potato chips and reality shows, more power to ya. It may be the most 'sporting' thing that most people do.

I'll be sticking with not-a-sport.

michelle

I can respect that, Michelle. Personally, I lettered in 5 sports in high school and played college ball, so I can absolutely relate to your viewpoint.

I think ultimately it's just one of the moot points to argue because there is strict definition and there is perception...and there is much to be said about perception.

If you really want to get me going on "sport" and "definition" just start in about Parkour. :(

To the OP: It is a sport, it is a hobby, it is both, it is neither. It is what YOU want it to be. Ah, blessed Liberty!

American Heritage Dictionary HOBBY (hŏb'ē)

n. pl. hob·bies

An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.

American Heritage Dictionary - SPORT (spôrt, spōrt)

n.

- Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

- An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

- An active pastime; recreation.

See, both describe geocaching fairly well.

Perhaps we should adopt a new term (just as we did with "muggles," "swag") such as "spobby" or "hort." It would make no difference to someone not in the know about geocaching anyhow.

If asked by someone with no previous introduction to geocaching, then "I engage in the (sport, hobby) of geocaching where I use GPS technology to find a cache" provides no more clarification than "I engage in the (spobby/hort) of geocaching where I use GPS technology to find a cache."

Geocaching is now considered a SPORT.... This is not my word, this is the word from Geocaching.com....

While looking around I found in the " Getting Started with Geocaching" Link, that it says this:

"Everything you would like to know about the Geocaching sport."

Of course nowhere in the description does it classify it as a sport. So somewhere along the line I guess someone decided to omit that part in the description of Geocaching :(

You have got to be kidding. That settles nothing. Hogwash!

Indeed, that is what is says with the link. Then, when you click on the link, you get "What is Geocaching? Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users."

AH! Perhaps now we have "Spabby", or "Gabbort."

:laughing:

Methinks we should just stick with "geocaching."