A Sport or not a Sport

Definition: Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Used by itself, sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors. from, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

Does this mean that we can now classify Geocaching as a sport and not a game? Lets take a look shall we?

1: an activity that is governed by a set of rules

Yes: we have rules that tell us where and how to place caches

2: or customs and often engaged in competitively

Yes: we have geocaching edicuit and there are teams that chalange each other

3: Used by itself, sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing),

Yes: we challange our selfs or others to find caches that are placed in hidden location all over the world, and our physical limitations are the only limitations that we have in order to reach our goal of winning the prize; the fealing of pride that you get.

4: but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.

Yes: Mind, you need the mental prowless of a detective to find a cache sometimes. Moter sport, have to drive to the location ( as close as you can ) and in one piece. Equipment quality, some say that the more pricer your G.P.S. is the better off you are, and others will dissagre! my personal oppion is ( you get what you pay for ) but what ever you chose is right! it's up to you. In the deap woods with heavy cover an external antena might be the best bet, and in open ares an internal antena will surfice just fine.

In my nonexpert opion I do belive that Geocaching is a SPORT, played by a lot of people with very little (if any) coverage on T.V. and scatterd magizine and newspaper stories. Is this bad? I dont think so. I feal like im apart of a secret orginazation that operates in the shadows, of all the goings on in the world. Where other like minded Men, Women, and Children, can share personal thoughts and locations, with others that might enjoy what the cache might show about that peticular location. So what are your thoughts about ( A SPORT OR NOT A SPORT ) Please Share !!! GENEGENE

I guess I think of it more as a game, like hide and seek. Or a hobby. :huh:

I think in my mind it's largely due to the variability and informality of geocaching. Most sports I know of, you play in a specific way. Geocaching, apart from using a GPS to find it and having a container with a log, varies greatly in the details and how caches are hidden and saught for.

Edited by wandererrob

A sport would need to have an accepted method of scoring and a method of comparing performances. At present each cache is worth the same number of points irrespective of the physical/mental effort required to find it. 100 walmart micros are worth the same as 100 long distance hikes or fiendish puzzles. There is no agreement as to whether logging an event multiple times or logging your own finds or logging each stage of a multi as a separate find are acceptable. Without commenting on the rights or wrongs of any of that stuff, without an agreed method of scoring it's not possible to make a fair comparison, so we don't even have the basis of a sport, we have a game.

From Merriam Webster

Main Entry: Sport

Function: noun

1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure

From Dictionary.com

Sport /spɔrt, spoʊrt/

1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

2. a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.

3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

From Encarta:

Sport

noun (plural sports)

Definition:

1. competitive physical activity: an individual or group competitive activity involving physical exertion or skill, governed by rules, and sometimes engaged in professionally ( often used in the plural )

2. pastime: an active pastime participated in for pleasure or exercise

Sounds like a sport to me.

It's at least as much a sport as skiing, fishing, hiking, orienteering, mountain biking, etc...

Also, when I go to go to buy equipment for geocaching, I go to the sporting goods department. I don't find it alongside the Parcheesi boxes.

it's a sport if you want it to be.

i usually refer to it as a sport when i'm talking of the more demanding aspects

it's a game if i'm looking for it to sound harmless and quiet

it's a hobby if i'm trying to explain what i intend to do to that ammo can

i never call it an activity. breathing is an activity.

in a nearly parallel situation, as far as i'm concerned, bicycling is only a sport if i put my uniform on.

It's not a game. That's a bad description for a lot of reasons.

Please explain. I'd be interested to hear your rationale on this.

If I could figure out the right keywords I'd point you to another debate on this that covered it fairly well.

Long story short. Game sets up perceptions that harm geoaching in the minds of the people who have the authority to ban it. In South Carolina when the legislature drafted legislation to ban/restrict geocaching one of the roadblocks was false perceptions about what geocaching was. "It's that internet game played by goofballs". I think they were suprised to find that instead of game playing goofbals they found real people who enjoy seeing the world and getting out of the house and who enjoy this wonderful activity. However the perception had already done a lot of harm to caching before anyone showed up to defend it. When cachers did...they had a lot of work just to fight the perception before they could even tackle the issues being discussed.

It seems simple thing, but it's important.

Long story short. Game sets up perceptions that harm geoaching in the minds of the people who have the authority to ban it... It seems simple thing, but it's important.

And there you have it! It's a game but it's not politically correct to call it a game!

Can anyone really make that argument with a straight face?

Oh no, Mr. Landowner, it's not a game at all, sir! Wink Wink Nudge Nudge :(

The Geocaching FAQ calls it a game

What is Geocaching?

Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users.

Of course, it's called geocaching instead of something else in order not to set up perceptions that harm geocaching in the minds of people who have the authority to ban it :(

Are there any other names for Geocaching?

The GPS Stash Hunt, Global Positioning Stash hunt is interchangable. Geocaching has become the standard for the game, however.

Edited by tozainamboku

Last time I checked, sports ARE games :( I have yet to see any single sport that was not a game. And to call any game a sport, would mean that it can be played competatively. So if you just like going out to the park on Saturday, and finding a cache or two on the weekends by yourself or with your family, then by all means it is just a game, however if you see a new cache listed, at 3AM in the morning, and manage to get ready and out the door in 60 seconds to bag a FTF, then it is most definately a sport :(. So it is not a matter of WHAT geocaching is, it is a matter of what do you WANT it to be, and how do you prefer to play it? Quite simple really. Of course this is just my opinion :P.

Long story short. Game sets up perceptions that harm geoaching in the minds of the people who have the authority to ban it... It seems simple thing, but it's important.

And there you have it! It's a game but it's not politically correct to call it a game!

Can anyone really make that argument with a straight face?

Oh no, Mr. Landowner, it's not a game at all, sir! Wink Wink Nudge Nudge :)

It's ok to walk, talk, bike, drive, jog, take rubbings, visit, pray, look, relax, and cache (if it's not a game) in a graveyard. But don't be playing games. Nevermind that caching is walking and looking both allowed and normally encouraged. Perception is the reality.

Politically correct is why the ladies I work with can have a country Stud Muffin Calender but if I hung up the latest Sports Illistrated Swimsuit calender I'd be creating a harrasing work environment.

Politically correct is why the ladies I work with can have a country Stud Muffin Calender but if I hung up the latest Sports Illistrated Swimsuit calender I'd be creating a harrasing work environment.

I was going to comment on this, but the more I think about the original comment I was going to put, the more I think I shouldn't :)

According to this identification label, it is officially an..."Adventure Game".

ad-friendly1.jpg

But I am of the mind, that depending upon whom you are addressing....it IS what you wish it to be, at any given moment, according to it's usage and the particular service to the user. Whatever we call it, it should always be portrayed as harmless, environmentally beneficial (trash out), and an accepted and growing form of physical and cerebral exercise. And as it often incorporates other well known sports like 4 wheeling, climbing, hiking, rappeling and speolunking and diving, etc., a favorable view should be easily attainable. And as always, common sense and good judgement by it's participants speak well for it's value and longevity. It's popularity has already surpassed pig riding. :)

taming-the-beast.jpg

Also, when I go to go to buy equipment for geocaching, I go to the sporting goods department.

Camping is a sport? Working out is a sport?

I think a common thing about the stuff found in a sporting gods store or in the sporting goods section of a big box is it generally based round products that are used in activities that is typically pursued outdoors. Of course, you don't find automotive products in a sporting goods store even though auto racing is a sport.

Also, logic would dictate that if your equipment was found in a sporting goods store then it's a sport, besides the examples already mentioned then there would be plenty of other activities you would have to classify as a sport.

Sport could apply to caching. Should it? No. Why is poker considered a sport? Well, it is on Fox sport net. Why? Hmmmm, not sure, There is no physical involvement (unless you consider bluffing a phisical sport). Just one example that money can make anything a "sport". Fortunately for us, I don't think Garmin or Magellin has that much dough to back caching as a sport. And if it were to become a "sport", we would all rebel in disgust. We like it the way it is. A quirky little indulgance. But what is essential about caching is that fact that no one knows a lot about it. Take that away, then it takes the fun/sport out of it. In my humble opinion.

i don't think you really understand what "politically correct" is, really.

that said, the calendar thing isn't politically correct; it is a stupid stinking double standard. i don't believe that material of a suggestive or overtly sexual nature has any legitimate place in the workplace, but if the women can get away with it, so should the men. conversely, if the men have been prohibited from it, so should the women. and it ought to be legally actionable.

that said, the calendar thing isn't politically correct; it is a stupid stinking double standard. i don't believe that material of a suggestive or overtly sexual nature has any legitimate place in the workplace, but if the women can get away with it, so should the men. conversely, if the men have been prohibited from it, so should the women. and it ought to be legally actionable.

Um, please don't ban women of an overtly sexual nature... :)

Thank you,

A Wannabe Stud Muffin

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Whatever you decide to call it, we enjoy it.

Fishermen, and hunters are called "Sportsmen". Yes there are competetive fishing tournaments, but most fishermen dont participate in those. Hiking and bicycling are commonly referred to as sports. I go caching when I hike, when I bike, when I kayak, so it is definately a recreational activity.

My favorite and I think, the term that best describes it is like stated earlier RASH

R. ecreational A. ctivity S. port H. obby

Just have fun and enjoy it

My favorite and I think, the term that best describes it is like stated earlier RASH

R. ecreational A. ctivity S. port H. obby

Just have fun and enjoy it

AND be sure to spread it!

:)

So it's a Socially Transmittable Disease now.

This is getting confusing. Can I just call it "What I Like to Do?" :laughing:

...i don't think you really understand what "politically correct" is, really....

We have an opposite view of what it is. For the most part I think we would agree on “The right thing” at the big picture level. Though it’s clear we have different views on political correctness. I use it to describe stupid things that are touted as right. You seem to view it as the right thing and the stupid things are something else.

Most certainly NOT a sport. Game, maybe...hobby, yes. Sport...no stinkin way.

Biggest reason? Who determines who is the winner? There is no winner.

But seriously, why does it matter if it's a sport or not? Does it lose legitimacy as an activity if it's a hobby and not a sport?

Oh, and hiking is also not a sport. Nobody hikes competitively, although one might compete in a race on a trail, that's a race...not a hike.

...i don't think you really understand what "politically correct" is, really....

We have an opposite view of what it is. For the most part I think we would agree on “The right thing” at the big picture level. Though it’s clear we have different views on political correctness. I use it to describe stupid things that are touted as right. You seem to view it as the right thing and the stupid things are something else.

i'm going with the historical interpretation. politically correct did not originally refer to a thing that everyone likes. i acknowledge that politically correct is not necessarily the right thing. it should properly refer to terminology or methodology that has been deemed by a political movement to be the preferred language of that movement for whatever reason. sometimes the politically correct thing is the stupid thing.

i think it would be much better to label the stupid thing the stupid thing and the right thing the right thing.

this is where i digress farther into opinion:

people who remove "merry Christmas" from their lexicon? well-meaning, but stupid.

people who use "retarded" to describe anything they don't like? not stupid, but wrong. it's mean.

people who believe that every event and activity must be handicapped-accessible? not stupid, but wrong.

people who wish to provide opportunities for people with disabilities? right and admirable.

people who let use of unacceptable terms pass? weak.

there are inherent differences in the ways we approach the world. some jostling and argument go a long way toward hammering out the rough spots and creating a generally accepted ethic.

and if you'll permit me to get back on topic (surprise!)

there need not be a competition for a thing to be a sport. fly fishing comes to mind. and certainly people do play geocaching competitively. by the strict definition of a sport (provided above) almost any recreational activity qualifies.

and i once heard a nascar driver say "you think driving isn't a sport? put a fifteen pound weight in each hand and leave them outstretched for a couple of hours. then do it at 200 miles an hour." i'm not sure it's a convincing argument, but by the strict definitions...

yes, i know what george carlin had to say about it. i still say you can play it as a sport if you want.

people who believe that every event and activity must be handicapped-accessible? not stupid, but wrong.

Ummm...I was with you until this (stupid?) thought.

Care to share which ones they should be banned access from??!?!? I can't think of any, maybe you can point out a few.

Sheesh....!

I would like to see handicapped accessable mountain climbing events?

I tend to use whatever term fits my current fancy (In other words, semantics yet again? :()

but I prefer the term avocation to describe this geocaching activity of ours.

So what are advocating? ;):rolleyes:

How 'bout we call it....

That addictive highly contagious sometimes social outdoor activity the causes grown adults to wander around in the woods mumbling like lunatics all for a container they could buy at any department store full of stuff they can find in any dollar store.

Okay, here's one...

Ok, that is a bit different then the form of 'handicapped' I was thinking of... But realistically, there are a lot of things in this world that being handicapped will cause you to have to be excluded, it's not out of being mean, or judgemental, but out of realisticness and physical capacity. Sure, there are a few rare and extreme examples of people with some severe handicaps, overcoming them and doing things that where considered impossible, but that is not the norm. Personally, I think that handicapped accessability is a great thing, and should be incorperated when and wherever REALISTICALLY possible. Just my two cents!

But realistically, there are a lot of things in this world that being handicapped will cause you to have to be excluded, it's not out of being mean, or judgemental, but out of realisticness and physical capacity.

That's quite a bit different than not being allowed to participate due to no accessibility. Everything possible should be done so that handicapped individuals can participate, IF THEY SO CHOOSE. Personally, I can't think of a single activity that they CAN'T, or don't, participate in. Can you?

That's quite a bit different than not being allowed to participate due to no accessibility. Everything possible should be done so that handicapped individuals can participate, IF THEY SO CHOOSE. Personally, I can't think of a single activity that they CAN'T, or don't, participate in. Can you?

Well if you take all of the possible activities a human being is capable of doing, and the various types of handicaps that can inflict a person, there will always be a match of some sort. Activities and handicaps are very broad, and different, what one person can not do, another could do very well. So, yes, any activity is possible. But you will not find an armless man doing an activity that soley relys on hands, or a blind guy in a racing event, however a blind guy could be doing the activity requiring the hands, and the handless guy could be in a racing event! (Aformentioned handicaps have no significant reason for their use in this context, just the first things that came to mind -- Just have to put in my disclosure, so I don't offend any armless or blind fellows :rolleyes: )

Ummm...I was with you until this (stupid?) thought.

Care to share which ones they should be banned access from??!?!? I can't think of any, maybe you can point out a few.

Sheesh....!

nobody should be banned from anything.

simply not every event will be accessible to everyone. to be certain, some hardy souls will go up that mountain (and i have pushed a wheelchair on a mountain trail in the middle of a rainy night), but to insist that every path be made universally accessible is just silly.

there are plenty of things that are beyond my means and abilities. so it is with all of us.