Open call for Mac beta testers!

Hi,

For the last couple months, I've been writing a Mac application for managing Geocaches. I really wasn't happy with anything available for the Mac, and while I have a PC as well I didn't want to switch just to manage caches. That was the impetus for writing this application. I have added a number of unique features that I wanted to see in other apps, but just weren't there.

I've finally reached a point where I feel it's ready for beta testing by more than myself and another person. This isn't a public beta, so I am not prepared to release it en mass just yet, however, I am looking for 5-6 people to help me out with testing, finding bugs, and feedback on the app and features.

The basic requirements:

G4, G5, or Intel based Mac hardware (I would be interested if someone had a G3). I am definately looking for Intel based testers as I have G4 and G5 hardware only. The app is a Universal Binary, so it won't run through rosetta.

Mac OSX 10.3.XX or higher. I would like to have at least one 10.3 user to test the app for compatibility, as I only have 10.4 here to test on.

A GPSr unit, preferably a Garmin or other Serial based unit. I own a Magellan explorist 210 and my other tester has a 500, so I'm pretty sure my support for "USB Storage" based units works. I have not done any testing with serial based units yet, so I am particularly interested in that.

Installed version of Skype with headset recommended (for troubleshooting sessions). Adium will also work if you'd rather chat and troubleshoot.

Google Earth for Mac installed (To test features that I have that output to Google earth).

Geocaching.com Premium membership highly recommended.

If you are interested in helping to test this app, please contact me at:

curioustechnology@gmail.com

and cut+paste and answer the following in the email:

- Name, City (optional), State and Country.

- OSX version, version of Mac hardware.

- How long have you been a Mac user?

- GPS Make and Model. Do you use Serial or USB on your Mac?

- What current software, if any, are you using on your Mac/PC for geocache management?

- If you are currently using cache management software, how many geocaches are loaded into it?

- Do you cache paperless? If so, make and model of your PDA and what software do you use with it?

- Are you a Geocaching.com premium member?

- How many Geocache Finds do you currently have?

- How often do you go Geocaching?

Once I receive your email, I'll go over it and email you back. I may have some additional questions. Hopefully the limited beta won't last long, as I've been working hard at fixing all the obvious and major bugs.

Thanks in advance,

Rich/CT

Still need a few more testers. Are there no Mac geocachers out there? :laughing:

Here's a few of the more interesting features:

- Multiple selectable Locations (origins)

- Multiple Categories of caches.

- Integrated Google Map support

- Itinerary generation

- Cachemate support

- POP3 PQ import

Edited by Curious Technology

Hi,

For the last couple months, I've been writing a Mac application for managing Geocaches. I really wasn't happy with anything available for the Mac, and while I have a PC as well I didn't want to switch just to manage caches. That was the impetus for writing this application. I have added a number of unique features that I wanted to see in other apps, but just weren't there.

I've finally reached a point where I feel it's ready for beta testing by more than myself and another person. This isn't a public beta, so I am not prepared to release it en mass just yet, however, I am looking for 5-6 people to help me out with testing, finding bugs, and feedback on the app and features.

The basic requirements:

G4, G5, or Intel based Mac hardware (I would be interested if someone had a G3). I am definately looking for Intel based testers as I have G4 and G5 hardware only. The app is a Universal Binary, so it won't run through rosetta.

Mac OSX 10.3.XX or higher. I would like to have at least one 10.3 user to test the app for compatibility, as I only have 10.4 here to test on.

A GPSr unit, preferably a Garmin or other Serial based unit. I own a Magellan explorist 210 and my other tester has a 500, so I'm pretty sure my support for "USB Storage" based units works. I have not done any testing with serial based units yet, so I am particularly interested in that.

Installed version of Skype with headset recommended (for troubleshooting sessions). Adium will also work if you'd rather chat and troubleshoot.

Google Earth for Mac installed (To test features that I have that output to Google earth).

Geocaching.com Premium membership highly recommended.

If you are interested in helping to test this app, please contact me at:

curioustechnology@gmail.com

and cut+paste and answer the following in the email:

- Name, City (optional), State and Country.

- OSX version, version of Mac hardware.

- How long have you been a Mac user?

- GPS Make and Model. Do you use Serial or USB on your Mac?

- What current software, if any, are you using on your Mac/PC for geocache management?

- If you are currently using cache management software, how many geocaches are loaded into it?

- Do you cache paperless? If so, make and model of your PDA and what software do you use with it?

- Are you a Geocaching.com premium member?

- How many Geocache Finds do you currently have?

- How often do you go Geocaching?

Once I receive your email, I'll go over it and email you back. I may have some additional questions. Hopefully the limited beta won't last long, as I've been working hard at fixing all the obvious and major bugs.

Thanks in advance,

Rich/CT

Hi How is the the beta testing going?

Waz

Before I send you an email, please post here if you still need.

I have an Intel Mac Pro with 10.4.9, and a G3 powerbook with 10.2.8.

I use a Garmin eTrex Vista.

No skype, but am willing to try out software and email response.

Only 2 caches found so far, so I am very new to this.

Still need a few more testers. Are there no Mac geocachers out there? :ph34r:

Here's a few of the more interesting features:

- Multiple selectable Locations (origins)

- Multiple Categories of caches.

- Integrated Google Map support

- Itinerary generation

- Cachemate support

- POP3 PQ import

Just saw the post, please, please send me your application, I'll give it a shot.