finding Canadian Cemeteries in Belgium

abchan

This is my first posting so I hope I'm doing this the right way.

Our family is planning to come to Belgium in July to lay flowers on approx. 70 WW1 soldiers who came from our local area of Canada almost 90 years ago. Only problem is I only have 3 days and there are 25-30 cemeteries to visit, & by the looks of it, there are a lot of war cemeteries in Belgium (for good reason), and some of the smaller ones are not that easy to find. I also want to make it fun for my kids by using my gps to have them help me find them.

I set up a website to detail some of my information: http://abbotsfordremembrance.notlong.com

I'm looking to see if there are geocachers near Ieper and Arras who could find out the GPS location of a number of Commonwealth/Canadian Cemeteries in those areas, just enough to get me to the front entrance. Once I find the exact location of our soldiers, it will be added as a part of my virtual memorial to these soldiers. The GPS location will help others find our boys when they come to pay their respects, I guess you would call it a memorial geocache.

I hope there are some willing Belgians or ex-pats or other geocachers who could help me out.

you can email me at abchan@telus.net if you can help me.java script:emoticon(':huh:',%20'smid_3')

Dear abchan,

I posted a link to your message on the local Belgian forum.

DiKri

This is my first posting so I hope I'm doing this the right way.

Our family is planning to come to Belgium in July to lay flowers on approx. 70 WW1 soldiers who came from our local area of Canada almost 90 years ago. Only problem is I only have 3 days and there are 25-30 cemeteries to visit, & by the looks of it, there are a lot of war cemeteries in Belgium (for good reason), and some of the smaller ones are not that easy to find. I also want to make it fun for my kids by using my gps to have them help me find them.

I set up a website to detail some of my information: http://abbotsfordremembrance.notlong.com

I'm looking to see if there are geocachers near Ieper and Arras who could find out the GPS location of a number of Commonwealth/Canadian Cemeteries in those areas, just enough to get me to the front entrance. Once I find the exact location of our soldiers, it will be added as a part of my virtual memorial to these soldiers. The GPS location will help others find our boys when they come to pay their respects, I guess you would call it a memorial geocache.

I hope there are some willing Belgians or ex-pats or other geocachers who could help me out.

you can email me at abchan@telus.net if you can help me.java script:emoticon(':huh:',%20'smid_3')

Hello Abchan,

French Geocachers will be more than happy in helping you to locate WW1 Canadian Cemeteries and Memorials in France.

Could you list which places you would like to visit during your French trip ?

By this way, we'll be able to concentrate our research and to provide you GPS coordinates and French web site associated.

In exemple: Canadian National Vimy Memorial --> Parking coordinates N 50° 22.683 & E 002° 46.417

Gérard

PS: Are you speaking French ?

from Abchan:

Thanks to our geocaching friends in France & Belgium! I will be looking over the sites you sent to me and will match up coordinates to the cemeteries as I find them online. I will let you know again soon if I have trouble finding any. You are awesome!

abchan in LangleyBC Canada

Hello Abchan,

French Geocachers will be more than happy in helping you to locate WW1 Canadian Cemeteries and Memorials in France.

Could you list which places you would like to visit during your French trip ?

By this way, we'll be able to concentrate our research and to provide you GPS coordinates and French web site associated.

In exemple: Canadian National Vimy Memorial --> Parking coordinates N 50° 22.683 & E 002° 46.417

Gérard

PS: Are you speaking French ?

HI Gérard,

je ne parle pas du francais, but my 3 children all speak it well enough translate for me. Here is my listing of Canadian WW1 cemeteries in France: (thanks in advance to All for your help!)

ABChan in Canada

Boves West Communal Cmtry Ext France Amiens

Cdn Cmtry#2 France Arras

Sun Quarry Cmtry France Arras

Tigris Lane Cmtry France Arras

Villers Station Cmtry France Arras

Vimy Memorial France Arras

Vis-en-Artois British Cmtry France Arras

Lapugnoy Military Cmtry France Bethune

Etaples Military Cmtry France Boulogne

Les Baraques Military Cmtry France Calais

Bourlon Wood Cmtry France Cambrai