The Great Lord Simcoe 24 Hour Geocaching Marathon IV

Keith Watson

I am going to start posting who is driving and who is riding in what car. If you are driving and you are not on the officail site, can you ley me know an i will add your vehicle. COuld you also let me know how many seats are in your vehicle including the driver. We like to keep at least one seat open incase a vehicle breaks down and we have to transfer passengers. Secondly, if you are not driving, please lewt me know what vehicle you will be in.

We will be coming down on Friday evening from the Midland area. We will probably come down the 400 through Barrie to the 407, then East.

We have 7 seats, and 2 of us are currently coming down.

We will be staying at the Quality Suites hotel on Friday night. (I can get a rate of $107 including tax)

We will check out before meeting up at breakfast.

Need some help with the puzzles on the route. If you have any of the answers, let me know privately. Please do not post it here in the forum. It would be nice if I could get these ahead of time to finalize the routing.

GCZTZP, GC11V20, GC11V0Y, GC1249Z, GC12N4E

Can you let us know which puzzles you get answers to so we don't waste time :D

We have solved GC11TZ6 and if you don't have it, let me know and I'll PM it.

Need some help with the puzzles on the route. If you have any of the answers, let me know privately. Please do not post it here in the forum. It would be nice if I could get these ahead of time to finalize the routing.

GCZTZP, GC11V20, GC11V0Y, GC1249Z, GC12N4E

Can you let us know which puzzles you get answers to so we don't waste time :blink:

Ah, just noticed that Northern Penguin has all the above solved, except the last one.

So, we also have the solution for GC12N4E if nobody else has.

Just checking out the attributes for the event - it says no dogs. Is there a reason why?

The Golden Griddle will not allow dogs inside the restaurant. After the cache machine starts hitting the caches, it's not an issue.

WOO HOO - then we will see how geodog is feeling in the morning of the event.

Couple of new caches placed in the area as I did a query to load up the GPS. Any plans to ammend the trip to add these (especially for those that have done some on the route)?

Also - on the webpage do you have a route for this year's marathon? The google Earth route that currently loads for me is from last year in Kitchener/Waterloo.

Thanks,

flame

Couple of new caches placed in the area as I did a query to load up the GPS. Any plans to ammend the trip to add these (especially for those that have done some on the route)?

flame

I'm updating the bookmark list as Keith updates the route. This will probably be tweaked right up to Friday. The bookmark list was last updated at noon on Tuesday, with 3 new caches.

- northernpenguin

I'm thinking of joining for the first part of the event. I have too much going on to be able to commit for all 24 hours. I will probably come for breakfast and stay until sometime in the later afternoon or early evening.

Any room left in any of the cars? If I make it to the GO caching in Oshawa cache, then that's near the starting point. Otherwise, I will probably just take a cab back to my car. If there is no room, or if someone else is thinking of the same time frame, I'm happy to drive too.

Tim

The route has been updated. I have all the puzzle soultions, thanks to those that hepled, and they we be handed out on route.

My two cents worth is this for you change.

Move GCZTZP to after GCTJ3F

Move GC12N4E to after GCX5E4

Move GCV1R9 to after GC14VMY

Most natural progression without the extra driving....

Hope this helps

The 'Nox is full, but perhaps another driver can take you in their vehicle.

For those of you that are not attending the event, but want to keep up to date with our movements - Keith has provided this handy-dandy file for watching us in Google Earth:

http://www.gregorypleau.com/geocaching/track_the_24hour.kml

This will show our position, and the nearby geocaches. We will be monitoring FRS Channel 2 as well.

Here's my take on the route.

#2 GC10Z3G - you will not be able to do this one at 9am. The place will be packed with people and cars.

#28 GC14YZQ - should be removed out of respect. 30 people invading a cemetery at once?

#33 GC1249Z - Area too sensitive for that many people to wander in there.

#47 GCZ0NY - Again out of respect. Cemetery.

#66 GC1521K - Again out of respect. Cemetery.

First off, let me congradulate everyone that participated in the Marathon. Everybody had a fun time, and many of us pushed our limits farther than our typical norms. We had perfect weather, and a lot of fun mingling on the trails. I am happy to have met many familiar caching names for the first time.

Now the bad news.

It would appear that someone has a chip on their shoulder, or just dislikes geocachers. I have received numerous reports that geocaches in the Oshawa/Whitby area have been vandalised after the 24 Hour group went through. Naturally the owners are blaming the marathon and the organizers for this vandalism. I have had reports of caches that we hid better than we found laying open with the camo ripped off in the middle of the trail. Another cache was flung downstream from the hiding spot.

I would suggest the owners of caches along the 24 Hour route check your caches as soon as possible for possible vandalism.

A cache was placed at the end, and select individuals attacked the placement of the cache - presumably because of a beef with the owner. This cache has now been archived.

This is leading me to reconsider a night caching event I had planned for later this year, as I can only assume it will be vandalised or that the cachers will be targetted by this individual or group.

To the person(s) responsible for this: Thank you for destroying my fun at Geocaching. I don't know what I did to cross you, but your attack has hit home here. You know who you are.

I am the cacher who complained about the placement of the cache in the Seaton Trail Parking Lot.

For the record, I have no beef with the owner. Beyond, a brief introduction at Tony's funeral last year, I have never met Keith Watson. Nor have I exchanged emails with him beyond altering a log entry at his request for Micro Mania where I inadvertently posted a spoiler.

And further for the record, I am not involved in OGA or COG (beyond possessing a membership) and was unaware of Keith's apparent dispute with OGA until yesterday. I do not normally view the forum entries.

I complained about the Seaton Trail cache for one very simple reason. In my opinion, it posed a physical danger risk to cachers and perhaps the general public. The cache was nailed to the side of a tree, sixty feet up the tree. The tree had no limbs. The potential for someone to permanently injure themselves attempting this cache far outweighed any caching value this cache had and outweigh the "enjoyment" the placers had in putting it there.

And if someone is foolish enough to go up the tree to place the cache, sooner or later, someone will be foolish enough to try going up the tree to get the cache. Does anyone want to live with the thought of someone becoming a paraplegic trying to retrieve such a cache? If you think I am being melodramatic, read the logs for Bird's Eye View where someone broke an ankle retrieving a cache that is much easier to get to than this one.

I gave the owner an opportunity to do the honourable thing and archive the cache. His response was to delete my log. My email to the cache approver was replied with a comment that they do not pass judgment on cache risk (in my opinion, a flaw in gc.com's rules). Only after both of these actions, did I contact ORTA and advise them of the risk.

Here is the ironic part. I copied the cache approver on the ORTA email as a courtesy. In the email, I happen to mention that the cache was nailed to the tree. Unbeknownst to me, nailing a cache to a tree violates a gc.com rule. Only then did Cache Drone disable the cache and offer the cache owner the option of suspending the cache by some other methods. Instead the cache owner chose to attack me and ultimately archive the cache. In my opinion, a small price to pay to have this risk removed from the geocaching community.

ORTA has contacted me and advised that they will have their property management group remove the container from the tree.

I will not comment on the private email exchange between myself and the cache owner. Private emails are just that: private.

I was unaware of the vandalism that apparently took place at the other caches that were on the tour.

If I am to be vilified by the cache owner, or his friends, for standing up for a principle I believe in, so be it.

I know there will be people out there that disagree with my position on the danger of this cache and whether or not it should be allowed. That is their right.

Again for the record. I have no beef with Keith Watson. While I am a member of OGA, I have no hidden agenda with them. I do not participate in their forums, or their activities. I do attend the annual COG event and am a member of COG. I do not participate in their forums.

Edited by Tequila

Thanks to everyone who came out and had a great time. Reading the logs it looks like all had a great time, and nice to see so many turned out. Also nice to see people looking forward to next years. I agree it is sad that some tarnishing has taken place, but that is not new for this event. I hope that the damage to the caches was not beyond a simple repair. My apologies to the cache owners that something like this had to happen. The solution may be we keep the route secret next year to avoid any of these kind of problems.

Congratulations to all those that got milestones. Always enjoyable to share a special cache with someone.

And if someone is foolish enough to go up the tree to place the cache, sooner or later, someone will be foolish enough to try going up the tree to get the cache. Does anyone want to live with the thought of someone becoming a paraplegic trying to retrieve such a cache? If you think I am being melodramatic, read the logs for Bird's Eye View where someone broke an ankle retrieving a cache that is much easier to get to than this one.

Hey! That was 3 bones in a foot, not the ankle! :ph34r:

Seriously though, I do agree Tequila and applaud your concern and actions. My broken bones weren't planned, and I do have tree climbing experience. And what about the poor tree? I agree that the cache would be visited sparsely, but it only takes one person to debark a tree, even with proper climbing gear.

Regardless, congratulations to all the milestoners at this event. I'm sorry to hear that any vandalism occurred. That is just childish. Perhaps keeping the route secret is the best option as KeithWatson has mentioned. The event is unique and has it's merit! I would like to see it continue so that I can stop being so lazy and participate!! :blink:

Swifty

I was unaware of the vandalism that apparently took place at the other caches that were on the tour.

If I am to be vilified by the cache owner, or his friends, for standing up for a principle I believe in, so be it.

You will note that I did not mention your name in this thread (or anyone else's), as I do not intend to villify anyone. Besides, I don't know who followed us around at this point in time. When I mention group, I refer to the fact that more than one individual may have been involved - I'm not pointing to COG or OGA (I am a member of both organizations). That would be speculation to do so.

I am expressing my shock and anger that someone would actually take the effort to follow a group of cachers on the trail to make someone look bad. I am NOT going to stand there and take an accusation that I contributed to the destruction of up to 70 caches.

Whatever gripe you may have with another cacher is between the two of you. It is unfortunate that this would occur at the same moment that an attack occured towards the 24 Hour crew. You can understand how that would appear to anyone. You were not alone in your condemnation of the cache, and no - I will not name the other(s).

Debating the validity of a 5/5 cache is for another thread. You are entitled to your opinion, I am entitled to mine. Nobody is entitled to trash a bunch of geocaches if they have a beef with the people finding them.

Some stats for the event if you are interested.

Caches Found: 68

DNF’s: 4

Total Distance: 210 km

Driven: 174 km

Walked: 36 km

Satisfied Adventures: All that came out for the fun of it.

What were the 4 DNF's? Just curious. I think I know one.. :huh:

Ahh... those DNF's!

Your cache: Urban Sprawl - Grandview

Courtice Micro - you also confirmed that it was gone.

We Recycle-Iroquois - final stage was gone and

YEARS 2 - Jungle J confirmed that it's gone and has replaced it now.

So you have the distinction of having stumped everyone! :-)

I would like to say how much I enjoyed the 24 hr marathon. It was great meeting people. As new Whitby cacher I was disappointed to hear what happen to some of the caches. In fact it was mention in the log of the cache that I found that it was half out of it's hiding spot and the lid was not screwed on properly. I placed it back to where I found it and the lid was srewed on straight and tight. The damage occurred after we had all left. It is sad that people would even dare to think that the 24 hr marathon crew would not put the caches back properly.

It was a great bunch of people to send time with.

Edited by 1ragonfly