The Great Lord Simcoe 24 Hour Geocaching Marathon IV

Keith Watson

So far the dates tha won't work for me is july 6-15 (will be in Japan). after that I am open. and there is a ohio event on aug 25. I have aug open except for one weekend.

June is ok for me right now.

Looking forward to this years event. I try to show up in time this year.

Definitely some memories (positive and "other") from past events.

My photo albums which might give you a small glimpse of what happens at an event like this are at:

http://pbruch.dyndns.org/web2/2004_archive...thon/index.html

http://pbruch.dyndns.org/web2/2005_archive...hing/index.html

http://pbruch.dyndns.org/web2/2006_archive...hing/index.html

And above all, remember that "What happened in Coopers Falls, STAYS in Coopers Falls!" (24 hour - 2004 event, you just had to be there!)

--

Geocaching and other photos at: http://pbruch.dyndns.org/

I'd be interested in joining in. Especially if someone is driving out of or through the K-W area and would like a gas/coffee donation. Otherwise, I'd find my way to Oshawa, spend the night in a motel, and make my way either by cab or generous geocacher to the starting gate.

I won't commit to/cancel out any specific weekend though. Such is the nature of being a temp.

I guess I should have said something about the labyrinth-like qualities of that woodlot.

Grumble grumble grumble....

Let's remember back to that night.

10PM... looks like an easy hike to 3 caches... Round trip ~1.3Kms....

Then we hit the trails.

Excerpt from conversation that night...

"... look, we're already only 200M from the cache! Look, now we're 700M from the cache. Look now we're 210M from the cache. Now we're 900M from the cache. Weren't we down this way before? Now we're 200M from the cache again! How come it says 700M again!? Hey, the track log says were were on a trail only 10M from where we are now! ^&*^*& &%*()$ ^&*^* ^&*9(* (<-- repeated for next hour)

...we seem to be out of FRS range from everyone else... I hope they are still waiting! Hey we're 150M from the cache this time... must be getting close! Ooops, GPS Died anyone bring spare batteries? Hey!? Is that the Cache!?

Off to next cache... should be straight forward... Oops, flashlight died, did anyone else bring more spare batteries? ...(more time elapses)...

Final cache found! Hurray! Now How the HECK do we get out of here!???

We could try this trail? Might be shorter, or not... You guys go that way, we'll go this way :->

... hey, tracklog shows that there is a trail 20M over that we've already been on. Let's bushwhack!

Hey, tracklog shows yet another trail only 10M over that we've already been on... Let's bushwhack!

(repeat several more times as necessary)

.. Anyone got any batteries? Anyone?...

Hey, there are some lights over there... Look more hikers! It's our other lost group!"

Net result: 3 caches, 5-6KM's hiking and a few more ^&&*()'s than should have been uttered given the PG audience.

Tracklog at: http://pbruch.dyndns.org/web2/2006_archive...lot%20trail.jpg

I guess I should have said something about the labyrinth-like qualities of that woodlot.

Grumble grumble grumble....

Let's remember back to that night.

10PM... looks like an easy hike to 3 caches... Round trip ~1.3Kms....

Then we hit the trails.

You forgot to mention the nice kitty we ran into on the trails. It was kind of memorable. Pure black except for this big white stripe down the middle of its back...

Looks like Aug 18th is going to be the day. I will update the website and periodically update the event page as new caches are posted and the route is revised.

Looks like I'm going to have to miss the 24 hour marathon this year. I'm already booked that weekend for the MS bike tour.

Hi, I'd like to join you people for that event. I'll make sure I can get it off. I know Whiby and Oshawa pretty well (having grown up there), so this should be interesting. I'll have to stop caching there for now. What happens if we plan on caching a cache that one of us has already done?

Hi, I'd like to join you people for that event. I'll make sure I can get it off. I know Whiby and Oshawa pretty well (having grown up there), so this should be interesting. I'll have to stop caching there for now. What happens if we plan on caching a cache that one of us has already done?

We stop, you point and laugh while we search is the general programme when one person has been to a cache that the rest of the 24 Hour squad hasn't been to before. It's oodles of fun. Hope you make it out to the event!

HEY! I Really can't miss this event this year! Does anyone want share a ride out to oshawa? My truck is still not in great shape n all. I can meet anywhere in kitchener, waterloo or cambridge. Of course i will pitch in with gas.

Sept 1 is my 30th b-day i might be a wee bit busy then. Other then that i hope to remain flexible to make it do this marathon again. I had great fun last year and man was it nice getting such help with claiming my 50th find from next to no finds. Keep me posted and let me know if anyone is up for car pooling.

PS Why not make it for august 28th ... that seems to be the date everyone on the date list (of main site) is free?

Edited by carrgirl

So far at this point I am just building the route. You can take a look at it on the event page by following the link at the top of this thread.

If you would like help choosing the route so you're not zig zagging all over let me know. Right now you seem to be darting all over the place.

So far at this point I am just building the route. You can take a look at it on the event page by following the link at the top of this thread.

If you would like help choosing the route so you're not zig zagging all over let me know. Right now you seem to be darting all over the place.

Darting all over the place? at 4AM those are straight lines!

Need some help with the puzzles on the route. If you have any of the answers, let me know privately. Please do not post it here in the forum. It would be nice if I could get these ahead of time to finalize the routing.

Only 35 days 16 hours 21 minutes and 15 seconds to go.

GCZTZP, GC11V20, GC11V0Y, GC1249Z, GC12N4E

Which brings me to another point. At this stage, people should have an idea how they are getting there, and for what portion of the day. I have 24 people enrolled so far at the event page (GC11A8C). I've advised the restaurant of the group size and they've asked me to finalize the numbers one week before the pub. PLEASE get your will attend in before August 12th if you're coming for the breakfast portion of the event, as the place WILL fill up easily. We're planning the meal between 8 and 9, and the group is leaving at 9 - so it may be in your best interest to be a little early.

DRIVERS: Please post any seat availability and your origin city/town for carpooling purposes. I'll be updating the event page with this information on the weekend.

Is there anyone attending that does not have your transportation established yet? It would be a good idea to post here (I'll cross post to the event page) with your origin city if you require transportation, or can offer transportation to others. I'd hate to see someone miss the event because they couldn't hitch a ride.

The guidelines for the drivers are simple: NOBODY is to ride alone as sleep deprivation does interesting things to a lone driver. If possible, we should leave some empty seats in the other cars to accomodate transportation should a vehicle break down. But - I'd prefer to see someone attend than be left behind to preserve an empty seat in a car.

I am going to start posting who is driving and who is riding in what car. If you are driving and you are not on the officail site, can you ley me know an i will add your vehicle. COuld you also let me know how many seats are in your vehicle including the driver. We like to keep at least one seat open incase a vehicle breaks down and we have to transfer passengers. Secondly, if you are not driving, please lewt me know what vehicle you will be in.

I'm still unsure at this time if I can make it. If I can make it, I will be driving to the start point and I'll be solo. From there I can either ride or drive, depending on how things work out. My vehicle can seat 4 comfortably, with room for 6 if needed.

Greywynd

I'm still unsure at this time if I can make it. If I can make it, I will be driving to the start point and I'll be solo. From there I can either ride or drive, depending on how things work out. My vehicle can seat 4 comfortably, with room for 6 if needed.

Greywynd

Just a quick note - as the first cache is a restaurant (for the event) I'd like to remind people that it is not an appropriate spot to leave vehicles during the day! A carpool lot off the 401 would be better -- wonder if there is any with a cache in them?

Just a quick note - as the first cache is a restaurant (for the event) I'd like to remind people that it is not an appropriate spot to leave vehicles during the day! A carpool lot off the 401 would be better -- wonder if there is any with a cache in them?

Well, one of the caches on the route is GCRZ8X GO Caching in Oshawa I would think that is about as quiet a spot for vehicles as there is. (Especially on weekends, Oshawa Go has limited service.) Even though it is currently #38 on the route, it is only a major block south of the restaurant. If I think about it some more, I'm sure I can think of some other possibilities. Maybe some of the locals can also add some suggestions for a parking location for extra vehicles.

Greywynd

Coming in from Halton Hills for the entire 24 hours. Could carpool with 3 or 4 people - anyone want a ride from Halton Hills, Mississuaga or TO? Could pick up at any of the carpool lots on the way out. Let me know.

I would be interested in carpooling with you. I am in Milton. Not sure where the carpool lot is closer to where I am though. I will need to confirm my participation later on but I would love to join you :)

FayeC

Need some help with the puzzles on the route. If you have any of the answers, let me know privately. Please do not post it here in the forum. It would be nice if I could get these ahead of time to finalize the routing.

Why don't you solve them yourself? :lol:

Why don't you solve them yourself? :lol:

I spend enough time organizing and running the event to make sure everyone has a fun safe time. If someone else wants to take the time to solve then, then fine. Other wise we skip them.

As posted on the event site, it is not about the numbers.