Paperless Caching - Let's Finish This

not sure if you guys answered this question or not, but do I need to pay for cachemate in order for it to work with uploading say 500 caches/info.

The unregistered version I have now only uploads 10 in a database and I don't see any of the caches details or information including the hints.

Yes. You get to try it out with a small number of caches at no charge. Beyond that it will cost you a massive $8.
That website wants me to register with one of their advertisers and buy something of theirs.. I think this is a waste of time. Is there away around spending more cache? I mean.. cash?

Are you looking to buy at smittyware.com (that's the Cachemate home page)? I see no pitch for anything other than $8. I bought it at that price a long time ago and have not paid a dime more since. Excellent value as far as I am concerned.

hmm, alright I saw that and wasn't sure if there was a way around it. I installed the free version (unregistered) of cachemate and it really does not do what I heard cachemate is supposed to do.

I've been using Cachemate for almost three years. It does everything I need for caching. It has a screen for the Cache Details, another for the Past Logs, a screen for logging your experience, and another for the Hint.

Eight dollars is a paltry sum for what that wonderful little program does.

What else do you want Cachemate to do . . . . ? :)

not sure if you guys answered this question or not, but do I need to pay for cachemate in order for it to work with uploading say 500 caches/info.

The unregistered version I have now only uploads 10 in a database and I don't see any of the caches details or information including the hints.

Yes. You get to try it out with a small number of caches at no charge. Beyond that it will cost you a massive $8.
That website wants me to register with one of their advertisers and buy something of theirs.. I think this is a waste of time. Is there away around spending more cache? I mean.. cash?

Are you looking to buy at smittyware.com (that's the Cachemate home page)? I see no pitch for anything other than $8. I bought it at that price a long time ago and have not paid a dime more since. Excellent value as far as I am concerned.

hmm, alright I saw that and wasn't sure if there was a way around it. I installed the free version (unregistered) of cachemate and it really does not do what I heard cachemate is supposed to do.

I've been using Cachemate for almost three years. It does everything I need for caching. It has a screen for the Cache Details, another for the Past Logs, a screen for logging your experience, and another for the Hint.

Eight dollars is a paltry sum for what that wonderful little program does.

What else do you want Cachemate to do . . . . ? :)

I mentioned earlier I did not BUY cachemate, I downloaded the free unregistered version. It won't allow me to add more than 10 caches to the database, doesn't have the hints, logs, or cache owner description. I try to save what I can and might be getting the program tonight. Thanks all for the help. :D

Cachemate is really an excellent shareware program. The registered version does the following:

- Lists all the caches you load into it from a gpx file.

- Puts them into different category files if you so desire (geographic area, difficulty, whatever you want)

- Lets you categorize them further into found, unfound, or any custom category you can think up

- Shows descriptions, hints and logs

- Lets you record the find (or DNF) and can automatically move the cache into the "found" category

- Dates and time stamps it

- Has a companion GPS program if you have a GPS that works in (or communicates with) your Palm

- Can show you nearest caches to your location or to a cache if it knows the coordinates (easier if a GPS is in sync with it)

- Can export the data you record or enter so that programs can make logging easier

Parsa

Edited by Parsa

My Paperless downloads usually goes like this:

1. Check out the caching area using Google Earth and Geocaching.com Google Maps

2. Use Google Earth to select a centre cache to do a pocket query around and select a search radius that will not exceed the 500 cache limit of a Pocket Query or whatever the maximum limit is that I will chose.

3. Do the Pocket Query (try to get a PQ that will return less than the maximum requested so you dont miss any by mistake)

4. Download the Pocket Query zip file from the e-mail and unzip it.

5. Open the Cache and Cache Waypoint files with EasyGPS and save to GPSr

6. Open the Cache and Cache Waypoint files with CMConvert (converts the EasyGPS format to Cachemate format).

7. Select the waypoints desired in CMConvert and export as a Palm database file (*.PBD) which will automatically load into the Palm Cachmate program on the next sync.

8. Sync with Palm to load Cache and Cache Waypoints, so far there are 4000 caches loaded...not sure the maximum if there is one.

Note:

1. If space is required, waypoints and tracks currently on the GPSr are downloaded and saved to MapSource and then the GPSr is cleared to make room for the new download.

2. I have Mobipocket on the Palm as well but don't use it anymore. The interface is cumbersome compared to Cachemate. Files for Mobipocket can be requested during the PQ and can be sync'd easily to the Palm if desired

Edited by Falach-fead

My Paperless downloads usually goes like this:

1. Check out the caching area using Google Earth and Geocaching.com Google Maps

2. Use Google Earth to select a centre cache to do a pocket query around and select a search radius that will not exceed the 500 cache limit of a Pocket Query or whatever the maximum limit is that I will chose.

3. Do the Pocket Query (try to get a PQ that will return less than the maximum requested so you dont miss any by mistake)

4. Download the Pocket Query zip file from the e-mail and unzip it.

5. Open the Cache and Cache Waypoint files with EasyGPS and save to GPSr

6. Open the Cache and Cache Waypoint files with CMConvert (converts the EasyGPS format to Cachemate format).

7. Select the waypoints desired in CMConvert and export as a Palm database file (*.PBD) which will automatically load into the Palm Cachmate program on the next sync.

8. Sync with Palm to load Cache and Cache Waypoints, so far there are 4000 caches loaded...not sure the maximum if there is one.

Note:

1. If space is required, waypoints and tracks currently on the GPSr are downloaded and saved to MapSource and then the GPSr is cleared to make room for the new download.

2. I have Mobipocket on the Palm as well but don't use it anymore. The interface is cumbersome compared to Cachemate. Files for Mobipocket can be requested during the PQ and can be sync'd easily to the Palm if desired

I downloaded cachemate but when I run the exe it says it needs an external app and doesn't install. Its the Pocket PC ver and I am using Vista

??

Thanks

Edited by PCIJOHN

I downloaded cachemate but when I run the exe it says it needs an external app and doesn't install. Its the Pocket PC ver and I am using Vista

??

Thanks

Try copying the .exe file directly to your PocketPC then running the install from there. I don't think it's the type of install that uses ActiveSync to install to your PDA.

:unsure:

So happy to find this thread. Some of you are pretty smart with this stuff! Whoo hooo!

I just switched last night from using Spinner and Plucker to GSAK and Cache Mate. Its so much faster! I'd really like to try figuring out the faster way of logging but I think I'll get settled with these new programs first before I try all the cool tricks you guys mentioned.

I don't really understand why you need to have GSAK keep track of your found caches. When I run a PQ, I tell it to ignore any caches that I own or have found. I don't think I have even finished setting up GSAK. Am I supposed to tell it where I live? I'm thinking that is for maybe more advanced stuff than what I really need to do? I just want the caches on my palm and GPS and a quick and easy way to log. I use the filters on geocaching.com when I run the PQ.

Huge question that a couple of us in Reno have. When you mark a cache as found on Cache Mate, then at the end of the caching day, send them all to memo pad.... how the heck do you get the memos to appear in date/time order? It puts them in alphabetical order by cache name and that is tricky if you want to log them in the actual order found. I realize I could just arrow through them and look for the next time stamp but it would be really great if the memo list was in order of the time you actually marked them as found.

You can reply here and/or (please!!) send me an email to NVGreenGecko@aol.com

Thanks so much!

:blink:

Edited by NVGreenGecko

I am just getting into this so please forgivethe noob...is there a way to use a standare iPod instead of a Palm?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...amp;hl=ipod+gpx That what you are looking for? I definitely use the notes section in mine and it works great.

Here is another option: http://cachemagnet.googlepages.com/

Thank you very much! I am not overly adept at programming so will try the second method...of course this may all be a moot point as my wife just gave me permission to get a Colorado 400t

:)

So happy to find this thread. Some of you are pretty smart with this stuff! Whoo hooo!

I just switched last night from using Spinner and Plucker to GSAK and Cache Mate. Its so much faster! I'd really like to try figuring out the faster way of logging but I think I'll get settled with these new programs first before I try all the cool tricks you guys mentioned.

I don't really understand why you need to have GSAK keep track of your found caches. When I run a PQ, I tell it to ignore any caches that I own or have found. I don't think I have even finished setting up GSAK. Am I supposed to tell it where I live? I'm thinking that is for maybe more advanced stuff than what I really need to do? I just want the caches on my palm and GPS and a quick and easy way to log. I use the filters on geocaching.com when I run the PQ.

Huge question that a couple of us in Reno have. When you mark a cache as found on Cache Mate, then at the end of the caching day, send them all to memo pad.... how the heck do you get the memos to appear in date/time order? It puts them in alphabetical order by cache name and that is tricky if you want to log them in the actual order found. I realize I could just arrow through them and look for the next time stamp but it would be really great if the memo list was in order of the time you actually marked them as found.

You can reply here and/or (please!!) send me an email to NVGreenGecko@aol.com

Thanks so much!

:)

I typed up a short tutorial for logging your caches after using cachemate. Check it out:

http://markz68.googlepages.com/geocacheloggingtutorial