February statistics

holograph

I've updated the statistics page with February's statistics.

It looks like the NGS may have had a backlog of reports that didn't get posted, and also the weather and upcoming contest may have kept many of us from reporting.

I've verified in at least one case that about half of one member's February recovery reports didn't get counted because the NGS didn't post the reports until after March 1.

At any rate, the statistics will catch up next month, as usual.

The maps have been updated also. The total recoveries map has a new viewer that makes it easier to zoom in on your location.

geocac_map_t.gif delta_map_t.gif

One of the highpoints of my month! (Does that mean that I should try to get a life?!?) :P

I love the Zoomify map!! It's great. This weekend's project: I need eight caches for 1100. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in Nomahegan Park! Six or seven banchmarks to be found in the immediate area. This weekend's project is to turn Union County from dark green to orange! Hee hee hee.

Yes. The weather has been a problem. It's near impossible to dig in frozen earth. Not to mention snow and ice.

Edited by Harry Dolphin

holograph -

Great work as always! But I did have a couple questions......

I finally sat down over the weekend and made a database up of all my reports to the NGS and guess what - our numbers are close, but don't match.

How are you searching the data? By initials only? Do you include the "did not find" reports? Do you include DESTROYED reports?

I'm assuming you only count the "Found" reports. I've checked all the datasheets of the markers that I've found in the last 2 months, and they have all been updated to what they should be. I'd really hate to have to go through all of them :(

Your count is 591 and I came up with 593 (I told you they were close!)

I'm only referring to the NGS count. Don't really care about the GeoCache count.

Thanks again for the work!!!

All the reports except "destroyed" reports are counted. The reason why destroyed reports aren't counted is that the datasheets are no longer available, at least not the way I retrieve them.

Each month, I pull all the datasheets that were loaded (updated) the previous month, from the 1st of the month to the end of the month. I have programs that analyze the datasheets and find the recovery report, the date, the organization code, and the initials. I match the initials to a database I have accumulated that identifies a geocacher with the initials. If the same geocacher has reported multiple times on the same datasheet, it is counted only once (I'd have to look at the program code to verify that, but I think that is correct. It doesn't happen very often, if at all.)

There is a slight possibility that some mark you recovered has subsequently been destroyed, and is no longer being counted. At the moment, the datasheets that are being counted are the ones available from the NGS annual archive, plus all the updates that have happened since. The NGS annual archives are snapshots of the datasheets from around October 2006, so any station that was recovered, but then destroyed before October isn't being counted.