UK-Wide Multi-cache

What happened to Okney and Shetland?

Were they handed back to Denmark/Norway in exchange for Ireland?

No, not quite, when I was compiling it, they were not on the counties list provided earlier in this thread. The same applies to the Scilly Isles.

Hi Edgemaster, Will the Orkney, Shetland and Scilly Isle be boxed in (to save expanding the map)

somewhere on the final map?

What happened to Okney and Shetland?

Were they handed back to Denmark/Norway in exchange for Ireland?

No, not quite, when I was compiling it, they were not on the counties list provided earlier in this thread. The same applies to the Scilly Isles.

Hi Edgemaster, Will the Orkney, Shetland and Scilly Isle be boxed in (to save expanding the map)

somewhere on the final map?

Ok, ok, I'll add them :o

But look back up for MrsB's warning on Scilly.

I now have the highlight selector in beta testing, I'll assist Bambography linking it to the rest of the site when he reappears.

I now have the highlight selector in beta testing, I'll assist Bambography linking it to the rest of the site when he reappears.

I'm Here!

Sorry tonight is Cub Scouts night and with abusy weekend passed I've not got much to show at the moment. I'm away for a few days this week, but will be back and grafting Thursday night.!

Please keep adding your email addresses. Thanks to those that already have!

Sorry, looking as we do very rarley at forums. Presume Herts has been done........ note to self ....young Mr Stu competition in Beds!....... LOL... although consider ourselves The Beds massive!!!!!! Laziness aside will check if there is a county we can help with. xxxx

No mainland England is left. See map below.

But here is an updated shaded map, showing all the counties currently 'taken'.

THE MAP DOES NOT UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY

,,,T,,,,7QlAOXyZw06w20.png

Edited by Edgemaster

Hello!

Due to a slight ... ahem.... oversight, my counties page hasnot saved any email addresses or profiles that have been submitted since the page went live.

If your name appears in the Email Update form on the page, please could you update your email address. I'll add profiles sometime soon.

I can only apologies for this.

CALLING ALL CACHE PLACERS

As the project continues we are going to need to send information to all cachers who are placing a cache for the BIG Quest. This woud take a few evenings if we were to attempt it though your profiles, so on the BIG Quest county List there is now a small email addition form. Please could you all make a quick visit HERE to add the email address you wish us to contact you on. These will not be publically available and only used for the project.

Thanks.

Here's the required link, if your name is not in the drop down list, does that mean you already have the data,

mine's not there.

Edited by McKryton

CALLING ALL CACHE PLACERS

As the project continues we are going to need to send information to all cachers who are placing a cache for the BIG Quest. This woud take a few evenings if we were to attempt it though your profiles, so on the BIG Quest county List there is now a small email addition form. Please could you all make a quick visit HERE to add the email address you wish us to contact you on. These will not be publically available and only used for the project.

Thanks.

Here's the required link, if your name is not in the drop down list, does that mean you already have the data,

mine's not there.

Tried to add my email address and got this : Fatal error: Call to undefined function: openconn() in /home/virtual/site110/fst/var/www/html/bigquest/addemail.php on line 14

several times. what am I doing wrong? :D

Tried to add my email address and got this : Fatal error: Call to undefined function: openconn() in /home/virtual/site110/fst/var/www/html/bigquest/addemail.php on line 14

Sorry!! - All fixed now!

Thats what happens when I try and do things past my bedtime! Thanks for the heads-up on the issue.

Sorry!! - All fixed now!

Thats what happens when I try and do things past my bedtime! Thanks for the heads-up on the issue.

ha! not me then. :D

Cool. Thanks :D

I would assume that if your name isn't in the drop down list, your email was successfully registered.

This is indeed correct. The drop-down will only show those without an email address on the database.

England will be full v soon won't it, and Eire will be some time off... does this mean we are soon going to be at a point where we can set 'em in England? Might be worthwhile because it would set the ball rolling :D

This maybe the case however there are still many things to finalise before we can start the challenge. One major thing is permissions from Groundspeak to manage the final caches ourselves via the website (which also needs to be inplace before it can all start).

England will be full v soon won't it, and Eire will be some time off... does this mean we are soon going to be at a point where we can set 'em in England? Might be worthwhile because it would set the ball rolling B)

This maybe the case however there are still many things to finalise before we can start the challenge. One major thing is permissions from Groundspeak to manage the final caches ourselves via the website (which also needs to be inplace before it can all start).

ok, i'm probably missing something obvious here, but i thought the final cache and the regional intermediate caches will be listed on GC.com? The management on an external website is to monitor logs and ensure that the finder has found all the county caches, and as long as the cache page states that it is essential that all the county caches are found, then the way we monitor that is up to us?

Is it essential that the website is in place, or can this be done retrospectively? Will Groundspeak allow minimal spidering of its website solely to lift logs? Failing that, we could agree that the owner of each county cache forwards the find notification e-mail to a central server, which then collates these? No idea if this is do-able, but its an idea!

I would assume that if your name isn't in the drop down list, your email was successfully registered.

This is indeed correct. The drop-down will only show those without an email address on the database.

England will be full v soon won't it, and Eire will be some time off... does this mean we are soon going to be at a point where we can set 'em in England? Might be worthwhile because it would set the ball rolling B)

Sorry for my absence over the last few days.

It is true that England is virtually all sponsored and I too want to get that off the ground as soon as possible. But as Bambography says "There are still a number of thing to do first. I am currently composing a letter to Groundspeak (GS) outlining our project and how we propose running it.

There are a number of "admin" issues that we need to clarify with them. One of the main ones is to find out if we can supply the co-ordinates for the "Final" caches from our own i.e. external website. To be able to do that would be a big help. Additionally being able to access "Raw" data for maintaining a database of completions would also be very useful.

To have a chance of GS agreeing to this we have to put forward a viable case, hopefully in a professional way. Part of this is to put forward a good image. With this in mind I have delayed contacting GS just yet, until: -

1 - we have a finalised list of counties and that they are sponsored (Now OK);

2 - we have our website in a usable form (Very close);

3 - established a set of guidelines (Again close);

4 - agreed how the the stages will be organised (still needs some work)

5 - we have a good team of people supporting the project and that it will be viable in the long-term.

The last point is very important. There are a few very good people, besides myself, actively involved, but more are very welcome. Is there anyone with good experience of using a secure database linked to a website, possibly using PHP and/or MySQL. If so we need you.

I hope to put forward modified Guidelines, proposals for regions and how we decide where the final caches are placed in the next day or so. If these are accepable (at least to most people) I will be able to use that as part of our proposals to GS.

Does this mean that everyone that is going to place a cache in England has already got a location in mind and if not, how long have we got before caches are expected to be placed?

That's assuming that all cachers have obtained permission from landowners to place them, this in itself can take a while.

To be able to do that would be a big help. Additionally being able to access "Raw" data for maintaining a database of completions would also be very useful.

A single daily PQ should cover that, you just need to implement a database on the BIG website.

Teasel from gcuk should be able to advise you on that.

To be able to do that would be a big help. Additionally being able to access "Raw" data for maintaining a database of completions would also be very useful.

A single daily PQ should cover that, you just need to implement a database on the BIG website.

Teasel from gcuk should be able to advise you on that.

Can you do PQs from bookmark lists?

It appears to be possible from a bookmark page. I'll become a PM soon, it helps with these things B)

Edited by Edgemaster

Here are some more logos for the pot - the idea behind them is the use of the four compass points, but replacing North, East, South and West with Northern Ireland, Eire, Scotland and Wales, with England in the middle.

The last one is an alternative which omits the flag for NI and has the Union Flag in the centre. Its got a light drop shadow which could be added to the others...

logo1.jpg

logo2.jpg

logo3.jpg

logoalt.jpg

I like CSC's pics and have tried (I'm no artist) incorporating a sample text with his design: -

her design. Takes more than one person to make a crew :rolleyes:

The quality of the graphics is great and I really like the four national flags round the outside but the Union flag in the centre still excludes some nations. Could the middle be caching related.

Its hard to please everyone, hence the first design with all the flags, although I'm sure some people would object to the George Cross being in the centre.

Any suggestions for what you would like to see instead of the Union Flag?

How about the GX sign on black?

logo5.jpg

or on white?

logo6.jpg

Edited by Cryptik Souls Crew
Sorry, looking as we do very rarley at forums. Presume Herts has been done........ note to self ....young Mr Stu competition in Beds!....... LOL... although consider ourselves The Beds massive!!!!!! Laziness aside will check if there is a county we can help with. xxxx

No mainland England is left. See map below.

But here is an updated shaded map, showing all the counties currently 'taken'.

THE MAP DOES NOT UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY

,,,T,,,,7QlAOXyZw06w20.png

Swansea needs colouring in :D

logoalt.jpg

I like this one.

The quality of the graphics is great and I really like the four national flags round the outside but the Union flag in the centre still excludes some nations. Could the middle be caching related.

But without the Union Flag, Northern Ireland is no longer represented :cry:

(sorry for being a pain :D )

Yup, time for us all to read this

http://www.qub.ac.uk/iis/for-researchers/Flags-05.pdf

But it does not say which flag should be used! When making the icon I posted previously I realised there was an issue with Northern Ireland. Putting the Union flag does not represent the whole of NI either as far as some are concerned but then neither does the NI flag I used. I think it needs to be debated amoungst the cache placers for that locality to decide which they perfer but at the moment there is not a majority of counties alocated yet,

Helen

Well I have read it and the only parts that pertain to anything to do with Geocaching is (1.12) and even then it only refers to the flying of Flags on Govenment Buildings. The whole piece is only a surmising of the Irish peoples reactance to a particular Flag on a particular building at a particular time. At no point was there mentioned the banning of any symbol that was portrayed in a peaceful manner.

I really dont know what McKryton means when he said we must all read this. Sorry old chap but i think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Could the black GX on white be anti-aliased? It's a bit too pixelly.

Sorry, it was quite late when I was playing around with it, here it is not pixelated.

biglogowhite3.jpg

But without the Union Flag, Northern Ireland is no longer represented :D

(sorry for being a pain :o )

Maybe this kind of thing is more appropriate then with the Union Jack still in the middle but with the GX logo over the top of it?

biglogoukgx.jpg

I really like the black "G" on the white background. the only problem now is that Wales has a really cool dragon while the rest of us only have boring crosses or tricolours. ;)

:o Thats because Wales has a really cool flag :(

Why not use a symbol for each country instead of a flag? Ie Dragon/Daffodil for Wales, Rose for England; Thistle for Scotland and Shamrock for Ireland (then it wouldn't matter whether it was north or south).

But then we would have the war over whether the rose was red or white, so I suggest pink!! :D

Of course somewhere in all this we would want the G logo as well. :o

Edited by The Red Kite

The use of the Union flag in the middle makes a bold statement that this is a UK centric project which is making

a minor concession to some other peripheral countries out there somewhere. A geocaching symbol in the middle with flags around it says this is a joint geocaching project involving a number of equal participants.

A flag or symbol to represent Northern Ireland is probably the most sensitive of all and sticking the Union flag in the middle and saying "since it contains St Patrick's cross it's there solely to represent NI" creates more problems than it solves.

The purpose in referencing the document was to reveal the minefiled that opens up when attempting to select

a flag or symbol to represent NI which is at least tolerable to all.

he purpose in referencing the document was to reveal the minefiled that opens up when attempting to select

a flag or symbol to represent NI which is at least tolerable to all.

Point noted McKryton and duly put down in my Annals of History book. You must agree though, that the theme that all the Geocaching lads and lasses are doing , is simply to make a logo. not a Flag, not a political statement, nor any statement other than a unilateral commitment by all to further the Big Quest, and that includes the N.I. geocachers. I wonder if we could have more input from N.I. about this logo. Unless they already have and I have missed the posting.

By the time you've got the 'flag thing' sorted to everyones satisfaction (like never!), there'll probably be nowhere left that isn't already within 0.1 miles of an existing cache.

What started out as a good idea for a cache has turned into a debate about icons and pictures. How about we get on with hiding some boxes :anitongue:

I think we've come a long way from the OP in only 2 weeks, not bad considering how long it took Stateside to get it up and running.

I don't think we're far off now. If it takes another couple of weeks to iron out the creases we'll be doing quite well.

There's also the small issue of GC permission for the use of an outside website.

(Which is being addressed).

edit for typo

Edited by CrazyL200