UK-Wide Multi-cache

Here's my logo effort. (PS Thanks T-girls, I borrowed your map. I tried to do my own but it turned out rotten)

No problem using the UK map... I could not find a font that I was happy with for the writing anyway. I only used the geocaching logo because I saw it on the previous logo design and this version looked the best out of the five I had. In in the end it may be that the final logo will be an amalgam anyway with things changed from each entry.

I do like the animated logo... I think that would make the pages very eye-catching and set them apart from other pages,

Helen

I very much hope that more scottish cachers will come forward and place a cache in thier area.

A less than desirable option would be for one cacher to take on two or more areas (primarily on the grounds of maintenance).

Fingers crossed we can tempt more scottish cachers to join the growing ranks :)

To us and many other cachers that is not the challenge we envisaged.

It would appear that most other cachers who have expressed a view here are happy to go along with the OPs' guidelines.

Yep, just tell us what to do.... I'm participating assuming that the last word will be set by the OP.

Re: Name and Logo...

I'm not sure what people are after, but thought we should start somewhere..

Daft Dog Designs

Click on "Cache Logos" then on the logo for a bigger image. I'll add some more soon...

All creative comments welcome.

Thanks

Dave

PS Sorry its a link, I can't work out how to out get the picture in the forum.... !

Has anyone had a look yet? :)

Just a quick post before I set off for our Weekend away.

Having looked quickly through the recent posting I see that there is quite a degree of comment about some of the Draft Guidelines. Mainly 1, 11, 12 and 13. That is Type and location of the caches.

Can I reiterate that these are "Draft Guidelines". They were floated to see what people's responses were, and are very much up to discussion and amendment if it is felt that better ideas are forthcoming.

They reflect my personal ideas, and they may well be totally out-of-line with the general caching community. As I have said before my Geocaching experience is fairly limited.

Also they are "Guidelines" not "Commandments". They are not set in stone, nor do I imagine ever will be. They should always be flexibility to amend them as we progress. They are (will be) only for guidance. The final decision on exactly what type of cache, and where it is located, will be totally the decision of the cache-placer.

Having said that; It seems to me that the majority of the posters on this forum seem to be happy. It would seems to me (but I haven't actually counted) that there are about equal numbers of posting supporting the original guidelines as there are opposing.

But, again from a personal point of view, I still feel that making finding a cache much more difficult than in the current draft is not in anyones best interest. Fine, I can see that it is nice for a cache-placer to set what they see as an interesting puzzle. But it too easy to forget that, for this series, many of the people attempting to find it may have travelled a long way and do not have a great deal of time, or much local knowledge of the area. This may mean that the cache is actually much harder than the setter anticipated. Also they may only be able to justify one trip to the area, so it is imperative that they stand a decent chance of logging a find.

I, personally, would be a little peeved if I travelled all the way from Yorkshire to (say) the South-West only to find that a cache, whilst probably fun normally, was not possible to find in the time I had available. Not all people are "Caching fanatics". I personally use caching as an addition to my travels around the world. not as a reason to travel to somewhere. This series would obviously be different!!

Anyway, anyone is welcome to submit alternative guidelines. If you can provide alternative versions please post them. I am perfectly happy to go with the majority.

If we do get several, or even lots of, alternatives I will collate them and we can discuss them all, and if necessary have a vote (Does anyone know if this board has a mechanism for voting. I seem to remember seeing one somewhere.)

Finally, and this has been raised before I would welcome your thoughts on how we decide who gets the task (honour) of setting the regional/national/final caches. I know some discussion has been made so far, but I haven't had chance to absorb all the recent postings.

Do we do it by nominations followed by a vote? Invitations to experienced cachers? Pull names out of a hat? Person nearest the centre of the area?

Over to you.

So.

Post alternative guidelines Please only post those you want to change from the original draft or add totally new ones. I am greatly aware how long this forum is becoming, not helped by my long postings.

Post your ideas for Person and location for the Regional/National/Final caches

Edited by OldGimmer

Finally, and this has been raised before I would welcome your thoughts on how we decide who gets the task (honour) of setting the regional/national/final caches.

There are those of us, like me, who won't be able to take part in much of this series (due to lack of private transport).

How-about first-refusal for those who are chosen to place the regional/national/final is given to us, to allow us to contribute to the whole project in a special way?

If one of the regional/national (or even final) caches is chosen to be placed in West Yorkshire (a pretty central county) I'd be happy to take the responsibility.

Not wishing to stirr up a hornets next but isn't the red white and blue on the Republic of Ireland just a little provocative.

Agree with McKryton about the Republic of Ireland.

The T-girls logo shows the individual Countrys and represents the regional as well as the UK.

With Blue Magicians changes looks even better. :)

Have seen Fozzies new logo, but with the Republic having its own flag alone looks wrong.

Give all the seperate Countrys their own National flag, and keep everyone happy.

Edited by Twm-y-tonnau

New modified version of my logo proposal can be found here....

BIG QUEST LOGO PROPOSAL

(Click on Cache Logos, then on the image to make it larger)

Sorry I still can't work out how to put it on the forum! Its my age you know! :D

I really like that. I'd suggest that the Union Jack could look a little bit more like the Union Jack, and possibly incorporate the words British Isles Geocaching Quest (is that the correct full text?) into it somehow, although this might not be easy to do while still keeping it looking so clean.

No Dave yet again you have tried to misunderstand/twist the words of someone who dared to disagree with you by again bringing your petty niggles onto this forum.

Looks like to me that I am the one that has DARED to disagree with you?? I haven't brought up the fact that we don't see eye to eye, you have done that in the above quote. I haven't twisted any words, I apologise IF you think I have.

Due to the fact that YOU have brought up our personal differences, I am now going to try and refrain from continuing on this line of discussion with you. This does not mean that I will stop giving my opinion on this thread, and if it goes against the grain with you, then tuff! We are all entitled to our opinions, including you. :D

It would appear that most other cachers who have expressed a view here are happy to go along with the OPs' guidelines.

Yep, just tell us what to do.... I'm participating assuming that the last word will be set by the OP.

I agree, and as OldGimmer's post above shows, he couldn't be any more democratic if he tried.

As for the logo, I like Blue Magicians version, but I suppose it would still look good with the Fozzies wording and logo down the side, but does this not bring the use of Groundspeaks logo up again?

The use of a unmodified GC logo is usable for personal use. It would be possible to obtain permission off Groundspeak to use it, especially as permission for the final caches has to be obtained off them. What they will not allow or provide permission for is the modified use of the logo as it is a registered trade mark.

It would appear that most other cachers who have expressed a view here are happy to go along with the OP's guidelines.

This may be the case, I think that the majority are happy to go along with the OP's guidelines BUT that doesn't change the fact that the same cachers - and I am one of them - may have envisaged something else. Secondly, the Guidelines have not been decided upon and I for one (possibly in the extreme minority) would like to see more of a challenge/quest than driving around picking up "easy" caches.

For once, I am living on Planet Reality and am fully aware that I will not complete this series. I do not have the time or money spare to do so. therefore, I am going to be limited to finding those caches in the counties I am fortunate to visit. I'd certainly like to make it a bit more interesting than Drive-by's or 5 minute walkie caches.

May I make a suggestion (comments invited).

• On one of KiwiGary's puzzle/multi caches, he provided a link to a website where you could submit the co-ordinates you have derived and these would be checked against the co-ords posted by the cache setter.
    If correct it tells you so and if not.....

This would alleviate the problem of going to co-ords you think are right and being disappointed.

I will post the details when I find it or if someone knows about it already, please post.

I think it would be a very good idea.

• On one of KiwiGary's puzzle/multi caches, he provided a link to a website where you could submit the co-ordinates you have derived and these would be checked against the co-ords posted by the cache setter.

This would alleviate the problem of going to co-ords you think are right and being disappointed.

I will post the details when I find it or if someone knows about it already, please post.

Here :D

This was the sort of thing I was thinking of when suggesting that puzzle caches that can be solved beforehand need not be disallowed. After solving the puzzle it is just like a normal cache. OK, you have to solve the puzzle first... :)

Helen

Edited by T-girls

For once, I am living on Planet Reality and am fully aware that I will not complete this series. I do not have the time or money spare to do so. therefore, I am going to be limited to finding those caches in the counties I am fortunate to visit. I'd certainly like to make it a bit more interesting than Drive-by's or 5 minute walkie caches.

Because you and myself for that matter don't think we may ever complete it, why should we make it more difficult for others just so that we can get a bit more out of it? In this case the cache for you would be nothing more than another traditional to be logged. Because you think you will never complete it, why can't you get your satisfaction out of more difficult caches that are submitted separately, there are plenty of them about.

Onto your second point, how do you check the co-ords for puzzles/multi's that require solving on the ground. My thought on this is that you can't! It will be difficult and complicated to get everyone to submit puzzles that can be solved at home. As for the multi, I have made mistakes many times on them in the past, which is easy to do.

There is nothing to say that you will find the traditional cache that has been placed either. Why we have to make it more difficult than is actually needed is beyond me?

I am currently thinking of placing my cache on top of a hill. This would mean replacing one of my current caches, but I think it fits fully in with the proposed guidelines at the moment, and the terrain is 2 stars if you take the longer route of 1 hour round trip. My chosen place is the City of Edinburgh, surely with some thought put into it you can keep it within the proposed guidelines but still make it a bit of a challenge.

Because you and myself for that matter don't think we may ever complete it, why should we make it more difficult for others just so that we can get a bit more out of it?

I never said I wanted to make it more difficult because I wasn't going to complete it. I have no intention of making it more difficult for anyone - just varied.

Onto your second point, how do you check the co-ords for puzzles/multi's that require solving on the ground. My thought on this is that you can't! It will be difficult and complicated to get everyone to submit puzzles that can be solved at home. As for the multi, I have made mistakes many times on them in the past, which is easy to do.

Use a phone! PAF and they can check. That's one solution. Another is log on via WAP.

I am currently thinking of placing my cache on top of a hill. This would mean replacing one of my current caches, but I think it fits fully in with the proposed guidelines at the moment, and the terrain is 2 stars if you take the longer route of 1 hour round trip.

The multi/puzzle, if allowed, still has to fit into the criteria laid down in the impending guidelines.

If you actually read my post I stated that I was happy to go along with whatever was decided. That doesn't stop me from voicing an opinion and putting forward suggestions which may or may not be taken on board. In fact, my opinion was actually only voiced, in response to a post made by you!

:D

It would appear that most other cachers who have expressed a view here are happy to go along with the OP's guidelines.

This may be the case, I think that the majority are happy to go along with the OP's guidelines BUT that doesn't change the fact that the same cachers - and I am one of them - may have envisaged something else. Secondly, the Guidelines have not been decided upon and I for one (possibly in the extreme minority) would like to see more of a challenge/quest than driving around picking up "easy" caches.

I don't have any intention of placing a drive by or a 5 minute walk cache. I think that we could trust that the vast majority of those who have volunteered to participate will set a cache that is reasonably interesting and takes a moderate degree of effort to get to. If not everyone does this, does it really matter?

As for the phone idea to check coordinates of multis, forget it. There are too many unforeseen obstacles to this eg i) no signal ii) dead battery or iii) left it at home/don't have one. IMHO we should try to ensure that all of the caches can be completed without hiccups. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are all going to be dead easy.

Edited by Firth of Forth
I never said I wanted to make it more difficult because I wasn't going to complete it. I have no intention of making it more difficult for anyone - just varied.

I can agree with this, but at some point varied runs the risk of changing into to difficult.

Use a phone! PAF and they can check. That's one solution. Another is log on via WAP.

Not feasible from the outset, not everyone has the technology.

You need a telephone number, I'm not willing to give my number out to anyone who asks for it, which is what would need to happen.

I personally don't like using my WAP on my Pay & Go phone. I hazard a guess that others would be the same?

The multi/puzzle, if allowed, still has to fit into the criteria laid down in the impending guidelines.

Totally agree, and this is why we are discussing the pros and cons of any such guidelines.

If you actually read my post I stated that I was happy to go along with whatever was decided. That doesn't stop me from voicing an opinion and putting forward suggestions which may or may not be taken on board.

I have already said as much. It looks to me as though we actually agree on more than what it appears. :D

On the continuing subject of the admissability of puzzles. If it is reasonable to exclude the more extreme physical challenges, it's also reasonable to exclude certain type of puzzles but surely not all.

On a challenge of this length where trips to visiting multiple caches will be planned, it's unreasonable to expect anybody to set foot outside their front door without knowing that they have the correct solution to any puzzles so it must be capable of being solved remotely and without a prior visit to the cache site.

Everybody must have the same chance of being able to acquire any raw information required to solve the puzzle.

The puzzle may stille be harder for some people to solve than others but thats the nature of puzzles in the same way that some people would be very challenged by a level of terrain that others would barely notice.

Woukld it be acceptible for a checking site such as this

http://evince.locusprime.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi

to be used as part of the quest.

There are very few if any, that are likely to complete this task, wether it be through financial resources available, time or ability.

So the harder you make each cache, the more the number is likely to decline and the more chance of apathy about the whole project will develop.

Surely we would want to avoid this at all costs

Edited by ScouseMouse

Although I don't want to create a hard cache that people will struggle with, not do I have any intention of placing it within 5mins of a road. I've done plenty of caches that are very enjoyable in thier own right without the need of an unenjoyable puzzle to start with. Instead of making it hard to get the coordinates, why not make the final hide slightly harder than placing it under a pile of stones/twigs against a tree....

I have just noticed that the list of Scottish Councils is incomplete as Orkney and Shetland Islands are missing. I don't think that the UK cache would be complete without them!

Yes, I'm in the middle of making a selection map for this. Also, the Isle of Man, and the Scilly isles are missing...

Yes, I'm in the middle of making a selection map for this. Also, the Isle of Man, and the Scilly isles are missing...

Whilst I would be delighted to see a brand new cache placed on the Isles of Scilly for this project, it might prove difficult to have good, reliable and fast maintenance provided for it. In general, the Islands come under the umbrella of Cornwall County Council, although they also have their own local council for the islands.

I don't think that there's any geocacher actually resident on the Islands... but I may be proved wrong! :D

MrsB

Instead of making it hard to get the coordinates, why not make the final hide slightly harder than placing it under a pile of stones/twigs against a tree....

I started thinking along those lines myself but then realised it was biased. Some people like puzzles, some people are good at them, some use them as a substitute for physical challenges they are not capable of achieving and those people are just as entitled as the physically fit to see their interests reflected in this challenge.

Instead of making it hard to get the coordinates, why not make the final hide slightly harder than placing it under a pile of stones/twigs against a tree....

I started thinking along those lines myself but then realised it was biased. Some people like puzzles, some people are good at them, some use them as a substitute for physical challenges they are not capable of achieving and those people are just as entitled as the physically fit to see their interests reflected in this challenge.

I wasn't meaning physicaly demanding hides. Just a nice walk with a well hidden cache at the end. Not one where your GPS says 7m to go and you see the 'likely spot'. Due to Handicache ratings I'd hope these caches are to be available to all abilities.

CALLING ALL CACHE PLACERS

As the project continues we are going to need to send information to all cachers who are placing a cache for the BIG Quest. This woud take a few evenings if we were to attempt it though your profiles, so on the BIG Quest county List there is now a small email addition form. Please could you all make a quick visit HERE to add the email address you wish us to contact you on. These will not be publically available and only used for the project.

Thanks.

I feel that the addition of a few EASY puzzles would give the finder more a sense of achievement and would also give the setter the chance to plug their county. I would stipulate that all answers be available on google and could be solved from the armchair.

The addition of a coords checker would be imperative and the questions carefully worded to avoid amibguity or confusion.

e.g.

Please count the number of letters in each answer: -

1. The nickname for Staffordshire is from its main traditional industry. Potteries = 9

2. The most famous of the china factories was owned by Josiah ........? Wedgewood = 9

etc.

This could also give the finders a very good knowledge of these wonderful islands of ours and maybe once the puzzles had been worked out, that would give extra incentive to going and finding that tupperware.

Edited by Jimblonduk

I wasn't meaning physicaly demanding hides. Just a nice walk with a well hidden cache at the end. Not one where your GPS says 7m to go and you see the 'likely spot'. Due to Handicache ratings I'd hope these caches are to be available to all abilities.

Thanks for taking this comment the way that it was intended because I wasn't trying to single anbody out and include myself among the accused. I personally am not good a puzzles and probably won't be setting one this time but the few that I have done have given me immense satisfaction. Kept under control they have the capacity to contribute greatly but used badly could make the whole scheme unworkable. I'll shut up on this topic now.

A stray idea flittered acorss my brain today - ending well. All projects come to an end at some point but few things are ended well. In relation to this BIG Quest, how will it end? Just fade away? Fall apart as caches/cachers drop out of the series?

It's unrealistic to expect it to last forever. At some point the enthusiasm is gone, the hassle of keeping it going is no longer worth the joy of seeing people complete it. So I wondered if it would be worth agreeing at the start how long it is intented to keep it up and maintained? I guess people would assume that it would be for a number of years, given the size of the task (although some keen soul will no doubt nip round in a couple of months!). What is the expectation - 3 years, 5 years, 10 years?

Having an agreed duration would help all involved. If you are intending to find them all, you know you've got a fixed time to do it. The people maintaining the caches, website, etc know how long it needs to be kept in full working order, and allows an eaasy reinvention/change of people.

It can seem a bit depressing thinking about the end, but better to go out on a relative high than keep plodding away when it's past its 'best before date'. Great projects need to end well not just begin well.

Personally, I'd go for no more than 5 years. It's long enough for those with limited time to complete it in a reasonable number of trips/holidays each year. It's short enough to, hopefully, still feel 'fresh' at the end of it and not too much of a commitment from setters and admin folk. I guess if it became something of a legend it could always be continued or reinvented once the initial period was up.

What do others think?

I have drawn up a map showing all counties that are to be a part of the BIG Quest. I am writing something to shade counties for use with Bambography's site.

How does it look, do you have any complaints or comments?

There seems to be an awful lot of separate areas around SE Wales: I'm sure it's accurate, but we seem to have more than our fair share... :)

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

I have drawn up a map showing all counties that are to be a part of the BIG Quest. I am writing something to shade counties for use with Bambography's site.

There seems to be an awful lot of separate areas around SE Wales: I'm sure it's accurate, but we seem to have more than our fair share... :)

MrsB

It is roughly accurate, based off wikipedia maps (nicely rough), and the lists that were supplied earlier on in this thread, and that Bambography has inherited from Rutson. In a way, I'm just the messenger.

Edited by Edgemaster

FinishedNoShade.png

I'm liking this. Its nice and clean looking without being to generalised. Thanks.

There seems to be an awful lot of separate areas around SE Wales: I'm sure it's accurate, but we seem to have more than our fair share... :ph34r:

MrsB

There are a lot, this is my own map, probably based on the same one that the proposed one has come from. I added a some borders (I'll recheck mine, some of my North Wales ones look quite different) and a few other bits:

counties_cached.gif

Wales does look like it is over administered :(:ph34r:

FinishedNoShade.png

What happened to Okney and Shetland?

Were they handed back to Denmark/Norway in exchange for Ireland?

Why not agree now to review it say every three years with the option to continue if there is still interest. If it becomes popular great, if not we then have a way to put it to bed.

That is worthwhile idea, I think it may take this long to find out if there are people out there still on the quest.

The map looks good. I can see the Lothians quite clearly but I can't see Edinburgh (City of) is it on there but just to small to fit in?

Here are a few of the Awards that were completed by me in my quest for Ham Radio Worked All Britain. The story goes like this...and see how close it comes to the BigQuest that is being compiled on the UKGeocaching Forum.

1. All the 10km Grid co-ordinates are used to compile the award. Whereas in GC only the Counties are used.

2. To enable everyone to have a part of this Quest there should be stages of completion. Because not everyone will or are able to complete it. If you set a Quest where you know most people wont be able to complete, then only a few rich and well travelled Geocachers will be able to complete it. And that I am afraid means most of the Geocachers in the UK.

3. To have an award system where all the UK Counties are designated for an Award and all the Scottish Counties have a seperate Award along with seperate awards for Northern Ireland and of course Wales. This will then give those less travelled the chance to be a part of this fantastic Quest without feeling it a lost cause.

First of all go to my webpage and have a look at the BigQuest pics, the words below are just copied from that page. All you do is click on the link below.

http://fire.prohosting.com/johnziss/geo/index.htm

As you can see these Awards are geared towards the Worked All Britain (WAB) system but you can see how easy it is to get some to suit the Big Quest UK system.

As far as cost is concerned then it should not cost a great deal to get blank awards printed, the number of awards will need to be determined. But I would say a run of about 500 for the Counties should be sufficient. Of course it will have to be arranged with the printers should you get say 535 orders. Not everything in this life is well ordered and simple. An award system divided amongst Wales, N.Ireland, Scotland, UK, and other Islands that have yet to be decided.

On each of the awards you can see where the WAB stickers are attached, and these determine the extent of attainment. (Apart from the COUNTIES one where just a number was typed in.) I think the ISLANDS Award shows what I mean. I 'worked' over 90 Islands that are dotted around the British Isles. More were available but I stopped at 90. You can see where someone can get 45 counties and then for whatever reason cant do any more. It would be nice for them to have some recognition of what they have achieved by means of this award. On their award will be circles for all the UK Counties of which they will have stickers attached to the Counties they have done. This award system is really just collating the names of individuals and what they have achieved. What do you all think, and is it ok for me to pass this on to whoever has the means and resources to do this......or do I have to take this to the Court of Human Rights and fight for the next 15 years at a personal cost to me of hundreds of thousands of pounds. Isnt this fun, I am looking forward to the Start............

Edited by Red Squadron