UK-Wide Multi-cache

I'm finding myself agreeing with Team Clova, if we are building a challenge to maximise the number of possible participants then 131 roadside micros would seem to serve the purpose, but dont we already have "Motorway Mayhem" for that. I think the challenge should contain the best that caching has to offer, surely there is room for a few puzzles and the occasional 5/5 along the way.

Which brings the subject of the final up. How do we determine what's in it?

The FTF prize will be one of the drivers for the Quest. Maybe not as much as the sense of achievement of getting there, at any time, but more so for the FTF.

If each sponsor sponsored the final in some small way, the FTF prize could be quite something.

Seeing as it's likely to be a while before it gets found, may I suggest that it's contents are kept to a minimum until it's clear that it's not far off being found, just in case it gets muggled or otherwise damaged in some way.

Sorry for the lenght of this, I seem to have do some thinking out loud :unsure:<_<:P

If I'm talking cobblers, tell me :(

I too had a thought or two on the subject of prizes. I know not everyone is into coins, but it might be nice if we could get a set of coins minted for finders of the final cache and/or the country level ones? FTF coins could be in gold say, and others in some sort of silver. Dunno how we'd fund it though...

B.

Well, if someone who knows about such things produced, say 500 'ordinary' ones for sale, that could finance the 12 odd super smart ones as FTF prizes

I am a sucker for shiny geocoins (my IOM ones arrived yesterday, very nice they are too)

An obvious ? choice and something I was thinking about.

I'd be willing to finance it to get design and production etc... going.

Design probably based on whatever the logo ends up being.

I would think a one off for the Quest Final FTF and some gold ones for sale.

Silver for region FTFs and some for sale

And bronze for general sale - maybe the Sponsors would by one each ?? for FTF prizes in the counties.

Money to fund the Gold and Silver would come out of the profits from all sales. If the expected sales would produce enough profit, then the bronze FTFs could also be funded.

I wouldn't want to make any personal profit, just happy to help out.

Thoughts ?

For clarity, you can pick a county for yourself at THIS SITE

I made a mistake in entering my profile details - how do I ammend them so that the hypertext works?

I'll update it on the database. I've not made a form for updating details as yet. This will be something for the main site. The current form is just for selecting the counties to save people having to update lists manually.

- Thats should be done now. I'll go through the missing profiles at a later date.

Regarding the Geocoins: Personally I think it would be nice to have a set of coins that only people that have completed the challenge can get (ie not for sale too) as this would add something to the ownership of the coin. If other people can buy the coin it wouldn't carry as much significance.

Edited by Bambography

Anyone designed a logo yet ?

I have a couple of ideas, however if anyone else has any they wish to submit, when we have a few for consideration we'll have a vote or let OldGimmer make and Executive Decision or something like that....

Let's have your Logo Design ideas!

The executive decision is to have a competition! Particularly for the logo, but possibly for the whole cache page layout. Bambography is already working on a page layout, but perhaps you have ideas as well.

So! Can we have entries for designs from anyone who wishes to submit something. When we've had a number of entries we'll put them up to a vote If you are graphically challenged like me, try sending a sketch or description. Possibly (hopefully) will offer to create a proper graphic from such entries.

To give you some ideas, here is the Alaskan page from the USA Series, showing the US Logo and general page layout and contents. All their other states have pages to the same design.

I have a question - are cache owners able to complete the challenge?

I'm sure so but I assume they'll automatically be designated as exempt in having to find their own cache.

I don't see why not. Bambography has already said that he should be able to set the cache-owners record to "Found" by default so that your Progress record would be correct.

It would be a pretty big "downer" if being willing to set a cache ruled you out of the whole series. <_<

Edited by OldGimmer

I have a question - are cache owners able to complete the challenge?

I'm sure so but I assume they'll automatically be designated as exempt in having to find their own cache.

Indeed. Once the database it setup, the cache owners will automatically show that they have 'found' thier own cache. This will save you having to log it and ensure that your details are complete.

Which brings the subject of the final up. How do we determine what's in it?

The FTF prize will be one of the drivers for the Quest. Maybe not as much as the sense of achievement of getting there, at any time, but more so for the FTF.

If each sponsor sponsored the final in some small way, the FTF prize could be quite something.

Seeing as it's likely to be a while before it gets found, may I suggest that it's contents are kept to a minimum until it's clear that it's not far off being found, just in case it gets muggled or otherwise damaged in some way.

Sorry for the lenght of this, I seem to have do some thinking out loud :laughing:<_<;)

If I'm talking cobblers, tell me :laughing:

I too had a thought or two on the subject of prizes. I know not everyone is into coins, but it might be nice if we could get a set of coins minted for finders of the final cache and/or the country level ones? FTF coins could be in gold say, and others in some sort of silver. Dunno how we'd fund it though...

B.

Well, if someone who knows about such things produced, say 500 'ordinary' ones for sale, that could finance the 12 odd super smart ones as FTF prizes

I am a sucker for shiny geocoins (my IOM ones arrived yesterday, very nice they are too)

And bronze for general sale - maybe the Sponsors would by one each ?? for FTF prizes in the counties.

Money to fund the Gold and Silver would come out of the profits from all sales. If the expected sales would produce enough profit, then the bronze FTFs could also be funded.

Thoughts ?

I would certainly buy one as the FTF in my county cache, plus at least one for myself asa souvenir

I think the regional/national ones need to be distinctive and not for general sale - or perhaps have separate numbering (reserved numbers or special codes held back: BQAAAA/BQBBBB etc, or a special icon?

Thoughts ?

I would certainly buy one as the FTF in my county cache, plus at least one for myself asa souvenir

I think the regional/national ones need to be distinctive and not for general sale - or perhaps have separate numbering (reserved numbers or special codes held back: BQAAAA/BQBBBB etc, or a special icon?

The problem with FTFs for the country level caches and final caches is that there is a risk that the same people will get them all. Personally, I think the number of people who would actually achieve the final cache will be very small and it would be nice if everyone who made it could get a coin that could only be got by finding the final cache. I appreciate that this might not be possible, but perhaps a set number of 12 say could be made, with more made later if necessary?

Also, although it would be nice if all the coins were trackable, I'm not sure that this is really essential for the prize coins. Maybe the space for the tracking number could be replaced with 1st, 2nd, 3rd or FTF, FTF+1, FTF+2 etc? The coins sold could be trackable as normal. Just a thought...

B.

When we signed up for this all of 6 short days ago, it was a challenge where the FTF would collect some info from a cache in every county

Not only the FTF, but anyone who finds the cache

Doh! was having a blonde moment when I typed that!

The idea of Traditional style caches only has been included in the project virtually from the start, and the majority of posts have been in favour of this, with some feeling for Offset caches also to be included. That seems sensible where the cache-placer want to take the seeker to somewhere interesting e.g. a monument or similar, but it is not allowable to place the actual cacahe at that site. In such cases an offset is more appropriate.

The US scheme also recommends Traditional caches only, in Regular sized containers. They don't allow anything else in their guidelines.

I'm sorry that you think that limiting to Trads and Offsets trivialise the quest. Most posters seem to think that the idea of collecting all the caches, Regional, National or overall, is a definite challenge. Also a number of cachers have made very valid points that, considering the distances involved (and the time commitment made), it would be very frustrating to find that what was assumed to be a fairly simple puzzle-cache turned out to be impossible to crack when at the site. If you want puzzle caches , sneaky hides etc. why not add those to your visit to the area where the Quest cache is placed. There are lots of caches around, there will, almost certainly, be others near the Quest cache site.

I dont think that limiting it to Trads and Offsets in any way trivialises the quest, and I would hope that no cacher would place "what was assumed to be a fairly simple puzzle-cache turned out to be impossible to crack when at the site." as it most definitely wouldnt be fair if a cacher had made a journey of great length specifically to find that one cache. However I dont see what the problem would be in a solve at home and check the co-ords with the cache owner before setting off on 300mile trip type puzzle?

The main thing that I think is trivialising the quest is limiting terrain rating to 2.5. As you said in your first post, the US equivalent could take up to 5 years to be completed. Some of the terrain 2.5 caches we have done could be classed as cache and dashes. Yes in the UK it might be a big undertaking to complete the challenge geographically but several counties could be done in one day here. Mainland Scotland could probably be completed in one weekend without any problems! Could as many caches in the US equivalent be collected in a weekend? The BIGquest could be completed in under a month!

The geographical challenge in the US is huge taking into account the distances involved - on mainland Britain the distance between John O Groats and Lands End is 874 miles - yes its a large distance but not HUGE. The geographical challenge here is tiny compared to the equivalent.

Dont get us wrong - we think the quest is an excellent idea (thats why we signed up at the start) but for it to be a true challenge there should be a variety of caches in a variety of terrains. Leave it up to the individual setter to decide on the cache they want to place. have less rules - I know of cachers who are put off this idea by the rules they will have to understand and abide by to have their caches included. So what if the challenge isnt completed for 3-4 years here because there are several 5/5 caches which take a great deal of planning into completing, along with a few 2 hour multis, some quick drive bys along with what will probably be the majority of traditional 2.5/2.5 caches. If a cacher really wants to be proud of their achievement make it a real challenge- physically and mentally

This cache is the final cache to a series of 6 caches in the one region. It has been active for nearly 4 years, you only need to get answers from 5 virtuals, granted one of them are on top of the 2nd highest mountain in the UK. But in that 4 years only 6 people, yes only 6 have actually completed the quest.

I think this quest is more of a challenge than what you are giving it credit for? if someone completes it in a very short time, then well done them, but I know it will take me a few years to be able to complete it, and maybe a couple of years to just complete Scotland.

I'm finding myself agreeing with Team Clova, if we are building a challenge to maximise the number of possible participants then 131 roadside micros would seem to serve the purpose, but dont we already have "Motorway Mayhem" for that. I think the challenge should contain the best that caching has to offer, surely there is room for a few puzzles and the occasional 5/5 along the way.

I think it is already decided that there will be no roadside micros. Who decides who places the trads and who places the few puzzles/offsets and more challenging caches. What you are asking for will make it more challenging. Also an easy puzzle for one person would be a total nightmare for another.

I would expect cache owners who have a large varied amount of caches to know that what appears to be an easy puzzle or even multi can be very difficult for some to complete. As what appears to be a very difficult cache some people find extremely easy to complete.

So to sum up I fully disagree with what Team Clova are saying.

The distance, logistics and cost for nearly all cachers is what the real challenge is!

I have to say, I agree with HH that this quest is likely to prove very challenging - I myself will be shocked if anyone finds it within the first year... and I suspect it will be a lot longer!

However, I don't think a single stage offset is adding much to the difficulty - I intended to set it such that the time taken to do it would be almost identical to the time if I could have put a cache at the first stage... if you see what I mean!

When I first started thinking this issue through I thought "no puzzles because some people won't be able to do them", this led me on to "no dificult terrain because some people wont be able to do them". Prety soon the only challenge left is is "can you afford the time and petrol to get round them all". The question is wehre to draw the line.

I think that with this sort of quest/challenge it is mostly about location: rather than being a tour of all the variety of caches available, it's a tour of the country. If I was going to do it I'd hope to be taken to somewhere that epitomised the county the cache was in. Or it could just be as close to the centre of the county or some other geographic thing. I wouldn’t mind some of the caches being simple off-sets or puzzles. Eg, a walk along the high street of Kendal to collect some info about its history to locate the cache would be a good way of having a Kendal cache. It will be interesting for the setters to think how to 'sum up' a whole county, eg, Cumbria is hugely varied from lakes & hills to heavy industry or hi-tech stuff, farming and tourists etc. What makes Cumbria unique?

Any puzzles would want to be simple and related to the prime purpose of touring the country, seeing the sights and finding out a bit about this varied place we live. So a multi that took you to a couple of the best local sights before finding the end cache would be fine as long as it didn’t take a really long time. But given the main challenge is going to be getting around all the places, lots of traditional caches in really interesting places is what I’d be looking for. I don’t think it should include really hard caches (5,5) because it then seriously limits who could do it, eg if you need to scuba dive, that’s a significant proportion of cachers out. Eg, I wouldn’t want to set a Cumbrian cache on the top of a major fell, partly cos it’s limiting but also because it’s only one aspect of Cumbria.

The challenge for setters is "show me xxxxx county with just 1 cache" the challenge for finders is getting around the whole thing, and the reward is to 'get to know' the uk.

:rolleyes:

This cache is the final cache to a series of 6 caches in the one region. It has been active for nearly 4 years, you only need to get answers from 5 virtuals, granted one of them are on top of the 2nd highest mountain in the UK. But in that 4 years only 6 people, yes only 6 have actually completed the quest.

I think this quest is more of a challenge than what you are giving it credit for? if someone completes it in a very short time, then well done them, but I know it will take me a few years to be able to complete it, and maybe a couple of years to just complete Scotland.

The series you mention is a challenge, yes, but if you look at the profiles of the cachers who have chosen to complete that one, they did it over a comparitively short time - or over just a 2 or 3 visits to the area. they specifically went after this series. We have collected 2 of the required answers for this one ourselves but are unlikely to make a special trip just to complete this series. The BIG quest is more likely to attract competition from cachers to be the first to complete it. I know That looking at the location of the Scottish regions, mainland Scotland could easily be done in a couple of days with simple 2.5/2.5 caches. From your home, I imagine at least 20-25 of the Scottish caches will be within a radius of 50 miles? Not a particularly huge challenge for you to complete over a short period of time?

I think it is already decided that there will be no roadside micros. Who decides who places the trads and who places the few puzzles/offsets and more challenging caches. What you are asking for will make it more challenging. Also an easy puzzle for one person would be a total nightmare for another.

Why can cachers not just place caches they feel comfortable placing? Perhaps some cachers know of perfect spots that a roadside cache would be in a perfect location? There is nothing wrong with a few simple drive bys. We have done caches with a 2 minute flat walk that have been rated 2.5 for terrain - so do we have all the BIGquest caches like that? What we might classify as a 2 star puzzle, you might class as a 5 star. it just means that you find puzzles more difficult. You would find a 5 star terrain cache easy - we woulod find that a lot harder - I know I would feel a greater sense of accomplishment completing a 5* terrain cache than a flat walk?? Would the same not apply to solving a puzzle?

I would expect cache owners who have a large varied amount of caches to know that what appears to be an easy puzzle or even multi can be very difficult for some to complete. As what appears to be a very difficult cache some people find extremely easy to complete.

I suspect that is aimed directly at us? Yes I know that some puzzles can be difficult, we will always help out anyone who asks us. No, we won't give a direct answer, but will point people towards web resources/a starting point where they can work it out themselves. We would do the same with any cacher who was having trouble with a BIG quest puzzle - help them to start working it out themselves!

The distance, logistics and cost for nearly all cachers is what the real challenge is!

I find myself totally agreeing with your last statement - It has become a challenge of who can afford to drive round 100+ easily accesible caches - I dont think that is what the challenge should or was envisaged to be?

The question is wehre to draw the line.

I think OldGimmer is doing an extremely good job of implementing that at the moment. He has also done it very democratically.

Yes OldGimmer has done an excellent job so far. He has got cachers throughout the country enthusiastic about this project, but surely to be a challenge the quest should include the best of what the country has to offer? Cachers who can think up fiendish puzzles, caches that will show you breathtaking scenery from the top of a mountain, caches that you can drive up to and draw breath at the beauty you can see at a viewpoint not just a load of short walks with a 3 figure number at the end?

Unless all cachers can choose the type and difficulty of their caches the whole challenge just becomes a driving challenge. It could be noted that most cachers had agreed to set a cache for this project BEFORE rules about where and what caches they could place were even mentioned? (page 5 of the 7 page thread)I know I didnt sign up to set a cache that someone could drive 10 minutes off the motorway/dual carriageway, park, have a 5/10minute walk, then back to the car and onto the next county - as I see it, thats what the quest will become if we are constrained to what we can set so the challenge isn't too difficult??

I agree completely with Haggis Hunter on this one. What he says makes sense.

I know that it has been said before, but the plain and simple fact is, this is going to be difficult enough as it is. Other people seem to find puzzle caches easy, but I often need help with them. I hate to hassle people for help (however, if help is volunteered, I accept it gratefully :rolleyes: ). Multis? While most multis are no problem, there are times when I muck those up horribly. That's frustrating enough when I'm about 45 minutes from home. How much worse would it be, if I were on the other side of the country, had invested much time, energy and money in getting there, and couldn't get the cache? No thank you.

I think that trads and simple offsets only are the way to go. There's already so much that could go wrong (especially when I'm caching)! :unsure:

Unless all cachers can choose the type and difficulty of their caches the whole challenge just becomes a driving challenge. It could be noted that most cachers had agreed to set a cache for this project BEFORE rules about where and what caches they could place were even mentioned? (page 5 of the 7 page thread)I know I didnt sign up to set a cache that someone could drive 10 minutes off the motorway/dual carriageway, park, have a 5/10minute walk, then back to the car and onto the next county - as I see it, thats what the quest will become if we are constrained to what we can set so the challenge isn't too difficult??

Not everyone will live in a county that has rolling hills as far as the eye can see so I think it's inevitable that some caches will have to be placed in locations that will only be, say a ten minute walk from car to cache.

Re: Name and Logo...

I'm not sure what people are after, but thought we should start somewhere..

Daft Dog Designs

Click on "Cache Logos" then on the logo for a bigger image. I'll add some more soon...

All creative comments welcome.

Thanks

Dave

PS Sorry its a link, I can't work out how to out get the picture in the forum.... !

Edited by The Fozzies

Looking at the names on the county list, there is a lot of experience of finding and placing caches. While guidelines are a good idea we would suggest a better option is to leave it to the individual cache setters to use their experience and set a "quality" cache for their area. This could be of any type but should be fairly easy to find once there. A puzzle would be acceptable if it can be solved and confirmed beforehand; there is no shame in asking for help! All cache coordinates would need to be very accurate and offsets/multis would need to be unambiguous. Keeping an eye on how people find the caches (number of DNF's, ratings, etc) would soon suggest any potential problems.

If you set too many rules or make it too prescriptive you risk discouraging those who wish to set the caches. Trusting to the local people would lead to a more diverse and interesting challenge,

Helen and Carolyn

I am not looking for an argument, I have gave my opinion and don't see any need to repeat it. It is after all OldGimmer's project so what he finally goes with we should all try and accommodate, or move over and let someone else help in the area. As far as I am aware no final decision has been made. Let's wait for him to say what he wants, he has the difference of opinion on the matter. Nothing wrong however with others saying what they think though.

I would like to cover two points from your post though.

I suspect that is aimed directly at us?

I take my hat off to you and everyone else who has listings that are well over 3 figures, but let's not get excited, it doesn't mean I am singling you out because of this. There are many people within this fine country of ours that have many varied caches, you are not alone!!

Out of my paltry 40 listings and measly 600 finds, I would like to think I have got some grasp on the fact that no two people are the same at completing any one cache. This is what I meant by my comment above.

It could be noted that most cachers had agreed to set a cache for this project BEFORE rules about where and what caches they could place were even mentioned? (page 5 of the 7 page thread)I know I didnt sign up to set a cache that someone could drive 10 minutes off the motorway/dual carriageway, park, have a 5/10minute walk, then back to the car and onto the next county - as I see it, thats what the quest will become if we are constrained to what we can set so the challenge isn't too difficult??

Perhaps next time BEFORE you volunteer for something, you wait until the OP has actually said what he would like. You, myself and many others volunteered before he said what it was he was actually wanting. If you look back at page one, he was asking for opinions to set the ball rolling. Some but not many opinions came on that first page. Most people just jumped blindly in and volunteered. I believe you where one of them??

So I am bemused at how you actually KNOW that you didn't sign up to set a cache that someone could drive 10 minutes off the motorway/dual carriageway, park, have a 5/10minute walk, then back to the car and onto the next county for?

OldGimmer you have taken on a large challenge, one which I hope shall take off. I personally think trads are the way forward for this, but if you decide that offsets, puzzles or even devilish puzzles are the way forward then I shall still give my support.

Edited by Haggis Hunter

I am not looking for an argument, I have gave my opinion and don't see any need to repeat it. It is after all OldGimmer's project so what he finally goes with we should all try and accommodate, or move over and let someone else help in the area. As far as I am aware no final decision has been made. Let's wait for him to say what he wants, he has the difference of opinion on the matter. Nothing wrong however with others saying what they think though.

snip

OldGimmer you have taken on a large challenge, one which I hope shall take off. I personally think trads are the way forward for this, but if you decide that offsets, puzzles or even devilish puzzles are the way forward then I shall still give my support.

Exactly.

I'm sure the final way forward will come out of all this and we'll all enjoy doing some or all of the series.

Life is varied, so is Geocaching and from reading the posts on this thread, we are too.

We have virtually the whole of England covered, the other countries need more input.

I, for one, will respect whatever OldGimmer decides is the way he wants this to run.

I can put out another cache or two in Scotland. I haven't put in for any more than my one because I didn't want to be greedy and take an area that might be appealing to someone else.

However, it doesn't look like anyone else is coming forward at this time. I'll give it another day, then I'll add myself to another couple of counties, if that's acceptable.

It could be noted that most cachers had agreed to set a cache for this project BEFORE rules about where and what caches they could place were even mentioned? (page 5 of the 7 page thread)I know I didnt sign up to set a cache that someone could drive 10 minutes off the motorway/dual carriageway, park, have a 5/10minute walk, then back to the car and onto the next county - as I see it, thats what the quest will become if we are constrained to what we can set so the challenge isn't too difficult??

Perhaps next time BEFORE you volunteer for something, you wait until the OP has actually said what he would like. You, myself and many others volunteered before he said what it was he was actually wanting. If you look back at page one, he was asking for opinions to set the ball rolling. Some but not many opinions came on that first page. Most people just jumped blindly in and volunteered. I believe you where one of them??

So I am bemused at how you actually KNOW that you didn't sign up to set a cache that someone could drive 10 minutes off the motorway/dual carriageway, park, have a 5/10minute walk, then back to the car and onto the next county for?

I do agree with the first quote in the main, but this is Oldgimmer's project and as such should abide by his rules and guidelines. On to HH's comment

"Perhaps next time BEFORE you volunteer for something, you wait until the OP has actually said what he would like. You, myself and many others volunteered before he said what it was he was actually wanting. If you look back at page one, he was asking for opinions to set the ball rolling. Some but not many opinions came on that first page. Most people just jumped blindly in and volunteered. I believe you where one of them??

So I am bemused at how you actually KNOW that you didn't sign up to set a cache that someone could drive 10 minutes off the motorway/dual carriageway, park, have a 5/10minute walk, then back to the car and onto the next county for?"

I, like many others, would like to help out in any way we can and therefore volunteered at the first opportunity. If those cachers held back waiting for more clarification of what would be required of them, we'd still be sitting here waiting for the final rules and guidelines. On the downside, it would be more likely than not, that by the time it was decided, those nearby counties of those who waited would have been snapped up.

There is nothing stopping those who have volunteered, in pulling out if they don't like the final version.

One word of warning re the T girls logo, it involves the use of a modified GC Logo which is against the Terms of Use. And something that Groundspeak actively polices.

There is a free to use geocaching logo just for this kind of thing it can be found here and here

more examples and files at the second link

example

66238_600.gif

Edited by markandlynn

Hi Folks

I'm sorry that I haven't contributed much to the discussion over the last couple of days, but I have been, as the Australians say "A bit Crook". B)

I'm feeling much better now, but unfortunately, to compound matters, I am away visiting friends until Sunday evening from later on today, the result of a long standing arrangement.

I have just started looking back over the recent posts and see that we have our first offerings for logos.

Also there seem to be number of very interesting postings. I can't comment on these yet until I have chance to read them in detail.

If I can grab access to computer over the weekend I will try to add something to the discussions.

I, like many others, would like to help out in any way we can and therefore volunteered at the first opportunity. If those cachers held back waiting for more clarification of what would be required of them, we'd still be sitting here waiting for the final rules and guidelines. On the downside, it would be more likely than not, that by the time it was decided, those nearby counties of those who waited would have been snapped up.

There is nothing stopping those who have volunteered, in pulling out if they don't like the final version.

Oh! I do agree with you. My comments on that where directed mainly at Team Clova as they have stated that they KNEW it wasn't what they volunteered for. When there wasn't actually a proper description of what we were volunteering for and it was just feedback being requested at that point. As you will see I volunteered fairly quickly. But you are correct, there will be more volunteers to come forward if someone does want to pull out, if it turns out not to be what they think it should be! :)

Here's my logo effort. (PS Thanks T-girls, I borrowed your map. I tried to do my own but it turned out rotten)

Animated

2d9odoy.gif

Static

2d9soqb.gif

My vote would have gone for T-girls, but I think Blue Magicians animated logo version is an improvement. :)

The BIG in the static version seems too large though and obscures too much of the logo. :wub:

I've put myself and/or Jack Aubrey down for East Lothian. It will be a straightforward traditional cache in a nice spot.

It could prove difficult to cover some of the more remote areas in Scotland. Completing this series of caches just in the 32 Scottish council areas is going to be a challenge, whatever the level of cache difficulty, involving at least two major ferry trips to the Western Isles and Orkney.

Edited by Firth of Forth

Oh! I do agree with you. My comments on that where directed mainly at Team Clova as they have stated that they KNEW it wasn't what they volunteered for. When there wasn't actually a proper description of what we were volunteering for and it was just feedback being requested at that point. As you will see I volunteered fairly quickly. But you are correct, there will be more volunteers to come forward if someone does want to pull out, if it turns out not to be what they think it should be! :)

No Dave yet again you have tried to misunderstand/twist the words of someone who dared to disagree with you by again bringing your petty niggles onto this forum.

When I made my initial post on the forum I was expressing our interest in the project in the hope that we would be able to set a quality cache that would represent the best of my county. A 10 minute cache just off the main road is not going to do that. I therefore KNOW that I didnt sign up for

a cache that someone could drive 10 minutes off the motorway/dual carriageway, park, have a 5/10minute walk, then back to the car and onto the next county ?

We are still interested in participating in this project but from speaking to several other cachers we know that some of the rules and restraints being bandied about on this thread are putting them off from participating. Is this what the challenge needs?

To us and many other cachers that is not the challenge we envisaged.