UK-Wide Multi-cache

We live very close to the borders of Staffordshire, Leicestershire, Warwickshire and Derbyshire so can cover any of these if required.

As for the name, maybe The BIG Challenge .. (British Isles Geocaching Challenge). After all its going to be a BIG challenge to set, organise and complete.

We live very close to the borders of Staffordshire, Leicestershire, Warwickshire and Derbyshire so can cover any of these if required.

As for the name, maybe The BIG Challenge .. (British Isles Geocaching Challenge). After all its going to be a BIG challenge to set, organise and complete.

Like it...... :(

However, the addition of having to cross the Irish Sea may put a lot of people off from completing this one.

Yes it will put some people off but it is meant to be a challenge! Basing it on the US model, they've got Hawaii and Alaska which are not linked to the main continental USA. They're not going to be the easiest to get to... :)

Yeah - Wirral really is an odd place...

Technically, I guess, it's Merseyside, but ask the post office, and they say it's not in either Merseyside OR Cheshire...

We like to think we are an entity all of our own!

I F the multi-caches were to be British Isles County Challenge or something similar, I think the list of counties should be based on legislation and use the counties that actually D O exist. Don't get me wrong, I understand the passion that people may have about the Wirral, but as Rutson pointed it is a borough. Its just that we start getting people saying that we should use Middlesex, which has not existed since 1964. Or Cumberland - not existed since the early 70's, Caernarfonshire - not existed since 1974... we've gotta be careful!

I found a list of Councils on a central government website but that would still sorting out into counties and what not.

Brilliant idea.....covers everyone/everywhere and suitably grand :)

Also like the idea of having the final on IOM

List of Counties is here. Note the English counties are on the left hand side map.

http://www.gwydir.demon.co.uk/uklocalgov/localgov.htm

The Welsh county maps on the right hand side map as we don't have separate county and borough councils in Wales. They are unitary authorities which do the job of both county and borough.

And the Scottish and northern Ireland ones.

http://www.gwydir.demon.co.uk/uklocalgov/localgsi.htm

Don't know about the Eire ones. I like the idea of the IOM having the final cache or Rockall? :) Saw the note by the JerseyRoyals - we can't forget about the channel islands down there either!!

Great idea, and how about to keep it all in line finish the name of with just the county it is in, then all the caches will be named the same and easy to refer to?

Also as this is OldGimmer's concept/idea he should keep the bookmark list for it?

So if I have got this right there will be caches in each county of each country. Once all of the county caches have been found, the "national" cache of that country can be found. Once all of the national caches of each country have been found, the final cache in the IOM can be found.

Maybe the listings could be ...

BIG - Devon

This cache is part of the British Isles Geocaching Challenge etc.

The word 'Challenge' could be substituted for any other suitable word to give it more zip, i.e. Quest (open to discussion and suggestion)

Maybe if a website is dedicated or someone has spare time on their hands (and the knowledge, of course) a downloadable county map could be produced to make it easier to keep track of each teams progress, similar to the one popular with many cachers but including all counties included. (once they've been decided)

I am in agreement with JimblondUK on this. The naming of each cache as described by him, otherwise the SMART name on the GPS bears no resemblance to the actual cache name if they are all called "The BIG Challenge - Shropshire" etc.

I also think that Challenge does not represent the nature of the cache. Quest is better, but I'm sure there maybe others.

Maybe the listings could be ...

BIG - Devon

This cache is part of the British Isles Geocaching Challenge etc.

The word 'Challenge' could be substituted for any other suitable word to give it more zip, i.e. Quest (open to discussion and suggestion)

Maybe if a website is dedicated or someone has spare time on their hands (and the knowledge, of course) a downloadable county map could be produced to make it easier to keep track of each teams progress, similar to the one popular with many cachers but including all counties included. (once they've been decided)

If it helps, and we are wanting a dedicated website, BIGquest.co.uk is available, BIGchallenge isn't!

Why not set up a GC profile in which the images html code etc are placed

A counties list showing the counties available for people finding out about the challenge.

Links to the bookmark list and who to contact if you want to help out.

As soon as the first few are listed people who dont read the forums can look up the list etc

This alos keeps everything on the geocaching site (with its super reliable servers :) )

Bambography phoned to tell me about this. We're new to setting caches, but could place one in Northants if it's still available.

Cassie's Crusaders

You missed this one Rutson...

No I didn't!

Plus i'm sure i've seen some others for Wales..?!?

Quite possibly!

List as I THINK it should be now...

Sorry to those who shouted second, gotta be first come first served. Also not on the list are those that've offered to do more than one county.

England filling up nicely, looking a bit quiet across the Irish sea tho :-(

You missed us out for ANGUS!! (yep it really does exist!! :) )

We could also do Dundee if there are no other takers

Bambography phoned to tell me about this. We're new to setting caches, but could place one in Northants if it's still available.

Cassie's Crusaders

You missed this one Rutson...

No I didn't!

Plus i'm sure i've seen some others for Wales..?!?

Quite possibly!

Sorry - Refresh is a lovely button, I'll make more use of it!

If it helps, and we are wanting a dedicated website, BIGquest.co.uk is available, BIGchallenge isn't!

A counties list showing the counties available for people finding out about the challenge.

As soon as the first few are listed people who dont read the forums can look up the list etc

This alos keeps everything on the geocaching site (with its super reliable servers :) )

I am in the process of trying to register, and arrange hosting for, BigQuest.co.uk, but having a few difficulties. When, and if, I ever get it registered I will make it available to the project and reserves will be welcome.

All it will need then will be some help in setting it up. My web design knowledge is NILL so if anyone would like to volunteer help to the task please email me direct through my profile. Bambography or MarkandLynn - Are you available, your chance to setup the website!

As previously mentioned, we urgently need someone who can set up an easily accessible database/display of which counties have been "Sponsored" and which are still available. Rutsons list is very helpful at the moment, but I am aware that he is a very busy person, and expecting him to continually update this is not something I think is right. I will happily do this task if possible. I have contacted him with a view to helping with this.

Thanks to all, keep booking the counties, but check previous posts, if you can, to see if your chosen county has aleady been sponsored as it is first-come first-served as far as I am concerned. But I am happy that we have two or more names for each county initially as I am sure that when we get to the point of placing the caches one or two people may not actually be able to complete, for whatever reason.

There's gonna be alot of travelling to get this cache done - How many tree's we gonna have to plant to make this carbon neutral?

Why don't we arrange a lift sharing scheme? Come to think of it, why don't we get 50 of us together, hire a coach for a week or two and do the lot :laughing::)

I am in the process of trying to register, and arrange hosting for, BigQuest.co.uk, but having a few difficulties. When, and if, I ever get it registered I will make it available to the project and reserves will be welcome.

All it will need then will be some help in setting it up. My web design knowledge is NILL so if anyone would like to volunteer help to the task please email me direct through my profile. Bambography or MarkandLynn - Are you available, your chance to setup the website!

As previously mentioned, we urgently need someone who can set up an easily accessible database/display of which counties have been "Sponsored" and which are still available. Rutsons list is very helpful at the moment, but I am aware that he is a very busy person, and expecting him to continually update this is not something I think is right. I will happily do this task if possible. I have contacted him with a view to helping with this.

Thanks to all, keep booking the counties, but check previous posts, if you can, to see if your chosen county has aleady been sponsored as it is first-come first-served as far as I am concerned. But I am happy that we have two or more names for each county initially as I am sure that when we get to the point of placing the caches one or two people may not actually be able to complete, for whatever reason.

If you want I can get it all registered this evening. I have a server hosting firm that I find really reliable! I can have it all linked over the weekend if you want. In fact i've already got a load of notes down for what I think should be on the site and how it should be set up. Let me know if you want me to set up the name etc and then we can sort out the content!

Bambography or MarkandLynn - Are you available, your chance to setup the website!

Sorry, my last post was rather rushed as I was being dragged off to lunch (such a hardship!).

I am, as you woul have seen above, willing to do the website, although help from other people would be appreciated as I probably lack some of the skills needed. I've got notes on the structure and databases that will probably be needed and a rough set-up.