Geocache with a route

Tractorgus

There should also be a way to download about 500 or so geocaches at a time on a regular basis. I should be able to filter them by location, type, difficulty, date placed, etc.

And I think the website should list an approximate size. I hate going to find a cache and not know what I'm looking for.

Man, you folks sure ask for a lot... :P

I wish there was a way to indicate the location of these "geocaches" with some sort of numerical system. We could then enter these "coordinates" into a small handheld device which we could use to find our way to the "geocache".

Hey, I thought you were the one granting wishes in this thread. Go find somewhere else to make yours.

Ok, please be nice, I'm new to this.

I have a question about the routes. I am going on a trip soon, and I thought I could try using a route and doing a pocket query. I used Google earth ot create a route, then uploaded the route, and got a page of information from the preview. When I went to retrieve the information from my email, I couldn't get anything. I just want to be able to open up the file on my laptop. I tried downloading EasyGPS, and Watcher from ClayJar, but I just have no idea what I am doing.

In the end, I would like to be able to use the route in a map program like Google Earth to see all the caches available along the route. Am I asking too much? Unfortuantely, the GPS given to me as a gift that got me started doesn't have the ability to hook up to the computer. It seems like all the programs want me to upload directly to the GPsr, but I can't. Please oh please oh please help!

Thanks,

Frustrated

On your "Cache on a Route" tutorial for Streets and Trips, would I still need to download GPSBabel if it is running in the background on GSAK? Thanks.

As long as you know the location of the file so you can use that path, and assuming that you have GSAK updated reasonably frequently, then you should have the latest version of GPSbabel and you can use it.

(I just did this a few minutes ago only to find that the PQ server is not wanting to work this afternoon.)

Did you unzip the file?

yup. Then i tried to Open With Google Earth. All I see is a really quick black screen with fast text running through for like 2 seconds then it disappears.

Are you sure that you tried to open up the .gpx or the .loc, which ever you downloaded? Also did you open the file from within GoogleEarth or did you right click on the file and choose 'open with'?

Ok, please be nice, I'm new to this.

I have a question about the routes. I am going on a trip soon, and I thought I could try using a route and doing a pocket query. I used Google earth ot create a route, then uploaded the route, and got a page of information from the preview. When I went to retrieve the information from my email, I couldn't get anything. I just want to be able to open up the file on my laptop. I tried downloading EasyGPS, and Watcher from ClayJar, but I just have no idea what I am doing.

In the end, I would like to be able to use the route in a map program like Google Earth to see all the caches available along the route. Am I asking too much? Unfortuantely, the GPS given to me as a gift that got me started doesn't have the ability to hook up to the computer. It seems like all the programs want me to upload directly to the GPsr, but I can't. Please oh please oh please help!

Thanks,

Frustrated

Did you do it using a different accout?

Pocket queries are a premium member feature.

Did you unzip the file?

yup. Then i tried to Open With Google Earth. All I see is a really quick black screen with fast text running through for like 2 seconds then it disappears.

Are you sure that you tried to open up the .gpx or the .loc, which ever you downloaded? Also did you open the file from within GoogleEarth or did you right click on the file and choose 'open with'?

I tried to open the file both ways, first from google earth and then right cliking and 'open with'.

Ok, I just did everything again from the beginning. I used the route I had saved as a .kml file, and submitted a pocket querie. This time, the pocket querie worked for that route. Then I checked my email, saved the file, and unzipped. The I tried to 'open with' googel earth, which didn't work. Finally I tired to open from within Google earth, and there were two files, one that had a number name and then -wpts, which was 14KB, and the other which just had a number name but it was 1526KB. The first didn't open, but the bigger file did, and I finally got a picture in google earth of all the caches in the route. woah.

Now, I know I did these steps before, but why didn't it work before? The first time I did it, the querie told me there were no caches in route, which I knew was wrong. The second time I couldn't open the file and get anything. The thrid's the charm!

Thank you for asking hat particular question. It prompted me to go back and start all over from scratch. I had better write down exactly what I did so that I can do it again. :blink:

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you everyone that helped!

-happy cacher

Did you do it using a different accout?

Pocket queries are a premium member feature.

Something odd about this.....I am a full paid Premium Member, and I get the benefits in my account, but why does my thing on the left here in the forum say tadpole, when others say Premium member? Does it take a while to kick in? Not that I mind being a tadpole, so new at this it is fitting!

Side question.....does anyone in here ever over-do-it with geocaching? I mean, like forget to eat a meal cause you gotta get one more? I am thinking maybe I need to slow down. its like taking off sprinting rather than enjoyng the walk. I had an 8 day cache yesterday (not an event), but today I was wiped out. i need to add a few snacks to the backpack. Is there a forum topic here somewhere about stuff to bring with you? I have decided that I need to always bring at least 3 pairs of gloves and a trowel for mini digs in winter snow. I have a feeling it will be easier when I am not snowbank diving. And how _do_ you explain to family members that you really do need to go to that place that you forgot the name of but you know its on page 65 of DeLorme? B)

To change your status in the forums from tadpole to premium member... you must post more than 10 times.

Go to the getting started forum, and enter the pinned thread called Test (or Testing, or whatever), and go to town. Post about 5 or 6 times (you'll have to wait 30 seconds between posts), but you'll see it change.