equipment game plan

Hi folks,

I have hatched a game plan to make my geocaching, hiking and motorcycling more enjoyable and would like feedback on my ideas.

1)I did some research and while I feel the Venture CX is a decent gps I decided that I like the idea of the SirfIII chipset to work in all areas. That being said I looked at both the 60CSx and 76CSx and for some odd reason it's cheaper for the 76CXs and it has all the bells and whistles of the 60CSx plus a few small extras such as it floats,it comes with 128meg microSD vs. 64meg and a couple other little things.

2)Become a Premium Member at Geocaching.com so I can take advantage of a few things plus help out the site.

3)Once I have a good handle on geocaching I plan on making my own cache to hide.

I know many of you will say why dontcha get the VentureCx etc. but I know I'll have the best unit for geocaching,autorouting ( I own CN NT ver. 8 from my streetpilot i3 so that will be free),and hiking. I also feel it's a plus to have a floating gps that way depth will not be a factor in the event I drop it in water.

Lemme know what your take is on my future plans.

Thanx,

Ray

Edited by raybonz

Similar to my experience when I started caching....

I chose the 60CSx because at the time there was $100 rebate otherwise I'd of done the exact same thing and gone with the 76CSx.

Good choice and plan, imo.

How do you like map version? Is it fairly good for road travel? I am looking into getting a map for mine to use in the vehicle for street nav.

Similar to my experience when I started caching....

I chose the 60CSx because at the time there was $100 rebate otherwise I'd of done the exact same thing and gone with the 76CSx.

Good choice and plan, imo.

How do you like map version? Is it fairly good for road travel? I am looking into getting a map for mine to use in the vehicle for street nav.

My i3 uses that mapping and it works very well. Walmart now carries that gps for under $200.00 and that includes power adapter, usb cable and CN NT ver.8 with full unlock for up to 2 units. Navteq maps are currently the best for USA.

Ray

Thanks for the input, Ray.

I will probably just use my 60CSx honestly, but it's nice to know about the two keys because I've contemplated a unit for my wifes vehicle.

I am unfamiliar with maps for the most part...is this particular map useful for other devices (ie. most GPS units can use the format)?

Does it include more detail then something you'd get default from like TomTom (even though I likely won't go that route)?

Lastly, what about street updates? Here in the Des Moines area there is a fair amount of major construction on the main interstate and arterial streets....would I be best to wait for those updates to be published or can you get those later on?

I appreciate the input...hopefully I haven't derailed your topic.

Thanks for the input, Ray.

I will probably just use my 60CSx honestly, but it's nice to know about the two keys because I've contemplated a unit for my wifes vehicle.

I am unfamiliar with maps for the most part...is this particular map useful for other devices (ie. most GPS units can use the format)?

Does it include more detail then something you'd get default from like TomTom (even though I likely won't go that route)?

Lastly, what about street updates? Here in the Des Moines area there is a fair amount of major construction on the main interstate and arterial streets....would I be best to wait for those updates to be published or can you get those later on?

I appreciate the input...hopefully I haven't derailed your topic.

My understanding is Garmin maps are only for Garmin units. I definitely advise checking Garmins site. I contacted Garmin tech support via email to find out which handhelds will work with CN NT ver. 8 and they sent a list of units that can use it (not all units can). Tomtom is a different animal and I think it uses Teleatlas mapping which I have heard is not as up to date for USA. For me it makes sense to use Garmin because I do own the map DVD plus I like their products and support. I do own an eXplorist 200 and it does a good job and is accurate I just want one gps that does it all. BTW go to Garmins site and browse their mapping and you can see if your area coverage is adequate.

From Garmin Tech Support:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin Cartography. All of our “x” series handheld units are compatible with City Navigator North America NT v8. The link below should help you with your research. The 60cx, 60csx, 76cx, and 76csx all have the highly sensitive SiRF receiver in them and I would recommend one of these if the price fits your budget. They are also the most user friendly. I don’t think you will be disappointed with any of them though.

I am glad to hear you are enjoying your Garmin and soon to be Garmins.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and thank you for your interest in Garmin. "

Good Luck,

Ray

Edited by raybonz