Moving other people's caches?

Hi all.

There is a cache, quite local to us, that we visited over a year ago. It is in a lovely estate of a house/castle that belonged to Henry VIII.

A log on January 2nd read;

"Found way too easily with cousins. Thought to easy so placed in different place but still same co-ordinates and same clue a nd same sort of place. Took a TB(TRUSTYFROG) and a mini frog. Left a golf ball.TFTC"

There have now been 3 consecutive DNFs, the most recent reading;

"Searched all around for this but am sorry to report another DNF. Why did someone move it? It seems to have all gone wrong since it was moved

I love this area and had a nice walk with Steve. Hundreds of deer and plenty of walks even though the house and gardens aren't open.

Please get this one back up and running and we'll definetely be back"

It has made me quite annoyed, especially as it was one of our first finds, and that we wanted to place a TB in there to help it's mission.

I can't see how a cache location can be changed, and the clue or co-ords not need updating.

What do you guys think about this? It is not my cache therefore, not my responsibility. What are your opinions on this? Am I getting annoyed over nothing?

Caches get moved unintensionally all the time. People can't seem to put it back where they got it and it can wander all over in a given area.

Moving them intensionally though is less common but still not unheard of. Some people think they have a better idea what a cache should be than the owne. It doesn't occure to them that they should leave well enough alone or if the must email the owner their great idea.

Personally I think when they move a cache like that they should find a note where their house used to be. "The location of your house wasn't aestheticly pleasing for the neighborhood so we moved it to a better location."

Edited by Renegade Knight

That is totally out of order - it is for the cache owner and noone else to move the cache!!!! :P Anyway how can it be in a different place but with the same coordinates? I get the feeling the mover is having a laugh....

They have 23 or so finds, so aren't that experienced, but neither are they that new...

One of my caches is hidden in an old tree stump where it was easy to reach, someone, in their wisdom decided to stuff it deep down among the roots, it took me 2 attempts to find it! Another was cunningly :anibad: hidden inside a hollow log, I called by for a maintenance visit and someone had dropped it back at the base of a nearby tree about 6 feet away - clearly too much effort to put it back where they found it... :P

That is totally out of order - it is for the cache owner and noone else to move the cache!!!! :P Anyway how can it be in a different place but with the same coordinates? I get the feeling the mover is having a laugh....

They have 23 or so finds, so aren't that experienced, but neither are they that new...

I only have 11 finds under my belt but I would never move a cache, it has been placed ther cause the owner wanted to place there, if someone has concerns about a cache they should email the owners instead of taking it upon themselves to move a cache. I can't see how moving a cache that it would have the same co-ordinates, I have had issues as i put wrong number in GPS, was only a 9 instead of an 8 and took me to less than 5 metres from the cache, so even a small move should mean a change in co-ordinates.

I've seen this on a cache that has been muggled twice in the month or so it has been there - 'put cache back in a more accessible position making it easier for the next cachers to be a little more discrete than i wasnt'.

So will it now be more accessible to muggles and not last long again? (i guess secondary to that is if you cant be discreet retreiving it leave it until you can be!)

Anyway how can it be in a different place but with the same coordinates? I get the feeling the mover is having a laugh....

In a tree, or a cliff face, its moved higher or lower... Same co-ords.

Shouldn't move it*. Leave a note on the page, and/or email the owner.

*We have moved a cache, but it was only inches from flood water. We moved it a foot or so higher into the hedge it was hidden behind, said so in the log, and emailed the owners to warn them.

G

I have had to move a cache a couple of times, as the original hiding place was compromised. In which case I have emailed the owner with an explanation, a thorough description of the new hiding place, a photo and, if appropriate, fresh co-ords. My caches wander about the place. On no less than four separate caches, I have assumed that a moved cache was gone and have replaced it... only for the original to later resurface!

I had a muggle/newbie visit one of my caches, who clearly thought the whole idea was to re-hide the cache in a different location! Fortunately he did mention the new coords - so I dashed out quickly to find my own cache ( :laughing: ) and put it back where it should be...

Hmmm.

That's an interesting idea for a cache. "Rehide this cache within ten feet of where you found it, but not in the hiding place you found it in", or something like that. Would that be accepted by the reviewers? The cache would then, maybe, do a drunkards walk.

A strange thing, I clicked on the milvus-milvus' link and read the cache log. I was interested to see how many caches this person had done, and whether they moved other caches as well. In his/her profile, it says that they have done 2 multi caches. When you go in to see what they are, though, it only shows one! Maybe I'm missing something? :laughing:

Hmmm.

That's an interesting idea for a cache. "Rehide this cache within ten feet of where you found it, but not in the hiding place you found it in", or something like that. Would that be accepted by the reviewers? The cache would then, maybe, do a drunkards walk.

That would be a "Moving cache" and it wouldn't be allowed :laughing:

Sorry

A strange thing, I clicked on the milvus-milvus' link and read the cache log. I was interested to see how many caches this person had done, and whether they moved other caches as well. In his/her profile, it says that they have done 2 multi caches. When you go in to see what they are, though, it only shows one! Maybe I'm missing something? :laughing:

They don't seem to have heard of a 'Note' and everything goes in as a find log so it shows as 2 finds but there is only one cache

Hmmm.

It has been done in the past, but regulations changed to ban it, as Lacto has noted.

How about submitting it as a multi, with a dozen or so waypoints, and having the final hidden at ONE of those points - with instructions in the cache to the finder to move it to another of the points?

SP has already done it here with 3 locations for the final and with 1 real and 2 dummy boxes. I'm not sure if it would be alowed under current guidelines or if it is in under the grandfather rule.