GPS in India

ssagi

Hello All,

I am Sagi, a new member from India, Bangalore.

Would like to buy a GPS and use it in India for caching purpose.

Has anybody in the group tried this before from India?.

Are there any providers for GPS service in India?

If this service is available in India, where can i buy GPS instrument?

Details pl. :-)

Best Regards

Sagi

Hello All,

Best Regards

Sagi

Geocaching is satellite based therefore available everywhere and is free to use. I suggest you post in the section on countries on this forum for availability of gps units in India.

Good luck and welcome to geocaching,

Ray

Hello All,

Best Regards

Sagi

You might try e-mail to a cache owner.

Here is one in Bangalore

If you log in, there are links to nearby caches on that cache page.

Welcome Sagi. The G in GPS stands for "Global" It will work anywhere on the planet. Unlike cell phones, there is no fee. Just buy a receiver, turn it on, give it a few minutes to find the satellites and you're good to go.

Edit: Actually, it should also work anywhere above the planet too, at least to an altitude several hundred miles. I wonder whether the signal is directional, or could you get signal above the satallites too?

Edited by Sputnik 57

I used mine on a trip through India last year from Delhi to Darjeeling and Gangtok. It worked stellar. A guide in Gangtok is overseeing a cache there for me. I LOVED Darjeeling and the Sikkim province - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

It would be awesome to see the sport develop more in India!!!

Aloha

One thing that might influence your decision is the availability of maps of your area that are available for GPS (if you get a mapping GPS...maps are very nice to have, but not necessary for geocaching). I know little of this; Magellan has a product called World Wide Basemap that has general coverage around most of the globe. Maps for any given country in this program usually has only a few main highways and the locations of major cities.

Good luck!

Edit: a non-mapping GPS will usually cost less money.

Edited by embra

Good luck in India. I work in IT and work with a lot of people from India....it's always enjoyable talking to them, but they are mostly US residents so I've never talked about geocaching with them in terms of India.

You might try the forums toward the bottom too...they cover less US-centric areas of the world.

Gday Ssagi

I was in India two years ago, before I started geocaching, but used my GPS extensively. At the time I had a Magellan Meridian (yellow) and I would mark my accomadation as a waystop and then go walking for the day without fear of getting lost. The only problem was when walking between tall buildings. I am sure it would have been fine for geocaching. As for finding a GPS supplyer in India, I am sure their are many as the country seems to have a reasonable uptake of technology. Just put the name of any brand of GPS into a google search and I am sure you will find many supplyers, and be able to purchase them cheaper than I can in Australia.

Good Luck

Hello All,

Best Regards

Sagi

I am living in India right now and use my GPS all the time. It is a Garmin 60csx, and as others have indicated, the maps are very limited (world base map) and same for magellan. I have seen some auto gps units locally that have better road maps. Have found a couple of virtual caches in Delhi, but Geocaching has not caught on that much in India yet.

Google "GPS India" and you will get some of the GPS suppliers in India.

Brian

Brian

For whatever it's worth, when I was in Bangalore I used my PDA phone + GPS for navigation, and it worked just fine.

I used the Garmin world map (very limited, not particularly accurate, but useful for trips in the county side) and I also scanned in a Bangalore street map (from a foldable paper map) which I calibrated based on Google Earth. The scanned map turned out to be quite surprisingly accurate (especially after a bit of recalibration based on a couple of track logs). I could actually do street navigation with it. At least for those streets that were even marked on the map -- Bangalore isn't exactly famous for having street names or up-to-date maps.

The image-based map is not nearly as convenient as an actual navigation-enabled digital vector map, but it is far better than being lost :)

Edited by kerecsen
I wonder whether the signal is directional, or could you get signal above the satallites too?

I think all satallite signals are directional - why waste all that energy sending signals to Mars?

They are most definitely directional. Look at these drawing and picture:

http://yourgpsinfo.tripod.com/multimedia/G...ASA_art-iif.jpg

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/data/assets/11293.gif

The candy-canes are quad-helix antennae...

Aside from the obvious waste of energy of putting out a signal in a direction where nobody is going to listen to it, the other advantage of the directional transmitter is that you avoid all chance that the signal gets reflected by another orbiting object and confuses the receivers on the ground. The disadvantage is that you can't use the GPS system to navigate a moon landing -- but then again, you may not need turn-by-turn voice guidance for that anyway...