geocaches placed in neighborhood/city parks

I apologize if this an already discussed topic and I hate to make yet another complaint department but. I have been caching for … over a year now. I still consider myself a neophyte some times but still know what I like and don’t like. The one thing I want to bring up though is caches placed in neighborhood parks and city parks. I love caches placed in parks but only when it is some where away from the playground!! I have recently come across a bunch of caches in parks and I decided to stop looking for them.

When I first started caching I only came across a couple of them and at the time was just so eager to find caches I would walk right onto the playground to find a cache attached under the slide. Regardless of the stare I was getting from the moms with their children. I am mainly a watcher when it comes to the forums. I only post when I have a topic or when I want to express how I feel about some thing or if I think my post is helpful. So I have read about numerous people having the cops called on them and heard some people mention a bad experience while caching at a park. So now I really think more about what people around me are thinking of me. A terrorist, a molester, rapist, murderer, kidnapper, some one wanting to be malicious to property???

This leads me to this. I do not like looking for caches where the cache is right next to a playground and even worse, when it is right next to a bench where most mothers are sitting watching their children (and now me) play. I know, I know, put it on the ignore list. But I just wish they would keep it away from spots like that.

I apologize if this an already discussed topic and I hate to make yet another complaint department but. I have been caching for … over a year now. I still consider myself a neophyte some times but still know what I like and don't like. The one thing I want to bring up though is caches placed in neighborhood parks and city parks. I love caches placed in parks but only when it is some where away from the playground!! I have recently come across a bunch of caches in parks and I decided to stop looking for them.

When I first started caching I only came across a couple of them and at the time was just so eager to find caches I would walk right onto the playground to find a cache attached under the slide. Regardless of the stare I was getting from the moms with their children. I am mainly a watcher when it comes to the forums. I only post when I have a topic or when I want to express how I feel about some thing or if I think my post is helpful. So I have read about numerous people having the cops called on them and heard some people mention a bad experience while caching at a park. So now I really think more about what people around me are thinking of me. A terrorist, a molester, rapist, murderer, kidnapper, some one wanting to be malicious to property???

This leads me to this. I do not like looking for caches where the cache is right next to a playground and even worse, when it is right next to a bench where most mothers are sitting watching their children (and now me) play. I know, I know, put it on the ignore list. But I just wish they would keep it away from spots like that.

Those are poor places for caches. :P

Worries of police and suspicious mothers are the least of perils in todays community sand boxes. These little seats of iniqities are hotbeds for up and coming leaders in the criminal industry. They meet and greet and converse in their own infantile language, planning (in goos and gahs) their dastardly futures. Unwitting mothers shuttle them to and fro, unaware of baby Johnnys' agenda of mayhem and destruction. Don't get caught crossing the wrong sand box, my friend. They may look cute and innocent, but they are dons of disaster and doom. Before geocaching in an unknown playground, it is highly advisable to grease the proper little palms and pay your tribute to the godkiddie, whom you will most likely locate basking in luxury near the slide, fawned upon by babes in the truest sense. Take heed my friend. Playground caches are seldom worth the risk involved. There is much easier plunder elsewhere. Leave the 3 year olds their bastions of bane. X

24.jpg

Edited by X-isle

Easiest place in the park to get a cache muggled. If you really want that cache, though, you can probably find a good time to go after it when no one's around. On the scale of bad placements this one doesn't score as badly as some.

Definitely. Just look at the way kids have fun on playground equipment- climbing over, under, around, through, between. Hanging upside down from any solid surface. Digging up the mulch and mounding it in little piles. It's only a matter of time before some curious kid spots that magnetic keyholder underneath the slide.

I've got two words for ya....

Night Caching!

9:30, 10pm... all is clear!

But, keep in mind that many urban parks have posted hours, which are actually enforced in some neighborhoods (usually to keep teenagers from hanging out in parks after dark). And there alway seems to be a neighbor near such parks who assumes that anybody there after dark is up to no good.

It's pathetic that society has reached a point where recreation in a park is being questioned.

Playground equipment is a bad location for a cache for one reason. Kids find things. The cache would soon turn up missing.

All other reasons are societal paranoia. The active use of a park by geocachers would make it a safer park.

Just about my least favorite place to look for a cache. And I'll share that opinion in my find log. But I do like to find them all at some point, so the ones near me are saved for rain, or cold or dark times. The ones I encounter on road trips get passed over if there is any family activity on site.

This is just not that big of a deal for me. If there are kids at the playground, I skip the cache with the intention to try again at another time.

I neither dislike these caches nor think that these are bad places for a cache.

Edited by sbell111

Personally, I like these caches. I have kids that are young and they enjoy playgrounds. For them it's the perfect place to hunt for one.

It's a bit hasty to label these "bad" caches. Hiding one in an electrical transformer would be bad...just because it's not ideal for you doesn't make it bad. Many of the more difficult cache locations I can't do with my kids...I don't inherently label them as "bad".

Another good discussion. I can understand the dislike of these caches, or discomfort in attempting to find one of these, given risks of being perceived or labeled a lonley freak in the park. I too enjoy the challenges of these caches--using your own kids to distract the locals while you examine the grounds for that hidden cache. If it shouldn't be attempted while muggles are around, then that's a challenge for another day. Good opportunity to bring some nieces or nephews to the park if that tact works.

Edited to note "lonely freak" as a perception. I didn't imply that the OP was neither lonely, or a freak.

Edited by Treasure Pirate

Y'know, I don't have any rock-climbing experience, and it really burns me up that people would place a cache where rock-climbing is required! And what about those caches 10 miles down a difficult trail? How the heck am I supposed to get to those with 2 little kids in tow?!?! :P;):anibad: Okay, do you see where I'm going with this? I can TOTALLY understand why some people would be uncomfortable searching for a cache near a playground. But I have 2 small kids, and I would LOVE to hunt a cache near a playground, where I could have one eye on the munchkins, and one eye on possible hiding places. The solution is simple, really--hunt the ones you like, skip the ones you don't!

BuckeyeClan

It's pathetic that society has reached a point where recreation in a park is being questioned.

Playground equipment is a bad location for a cache for one reason. Kids find things. The cache would soon turn up missing.

All other reasons are societal paranoia. The active use of a park by geocachers would make it a safer park.

I fully agree but cannot do anything to persuade a worrisome mother from calling police because an unknown male with a bag is hanging around the playground equipment.

go on the cold days when no one in there right mind would be at those playgrounds. Do you get days like those in AZ?

very seldom does it get cold. usually night time is the best for these kinds. but some parks are not the place you want to be after the sun goes down. as from the story i posted a dnf i logged last night. and i thought it would be a safe neighborhood cache to be. but i don't think there would have been any problems (which i didn't have) but it can be an unsafe place to be after hours.

Just about my least favorite place to look for a cache. And I'll share that opinion in my find log. But I do like to find them all at some point, so the ones near me are saved for rain, or cold or dark times. The ones I encounter on road trips get passed over if there is any family activity on site.

i like this idea. i didn't think of it. i just don't like driving over 20 miles searching for groups of caches and waste my time driving to a place where i know i will not be able to get it. but i enjoy going out and seeing things just the same. even if i don't get the cache.

i have no probelms with park caches... just when the cache is next to a playground, benches, picnic tables or highly used areas of a park. otherwise, i love park caches!!

I've got two words for ya....

Night Caching!

9:30, 10pm... all is clear!

Driver Carries Cache

(madmike)

the cache i went to prior to posting this thread is the reason i posted this. i had a bad (could have been bad) experience at one and this was at night. i waited for it to be night to go to it because i was attempting the first2find. and i start work at 07:00 and that is pretty much the time the sun comes up. otherwise, when the sun comes up sooner, i am getting ready for work.

some parks are just not safe at night or the park closes at 22:00.

Edited by JDubPooch

I fully agree but cannot do anything to persuade a worrisome mother from calling police because an unknown male with a bag is hanging around the playground equipment.

I fully agree as well. A city/county park is open to everyone and is fair game for a cache, providing there are no local laws or rules that prohibit it. The main thing i see as being bad about these types of hides is that they are usually mediocre as far as being exciting or fun caches to find.

For finders of these types of caches,,, use your common sense. Just like with any other potential muggle, it's probably not a good idea to even try for the cache if children are near. Don't approach and especially, don't touch a child because you think they are where the cache might be. Wait for them to leave the general area then go make your search. Sometimes you can tell the parent or guardian what you are doing. I know it's a pain but you may even need to call off your search and come back at another time. Each situation is different.

As far as the cache owner goes, it would be nice if they posted in their cache description that there is a good possibility that muggles could be present. At least this might warn a potential finder of what they might be up against.

thank you for all the responses. like i said, i wasn't tryingto make a complaint department. we all have caches we like. don't like, can get to , can't get to and blah, blah, blah. i love park caches. just within a reasonable placement.

i just wanted to see how others feel about them.

i love geocaching. if you place one, i will come.

Edited by JDubPooch

Having one of those Geocaching brochures on hand can go a long way to dispelling suspicions of you.

I've only ever been accosted by the "suspicious mom whose property backs up to the park" once, and a brief explanation of geocaching made her realize what I truly was (a nerd instead of a threat :P ).

For the geocachers with younger children, grand children, nieces, nephews or other age limited people these parks are a great way to introduce them to geocaching.

Being a dad, I found that my two daughters enjoy caching with me more if there is something to occupy them while I am searching for a fiendishly hidden micro cache (most playground caches have to be micros and fiendish to stay hidden. I can be a hero for taking them to a park and also get my geocaching fix at the same time. Bonus!!

But when I am caching alone, I might do a fly by on the park to check out the muggle activity and if muglets and mugmoms are present then come back at a worse time (for kids - better time for caching).

I have only done a couple of these Playground caches and I in general don't care to have to deal with muggles on any cache. So I avoid retail or high muggle busy area caches. The playground caches, I simply don't want to bother the families that are enjoying their day. I don't want the strange looks and can't stand the preception of being a potential danger to children and at all cost will avoid any situation that would cause someone to call the police. I don't want the police bothered with our sport/game. The problem I have in avoiding caches is that I tend to forget why I avoided them and need some way to keep better track of it.

I honestly don't think anyone needs to put a cache in or about playgroud equipment. It is just going to cause trouble for the game. I say preserve the game.

while on caching trips, we have often stopped to play on the playground equipment. there's no posted age limit. and kids? none of 'em have ever hurt me.

i believe that the more aboveboard we look, the fewer people will be upset. it's not our job to watch other people's kids, but as adults we are better able to recognize creepy or dangerous behavior. predators will not enjoy the extra company that you as a geocacher represent.

While it's true that I tend to pass over playground caches if there are 'children at play', this is because I don't want to risk having a cache muggled, not because I fear being mistaken for a pedophile. I have absolutely no problem with being in a park while children play and have never worried that a parent would think I was up to no good. I greet parents if they are near and otherwise don't worry about it.

I rather doubt this is much of an issue. The absoulte worse case scenario is that a parent or LEO may approach you. I honestly don't see that as a big deal.

... The problem I have in avoiding caches is that I tend to forget why I avoided them and need some way to keep better track of it. ...
You can use the ignore function to ignore those caches that you never wish to go after.

while on caching trips, we have often stopped to play on the playground equipment. there's no posted age limit. and kids? none of 'em have ever hurt me.

i believe that the more aboveboard we look, the fewer people will be upset. it's not our job to watch other people's kids, but as adults we are better able to recognize creepy or dangerous behavior. predators will not enjoy the extra company that you as a geocacher represent.

Agreed.

This thread actually reminds me of some of the concerns that people have with caches in 'pickle parks' or with homeless encroachment.

My take on all of it is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with geocaching. The more positive activities in an area the better.

i have to agree with some of this.

recently we looked for our first cache "placed on public property with permission". this cache we supposedly in someones front yard. it looked like it hsould be simple enough, but when we got there that wasn't the case. the coords led us to a corner, and then i wan't sure whose lot we were supposed to be on. basically, i just didn't trust my gps error enough to now that we weren't on property we shouldn't be on.

needless to say, we left and we won't be going back. i know that the cache is by the rules and everything is fine, but it just made me really uncomfortable. anyways, just thought i'd add that.

i have to agree with some of this.

recently we looked for our first cache "placed on public property with permission". this cache we supposedly in someones front yard. it looked like it hsould be simple enough, but when we got there that wasn't the case. the coords led us to a corner, and then i wan't sure whose lot we were supposed to be on. basically, i just didn't trust my gps error enough to now that we weren't on property we shouldn't be on.

needless to say, we left and we won't be going back. i know that the cache is by the rules and everything is fine, but it just made me really uncomfortable. anyways, just thought i'd add that.

That's kind of a different thread, but I tend to ignore those kinds of caches. Other people really enjoy them.

This is just not that big of a deal for me. If there are kids at the playground, I skip the cache with the intention to try again at another time.

I neither dislike these caches nor think that these are bad places for a cache.

Personally, I like these caches. I have kids that are young and they enjoy playgrounds. For them it's the perfect place to hunt for one.

It's a bit hasty to label these "bad" caches. Hiding one in an electrical transformer would be bad...just because it's not ideal for you doesn't make it bad. Many of the more difficult cache locations I can't do with my kids...I don't inherently label them as "bad".

I think the above statements sum up my thoughts on this pretty well. Parks are meant for recreation. Our collective paranoia is crippeling us as a society.

The answer? ...... Get out. Have fun. Just use your head. :huh::huh:

For the most part (it's situational) I avoid the school-grounds and park playground areas when kids are present.

If I do decide to look for one in a park playground I will approach the adults first and tell them what I am up to.

It just depends on the look and feel of each situation.

As a rule these are best done at night.

There we go. That's the way we should do it. Some cachers just charge in to any situation like a bull in a china shop.

Of course with the prevalent 'Devil may care' attitude of most people these day's, it should surprise me when some cachers don't give a <family friendly> about others either. :huh:

Even more reasons to carry one of those cheap orange vests and a clipboard in the cacehmobile.

"Excuse me ma'am, I need to inspect the playground equipment for any safety violations. Please round up the crumbsnatchers so I can do my job and I'll be on my way and out of your way in no time. " :huh:

I was thinking the same thing. It's sad that we've become so scared that we assume everybody is a rapist, molester, terrorist, etc etc. :(

That being said, I've done one or 2 of these myself. They can be done without freaking out the parental units. You just have to choose your time wisely. I had one near a playground that I drove by once because families were around. Went back at dinner time (well before dark) and it was deserted. These can be found without worrying people and within posted hours and all that. It just takes some thought and perhaps creativity, which is a big part of caching in the first place. :(

Edited by wandererrob

you know, it is healthy for parents and children to be alert. it is also healthy for them to recognize that not every unexplained adult is a predator.

predators come in a variety of forms and the single common characteristic they have is acts of predation. an adult male (even a scruffy-looking one) can be perfectly innocent and well-intentioned. the combination of being in the act of playing a game and disinterest in the children playing nearby should be good enough.

if this isn't good enough and people seem afraid, you can leave politely. you might even let them know you're geocaching and then leave politely. it's important to remember that we have a right to use public parks and that paranoia rarely leads to good.

go out and get those caches, kids!

I once hunted a cache in a playground and tried to use my son for cover. I figured if I came with a kid, I wouldn't look suspicious and would be able to get a good search in between the two of us--well, it didn't work out quite the way I wanted.... :(

I'm cool with caches in city parks, though. Just because they are harder doesn't make them bad.

Edited by Cache Heads

Even more reasons to carry one of those cheap orange vests and a clipboard in the cacehmobile.

"Excuse me ma'am, I need to inspect the playground equipment for any safety violations. Please round up the crumbsnatchers so I can do my job and I'll be on my way and out of your way in no time. " :(

that is funny...

actually, i signed up to do the USGS National Map Corps Volunteer program. they gave me a badge and i wear it when i go out caching and if some one ask, i tell them i am doing surveys. a lot of times, i intergrade getting the info i need when they are near caches. two birds with one stone.

Recently my kids (teenagers) and I went to a park to find a cache. The cache was nowhere near the playground, it was off a hiking trail a good distance from the playground (good!). However as we walked from the parking lot to the trail entrance, a toddler maybe 18 months to 2 years old, came running across the grass, heading for the trail, with no parent anywhere to be seen. The playground (at least a football field away) was crammed with parents, nannies, kids - and I kept one eye on the child (I did NOT approach her - I'm a mom too but any attempt at contact could be trouble - even I'm paranoid about that!), and I kept looking over at the playground waiting for some panicked mother to realize her child was missing. We followed the child at a very safe distance, I instructed my kids to not let her out of their sight, and I kept scanning the playground for a frantic parent. The kid was dressed in a green outfit, blended in with the foliage and instead of heading into the trail, she headed up an embankment where she virtually vanished because of the colour of her clothing.

After a long 5 minutes, a mother popped out of the crowd on the playground. She must have seen us standing there in the open, watching a "spot" on the embankment. I pointed to where the child was - and again we were a good distance from the kid, but I just couldn't keep going on my way leaving this child to potentially get lost, without *doing* something. Eventually the mother toddled along, calling the child, who definantly kept moving in the opposite direction. I told the mom that I saw her, and just couldn't keep moving til I knew she was attended to - the mother didn't even thank me.

If I'd been one of those freaky pedophile types, I could have snatched that child, unnoticed, and been 2 miles down the road (or more) before anybody even missed the kid.

I was polite, but inside I was screaming at this woman. Had we not come along when we did, that little girl could have wandered off into the woods and been lost - or she could have been picked up by a perv - anything could have happened.

I'm glad *we* were there and responded appropriately - but parents like that drive me nuts. Then we wonder why we are so paranoid as a society?

I can see the discomfort in a lone adult (male or female, but men in particular) skulking innocently around a playground looking for a cache - but I can see the value in it for those cachers with young kids. IMO if the cache owner specifies in the cache page that this is a good one for kiddies but not ideal for a lone adult, that would help folks decide whether it's in their comfort zone to try for it.

Jenn

Recently my kids (teenagers) and I went to a park to find a cache. The cache was nowhere near the playground, it was off a hiking trail a good distance from the playground (good!). However as we walked from the parking lot to the trail entrance, a toddler maybe 18 months to 2 years old, came running across the grass, heading for the trail, with no parent anywhere to be seen. The playground (at least a football field away) was crammed with parents, nannies, kids - and I kept one eye on the child (I did NOT approach her - I'm a mom too but any attempt at contact could be trouble - even I'm paranoid about that!), and I kept looking over at the playground waiting for some panicked mother to realize her child was missing. We followed the child at a very safe distance, I instructed my kids to not let her out of their sight, and I kept scanning the playground for a frantic parent. The kid was dressed in a green outfit, blended in with the foliage and instead of heading into the trail, she headed up an embankment where she virtually vanished because of the colour of her clothing.

After a long 5 minutes, a mother popped out of the crowd on the playground. She must have seen us standing there in the open, watching a "spot" on the embankment. I pointed to where the child was - and again we were a good distance from the kid, but I just couldn't keep going on my way leaving this child to potentially get lost, without *doing* something. Eventually the mother toddled along, calling the child, who definantly kept moving in the opposite direction. I told the mom that I saw her, and just couldn't keep moving til I knew she was attended to - the mother didn't even thank me.

If I'd been one of those freaky pedophile types, I could have snatched that child, unnoticed, and been 2 miles down the road (or more) before anybody even missed the kid.

I was polite, but inside I was screaming at this woman. Had we not come along when we did, that little girl could have wandered off into the woods and been lost - or she could have been picked up by a perv - anything could have happened.

I'm glad *we* were there and responded appropriately - but parents like that drive me nuts. Then we wonder why we are so paranoid as a society?

I can see the discomfort in a lone adult (male or female, but men in particular) skulking innocently around a playground looking for a cache - but I can see the value in it for those cachers with young kids. IMO if the cache owner specifies in the cache page that this is a good one for kiddies but not ideal for a lone adult, that would help folks decide whether it's in their comfort zone to try for it.

Jenn

As a forty something, bald, slightly overweight male, what should I have done? I often cache alone. Even if I was just standing there watching it could easily have been perceived wrong. My thought, when reading this, was to call 911 and keep the dispatcher on the line until mom noticed and retrieved her kid.

I won't go near the playground equipment, period. Place a cache there and it goes right on my ignore list. I have better things to do with my time than explain to the nice officers that I am not a pervert.