Event Only Coin?

Hula Bum

To me, an "event-only" coin should mean just that. it should only be available at the event and not elsewhere (other than after-market or trade). I agree with MustangJoni that a coin that commemorates an event but is available outside the event should more properly be called an event coin - it commemorates an event but is widely available.

If a special edition is distributed only to participants of an event, it could be called an event-only coin. But any extras should be scrapped if it is sold or distributed by that name. If, as the event promotor, you make too many and sell them outside the event, then you are the "bad guy" and have misrepresented your product to those who bought it at the event.

All that typed, there is nothing wrong with either type of coin (event or event-only). But they should be properly represented when sold or offered as a premium.

At any rate - what happens if you get left over event exclusives? Hmmmm....

I think that if the attendees of the event evenly split the total cost of the coins (hence, no cash surplus or deficit), then the remainders should be cached.

If, on the other hand, coins remain - then they should be sold until the cash deficit is covered and the remainders set free.

The key is to meet two objectives:

1) make the coins "special"

2) make sure no one suffers financially (unless they want to)

I disagree with two of the points above - No "event exclusive" coins should be available from the event promotors outside of the event, period. And, although I wish no one to suffer financially, that should have no bearing on the decision on what to do with a coin that has been promoted and sold as an "exclusive" item. It is dishonest to represent a product one way then renege on that promise if it does not suit you financially.

In the past there have been a number of discussions, and I think as much consensus as can be reached in this forum, that if a person promises that a coin will be minted in X quantity - and has sold the coin with that "promise," that it is unethical to then mint more of that coin for sale. I think the same holds true for any other promise that has been made in order to promote the sale of a coin. The seller has an ethical, if not legal, obligation to keep to their word.

If the attendees split the costs (essentially purchase the coins) then they should be able to do what they want with them - provided that no limits were imposed on the sales of the coin (unless all attendees agree to dispense with the limits).

Edited by tokencollector

The portion of my post that you quoted is out of context.

If you read my entire post, then you will see that I suggest that verbage be used to *clearly* designate the coin as exclusive or commemorative. (that's the part you failed to quote).

What I am suggesting in the portion of the post you did quote is that a disposal method should exist and we should not be so blinded as to make someone suffer financially for having created a coin for an event.

So... IF all the participants at the event EVENLY pay for all the coins consumed - then remainders should be destroyed, defaced, and otherwise not made available. Let's say minting was $500 and 50 people show up. I think each pays $10 and the rest are destroyed (or evenly given to those attending/paying - so they can trade them - no...that's not fair...they have to keep them... no they have to DESTROY them!)

IF, on the other hand, someone is left holding a surplus of coins and a deficit of cash - then, I for one, have no issue with them selling what they need to recoup costs. Some people might. I just don't care if someone sells coins to get their money back.

Why is it important for an event coin to only be available at an event? Mostly so that those attending can be part of an exclusive ownership club and get bragging rights that they have the coin because they were there. That's fine. It's childish, but that's fine. I mean - you were there. Isn't that enough? What is the point of having a coin to prove it? This is the path of special metals, super XLE, Ultra-rare, coins. In my opinion it is a joke and has nothing to do with caching - it's collecting. Personally, I collect geocoins, not geocoin collectible editions.

I rather have the personal coin of a cacher that cost $4 to mint than a super-ultra, exclusive, event-only, limited edition, friend of the organizer, special metal, trackable, custom-icon, super deluxe, professionally designed, ho-ha coin.

I think the most important thing is to manage expectations.

If you say the coin is only available at the event and will never be sold outside of the event - then you are obligated to honour that statement. Be careful - in this case, if you do not re-coup your funds you are still obligated to honour your statement and not release any outside the event.

If you say there will be a special event coin for attendees. Then you are obligated to honour that. You are not saying that it is exclusive and I think most reasonable folks don't expect unpaid volunteers holding a free event to have to get stuck with a bill and destroy the extras.

In the end - your event coin is still special folks....really ... it is. Just because someone else had one, don't feel all sad and blue. Everytime you look at your coin you can have found memories.

It is the perception and the reality of coin scarcity that creates coin theft in the first place.

This is the problem with the commercialization of coins. As soon as money is involved everyone gets their buns in a knot.

Hope that clarifies my thoughts.

I think the most important thing is to manage expectations.

Agree 100%. I think that is more the point of the thread than having the super-exclusive coin itself.

As soon as money is involved everyone gets their buns in a knot.

Also agree 100%. You said a mouthful there! :rolleyes:

Ah-ha!

I went and read the original post again. I see the edit that the coin was advertised as event-only.

That's that then. Event-only is a very short, clear phrase. eBay is not the event....no selling there!

I have a better solution :rolleyes: It involves what geocoins have always meant to me - they are signature items. However, we are so far beyond this. "You can't put the juice back in the orange"

"You can't put the juice back in the orange"

But you can still put the Yime in the Coke! :rolleyes:

yipes! there be dragon's in those words! ;)

I'm not sure if others know this, but the Yime's actually have infinite Yime-o-y powers. Strangely, for some reason whenever I make a tea or have some water, I just dunk that Yime and my beverage is delicious!

The portion of my post that you quoted is out of context.

If you read my entire post, then you will see that I suggest that verbage be used to *clearly* designate the coin as exclusive or commemorative. (that's the part you failed to quote).

Sorry if I took things out of context. As you suggested, there should be a clear distinction between event commemoratives and exclusives. I actually wholeheartedly agree with most of what you said in your follow-up post. I still think an exclusive should be an exclusive regardless of financial reprocussions. I don't particularly care about event exclusive coins (or, more generally for coins commemorating events that I have not attended - really cool designs excepted). But, I do think that a person should stick to what they promise in coin, or any other, sales.