Drilling geocoins

I've received a few geocoins from the States today which I want to drill before I release. Some have a fully enamelled face. Is it safe to drill the enamel or will it crack?

Do you use a regualr Tungsten Carbide drill bit?

Any tips would be appreciated, as I'd hate to ruin any of them. :P

I've received a few geocoins from the States today which I want to drill before I release. Some have a fully enamelled face. Is it safe to drill the enamel or will it crack?

It's highly likely that the 'enamel' is in fact plastic resin.

Pick a spot that's flat and without too much detail. Give it a light tap with a centre punch, just enough to centre the drill. Make sure the drill is sharp and hold it down firmly. Use a pillar drill if you have access to one. Be careful as the drill breaks through as it will probably 'snatch' and that can be quite painful if you're the one holding it down. Better to use a machine vice (or let the wife hold it).

I drilled all of mine using hardened stainless steel drill bits in a pillar drill. I put some card around the coin and clamp some vice grips over it to hold it steady. As Pharisee says, watch for the snatch when you break through the other side!

I've never had any issues with any of the coatings cracking. The coins get quite hot when you drill them, and don't be surprised when you discover the metal inside is actually a totally different colour to the finish of the coin!

Drilling holes in them isn't ruining them enough?? :o

A coin I recently drilled and released visited 2 caches before it was stolen.

Sad isn't it? I released a UK geocoin over in the USA (that big geocoin black hole just beneath Canada) I had drilled 2 holes in it, attached a small keyring with mission details and it was laser etched with "Cryptik Souls Crew"

Despite my efforts, someone still stole it!

All mine go out undrilled.

I've 20 circulating and none have been stolen yet.

A few cachers hang on to them for quite a while and some are in remote infrequently visited caches.

Why deface something which will never be recreated?

In reality the cost of a coin is small in relation to what you spend on caching transport etc.

Hope you all get the chance to find one of my non-defaced coins at some point.

All mine go out undrilled.

I've 20 circulating and none have been stolen yet.

A few cachers hang on to them for quite a while and some are in remote infrequently visited caches.

Why deface something which will never be recreated?

In reality the cost of a coin is small in relation to what you spend on caching transport etc.

Hope you all get the chance to find one of my non-defaced coins at some point.

I must be very unlucky then :P

The first two coins I released were undrilled and were stolen. The next two I drilled and attached a keyring with mission statement and one has already been taken. The last one is safe with a cacher at the moment but I don't hold much hope for it when it gets released.

I am seriously considering not releasing any more because although I appreciate what you say about caching costs, I get the enjoyment from my expenditure for that and I will not, in future, pay to add to some thiefs coin collection.

I know what you're saying. If these go missing I won't be getting any more, which is a shame, as I love finding geocoins - couldn't care less about trades.

I don't consider drilling them defacing. I refering to my poor attempt to letter punch the back of one.

I got a titanium 2.5mm bit today and drilled Geocaching Police Squad. I would recommend a glove if you hold it as the burr can fly. Didn't suffer from the catching mentioned earlier in the thread. Looks great, so I'll do the rest tomorrow when I've got more time.

Oddly enough I've just been out to check on a coin from Germany that was thought to be muggled, but I'm glad to say it was fine!

A lot of the German cachers are now sending out laminated photocopies of their coins instead of the coins themselves - I came across one in a cache recently and almost didn't notice it was a 'coin' - it looked more like someone's caching business card.

I can understand that people don't want their stuff to be stolen, but wonder what others think of the 'photocopying' idea?

A lot of the German cachers are now sending out laminated photocopies of their coins instead of the coins themselves - I came across one in a cache recently and almost didn't notice it was a 'coin' - it looked more like someone's caching business card.

I can understand that people don't want their stuff to be stolen, but wonder what others think of the 'photocopying' idea?

I've read here that some people photocopy both sides of their coin, stick each onto a metal washer, laminate that and release it. That way it has some thickness and weight so it feels more like a coin than just a thin laminated one.

You'd have to check the max. thickness of your laminator though!

I think it sucks, I would be mighty unimpressed if I went out of my way to pick a coin up and arrived to find a crappy photocopy.

I can see Cryptiks point of view, and at least they have put their money where their mouth is and sent their coins out into the wild.

I think sending out a surrogate item with your coin number on it is fine, but I dont like the laminated coin substitutes, and think that you can be more creative than that. I picked up a 'not another micro' coin where what the owner had actually done was get a not another micro pin badge, cut off the pin and attach a wee tag with the number on. That way it LOOKED like a NAM geocoin, it's mission was to go into micros and the icon you got actually looked like the item. Pretty cool.

In an attempt to avoid the unimpressed geocacher miles out of his way just to get your coin scenario, I would suggest that you make it clear on your geocoin page that it's a surrogate.

One of my coins is a laminated colour photocopy – and I’m sure it is no coincidence that this is the only one of my coins and travel bugs that hasn’t gone awol during the last year.

It does feel wrong not releasing the real thing, but sadly it seems to be the only way to stop them being stolen.

I know most people hate the idea of a copy (as do I) so I clearly mention this on the coin’s web page. That way if you don’t approve of what I've done you know in advance. If you don't like it don't move it on.

In an attempt to avoid the unimpressed geocacher miles out of his way just to get your coin scenario, I would suggest that you make it clear on your geocoin page that it's a surrogate.

It does feel wrong not releasing the real thing, but sadly it seems to be the only way to stop them being stolen.

I know most people hate the idea of a copy (as do I) so I clearly mention this on the coin’s web page. That way if you don’t approve of what I've done you know in advance. If you don't like it don't move it on.

I too don't really much like the laminated photocopy type of coin - it can be a bit of a let-down when you don't get to see the real thing. :laughing: But I agree with what Alibags and *mouse* have to say - as long as it's made clear on the Trackables page, then you've covered yourself, haven't you?

Might release mine now............... :ph34r: