GBA DeathMarch coin

Kealia

We earned Avroair's coin last December for the oldest cache in NJ. It is a sharp looking coin and one that we will defintely keep.

We also earned a Tour de Cache coin about the same time. For this one, we had to log one cache per county in NJ (21 counties) and then complete a 22nd cache. The best part about this one was that we didn't even know that there was going to be a coin until after we had completed the tour.

Earned Tour de Cache coins are gold. The cache owner also made a silver available for sale. This let us buy some to put out as travellers and keep our gold one in our collection.

Kealia's coin and the setup for earning the coin seems like a great way to combine the friendships that come from caching and the fun that accompanies coin collecting.

We attended a local event in southern NJ this morning and cached the rest of the day meeing several cachers we hadn't encountered beforehand.

Hope to see more efforts like the GBA DeathMarch.

Glad you like it and really "get" it. It's a great momento to look back on and recall the aches and pains and friendships.

I recall Avroair's project and another recent Texas challange as well. Maybe they'll catch on and we'll see more and more coins that have some deeper meaning to those who earn them.

woo hoo! 11 people participated in the DeathMarch the previous weekend and there are already talks about 2 more being planned for April. I'm sure the coin spurred interest for some (not all, some people don't care - can you imagine? :rolleyes:).

I'm glad that it's renewed interest in the long group hikes, whether the coin is involved or not.

If 12+ miles make a DeathMarch, I wonder what my event cache would be considered. My hiking event will take place in 4 weeks from now and consists of a 52.3 km hike, which I suspect will take approximately 13 hours of continuous hiking at a pace of 4km/h. There's 13 cachers commited so far to participating.

Have a look:

GCZZZ0

Ok, a bit off-topic, but hey it's my thread :huh:

How did that get approved as an event? In the past, events couldn't be about getting together and finding caches. (Maybe I shouldn't say anything, the black helicoptors might start circling :rolleyes: )

Why should there be an issue with getting this cache approved? My 52.3km event is not about getting together to find caches. The event is about geocachers getting together to do a challenging hike. If someone does decide to stop and find a cache, that is totally their choice, but then they will have to play catch-up to catch up with the rest of us.

I've wanted to do this hike for awhile now and I thought it would be better and safer to do it with a group of cachers, so the idea of making it into an event was formed.

I just updated the page to add a link so people can track our progress from home, which I think is rather neat.

Wow, yesterday was a pretty cool day for me! Last night I got an email notification that a cacher had visited one of my nearby caches and left something special. I rushed out of the house and found one of these cool coins!!! Thanks to that mysterious cacher, I finally have a coin I figured I would never obtain! :anitongue: Happy Dance!!! :anitongue:

Just curious if you still have to be living in the Bay Area to get one of these, or just accompany people on a GBA deathmarch.

It was my understanding that you had to accompany them on a Deathmarch...but I didn't think you had to live there...just go along.

Now, after re-reading the thread, I see why it was a sock puppet account that dropped the coin this week. Placing this coin in a 1.5 star terrain cache may get the cacher lynched by folks that actually did a death march! :rolleyes:

Of course, I wouldn't know...since if I went on one...I would be dead now. :o

Ya gotta love mystery cachers.

Mystery Cachers are cool and do a great job of making alot of people smile. Although in this case it makes me wonder. Does the smile of one person who did not complete the goals of a coin to earn it outweigh the smiles of the people who completed some serious caching to actually earn the coin?

While I like frivlas, I just don't agree with the way she got the coin, but that is more the fault of the mystery cacher than hers. that is why this post is meant to be about the coin, not her, and I hope it is taken that way. To me it would take away from the exclusivity of the coin that only a few were able to get. If I had completed the DeathMarch and earned this coin, I would assume everyone else who had one did the same, and we would share a common bond. By others getting the coin through other methods, it tarnishes the mystic of the coin. Just my thoughts, but I was also a hard liners for the OFIGA coin as well. I feel coins are like caches, not everyone has to have every one. Some are meant for a select few, and that can be a good thing.

About the only thing I would consider a "deathmarch" would be something like Bataan, or some of the other forced marches that POW's took while in Germany towards the end of WWII.

Not sure what other names could be considered, perhaps GBA Forced March, GBA Hike from He??, Killer Coin Quest, etc.

I don't say these things out of meanness, just that certain deathmarches mean quite a bit to others.

Change of Subject

You said that you had 100 made, and that you do not think you will sell all of them, so with that in mind, why not offer them for sale to those who complete a GBA sanctioned 12 miler?? As an addition to the current rules, the non-member must complete a 12 miler with two or more registered GBA members.

The reason I ask the above, is I would gladly participate in one of your hikes, not only for the cache, but for the opportunity to have a GBA coin. I don't live in the Bay Area, and will not move there, but I would take time off during a vacation to stop by and cache with some locals, especially for the chance to purchase one of those coins.

the brewmeister

In Belgium there is an annual march called "De Dodentocht" = The Deathmarch

a 100km march, nonstop which has to be done within 24hrs

started with 65 participants in 1970

now... over 9000 participants

Wow, I wish I knew about this one when I lived there. I tried to participate in the Nijnmegan (spelling??) march when I was stationed there, but duty called, and I was unable to. The worst part is I lived in Belgium and Germany for six years, and wasn't able to participate in Nijnmegan at all.

the brewmeister

I had wondered about this coin for some time now... Just thinkin as the OP as far as what a special coin it would be and the meaning behind it.

Any chance of a Death March for BigD...Just a hop, skip and a jump from the Bay area and id definatley be down for some old fashion leg crampin hikin!!! I need it too!

Even for a Proxy, Id be there! :anibad:

OH and as far as meaning behind the name... Its clever and down right suits the coin for the purpose. I LIKE IT!!! I am sure there are no underlying meanings or references and what our ancestors went through is something else. Wording may refer back to the true Death marches if you looked it up, but id say theres many references that can be taken in other ways in what has happened in the past.

:ph34r: ... Id hike a mountain for one of these or shoot even to see one- Any mountains to climb??? B) ....REALLY!

Bumping a very old thread because of the "remember when" thread and the fact that we've had 10 new members in the last week qualify for this coin through 2 separate DeathMarches.

To me, this is what coins used to (and sometimes still does) represent.

I'm glad to see locals (new and old) still excited to earn one of these!