GBA DeathMarch coin

Kealia

Not for sale!

This is why I still enjoy coins = coins that mean something.

This is my latest coin for our local group (GBA - Geocachers of the Bay Area).

Quick history:

- A "DeathMarch" is a term coined by one of our locals a few years back while going on a long group hike

- Subsequent DeathMarches were arranged and enjoyed (well, maybe not enjoyed..... :P )

- A group of us started talking about a momento for the hikes and this idea was born (although it took over a year to get to it)

- A guideline was established for qualifying for the coin (6 hikers, minimum elevation gain of 1,500 feet and a total distance hiked of 12+ miles, done in the Bay Area and posted on our local boards for all GBA members to join)

So, the coin is not available to everyone, but stands as a great keepsake for those who have gone on a GBA Deathmarch. It was just announced a couple of weeks ago and it already spawned a new DeathMarch to be orgnaized this past weekend (sadly I got hit with the flu and couldn't join).

I wouldn't expect to see it on people's trading lists as they are limited to one per cacher who has participated (much like the gold APE coins were), but I thought you would enjoy seeing the coin and hearing about it anyway.

1.75 inches, red translucent paint, shiny silver finish (don't recall the exact metal)

dmfronthq1.jpg

dmbackfe2.jpg

Evil, evil, evil...posting a pretty like that when there's not a chance for me ever to get to go on a DeathMarch.

By the way, my husband Toolman, and I call some of our hikes "DeathMarches". Oddly enough they fit your criteria rather closely!!

It's a thing of beauty, Kealia!

(sadly I got hit with the flu and couldn't join)

The FLU? That's NO excuse to miss an event called a DEATHmarch! Suck it up, slap on some extra gutchies, guzzle a quart of Pepto Bismol, and MARCH already ya nancyboy!

Also, I'm kidding.  And too fat to march myself, so yeah...I'm full of it.

:P

Thanks for the compliments. I will say that YemonYime did a great job of turning my thoughts into an actual design and Coins & Pins did an excellent job of making it come to life.

They've gone over well so far. The pics don't do them justice either.

LoL, you call that deathmarch

My max lies around 32 miles and 5000 feet elevation gain .... but not in the bay area :P

but the coin looks great, to bad it won't be available to me :o

notworthy.gif

Slightly off-topic: How long did 32 miles take?

My longest (I think) was about 16 miles but the 3,000 feet of elevation on this cache was the most memorable because of views like this:

3bce5542-65b2-4234-bc5b-7857eb7eb991.jpg

(not me, for those interested)

Edited by kealia

:P Do other areas have these "deathmarch" events... especially Seattle/Tacoma area?? Sounds like a Very good idea By the way, excellent looking coin you have there.

I know for a fact that TotemLake organizes a "hike of the month" in that area. As far as I know he hasn't made a coin for it, but maybe you could talk to him about it. He's a nice guy - tell him I sent ya~!

That is fantastic (and just a bit inspiring!) and I hope to someday see one in person :P

Inspiring. Hmm... maybe the Powell River forest canoe route...

Very nice coin! And an interesting idea too. Achievement coins... might have to think about that one. :lol:

I hope this does spawn some other "merit coins" or whatever you decide to call them.

Please do open a thread if you do - I'd really like to see more of these.

I was wondering, how many did you have made? The reason I ask is that if it's a farily small number, then did they end up costing a fair bit per-coin? If they weren't all the expensive per-coin to have made, then what are some of the ways you were able to keep the cost down?

Or, was the cost per-coin or total cost for the run not something you were all that concerned about?

Just curious in case anyone around this area decides to try creating a merit-type coin.

I was wondering, how many did you have made? The reason I ask is that if it's a farily small number, then did they end up costing a fair bit per-coin? Just curious in case anyone around this area decides to try creating a merit-type coin.

This coins is kinda similar to the Oldest Cache in New Jersey project where we made 100 coins and had a voucher placed in the Gerbil cache. To lower the costs we opted to number ours instead of making them trackable (saving $1.50 per coin) since it was a 'merit' coin we felt the hunt was more relevant than the trackability.

I like the concept of merit or achievement coins, I used my first personal that way. It exemplifies the challenge behind the cache rather than a numbers achievement. For personal reasons, I don't care for the theme.

Would be nice to see more of these, and when opportunity presents itself, a chance to find one in a cache.

This coins is kinda similar to the Oldest Cache in New Jersey project where we made 100 coins and had a voucher placed in the Gerbil cache. To lower the costs we opted to number ours instead of making them trackable (saving $1.50 per coin) since it was a 'merit' coin we felt the hunt was more relevant than the trackability.

Good point. I only had 100 of my personal Ferreter5 geocoins made (non-trackable, numbered, 2D dies, trade-only, 1.75-inches, 3.5mm) and I know what they cost me. I was happy to pay for them out of pocket. I'm not sure I'd want to assume the same cost for a merit coin, although making the merit coin smaller (e.g. 1.5-inches) and other small changes (e.g. lack of colors) would help lower the cost.

Just pondering the possibilities for the future. Thanks for the reply!

It is def. an out of pocket expense, but having non-trackable and no icon certainly helps keep the cost down. Our coin company doesn't charge for the first 5 or 6 colors, so that wasn't an issue, course the larger size was... There is a price break at 250, but we likely will never sell a 100, so it didn't make sense. It's been so much fun to see how excited people are and the renewed interest in setting up these group hikes. I personally love it because it gets a group out that often don't cache together and they really end up supporting one another, as it's a long hard hike! The reports back on the local forum are often hysterical and heart warming.

I certainly hope that more do this kind of thing and that you share it here so we can all enjoy!

To provide more details:

I only had 100 made, non-trackable. They are 1.75 inch and have a good hefty feel to them (don't recall the thickness). Am I worried about the out-of-pockt? Not really. Sure, it was more expensive because it was a smaller run, but I knew that going in.

For this coin, the plan is:

- Front the money for 100 coins

- Sell the coins at $10/each (obviously more than they cost)

- Once my out-of-pocket is recouped, the extra money will be used to front another project for the GBA

I'll likely never sell all 100, but I'll end up seling enought to cover my costs by summertime (likely).

If we never sell enough to fund the other project, then it's a lesson learned and I have a bunch of extra coins sitting in a box in my office :P

It is def. an out of pocket expense, but having non-trackable and no icon certainly helps keep the cost down. Our coin company doesn't charge for the first 5 or 6 colors, so that wasn't an issue, course the larger size was... There is a price break at 250, but we likely will never sell a 100, so it didn't make sense. It's been so much fun to see how excited people are and the renewed interest in setting up these group hikes. I personally love it because it gets a group out that often don't cache together and they really end up supporting one another, as it's a long hard hike! The reports back on the local forum are often hysterical and heart warming.

I certainly hope that more do this kind of thing and that you share it here so we can all enjoy!

I earned my coin and there is nothing like being totally spent and you are able to see your truck... It was only a 4 hour hike away.

To hold the coin brings back all the fun, and fellowship of the hike. Can't remember the pain, but I think I was a sight when I finished..

I love the coin and to me, one of my most valuable.

:huh:

Edited by Mystery Ink

Not for sale!

This is why I still enjoy coins = coins that mean something.

This is my latest coin for our local group (GBA - Geocachers of the Bay Area).

To provide more details:

I only had 100 made, non-trackable. They are 1.75 inch and have a good hefty feel to them (don't recall the thickness). Am I worried about the out-of-pockt? Not really. Sure, it was more expensive because it was a smaller run, but I knew that going in.

For this coin, the plan is:

- Front the money for 100 coins

- Sell the coins at $10/each (obviously more than they cost)

- Once my out-of-pocket is recouped, the extra money will be used to front another project for the GBA

I'll likely never sell all 100, but I'll end up seling enought to cover my costs by summertime (likely).

If we never sell enough to fund the other project, then it's a lesson learned and I have a bunch of extra coins sitting in a box in my office :huh:

Now I'm confused... Is the coin for sale?

LoL, you call that deathmarch

My max lies around 32 miles and 5000 feet elevation gain .... but not in the bay area :huh:

but the coin looks great, to bad it won't be available to me :huh:

notworthy.gif

Slightly off-topic: How long did 32 miles take?

Around 13 hours walking time including stops which got more and more numerous at the end :D The multicache in question is actually about 12-13 miles if done like the owners planned. Leave your car at the end-point and use public transportation (bus) to reach the start. I planned not to use the bus but walk both ways. I could not use the intended parking place so ended up leaving my car 1 mile further away. And then after a few miles I notice that I left my handy and on it the cache description in my car ... well, I just continued my on my way. A little further I noticed that I would be able to leave my car there and continue hiking from there, so I returned. And I found the cache :D and was very tired at the end ...

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anybody. The coin is sold within our local group (GBA only).

I was just trying to answer somebody's question on how the whole thing was structured.

I'm not advertising here - just showing off the coin.

Edited by kealia

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anybody. The coin is sold within our local group (GBA only).

I was just trying to answer somebody's question on how the whole thing was structured.

I'm not advertising here - just showing off the coin.

SO, it can only be obtained by doing a death march or by being part of the GBA?

It can only be obtained by participating in a GBA deathmarch. There are rules as to what constitutes an official GBA deathmarch. :( I carry my deathmarch geocoin proudly in my wallet. :(

--Marky

If 12+ miles make a DeathMarch, I wonder what my event cache would be considered. My hiking event will take place in 4 weeks from now and consists of a 52.3 km hike, which I suspect will take approximately 13 hours of continuous hiking at a pace of 4km/h. There's 13 cachers commited so far to participating.

Have a look:

GCZZZ0

If 12+ miles make a DeathMarch, I wonder what my event cache would be considered. My hiking event will take place in 4 weeks from now and consists of a 52.3 km hike, which I suspect will take approximately 13 hours of continuous hiking at a pace of 4km/h. There's 13 cachers commited so far to participating.

Have a look:

GCZZZ0

Now, where is this drooling icon?... :(

This sounds absolutely terrific.

And now I have dreams of a GBA march from Moffet Field to the Ferry Building in San Francisco on a long and nice summer day...

There is not much of an elevation gain if we walk on the trails along the bay, but couldn't this qualify as a GBA deathmarch?

Have a look:

GCZZZ0

Ok, a bit off-topic, but hey it's my thread :(

How did that get approved as an event? In the past, events couldn't be about getting together and finding caches. (Maybe I shouldn't say anything, the black helicoptors might start circling :( )

Have a look:

GCZZZ0

How did that get approved as an event? In the past, events couldn't be about getting together and finding caches. (Maybe I shouldn't say anything, the black helicoptors might start circling :( )

Yes, I wondered about it too...

As for the kind of march that would qualify as a DM, I think discussing the GBA forums will be more appropriate so I'll post it there to keep this very thread on topic.

Have a look:

GCZZZ0

How did that get approved as an event? In the past, events couldn't be about getting together and finding caches. (Maybe I shouldn't say anything, the black helicoptors might start circling :P )

Sure not trying to rain on his event, looks like fun. but I wondered the same thing, we just had one turned down for that very reason. It was just restructured as a breakfast event and then was approved.

OT, looks like a nice coin, almost worth another trip to California :(

It can only be obtained by participating in a GBA deathmarch. There are rules as to what constitutes an official GBA deathmarch. :( I carry my deathmarch geocoin proudly in my wallet. :(

--Marky

So than why is it sold to the GBA members?

It can only be obtained by participating in a GBA deathmarch. There are rules as to what constitutes an official GBA deathmarch. :) I carry my deathmarch geocoin proudly in my wallet. :laughing:

--Marky

It's only sold to people who have participated in a GBA deathmarch. So far, I think that has only GBA members have participated. It isn't sold to anyone who hasn't been on a GBA deathmarch, no matter how much they whine... :laughing:

Ok, didn't mean to stir anything up or confuse anybody. This is a local-only coin that can only be purchased by members of The GBA after participating in a GBA DeathMarch.

So why post it here? Because some people still like to see what others do with coins. It's not an advertisement for the coin nor The GBA. It's just us showing off a local coin to the community. Clear?

Ok, didn't mean to stir anything up or confuse anybody. This is a local-only coin that can only be purchased by members of The GBA after participating in a GBA DeathMarch.

So why post it here? Because some people still like to see what others do with coins. It's not an advertisement for the coin nor The GBA. It's just us showing off a local coin to the community. Clear?

Yep clear. It's a local commerical coin with purchasing requirements (you gotta do a deathmarch!) :laughing: It's nice to see what (local) coin projects are out there so an idea can be shared. This coin is an example of that.

Good luck to all those who try! :)

Yep clear. It's a local commerical coin with purchasing requirements (you gotta do a deathmarch!) :)

I don't know if I'd call it commercial. From what I understand, all the proceeds go back to our local group to use for group related things (like milestone pins, etc.) Would that be considered commercial, or benefit or what?

--Marky

So in essence we could drive from Victoria BC, spend some time in the Bay Area enjoying the sights, hook up with a few others (6 marchers required) and do a DeathMarch. At the end we'll have had a great trip, seen new places, met new people, climbed new peaks and come home sore, tired, broke and have a new coin to brag about.

Can't think of a better holiday!

This would be a great challenge around here with all our 'Deathmarch' qualifying hikes and peaks in BC! Thanks for the inspiration Kealia!

I don't know if I'd call it commercial. From what I understand, all the proceeds go back to our local group to use for group related things (like milestone pins, etc.) Would that be considered commercial, or benefit or what?

--Marky

I was using commericial as a term for defining it being 'sold' rather than it being given away as a freebie. There seemed to be confusion in the thread whether the coin was free or not.

BINGO! We have a winner. biggrin.gif

Sweet! Mail a coin 12 miles from my house so I can march and go and get it! :rolleyes:;)

So in essence we could drive from Victoria BC, spend some time in the Bay Area enjoying the sights, hook up with a few others (6 marchers required) and do a DeathMarch. At the end we'll have had a great trip, seen new places, met new people, climbed new peaks and come home sore, tired, broke and have a new coin to brag about.

Can't think of a better holiday!

This would be a great challenge around here with all our 'Deathmarch' qualifying hikes and peaks in BC! Thanks for the inspiration Kealia!

I hope you do in fact do something similar as that was the reason for posting this coin - to share what we are doing so others could do the same if interested.

As for the rest, unfortunately, the coin is only available to GBA Members (meaning that you not only have to be registered on the site, you have to live here). Sorry. ;) I appreciate the fact that some like the coin, though.

Maybe you'd be able to convince a local to part with theirs, but it's unlikely since we're limited it to 1 per person - not 1 per person per march. Maybe you could pry it from their cold, dead hands if they don't complete the next Deathmarch! :rolleyes: