Sign in to follow this  
Followers 6
SteelHead[BC]

Should i bring back the Geocaching Talk Net?

i want to but i need some help from you guys to cheak into it and 2 cheakins are not going to do it

Come on guys it would be fun to get this running againe

SteelHead[bC]

I'd try to join, but I don't have the slightest clue how to work the ecolink.

I know how to enter a freq and shift, and how to hold the PTT key down. If it takes more than that, you'd have to spell it out like I'm a two year old.

The Net was a nice idea but was too late for me here in Indiana. May be a time for the East, and one for the Western areas. Just a thought.

Trees, KC9JFX

I think the net would be fun. Couldn't hurt to give it a try. Just say when and where and you can count me in.

K5KCK

I know how to enter a freq and shift, and how to hold the PTT key down. If it takes more than that, you'd have to spell it out like I'm a two year old.

To use echolink, you need to download the current software from Echolink. They have instructions on the website which makes connection pretty easy. It also explains all the ins and outs of echolink on the webpage. With a click of a button, you can talk to many hams all over the world. Let us know if you need help with setup.

*To use Echolink, you must be issued an amateur radio license from the FCC*

KE5EHZ

TacRat

Edited by TacRat

If I can, I'd love to check in. I'm usually home at that time (8:30 local), but after trying to check in and hearing no one, I figured it was defunct.

Would it just be an Echolink thing, or would we use IRLP also? IRLP works better for me, but I can do either. Same node as before? You'll have to remind me...

KC0NSR

Well it seems that we have some intress in this net .... i used to run net controle for this net with help from Old Hippy when i could not do it .... we can have a net go this week for a dry run if you like . it would run on Echolink Node 2243326 and IRLP 1507 .

I run the Echolink and Irlp so if there is a problem let me know

Lets have some fun guys ...it used to be a real blast running the net and lots of GeoHams had fun with it to

lets get a Time and Date set ..i need some input from you guys

SteelHead[bC]

VE7WCC

or even connect up and say hi

ECHOLINK 243326

IRLP 1507

Edited by SteelHead[BC]

I think Thursday is a good day like it used to be, but I dont remember the time it was at. I would say a good time would be somewhere in the evenings where its not too early and not too late for those on the west coast or those on the east coast.

Edited by TacRat

To use echolink, you need to download the current software from Echolink. They have instructions on the website which makes connection pretty easy. It also explains all the ins and outs of echolink on the webpage. With a click of a button, you can talk to many hams all over the world. Let us know if you need help with setup.

*To use Echolink, you must be issued an amateur radio license from the FCC*

KE5EHZ

TacRat

I don't get it. What about the radio? When do I talk on the radio?

I would try to explain it, however www.echolink.org gives a much better and easier explanation than I ever could.

' date='Mar 6 2007, 09:16 PM' post='2749140']

Well it seems that we have some intress in this net .... i used to run net controle for this net with help from Old Hippy when i could not do it .... we can have a net go this week for a dry run if you like . it would run on Echolink Node 2243326 and IRLP 1507 .

I run the Echolink and Irlp so if there is a problem let me know

Lets have some fun guys ...it used to be a real blast running the net and lots of GeoHams had fun with it to

lets get a Time and Date set ..i need some input from you guys

SteelHead[bC]

VE7WCC

or even connect up and say hi

ECHOLINK 243326

IRLP 1507

How about 9:00 pm Eastern? That would put it at 6:00 pm Pacific.

KE7LAR

Working second shift Sunday to Thursday is the reason I usually couldn't get into the net the first time around. I'm still on that shift but think a net is a great idea. The one time I did manage to check in there were groups from I think North Carolina, California and an assortment of others that checked in via Echolink or IRLP.

Short and sweet, I think Net is a good idea and will check in when I have a Thursday off if it's on that day.

I can't use Echolink as I have a router and firewalls. Will try to find a repeater that will work.

Is it true taht only 2M repeaters tie in?

N7GFK

I can't use Echolink as I have a router and firewalls. Will try to find a repeater that will work.

I have routers and firewalls, and I can access Echolink. You just have to open the ports. www.Echolink.org gives instructions on how to open the ports.

Is it true taht only 2M repeaters tie in?

N7GFK

No, that is not true. One of the repeaters owned by the local club is a 440 machine. I have seen an HF connection on Echolink. I think you just have to have the right interface.

Hope you get Echolink working!! Let us know if you need help setting it up.

73's,

KE5EHZ

TacRat

Edited by TacRat

I think there are some 2M repeters here that do Echolink. I went to the web site noted in this forum and company wanted $30 to "tune" my router. Will try and find another way.

If net is to happen, what time and date in UTC? OOps KA7LAR answered my query.

So are we a go on this?

The Geocaching Talk Net is a lot of fun and good place to just chat with fellow HAM/Geocachers,

I'll have to try and check-in again (might even try another round of Net Control...) but time logistics are impeding that plan, at this point.

73, Corey (KØAWN/MrCOgeo)

PS: Here's the "unofficial" and public-domain Geocaching Talk Net script as I personally have it with the latest update,

as always feel free to use, modify, delete it as needed.

Edited by MrCOgeo

So is the net good to go on Thursday night?

VE6SKI

Not too sure why this got posted twice, something about a flood!

Edited by ve6dave

I will attempt to check in on Thursday. I've been busy and haven't been using my radios much lately.

--Marky

ok net at 6:30 Pacific Time EchoLink Node 243326 and IRLP Reflector 9000 Thursday

Be there

see how it works out

SteelHead[bC]

VE7WCC

I missed it tonight because I had a calculus test to study for and I didn't see the time posted until now, 3 hours later. But I will make it next week. Hope there was a good turnout!!!

KE5EHZ

TacRat

Is there an HF net at all? I did a search for "HF Net" and nothing turned up that would indicate that there is or ever was a Geoacahing HF net!

Steve

KV6O

i would like it as long as you keep it on 2 meter or 70cm KD0BEP

i had it on ECOLINK and IRLP ........ need more geohams intrested to get it going againe

Is there an HF net at all? I did a search for "HF Net" and nothing turned up that would indicate that there is or ever was a Geoacahing HF net!

Steve

KV6O

I was wondering the same.

Scott

K7DXZ

' date='Jul 17 2007, 09:21 PM' post='2970006']

i would like it as long as you keep it on 2 meter or 70cm KD0BEP

i had it on ECOLINK and IRLP ........ need more geohams intrested to get it going againe

i'll spread the word :( by the way how many people do you want?

I'll try and remember tomorrow, but thats al I can say. I will probably remember about 9pm or so.

Does this still go on???? If there is anybody still interested in doing this, I would like to.

Hope we can get this working!

-Mr.Moo (KI6ZON)

I think echolink is a better idea than an HF net because not all Hams can get on HF and then you have the issues of everybody hearing everybody. Can someone confirm that the net is on Thursdays at 9PM EST on Echolink node 2243326? I'll try to check in if the net is still going.

Paul

KD8DEL

I think echolink is a better idea than an HF net because not all Hams can get on HF and then you have the issues of everybody hearing everybody. Can someone confirm that the net is on Thursdays at 9PM EST on Echolink node 2243326? I'll try to check in if the net is still going.

Paul

KD8DEL

This is a great idea!

Paul

KD8DEL

I agree. I have Echolink and IRLP capability, but not HF.

I tried tonight at 6:00 PST (1:00 UTC) and 6:30 PST (1:30 UTC), on IRLP 1507 and Echolink 243326, but no go :huh: . This is a great idea, and I would even be net control sometimes if we can get it going again.

73!

-KI6ZON (Mr.Moo)

What is this for net?

Some kind of radio link to a server on the Internet like the pmr446 user page in united kingdom?

Sounds interesting, I'm alsow interested in hamradio.

Please tell me more!

Rickey, Sweden

What is this for net?

Some kind of radio link to a server on the Internet like the pmr446 user page in united kingdom?

Sounds interesting, I'm alsow interested in hamradio.

Please tell me more!

Rickey, Sweden

IRLP stands for the Internet Radio Linking Project (www.irlp.net). With IRLP, two stations/repeaters are linked together using the internet and VOiP (Voice over Internet Protocol), like audio calls on Skype, etc.

To access IRLP, you need to connect to a node that is within rnge with your radio. From there you can connect to another node anywhere in the world.

Nodes only accept one connection, but reflectors do not. A reflector is like a repeater, and as many nodes can connect as they want.

A net is an on-the-air organized meeting, with one station being Net Control. Nobody can talk on the net without Net Control's permission.

Hope I explained this well enough!

73!

-KI6ZON (Mr.Moo)

Hello and good morning!

Yes, it was like i thought. I have tested it a little at a PMR 446 forum, and it is a very usefull with short distance radio and a little bigger citys!

How do I connect to this talk net you are talking about here? Are there many people using the "channel" ?

Hello and good morning!

Yes, it was like i thought. I have tested it a little at a PMR 446 forum, and it is a very usefull with short distance radio and a little bigger citys!

How do I connect to this talk net you are talking about here? Are there many people using the "channel" ?

Sorry, I haven't checked this forum post recentley. Like I said, you need to have access to an IRLP node. Vsit www.irlp.net to check for one near you. You will need to send the owner and email asking for permission and instructions to use their node, as they are all a little different. The standard instructions are:

1. Say your callsign and request permission to use IRLP. (Example: KI6ZON requesting IRLP link)

2. If nobody responds and says you can't use IRLP right now, continue. Say your callsign and the node number you want to connect to (KI6ZON for IRLP node 1507)

3. Before you release the PTT button, enter the number of the node you want in on your radio's keypad, then release the switch.

You should here some kind of confirmation that you are connected, or an error.

Hope this helps!

73! Mr.Moo KI6ZON

a hamcacher net would be pretty cool if someone restarted it.

I agree! :(

We should start it again.

a hamcacher net would be pretty cool if someone restarted it.

I agree! :D

We should start it again.

looks like we will have 3 people to start hi hi. i guess ill have to get my echo mac working again.

We should see if someone will let us use either an IRLP reflector or an EchoLink Conference node.

-Mr.Moo (KI6ZON)

We should see if someone will let us use either an IRLP reflector or an EchoLink Conference node.

-Mr.Moo (KI6ZON)

ok i dont know anyone with a IRLP node. how do you know find a conference node? i dont know much about either

If the net starts up again (Echolink would probably be easiest, although I have access to both), I'm in.

73 de VE7RJT