How far did you go ?

mgoose

How far did you go for just one certain cache. Not a business or vaction trip .

The one cache that got in your head and you just had to go get no matter how far it was. :D

Looks like TT2(Tube Torcher II) is pulling cachers from diffrent states.

So how far did you go and what cache was it that got in your head!! :D

Edited by mgoose

How far did you go for just one certain cache. Not a business or vaction trip .

The one cache that got in your head and you just had to go get no matter how far it was. :D

Looks like TT2 (Tube Torcher II ) is pulling cachers from diffrent states.

So how far did you go and what cache was it that got in your head!! :D

Edited by mgoose

I personally haven't gone more than maybe 10-20 miles for a cache. I scrapped a 15-mile journey this past weekend (due to weather, assuredly not distance) which will likely, next weekend, be among the longer trips specifically to cache.

I see no reason at all to go after a cache that is hundreds of miles away. *Maybe* if I could form some sort of vacation around it, but that's doubtful. Fitting caching into an otherwise noncaching vacation, sure. I'm going on a cruise in November and you can be sure the laptop and gps are coming along. :D

In the West distances are great. We regularly travel 120 miles round trip to cache, as we have depleted the local area. We travel South to Sedona, AZ in the winter as it is usually 20 degrees warmer than Flagstaff.

The farthest for one that was in my head so to speak was a first to find that was 45 miles as the crow flies but more like 65 driving.

What is TT2?

Flag_Mtn_Hkrs

Mark & Johnny

Edited by Flag_Mtn_Hkrs

In the West distances are great. We regularly travel 120 miles round trip to cache, as we have depleted the local area. We travel South to Sedona, AZ in the winter as it is usually 20 degrees warmer than Flagstaff.

The farthest for one that was in my head so to speak was a first to find that was 45 miles as the crow flies but more like 65 driving.

What is TT2?

Flag_Mtn_Hkrs

Mark & Johnny

Tube Torcher II

Got it in my head to do the oldest active cache in the state. The Spot about 76 miles "as the crow flies"

Made a quick trip from central Florida to Washington D.C./Maryland mostly to do the A.P.E. cache.

Amen to that! South Carolina to Maryland and back again with Geoholic 28. Started out as going for the APE but turned into a road trip filles with cool caches. Some of which really trumped the APE when we got there. In the end, round trip, almost a 1000 miles, I think.

X

When I saw no one had yet logged Beijing Rickshaw and Tiananmen over 24 hours after they had first been posted, I hopped on the next available flight. I lost a day crossing the international date line but still managed to score a double FTF. Round trip crow miles were ~14K. Do I need to half that since there were really two caches? :D

Oh, and my online logs were just a cover. My employer thinks it was a business trip.

That's my story, and I sticking to it...until I can think of a better one.

edit: Oops! I had the mileage wrong.

Edited by worldtraveler

I think my record distance solely to find a cache (FTF) was about 95 miles one way by road 79.1 mi. atcf. It was also a milestone cache - I think #200? I especially wanted a FTF for the milestone and it was the closest virgin that day (in Kentucky- notwithstanding the jokes :D ). (I was born and raised in KY so I am privileged to repeat the jokes- I didn't make 'em up. :D )

My record for placing a cache is about 250 road miles or 191.8 mi. atcf. it was my anniversary, but the primary reason for going to the site WAS to scout out and place the cache.

Edited by Confucius' Cat

For me, excluding vacations and whatnot, the furthest I've traveled for a cache was 196 miles one way (as the crow flies) to find Take it & Break it. This was the only cache I found that day and was my 1000th find. I traveled for this one because it was the cache that introduced me to Geocaching. Long story short a link to this cache was posted on a Jeep related website I was a part of, and it was what got me interested in caching. Beyond that it's a decent enough area to legally go 4wheeling that's not too far from home.

Having a weekend off while on a business trip to Florida, I drove 200 miles one way just to get a Mississippi cache. Knew nothing about the cache except it was the first one into the state from the direction I was coming. I also loaded the next one further down the road into the GPS just in case of a DNF.

I apparently make it a habit to travel long distances to do a particular cache. In most cases I do several other caches while in the area, but in each of these cases the entire reason for travelling was to do this one cache.

Tube Torcher I- 250 miles one way as the crow flies

Covert Cache- 525 miles one way as the crow flies

Mission 12: Blind Canal Ape cache: 435 miles one way as the crow flies

and the grandaddy of them all

Station X 4300 miles one way as the crow flies

and I am planning on making the trip to try my hand at TTII some time this year.

Here in northern Wyoming, the caches are few and far between. In fact, everything is few and far between! :P (The nearest mall is almost 150 miles away from us.) So our cache outings are usually an all day, multi-hundred mile journey.

Man I hope it's the size of an SUV and not just a Micro... :o Just kidding we had an 180+ mile 4WD Poker run and I got 3 new caches and 1 becnh mark plus was able to place 3 new caches around the where we had the run.

Clear Creek cache was the farthes one out that we went to that day.

Lots of fun

Greg

Edited by Tahoein' Bunch

The furthest distance, solely to get a cache? Well, after spending three days and 440 miles to find a cache in each New Jersey County (21) for Tour de Cache NJ Counties, we were e-mailed the coordinates for the final. We dropped everything else, and, well, it was only 50 or 40 miles each way. And we got FTF! :P

As opposed to geocaching vacations. We planned a vacation around the A.P.E. cache in Maryland. Visiting caches in South Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia and Pennsylvania. But that was a multi-cache vacation trip.

Traveled 200 miles for one cache (Lame Colt Cache, GCHYQ6). This included 30 miles of low range 4x4 travel over rocks and through mud and then short hike to the cache. This cache only gets 2-3 visits a year.

Did another high altitude cache, (Miller Time 4x4, GCQZRC) only 30 yards of 4x4 low range in a steep section that involved 180 miles in one day. That cache was only logged 3 times in 2006.

Posted pictures with both logs.

About three years ago, we drove from Bremerton, WA to get the virtual cache at the Wright Brothers Memorial in NC. Hurricane moved in and we moved out. We only picked up 60 caches in the whole trip. This year we are going to drive to the Gulf Coast and then up thru New England to finish up the states we need to cache in to "Work them All". Will have to fly to Hawaii and will probably drive to Alaska

a year from this summer. Dick W7WT

Well, Sue and I drove 248 miles one way, for an approximate 500 mile round trip, to return to northern NJ in 2005 to finish tackling Devil's Hole, an excellent 5/5 cache which we had not been able to complete a few weeks earlier.

And, in early 2006, I flew 1,400 miles one way, for about 2,800 mile roundtrip air miles, and then rented a car for four days and stayed in the SW Houston, TX area for four days while completing the early stages of the famed Quantum Leap cache in Texas.

Well... I'm fixing to go 2071.9 miles in May to get the only remaining active A.P.E. cache in the U.S.

Oh, I forgot I already went "2515.7mi from your home coordinates " when I found that cache in St. Lucia.

Of course I told the wife it was a 25th anniversary vacation. :)